Start by marking “Live and Let Chai (A Seaside Cafe Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Live and Let Chai (A Seaside Cafe Mystery #1)

Live and Let Chai

(A Seaside Cafe Mystery #1)

The first book in a delightful new beachside cozy mystery series!

Trouble is brewing in Everly's new caf'. Can she bag the culprit?

Life hasn't been so sweet for Everly Swan over the past couple of years, but now that she is back in her seaside hometown and the proud owner of a little iced tea shop and caf' right on the beach, things are finally starting to look up--until a
Published July 10th 2018 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Live and Let Chai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live and Let Chai

Dale Harcombe
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everly Swan is back in the seaside town of Charm, North Carolina, where she grew up. Despite some objections from those on council especially Benedict Paine, she opens a sweet tea shop and café in her historic home. After suffering heartbreak during her time away from Charm, Everly is glad to be back doing what she loves doing. That is until one of her opponents ends up dead and she is almost publicly accused of his murder, thanks to the words of the new Detective, Grady Hays and the evidence of ...more
Linda
I really enjoyed this debut cozy by Bree Baker. It has a cozy beach setting in a town as charming as its name—Charm, North Carolina. I liked the characters, especially protagonist, Everly and her wonderful great aunts, Clara and Fran. The plot is action packed with lots of humor. There’s a white kitty to love named Maggie who hangs out with Evie. Not only does the plot contain a murder mystery, it also has a mystery involving several Little Library houses and some sneaky sand bandits trying to s ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of my favorite books of 2018, and now in my top five must read series!

When I first read about the Seaside Café Mystery series, I knew I had to check it out. Between the shore atmosphere and the Sun, Sand, and Tea café that sells varieties of teas, I was sure I couldn’t go wrong. All I have to say is, I underestimated just how much I was going to love it!

LIVE AND LET CHAI is everything I look for in a cozy mystery. And I do mean everything!
1 - Starting with the characters. Everly Swan
LORI CASWELL
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Welcome to Charm. Everly Swan has just opened her iced tea shop and café in a historic home on the beach, but not everyone is happy about it. Benedict Paine is being a royal pain. He is using his position as councilman to try to close Everly down. When he is found dead on the boardwalk with one of the canning jars she serves her tea in close by, she quickly becomes the prime suspect. Why would she do that? Sabotage her new business over a grumpy old man? Unfortunately, the tow
Ann
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It always fun to discover a new author with a new series. Everly has returned to her hometown and opened a tea shop in the first floor of her new "old" house. When a grumpy neighbor who opposed the shop ends up dead Everly is the main suspect since he died drinking a glass of her tea. Set in small town North Carolina the town's population looks good for many additional stories. Some good tea flavored drink recipes. I received an advanced reading copy of this book for an honest review.
Cathy Daniel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad the next one comes out soon! This one left me hanging! Not the mystery, that was tied up but the personal part with the hunky detective lol.
Dawn Frazier
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, it has everything I love about a cozy mystery. This will be a favorite series of mine for sure.
Patrizia
Dopo aver riflettuto un po', ho deciso di dare il massimo dei voti a questo libro perché è stato una lettura davvero piacevole, ma secondo me ci possono essere ancora margini di miglioramento.
Per i lettori italiani un piccola avvertenza: nonostante la parola caffè nel titolo della serie, la protagonista serve solo tè.
Yaritza
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new cozy mystery series that will leave you wanting some more tea to unravel the mystery. This novel has a fun cover that goes perfect with the plot and the characters. I also loved the catchy title. Thanks for the bonus tea recipes. Everly was a fun character to get to know. She is fun, strong, loving and never gives up. A victim was thought to have been killed by one of her teas. I loved how she tries her hardest to get people to come back to her shop and walked around town giving free tea. ...more
Cari
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read only cozies, but when I do pick them up, I have high standards. I read this one in a long swallow, just like the sweet tea in Everly Swan's shop! Our protagonist has just returned to her island hometown of Charm to open an iced-tea shop in a historic home. She's also living there, but town councilman Benedict Paine is averse to the idea of a woman residing in the same place as her business. When Everly finds Paine dead, he's been poisoned... by her tea. Now she has to clear her name ...more
Miriam
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Released tomorrow, this charming tale of murder, mayhem, and misdirection is set on the outer banks of North Carolina. Can you imagine setting up a sweet tea shop? It's the centerfold for the story. I just loved the scenery, the main character and the shop. If you like cozy mysteries, you won't be disappointed. And yes, there's a love story tucked inside along with an ending that promises more books in the series.

Look for a longer review at the BookLoft of German Village (Columbus, OH) http://ww
Laurie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery
A thoroughly enjoyable start to a new cozy series set in a seaside North Carolina town. I look forward to reading more in this series.

*Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is the first book in a new series. At first, I must admit I felt like I had read this story before. It certainly was a formula plot. A girl leaves her home and returns with a sadder heart and desire to start again. The reason this book garnered four stars from me, is that Ms. Baker found a way to give her main characters three dimensions.

Everly Swan, has her family traditions of making fine Sweet-Teas to back her business venture in her hometown of Charm, North Carolina. Not just one tea b
Christy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m ready to move to Charm, and when you read Live and Let Chai, you will be too! As soon as I finished this, I was ready for another. No Good Tea Goes Unpunished, book 2, comes out in February, so I have that to look forward to.

Charm is a fictional seaside town in North Carolina’s Outer Banks area. It’s got eclectic shops and characters! Living in a seaside town is my dream. I’d be like Everly’s friend Amelia and own a bookstore. The author made Charm feel real with her descriptive writing and
Denise
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Sometimes you just need a palate cleanser from denser (The Hero of Ages) or more violent (Something in the Water) books. I always turn to cozy mysteries, and this was a surprisingly good one. It was charming, and as sweet as the sweet tea the main character sells. I liked that she was a strong, capable woman who could fix her own porch railing and not have to bat her eyes to have the main male character help her. There were some minor writing things - I felt like the author was getting to know h ...more
Bridget
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was much better than I was expecting it to be. It was a 99-center for my Nook a few months ago, and admittedly I bought it because it was only 99 cents ...

Everly Swan has returned to the southern beach town where she grew up after a bad breakup to pursue her dream of opening a tea shop. Things are OK until one of the town councilmen dies, and it looks as if it was poisoned tea from Everly's shop.

As she starts to investigate what really happened, we learn more about the small town and some
AngryGreyCat
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Live and Let Chai was an impulse buy from Barnes and Noble for me and I was really happy that I picked it up. Everly Swan has returned home after leaving for culinary school and romance. She’s opening a beachfront tea, as in iced tea, shop using secret Swan family recipes handed down through the generations. When a customer dies after drinking one of her teas, Everly’s whole business and home is put at risk. She investigates to clear her name, butting heads with the new detective in town the who ...more
LJM
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Everly Swan is a great tea-maker and a terrible detective. It was a little off-putting how completely hapless she was. However, this book was a fairly enjoyable, light read. The whodunnit aspect was pretty obvious and the mystery didn't feel fully fleshed out (probably because the main character had no natural skill at detecting). So for me, it wasn't a great book, but I mildly enjoyed it. Like I said, it's something light to read.
Jenny
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book! I haven't read anything by this author before, but I will definitely look for more. The main character is sweet, sassy and mostly smart. There were a couple of times I was saying "NO, don't do that!" But it's a very entertaining series and there are lots of fun characters. I loved that they talked about "Little Libraries" in the story, they sound just like Little Free Libraries. I ❤ Little Free Libraries and share most of my books that way.
Allison
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The first in the series about Everly and her new tea shop in the small beach town of Charm. You have to love a book that takes place in Charm, such a unique name !
I enjoyed this cosy mystery and fell in love with Everly and her cast of friends and fellow towns people in this fun story. Well written and engaging characters trying to solve an interesting mystery.
Will look forward to more from Bree Bker and her seaside cafe mysteries.
Jodi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
I liked that the mc wasn’t this confident and brave person. She seemed the type to do more damage to herself and not think before she spoke. It made her more realistic.
Also, the small town mentality is definitely relatable. Once townies have a notion in their head, it’s very difficult to dislodge it.
Deborah Almada
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is a new author and new series for me and I found it charming. The main character Everly is a hoot and very real, her great aunts add a lot and the whole town of Charm is an adventure. The mystery is interesting and gives us a chance to check out the town and see how things play out. I look forward to seeing more of this cast of characters!!!!!
Michele
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book! Sometimes the first in a new cozy series can be just that, a first book where it’s all getting started, but not necessarily settled in. This book really had it all, a great setting, characters, story and writing. I really enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the next book.
Carol
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick and enjoyable read blending small-town intrigue, murder, and romance, with dashes of sweet tea and quirky relatives all blended in an East coast island setting. Quite a promising series start.
Debbie Price
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Oh my goodness, what a book! It is funny and has great characters! I felt at home reading this book. I could live here and wander in the cafe, have some tea and gossip! What a great start to a series!
Charlotte Groves
Dec 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't usually review books; but this one showed such complete lack of knowledge about so many things. I should have stopped after page 9, when the iced tea shop owner didn't know that honey is a sugar.
Jeannie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun start to a new series. I really enjoyed reading it and loved the idea of a sweet tea shop on the beach. The mystery is well plotted and the characters enjoyable. I look forward to reading more in this series.
Debbie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.........A light a breezy summer read. Can't wait for the next one!
Marilyn Thompson
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book in a new series. Really liked the characters and the fact that this was set in an area that I had been to before.
 Czekolada Hope
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good debut series. The plot was not twist and turn. The main character was stubborn, impulsive and annoy. I would recommend for the reader who love more romance than cozy mystery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bree Baker is a Midwestern writer, obsessed with small town high jinks, sweet tea and the sea. She's been telling stories to her family, friends and strangers for as long as she can remember, and more often than not, those stories feature a warm ocean breeze and recipe she's sure to ruin. Now, she's working on those fancy cooking skills and dreaming up adventures for the Seaside Cafe mysteries. He ...more

A Seaside Cafe Mystery (2 books)
  • No Good Tea Goes Unpunished (A Seaside Cafe Mystery #2)