Start by marking “Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows

Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Lightning Thief meets the Story Thieves series in this middle grade fantasy inspired by Hispanic folklore, legends, and myths from the Iberian Peninsula and Central and South America.

Charlie Hernández has always been proud of his Latin American heritage. He loves the culture, the art, and especially the myths. Thanks to his abuela’s stories, Charlie possesses an almost
Published October 23rd 2018 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows

Lynn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut novel and I am so impressed with the skill and craftsmanship of this first book! Fast-paced and full of adventure and fun, Calejo takes tried and true story tropes and plays with them so entertainingly. Charlie and Violet and terrific characters and Charlie's self-deprecating humorous voice pulled me in right from the first page.

I'm sorry to say that I knew very little of Central, South and Iberian myths and legends and one of the great features of this book is the way Calejo int
LitPick Student Book Reviews
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the book Charlie Hernández & the League of Shadows, a boy named Charlie Hernández suddenly finds that his parents have gone missing, and the next day, he finds horns growing out of his head! When Charlie finds a map in the locket his mom left for him, he follows it into a world of demons and monsters from the Hispanic legends taught to him as a boy by his grandmother. Along with his newfound friend, Violet, Charlie tries to find out who he actually is and save the world from a evil group ...more
Daniela
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the type of book that I needed when I was smaller and had no Hispanic/Latino characters in books. I was always looking for a book with characters that I could culturally relate to and had stories that I was familiar with, and now, I finally have it. This book was a wonderful blend of all of the stories and mythologies that I had heard from my own grandmother brought to life for me in an entirely new way. To say that I loved this book, with its witty dialogue and dynamic characters and m ...more
Angela
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7th-grade
This book is just chock full of figures from Hispanic mythology and I think middle school readers are going to love its humor and sense of exploration and adventure. Can’t wait to booktalk this one!
Amy Bartelloni
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at book expo and I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but my 9 year old son loved it! Full review to come when I read :)
Glendys Sanchez
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. A winner! This book is perfect for middle school readers.
Darla
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look out, Percy Jackson. You have some fierce competition in Charlie Hernandez. This middle grade novel begins with a 12-year-old boy whose parents have disappeared, his house has burned down and he has grown two horns. When the horns disappear, feathers appear -- while he is in class. And so begins Charlie's quest to discover what is happening to him and how it relates to the disappearance of his parents. Along the way he teams up with classmate Violet and we meet a multitude of mythical creatu ...more
Lauren
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-shop-reads
This book is so much fun! It’s an adventure from beginning to end. Mythology, magic, & an unlikely mystery-solving duo.
Nena Hernandez
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved the book. She said it was fun, fun, fun! I recommended highly.
Rendz
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a good 4! Maybe like a 3.85(ish) *OMG I am so complicated...*
Full RTC!
Katerina Kondrenko
4 out of 10

It's a children book written in an adult manner with a bunch of unnecessary stylization. Weird combination. Fantasy meets science, mythos meets reality, fast pacing meets weak intrigue. Not my cup of tea. But! I like the cultural side of this book.
Jenni Frencham
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Calejo, Ryan. Charlie Hernandez and the League of Shadows. Aladdin, 2018.

Charlie loves studying the mythology of his Latin American culture. He knows all the stories about all the different monsters and gods from all the countries in Central and South America. But when Charlie is teleported into the very mythological world he loves so much, he will have to keep his wits about him in order to save his family and the rest of the world.

This book is a perfect read-alike for the many Rick Riordan myt
Jocelyn
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
RTC, but main reasons for low-ish rating: consistent use of ableist language and odd use of colonizer as a "good guy"
Hilary Scroggie
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was very delightful. I too would dress my best to meet a Witch Queen even if I was riding my bike there.
Libby Ames
Life gets strange for Charlie Hernandez when his parents disappear and his house mysteriously burns. But then he grows horns and feathers. Creatures from his abuela’s Hispanic mythology start appearing. Soon Charlie and his friend Violet Rey are on a crazy and dangerous search for truth. Their search takes them on a wild ride and introduces them to mythological creatures both good and bad.

Charlie Hernandez and the League of Shadows is a high action trip through the highlights of Hispanic mytholo
Yasmeena
Aug 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: preordered
4.5*

What was that ending oml

RTC

----------

A book with Spanish heritage AND the summary said it was like a crossover of The Lightning Thief and

ahem

Story Thieves?

TWO of my favorite books combined?!

Adriana
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Solid children's adventure story with fun elements taken from Hispanic myths and legends. I just wonder if non-bilingual readers will get as much enjoyment of all the random Spanish words and phrases sprinkled throughout.
Andrea
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus
Nikki S
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I hate to say this, but if I hadn't read another book just recently I might have enjoyed this one more.... BUT I still did like this one and I think you all ahould read it too. Real review to come.
Adrian