Start by marking “Rogue Legacy (The Secret History of Issalia)” as Want to Read:
Rogue Legacy (The Secret History of Issalia)

Rogue Legacy

(The Secret History of Issalia #1)

*This is a previous cover/edition for ASIN B07958CJ9J and ISBN 0999410717

A corrupt organization, a dangerous magic, a dark plot...and the girl who stood in the way.

When tragedy strikes, Lyra runs for her life…directly into the hands of fate. Destiny places her at the heart of a plot to overthrow the rulers of Issalia - a plot she must help thwart. Led by a man armed with p
Published February 8th 2018 by Fallbrandt Press

To ask other readers questions about Rogue Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue Legacy

Dianne
He was tired of reading about history, fifteen-year-old Harman wanted to experience life, but as his grandmother would teach him, sometimes history forgets the details, sometimes it forgets to feel alive and sometimes those you least expect to be part of history made the greatest impact on the present. And that is when Grandmother Jane told Harman the rest of the story, the story of the power one person can hold to change the future while making history.

Lyra’s life changed after that terrible ni
Siobhan
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Rogue Legacy is the first book in Jeffrey L. Kohanek’s The Secret History of Issalia series. The story reveals what truly happened hundreds of years before The Runes of Issalia series takes place, although you do not need to read the series to understand this one. It is beneficial to have a better understanding of the world, but not necessary, as this is a story that fills in blanks whilst also working alone. Personally, I read this without any prior knowledge of the author’s world and found it ...more
Fiona Andrew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Wow what a great story. This is a new author for me, and I will definitely be read more by him. This story is told by Jane to her Grandson, he’s bored and wants excitement not studying to pass his entrance exams for the magic Academy. The story is gripping and catches you from the first page, you have to keep reading to find out what happens next. I read it in a day even though it’s not a small book.
If you’ve read any of the other books by this author this provides the backstory to this series.
Sabetha
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While this story has a slow start, once you get a few chapters in it is hard to put down. Lyra goes from an angsty teen to strong willed woman others can look up to. The ending was perfect, and I enjoyed the story inside a story structure. The author does a great job of building the suspense throughout the story, and bringing all the loose ends back in at the ends.
Slhanley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Being a novella, I was going to skip this book in the series. I am glad I didn't! Lyra's story was very entertaining reading. More great characters, twists and turns, which explained the situation that evolved into The Emblem Throne.
Lyra is a multi-talented, strong female lead. The other friends and enemies are also well-drawn, especially the two men in her life.
Stephen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know this was one of the best books I have read this year. The characters are great and they make you root for them throughout the book. Story is a page turner and you keep reading and reading until you finish it. You will not be disappointed. Great Reading Everyone!
Cassie James
Thanks to the author for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review, This doesn't in any way influence my opinion on it.
description

Rogue Legacy is so good. I got engrossed in it quite quickly. It's the story of a talented lutist Lyra and how her life is upended when her father is murdered in front of her and she has to go on the run from her father's murderers. But as she begins to find out, things are more complicated than she initially thought. She finds herself among a group of free people call
Joy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful adventure!
Lyra, a young 16 year old girl, witnesses the death of her father at the hands of a group of unsavory characters working for the secretive power-seeking group called “The Hand”. They discover her and realize she witnessed their deed, could identify them and thus began a chase to capture and kill her. Escape is difficult and others die in efforts to help her. Finally, she is taken to a palace and left there by a magician to be raised as a daughter of the king, along with his
Tatteredturtle
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book that has the feel of Princess Bride or Howl's Moving Castle I suggest you pick up Rogue Legacy!! It's a book full of magic, secrets, and fantasy! You can read my full review here: https://tatteredturtlestittertattle.w...
Natashasiberian79adgmail.Com
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was sucked into this one fast and hard. Quickly fell in love with just this book. Now I must get the others.
Roger
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first read from author Jeffrey L. Kohanek was excellent! I'll be reading more from him.
Maggies Daisy
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rogue Legacy was the first book I read by the author Jeffrey L. Kohanek and it was not a disappointment, far from it, it was amazing. With my Amazon Unlimited, I have just added the Runes of Issalia Complete Boxed Set: An Epic Fantasy Adventure so I can read the first three books because I so enjoyed Rogue Legacy. It reminded me of a beautiful Disney movie.
John Massaro
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Easy to imagine the story unfold in my mind. Following one adventure of Lyra's after another made the tale exciting.
Jantine Kampes
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just noticed that there is a trilogy about Issalia next to this book. It reads as a standalone though, and I like that. It gives some kind of closure. However, I do want to read the other books too now!

I received a free copy through Netgalley, in return for an honest review
Silver Surfer
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting fantasy. Full of up and downs where you just don’t know what’s coming next. Again magic and feisty females, just what I like. She certainly knows a thing or two about life and living. Highly recommended.
Seraphia
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rogue Legacy: The Secret History of Issalia is an engaging story that pulled me in after a few pages. In this book, I was introduced to Lyra, a young woman who has a unique gift with the lute. She is living with her father until the night that he refuses to do a task that he had already agreed to do. That night she witnesses the death of her father and her own life is thrown into danger. She flees to the only person she believes can help her only to lose them as well. On the run, she changes her ...more
Lana
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author but it definitely will not be the last as I love the smooth and easy way his writing takes the reader on their voyage through the book. Lyra is the main character and what a character she turns out to be, a young girl who seems to be beset by troubles wherever she goes, she first loses her father who is killed right in front of her, she is left on her own in life but her courage and fearlessness see her through life. Lyra encounters many differen ...more
Kameron
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
(review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

You ever have a day that starts out great but quickly turns to hell? Lyra had such a day. It all started when she went out to play Knucklebones (Tali) for a bit of excitement and to gain some coin in her purse.

For those who are unfamiliar with the game, you might know it now as Jacks.

Anyways, after Lyra left the tense game with Sully, this is where everything takes a dark turn. In a span of two chapters, Lyra saw more death than any
Linda
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free in return for an honest review.
This book had me at the beginning with the beauty of Lyra's lute playing and her singing when it captured the attention of a bird to chirp to the music. It wasn't long after that that the action started. It kept up the pace of the book without overloading you with pain and suffering. I really wanted to pat Lyra on the back several times for the good choices that she made. Usually it is the bad choices that make an exciting story, but t
Crystal
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lyra watches her father die, and then spends so much time running for her life. She goes through so much at a young age. However, she has a very smart head on her shoulders. She makes friends on her journey, and eventually finds a family. However, that doesn't last and she has to run again. This time she runs back into old friends and may even find her own happy ending.

I really loved this book and the nod to The Princess bride. Lyra remains true to herself no matter what she happens to be callin
Melissa Hernandez
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, for-review, own
I really enjoyed this story. I knew this was a prequel to the series, so I hoped I didn't need any prior information coming into this story. Thankfully, you don't need any prior information from the series for this, so yes, this is a prequel and can stand on its own. It has everything. Romance, sister love, action, suspense, and a good ending. The one thing I really love about this story is how the sister love was written. It was written really well, which is hard to do. The romance we see is ho ...more
Jackie Rogers
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an adventurous read. Held my attention and couldn't put it down. The her father murdered and is on the run from his killers. She is quite adept at taking care of herself with the help of some strangers. She is constantly getting into trouble. This is the beginning of the series, The Runes of Issalia. Am eager to now read the series. Thanks to author and Goodreads.
Tera Comer
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This is a new author for me and I am glad I gave him a chance!!! I definitely will be reading more of his books. This story catches you from the start and does not let you go till you are finished. Plenty of ups and downs revolving around magic and a feisty female. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Vernon Luckert
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review of a copy received via Goodreads. Overall a fairly well written story, although there are a few wording/editorial improvements that should be made. In at least three instances, 1 by Cal and 2 by Tantarri members, Lyra was addressed using the name Lyra instead of Tali, even though she had not revealed her real name. In general a worthwhile read.
Jo McCreery
The Secret History of Issalia

An enjoyable and engaging book. The story unfolds so many intriguing adventures and personalities throughout its pages. Thank you Jeffrey for engaging my mind in this series.
Sanketsinh Chauhan
Need to introduce Issalia before story start
Nadine
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

This book immediately pulled me in. I loved Lyra. It was enjoyable. I discovered a whole new reading world and I’m glad of it!
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Just OK. Didn't like this prequel enough to want to read the main series.
Judy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Think this might be more for YA. Suggested that should read previous books to get full benefit but easily read as a stand alone.
Lena
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to reading this. But could't get involved in the story or the characters. skimmed
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Seeking ARC readers/reviews for new YA/Fantasy 1 9 Oct 25, 2017 08:27AM
Jeffrey L. Kohanek grew up in rural Minnesota, where comic books sparked his young imagination and inspired fantasies of heroes with super-powers saving the day. His tastes later evolved to fantasy epics, featuring unlikely heroes overcoming impossible odds to save worlds born from the writer’s imagination.

Now residing in southern California, Jeff uses that imagination to weave tales of engaging c