Start by marking “Severance” as Want to Read:
Severance

Severance

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  50,066 ratings  ·  6,766 reviews
Candace Chen, a millennial drone self-sequestered in a Manhattan office tower, is devoted to routine. So she barely notices when a plague of biblical proportions sweeps New York. Then Shen Fever spreads. Families flee. Companies halt operations. The subways squeak to a halt. Soon entirely alone, still unfevered, she photographs the eerie, abandoned city as the anonymous bl ...more
Published August 14th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Severance, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Anna I'm not quite sure I understand the question but I'll give it a go lol. I think Bob is supposed to represent tradition/'the system'; i.e. his need for…moreI'm not quite sure I understand the question but I'll give it a go lol. I think Bob is supposed to represent tradition/'the system'; i.e. his need for organization, the pre-stalk ritual he makes everyone partake in, his religiousness. But his need to return to the old times, seems to trigger the Shen Fever. That's perhaps a warning for us to constantly change, to not is stagnation and death. Yet, change does not mean giving up everything we know. When Candace leaves and arrives in Chicago, she brings with her all the knowledge Jonathan gave her. She also realizes, she's been there before. Throughout the novel, there's a theme of finding the balance between old and new, routine and change, the memories of the past and the realities of the present.

The Arabian Nights is a tale of survival. Scheherazade tells stories so the sultan won't kill her. There's many stories to distract, but the underlying story is of a woman trying to get by as best she can, which is essentially the narrative of this novel ( I think),(less)
Jeri Paull Heh, exactly what I'm doing right now, being sucked into the internet. Heh, exactly what I'm doing right now, being sucked into the internet. Heh, exa…moreHeh, exactly what I'm doing right now, being sucked into the internet. Heh, exactly what I'm doing right now, being sucked into the internet. Heh, exactly what I'm doing right now, being sucked into the internet. Wait - what was the question? (less)

·  50,066 ratings  ·  6,766 reviews

Start your review of Severance
Roxane
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written post-apocalyptic story that goes back and forth between a woman in the world after an epidemic wipes out most of humanity and everything in her life leading up to it. Very compelling, nuanced protagonist. Maddening ending that could be stronger.
Thomas

This book stopped me right in my tracks - literally. I read it in the span of five hours; I could not put it down. In Severance, Ling Ma shares the story of Candace Chen, a self-described millennial worker drone who spends much of her life sequestered in a Manhattan office tower. With both of her parents recently deceased and no other family or close friends, she has little else to do, aside from going to work and watching movies in a Greenpoint basement with her boyfriend. Candace thus
Tasha
I must be in the minority because this book fell flat for me and the ending was a huge let down.
emma
Ling Ma served us a whole meal. A feast. A buffet. A week’s worth of Thanksgiving dinners made up of gorgeously subtle metaphor and allegory and motif, if you will.

And I will personally be stuffing myself my dear boy.

This is the kind of book that makes me wish I was still a student and I was assigned this book in an English class, and could spend a week's worth of hour-long lectures deep in discussion with 20 other people (but reasonably only four who had actually read it).

It's the kind of book
Cindy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I relate a lot to the millenial experience of banality and monotony under capitalism; in fact, I could easily see myself in the same position as the main character, where I still go to work despite the death around me. I like that the zombie apocalypse is different in the sense that it is non-violent, and more so a mindless depiction of people following the same routine over and over again. I also appreciate the additional layer of the immigrant narrative and how the main character's feeling of ...more
Monica
Severance is a very clever, dare I say brilliant allegory and/or modern day fable/ meditation on how we (specifically urban but in general all) humans go about living our lives. This was a Millennial novel that hit the spot for this borderline Baby Boomer/Gen Xer (I flex towards Gen X if you are interested). Ma wrote a zombie novel that seems to ask why fear the zombie apocalypse when we are already zombies? Ma takes aim at our extremely fast paced, material driven, internet immersed society and ...more
Michael
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
An apocalyptic satire about the global onset of Shen Fever, a plague that turns people into mindless drones, Severance follows Candace Chen as she attempts to navigate a world stripped of choice and feeling. In the main plot, Candace joins a group of survivors trying to reach a safe haven from the fever in Chicago. Along the way, Candace struggles to conceal a secret about her health, while also trying not to quarrel with the group’s self-appointed leader, a self-righteous former IT worker named ...more
Elaine
Jessica Sullivan
I feel like this book was written just for me. It’s a post-apocalyptic anti-capitalist office satire that explores so many of the themes that resonate with millennials like myself.

Candace is one of the few survivors of Shen Fever, an epidemic that turns people into non-violent zombies condemned to repeat rote tasks over and over again until they slip into fatal unconsciousness. (You can sense the metaphor already, I’m sure.)

For a few months, Candace stays on at her office job—one of the few pe
J.L.   Sutton
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The past is a black hole, cut into the present day like a wound, and if you come too close, you can get sucked in. You have to keep moving.”

Ling Ma's Severance seems ever more relevant. What if we are already losing cultural and familial connection to our world before the zombie apocalypse (or global pandemic)? If that's the case, what would we have to fall back on? Severance is a zombie book with a lot going on just below the surface. In Ma's take, zombies aren't going after humans. Instead, t
Sanne | Booksandquills
Yes, yes and yes. This was exactly what I was looking for. Just enough apocalypse to make this an eerie pandemic read, but also lots of introspection and commentary on the daily grind of office life. Read the second half in one sitting. Would recommend for lovers of Station Eleven.

*This copy was sent to me by the publisher for review.
Lori
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your standard zombie post-apocalypse. I liked the humor and Candace's detail-rich backstory, immigrated as a child from Fujian province to Salt Lake City, most of all. Her trip to Shenzhen for her book publishing job alone was worth the read.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
So I think this book is a case of the sum being greater than its parts. If you take it apart too much all it is is pieces that have been done before, apocalypse cliches, etc. But somehow the arrangement of the parts and the point of view make it a more enjoyable read for me than I would have expected if someone like Bob had mansplained it to me (ugh his character is so annoying and not even charismatic to pull of leading a group at the end of the world.)

Still I'm not sure it's likely to stick wi
Chad
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Who knew that a book about a fever outbreak crippling civilization could be SO dull? Ling Ma has talent, but this book was so haphazard and incredibly boring. It was so infuriating reading about Candace's naivety; there were multiple instances where I uttered, "she is so dumb!" while reading about her motives and inner dialogue. All the characters were mere sketches, I honestly couldn't tell you anything more than the role they play in advancing the narrative (the 'survivors' had no distinguishi ...more
Rachel
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of elements from Severance that we've all seen before - the global pandemic which brings an abrupt halt to civilization as we know it, the few survivors trying to forge ahead in the absence of a structured society, the juxtaposition of before and after narratives. But the similarities to Station Eleven or Bird Box end there, because what Ling Ma does with Severance is fuse the post-apocalyptic survival genre with anti-capitalist satire, and it works almost startlingly well.

Both w
Katie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a slow burn for me, but once I got to the last 100 pages I couldn't stop. This is the first time I've connected personally with a protagonist in a long time, and whether or not you're a "millennial" this book is more important than the trendy book cover color would lead you to believe. ...more
Jill
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Think of Severance as a stack of matryoshka dolls—an office satire inside a post-apocalyptic road trip inside an immigrant experience inside a millennial coming-of-age story inside an anti-capitalism tale. And if that sounds complicated – well, it isn’t. It all works together beautifully and the book seems eminently credible, even when it’s pushing the limits of fantasy.

So here are the “bones” of the story: a millennial named Candace Chen has fallen into a monotonous job, coordinating the produc
Elle (ellexamines)
Apr 11, 2021 marked it as zzzzz-did-not-finish
Alright so for the first time so far in my English major (yes, I'm surprised too) I will be fully not finishing a book assigned. This is objectively a very good book and I think that it's probably worth reading. However, hear me out: I physically cannot take finishing a novel about a virus that comes from China that everyone initially downplays, and before they can avoid the spread, it has slowly turned the entire planet into living zombies, but really the villain all along was capitalism? I hav ...more
Carol (Bookaria)
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019, fiction
This is an introspective, character-driven novel. I was hesitant to pick it up but I’m glad I did.

The story follows Candace Chen as she navigates life in post-apocalyptic America. The world has succumbed to the “fever” and those who have caught it are called “fevered”.

A large part of the story takes place in NYC where Candace used to work for a publishing company, and it alternates between the present post-apocalyptic America, and the time before the epidemic arrived.

The novel moves at a slow pa
Jenna
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌟 ⭐ 🌟⭐ 🌟⭐ 🌟⭐ 🌟⭐

"After the End came the Beginning. And in the Beginning, there were eight of us, then nine—that was me—a number that would only decrease."

In our modern world with antibiotics, anti-viral drugs, anti-fungicides, and vaccines, we sometimes forget that for most of human history, people routinely died of illnesses that today we can easily treat and cure. People used to die all the time from an abscess tooth! However, we now feel quite comfortable that in the event of an epidemic,
Justin
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Boy howdy, I ripped right through this little piece of dystopian apocalyptic romance(?) coming-of-age story. I liked a lot of what was going on here. It took what could have been your basic, run-of-the-mill end of the world story, and it added some depth and layers to it. Well, the author did that. I should say she added those things.

The story bounces around in a nonlinear format so sometimes I found myself in a small band of Walking Dead-like survivors trying to... survive. Sometimes I jumped
Emily B
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This didn’t live up to the hype for me. It was interesting and well written, some observations were sad but beautiful. Each main character was interesting and distinct. However I wasn’t hooked, instead I made my way slowly but surely through about 5% at a time to begin with.
Meike
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, usa
Winner of the Kirkus Prize for Fiction 2018
Ever wondered about the connection between globalization, your office job and the zombie apocalypse? Well, no worries, Ling Ma figured that out for you. Her debut novel is a mixture between immigrant family story, corporate satire, and a dystopia about a global health crisis - and while the text might not be flawless, it sure is addictive and intriguing.

Twentysomething Candace Chen, who immigrated to the US with her family as a child and is now orphane
Diane S ☔
Dnf at 20%. Probably me, just not feeling this. Lacking the patience or will to continue.
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Siobhan Jones

Look, I want to be a good book-mom here and say that I love all our selections equally. But the truth is, there are a few reads from this year that I absolutely adored— For Better and Worse and An American Marriage come to mind—above all the others. And the book I loved most of all in 2018, the queen of the stack (if you will), is Severance.

The story has two plotlines, a Before and After. Before: Candace Chen, a twenty-something year old in New York City, toil
Michael Ferro
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SEVERANCE is a very well-balanced novel, seamlessly blending dry wit, apocalyptic end games, and a unique character study. Following a young woman as she travels by caravan from a deserted New York City to the outskirts of Chicago, this book deftly blends different tones from the dark and dreary, to the heartwarming and hilarious. The humor is certainly not for everyone and tends to bend towards the bone dry, but it perfectly matches the main character of Candace, a young Chinese immigrant who a ...more
ALet
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
★★★★ /5
This book was a pleasant surprise. I tucked some important topics I didn’t expect it to explore. The main character was enjoyable to read about, her thought process and action motivations were interesting to follow.
Oriana
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of weeks ago, just before everything went completely crazy, I was about to fly to Texas for a conference and I had just finished the book I was reading. I grabbed this literally on my way out the door to the airport—it had been recommended by a friend whose tastes I trust, but I knew almost nothing about it. So imagine me, a few minutes after takeoff, having made it to the airport amid churning fears and national uncertainty about a looming global pandemic flu that had originated in Wuh ...more
Trudie
4.5

I can't get enough of these Millennial Malaise novels at the moment. So much so, I really want to host a dinner party with Candace, Janice ( The Ice Shelf) and the unnamed protagonist from My Year of Rest and Relaxation . These are my kind of women.

Candace a child of Chinese immigrants is a disaffected New York millennial, college educated with no career in sight, she spends her days in coffee shops, or wandering directionless, pessimistic about life and considering the impending apocaly
Peter Boyle
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Severance is what you might call a literary zombie novel, except that the zombies are peaceful. As post-apocalyptic stories go, it's more Station Eleven than I Am Legend. Low on thrills, but wistful, and loaded with smart satire.

The year is 2011, and Candace Chen is a successful project manager for a New York publisher. Her job is only a means to an end. Photography is her real love, but these days it's more of a part-time hobby than an all-consuming passion. Her boyfriend Jonathan plans to leav
Books on Tap - Lu...: Severance - confession 3 9 Mar 14, 2021 08:00AM
Apocalypse Whenever: July 2020: "Severance" by Ling Ma 107 95 Dec 02, 2020 01:56PM

• Quantum Roots (Quantum Roots, #1)
  • Secret Squirrels (Bob and Nikki #9)
  • Time Is Irreverent
  • Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
  • Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits (Zoey Ashe, #1)
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
  • Snow Crash
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Luster
  • Weather
  • Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning
  • Leave the World Behind
  • Uncanny Valley
Ling Ma is author of the novel Severance, which received the Kirkus Prize. Her work has appeared in Granta, Playboy, Vice, ACM, the Chicago Reader, Ninth Letter, and others.

She was born in Sanming, China and grew up in Utah, Nebraska, and Kansas. She holds an MFA from Cornell University and an AB from the University of Chicago.

Articles featuring this book

"Oh, we are living a dystopian reality!" You've heard it, you may have even said it. But despite what's happening in the world—or maybe because...
“To live in a city is to live the life that it was built for, to adapt to its schedule and rhythms, to move within the transit layout made for you during the morning and evening rush, winding through the crowds of fellow commuters. To live in a city is to consume its offerings. To eat at its restaurants. To drink at its bars. To shop at its stores. To pay its sales taxes. To give a dollar to its homeless.
To live in a city is to take part in and to propagate its impossible systems. To wake up. To go to work in the morning. It is also to take pleasure in those systems because, otherwise, who could repeat the same routines, year in, year out?”
66 likes
“A second chance doesn't mean you're in the clear. In many ways, it is the more difficult thing. Because a second chance means that you have to try harder. You must rise to the challenge without the blind optimism of ignorance.” 41 likes