Start by marking “The Wizards of Once: Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Wizards of Once: Book 1

The Wizards of Once: Book 1

(The Wizards of Once #1)

From the bestselling author of How to Train Your Dragon comes an exciting high-adventure series - set in an ancient, magical time, full of Wizards, Warriors, Giants and Sprites. #1 Sunday Times Bestseller Winner of the Blue Peter Book Award This is the story of a young boy Wizard and a young girl Warrior who have been taught since birth to hate each other like poison; and ...more
Published May 3rd 2018 by Hachette Children's Group (first published October 3rd 2017)

Jessica
The audiobook is narrated by David Tennant and was an Odyssey Award Honoree, and I can see why!

Not only is Tennant so fun as the reader, but there are musical interludes and sound effects. And it's a very fun story, too! I really liked the descriptions of the magic and the people, not to mention the magical creatures. And who knew that a spoon could make a great pet?!

July 2018: Road trippin' with my sister and my three kids, made them all listen to it!
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book. Illustrations that have a sarcastic wit to them which I always love. It’s a children’s book so of course it’s a quick read for an adult. It was a wonderful story though. I find that I love great books no matter their intended audience. Madeleine L’Engle said that she simply wrote A WRINKLE IN TIME. She didn’t write it for children or adults. She simply wrote it. I find my life is endlessly enriched by all sorts of books.

Back to this book. Did I mention adorable? There are two side
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“Surely, just because SOME Magic is bad, it doesn't mean that ALL Magic is bad?”

Wizards, warriors, sprites, witches, giants and lots more. Where do I sign up!?!?!

I've had the pleasure of reading this story twice now and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Wizards of Oncefeatures a young girl warrior and a young boy wizard. They are both complete and utter failures and outcasts in their tribes eyes but are constantly trying to prove their worth, for better or worse.

The boy, Xar is a wizard
Susan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cressida Cowell is best known for her, “How to Train Your Dragon,” series, which was a big hit with my thirteen year old son, when he was younger. My ten year old daughter has never really shown interest in those books, but she read this very happily and enjoyed it immensely. The cover attracted her, with the words, “Once there was Magic…” intriguingly written across the back of the book.

The story revolves around the conflict of a young wizard boy, named Xar, whose magic has not yet arrived at
Katie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was so cute!! I really enjoyed it! My one complaint (and I'm not sure if it's because of anything with the book or if it's just because it's middle grade) is that I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I kind of found my indifferent on what actually happened to them. But I still enjoyed the story and there were a bunch of twists that I didn't seem coming that kept me entertained! I still recommend this, especially to people who like fantasy stories and stories aimed at yo ...more
Ioanna
"You have to listen to the stories, for stories always mean something. But what worries me is...what exactly DO they mean?"
Πολύ όμορφη ιστορία, γεμάτη αστεία και περιπέτειες! Ανυπομονώ για τη συνέχεια! 😄
El Librero de Valentina
Lectura infantil, perfecta para niños de 10 a 12 años, una buena dosis de magia, valor y amistad. Personajes muy divertidos y unas ilustraciones preciosas.
Kayla
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I anticipated. The writing wasn't that good, the charcaters weren't special. The world and the atmosphere was great but I don't think this was the strongest magic book I've read.
Dashie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DAVID TENNANT MUST READ EVERY BOOK EVER EXISTS! AUDIBLE HIRE HIM ON A PERMANENT BASIS PLEASE!
Aya Hamza
"This is the problem with adventures. They bring out parts of you that you never ever knew were there."

3.5 stars. That was entertaining!
This book is set in a world where there were wizards who are Magic and warriors who are not. But our two main characters, Xar, who is a Wizard, doesn't have any magical ability. And Wish, who is a Warrior princess, tries to hide her magical objects, because she doesn't believe that magical things are harmful.

The book was entertaining definitely, but there were
Becky
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
”Magic can never be destroyed, it can only be hidden.”

This was a quick and fun read about a young boy, Xar of a Wizards guild and a young girl, Wish from a Warriors guild. They are destined to hate one another but end up bumping into each other and working together through an unheard of situation - especially since witches are supposed to be extinct but Xar and Wish stumble across one...

They come together and ignore what they’ve been taught about the other guild to fight through the situation
Azbaqiyah
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, middle-grade
I love this story. It's funny and really interesting. I really love when the characters are cursing or latah...
✩ Ashley ✩
On Hold - @5% Oct 2018 - I’ll pick this up at another time! Illustrations are neat and I’m sure it’s a hit so don’t take this On Hold as “OMG don’t read this!” rather “it’s not for me right now”.
Ula \\thelostlibrary\\
I listened to the audiobook for this and David Tennant's narration is amazing! His Scottish accent gave this book such a lovely whimsical magical feel. Obviously I was not the target audience but I still really enjoyed it.
Mel
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find myself shying away from Middle Grade novels more often than not because I tend to find them a bit juvenile for my tastes, and I know that's the point but I just generally don't enjoy them.

I absolutely loved this one. I loved the plot, the characters, and the low key hidden meanings and social commentary. I think that it is a fun story for children, especially around the Halloween season, but I also think that it can teach kids a lot.

It's a fun plot, a world where wizards are being killed
Galadrielė

▪Magic system 4/5
▪Logic 4.5/5
▪Enjoyment 4.5/5

▪Narrator 4.75/5

I listened to an audio book and a narrator was amazing. However, it was annoying sometimes, because of all the accents. But still very good, tho. I like the old raven especially. ♡

The world building, magic system are really nice, something similar, but different at the same time.

But but.. The main problem for me that I didn't care for characters at all. I felt not
Lissa
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best-of-best
This book is without a doubt one of the best books I've read in 2018!

I actually bought this book for my little sisters.
'It's just a children's book,' I thought. 'I will probably think it's really silly.'
But a couple of days before I was going to give it to my sisters, I read the first page myself. I also read the second, third, fourth page,.... and I LOVED it! So instead of giving it to my little sisters, I read the book to them so we could all read it together.

We laughed, got frustrated and a
VioletteDoree
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I expected nothing and still, it disappointed me at the highest level.
I've been seduced in store by the fame of the author, the promise of original drawings and a magical middle grade story. In the end, I suffered for almost 400 pages of a boring plot punctuated by lazy drawings.
The story itself could have been ok (and here I don't say "good", I say "ok") but it was not worth the volume and could have been told in less than 150 pages. There is no need to waste time and space to tell endlessly th
Hadaiyah
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't guess the narrator of the story
Guess I'll have to find out when the next book comes out...
Jonathan
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my newest favorite children's book. I've always been a fan of the fun, witty writing found in Cowell's "How to Train Your Dragon" series and that allure drew me to this book as well. Needless to say, she did not disappoint. That same prose of writing can be found within the pages of this book, from the way the characters interact with one another to "The Unknown Narrator" who speaks directly to the reader at certain times throughout. There is a tiny spark of magic hidden within the ...more
Melissa Veras
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read with lovable characters and entertaining plot. I listen to the audiobook narrated by David Tennant, and it was AMAZING.
Shahirah Loqman
You can view more reviews at: https://booklovesreviews.wordpress.com/

Thank you Pansing Malaysia for the proof copy in exchange of an honest review*

I received a proof copy of Cressida Cowell's upcoming new series The Wizards of Once. Famous for her works in the How to Train Your Dragon series, in which movie I loved by the way, I was super excited to read this. I rarely read Children's books. Their language and plot are a bit simpler than that of Middle Grade. So in an attempt to properly review
Ms. Yingling
Public library copy

In Ancient Briton, there is the magic son of a Wizard, Xar, and the daughter of the queen of the Warriors, Wish. Xar has no magic, and Wish wants to embrace magic, even though her people are against it and are trying to remove all of it from the world. Xar is trying to get some magic, and thinks that it is a good idea to mix the blood on a sword that Wish has with his own blood. He's a bit unsure whose blood it is, but it turns out to be from a witch. Witches are terribly dang
Radha
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By mistletoe and leafmod and ginger sideburns of the great grim ogre....This was so cute, magical, creative and entertaining! I love every single character, specially Wish and Squeezjoos!!! I listened the audiobook and read the ebook at the same time and David Tennant did an EXCELLENT job at narrating this! and the soooong THERE'S A SOOOOONG!!!! * *sigh* * so good! At the end felt a bit reminiscent of How to train your Dragon (It's by the same author btw), how the family issues got solved and wr ...more
Netta
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
תענוג של ספר. מאז הארי פוטר והטירה הנעה לא נהניתי כך מספרי קוסמים ומכשפות.
קרסידה קאוול כתבה ספר ילדים נפלא, מלא הומור וקסם, עם גיבורים אנושיים ולא אנושייים מקסימים שאי אפשר לא לאהוב.
קראתי בהנאה רבה, וכולי תקווה שגם הספר השני בסדרה יתורגם בקרוב.

עידן הקסם/קרסידה קאוול
Karolina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tikrai patiks 8-12 metų vaikams. Daug magijos, nuotykių, įvairiausių fantastinių būtybių ir išmonės. Knyga gausiai iliustruota, o tai dar labiau pagyvina pasakojimą. Paliečiamos tokios temos kaip draugystė, atsakomybė už kitą, besąlygiška tėvų meilė vaikams. Patiko, kad nors tarp dviejų genčių: burtininkų ir kariautojų, seniai įsiplieskusi neapykanta, tačiau jaunoji karta linkusi kvestionuoti tai, ko buvo mokoma, vadovautis savo galva, netgi prireikus susivienyti.
Dar, kas labai svarbu, Cressida
Saray
Creo que soy de las pocas que todavía no ha visto ninguna de las películas de Cómo entrenar a tu dragón.
Sí, a punto del estreno de la tercera, sigo sin haberme sentado a ver por qué todo el mundo las adora tanto. Pero es una de las cosas que tengo pendientes y que espero tachar pronto.
El caso es que, gracias a Boolino, he tenido la oportunidad de leer, y por ende, tener mi primera toma de contacto con la creadora de esa serie, la primera parte de la nueva saga de Cressida Cowell para niños.
Un
Anna
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-my-girls
I heard an interview with Cressida Cowell on NPR talking about The Wizards of Once and I knew I had to read it. I got one of the first copies in the library system when it arrived! I have not read Cowell’s How to Train Your Dragon series, so I was not previously familiar with her storytelling and illustrations.

I must recommend reading this story aloud. The way it was written - large font for the giant, tiny font for the sprites, ALL CAPS for the yelling, plus the distinct voices for each charact
Helene
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun. Just fun.

Xar was annoying, narcissistic and self-absorbed throughout the whole book, especially in the beginning. He boasts about being the ‘boy of destiny’ and I laughed when he found out that someone else was this ‘boy of destiny’. However, he had his moments where he showed he was a good at heart, which made me like him. (view spoiler)
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
The Wizards of Once was such a fun book to read.  The illustrations really made the story better, especially the spell book pages.  Cressida Cowell created such a wonderful fantasy would that was very easy to picture.

I loved Wish!  Wish is a warrior princess.  Her mom is the queen who believes that all magic is bad.  Wish finds a magic spoon and sword and is fascinated by them.  She goes off with her assistant bodyguard, Bodkin.  He tries to stick to the rules and tells her that they need to r
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1)
  • Sky Song
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Have Sword, Will Travel
  • The Last Chance Hotel
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1)
  • Sputnik's Guide to Life on Earth
  • The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones (Mabel Jones, #1)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • The Apprentice Witch (The Apprentice Witch, #1)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World
  • The Door to the Lost
  • Beach Party Surf Monkey (Welcome to Wonderland, #2)
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Kid Normal
  • The Explorer
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

The Wizards of Once (2 books)
  • Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once, #2)
“You do have to listen to the stories, for stories always mean something. The question that worries me is: WHAT exactly do they mean?” 7 likes
“I wish, I wish I wish’ wished Wish” 5 likes