Start by marking “The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)

The Last 8

(The Last 8 #1)

A high-stakes survival story about eight teenagers who outlive an alien attack—perfect for fans of The 5th Wave

Clover Martinez has always been a survivor, which is the only reason she isn't among the dead when aliens invade and destroy Earth as she knows it.

When Clover hears an inexplicable radio message, she's shocked to learn there are other survivors—and that they're
Expected publication: March 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Last 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last 8

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 28, 2017 marked it as arcs-physical
young bi/aro Latina pilot and marketed as full of plot twists 👀👀

Arc received from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review. [ releases: March 5 2019.]
Laura Pohl
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
if I don't rate if 5 stars who will amirite

Content warning: Clover struggles with both PTSD/depression, and even discusses a suicide attempt.

05.28.2018 update: My cover is live! It also has an excerpt from the first chapter if you want to read it.
Rafael Fulanetti
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I was breathless and I couldn't let go of it until it was finished.

The characters are so real and interesting. I was eager to have more and more information about them and watch their interactions. It's fun, it has drama, a well structured story, aliens , spaceships and friendship.

Go buy this book as soon as it lands the market. I promise you won't regret it!

Iris
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Laura has a fresh writing and she managed to create awesome characters. It's diverse, funny, but also emotional. I loved Clover, but my favorite one is Iolanthe. Full of plot twists and almost no romance, it's the alien adventure I wanted. Friendships takes a big role on this book, just like family. There are physics, adventure and spaceships. Everyone is so clever! She put together an incredible group of people with the same goal.

This book is a must read and I can't wait f
Sofia Soter
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to love this, but I had no idea how much. the story, the characters, the writing (and some passages in particular) will stay with me for a long time. my heart is now bursting with love, pride and a spark of much-needed hope.

read this as soon as you can, I promise you it's worth it.
Solaine Chioro
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÁAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 😭❤
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Apr 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
"[A] young Latina pilot who finds herself grounded and alone after a devastating alien attack" UM HOW ABOUT HECK YES?
Emily de Moura
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aro-ace, sapphic
I cried reading about teenagers and aliens and friendship so, like, read this too as soon as it comes out maybe?
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay just WOW, I didn't see all that coming
. The story is brilliant. I will divide the review into two pieces : one for the first 40℅ and other for the rest of the book.

First part of review:
While reading this novel,  I was just thinking that this was the most realistic imagination of what would really happen with aliens. The author had good writing style although sometimes I skipped the details.It was absolutely a fast read .I decided to read the first chapter only and I found myself near 100
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for the opportunity to review this book!

I want to start my review off with this: The Last 8 is a book that you aren't going to want to miss this year. This book is being marketed for fans of The 5th Wave and anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE that book and movie with all my heart. The Last 8 exceeded all of my expectations. Filled with finding friendships, aliens, finding yourself in the face of
Robson Gabriel
HOLLY MOTHER OF ALIEN APOCALYPSE!

Laura Pohl is a breathe of fresh air in YA science fiction, her book should
definitely be on everyone's radar.

With strong and diverse characters, Laura's narrative is something new and unique. It got me always wanting more and more about the Aliens and the teenagers survivors. Theres always a element of suprise in her writing.

The Last 8 is told in Clover's point of view. She needs to deal with the end of the world as she knew it, the loss of her grandparents and
Acqua
Jan 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: db, aoc, q, qf
...I've heard this has aro rep so I'm reading it.
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
May 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-tbr
Yessssss way! This sounds really gooooooood! And did you say The 5th Wave? Dang! Why could it be 2019 already.😄
ellie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

For some reason I can't explain, a book about friendship and aliens was exactly what I needed right now.

Lately, I've felt like I've been reading the same book over and over again (with slight variations) and a young adult science-fiction novel was exactly what I needed. It was incredibly refreshing on every aspect—the characters, the relationships between them, the plot, the representation, the twists and turns, etc. The Las
Laia L.K.
Oct 04, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'm definitely reading this when it comes out & leaving a review. I'm either going to be obsessed or disinterested and if it's the 1st case, I WILL tell everyone I know everything about it. Also, congratulations to the author who seems super cool BTW.

Happy Halloween 4rth muahahahaha! 🍬
Ash
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as i-need
"Perfect for fans of The 5th Wave" [okay.. very interested]
Area 51 [umm yesssss]
Alien Invasion [okay gimme *grabby hands*]
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 stars I downloaded this ARC from Edelweiss.

My first thoughts about this book were "there's no WAY these things make any kind of sense, even during an alien invasion"..........and then they sorta did. I needed a little more character development all around, though. Just telling me what they looked like didn't really cut it. It did keep me up past my bedtime, and I would recommend it to fellow librarians for their collection.
Melissa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very predictable, characters are inconsistent, many plot holes, number one being that you CANNOT RADIOCARBON DATE A BRICK, BECAUSE IT IS NOT MADE OF ONCE LIVING MATERIAL AKA CARBON. As an archaeologist who has learned about that scientific analysis, this really pissed me off.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Review to come.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review consideration.
Gretal
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
aliens freak me out, but this was really good
Jackie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018-reads, lgbtq, sci-fi
**3.5 but rounding up for the moment at the end that actually made me gasp**

A fast paced sci-fi adventure that pushes the survivors of an alien invasion to the brink and forces them to become the brave heroes they were always destined to be.

“The Last 8” begins at a crossroads where our main character Clover has her feet on the ground but wishes to spend her days in the sky and following her dream to work at NASA when an alien invasion occurs throwing everything she wants out the window. When sh
Aoife
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2, 3e, mar, sourcebooks-fire
Action packed and full of twists, this is an alien invasion story with a difference. No plucky bands of fighters finding that one weakness and saving the world; the only people left here are teenagers. I'll admit to some confusion about their ages; they're all described as high teens, but most of them should have been born less than fifteen years prior to the story for certain other elements to work. It's not a huge issue but it did take me out of the story a little.

I saw a couple of twists comi
Alechia
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So first off, this book is COMPELLING, fast-paced, and I couldn't put it down! I love alien invasion books, especially ones that offer diverse representation---which this one does extremely well. In fact, I'd wager it's the first of its kind to have aro/ace rep, which is phenomenal. And it isn't treated as the character's defining personality trait, either. Also, I LOVE that there are content warnings before the book, this will really resonate with readers. The author writes believable dialogue, ...more
Megan Manzano
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute wonder if you are craving a post apocalyptic sci-fi adventure. Laura immediately pulls the reader in through a gut punching opening and a main character whose voice is dominant across every page. There's so much that is discussed in this book between a raw depiction of grief, finding courage in yourself, having romantic feelings that are different from the norm, finding reasons to continue living, and finding friends during the end of the world.

The Last 8 is a dark young
Kat
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Last 8 is a wild ride that pushes adventure and friendship. The character's a well developed and are diverse in background. The author brings together alien's, mental health, friendship, and major action into one novel. The plot twists are well written and make the story hard to put down. I definitely enjoyed the fact that the author kept the action and adventure going without bogging it down with romantic side plots. The Last 8 delivers on all the elements of a good Sci-fi novel. Thank you ...more
Kelly Coon
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An alien invasion means the last 8 teenagers on earth have to kick butt and defy logic to figure out what in the name of all that is holy these aliens want. Pohl smacks you in the face with epic plot twists you will not see coming, and gives all of us a resilient ace/aro main character who uses her PILOT SKILLS and INGENUITY to save herself, her dog Sputnik (ahhh!!!), and the last teenagers on earth. ADD THIS BOOK TO YOUR TBR LIST.
Karin Goczkowski
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very much like The 5th wave! I am hopeful for the next in the series.
Olívia Pilar
Oct 17, 2017
Nina Moreno
Dec 12, 2018
Sue Heraper
Oct 19, 2018
Laura Pohl was born in Braunschweig, Germany to Brazilian parents who love to travel. She has spent most of her life in Curitiba, Brazil, moved to live in the other side of the world in Sydney, Australia and currently resides in São Paulo. She majored in Literature in the University of São Paulo, and now works as a freelance editor. She discovered her writing passion after winning a contest on wri ...more

The Last 8 (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Last 8, #2)