Start by marking “I Want To Go Home” as Want to Read:
I Want To Go Home

I Want To Go Home

On the 11th of March, 2011, Yasuo Takamatsu lost his wife to the tsunami during the Great East Japan earthquake. Since that fateful day, he has been diving in the sea every week in search for her.

Compelled and inspired to share his story, I Want To Go Home is a journey from Singapore to Onagawa through the lens of the intrigued to meet him. Of unlikely friendships across b
Published September 30th 2017 by Math Paper Press

To ask other readers questions about I Want To Go Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want To Go Home

Start your review of I Want To Go Home
Jessica
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, many thanks to the author for sending me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review.

At one glance at the synopsis, this book sounds so good to me and very moving. Then, when I started reading it, the writing style and the way the book was being laid out was different from I anticipated. It was nothing bad about it, it was simple and straightforward but I was imagining this book is being written in, maybe like a biography of Mr. Takamatsu, whom is our main character. It was
Naaytaashreads
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
"Your loved one will always be waiting for you just as eagerly as well too, no matter what. It may be a long wait. Be it in this life or after. I know in my heart that Yuko is waiting for Mr Takamatsu too. To embrace him. Hold him. And take him home."

I always tell myself, who am I to you know give a rating to a non fiction book that was based on a true story.
The story itself is beautiful but it took me a while to get used to it of reading the story Mr Takamatsu and having the writer always rela
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Initial thoughts: Added half a star for the photographs in the centrefold. I enjoyed learning a little bit more about life in Japan, and more specifically Onagawa. I also liked that the author added reflections about the different stages of his journeys. They gave more insight into who he was as a person. However, at times the connections were quite tenuous — perhaps he meant to show the randomness our minds pursue at times?

Mr Takamatsu seemed like a delightful person to
Christine
On March 11, 2011, Yasuo Takamatsu of Onagawa, Japan lost his wife to the tsunami. Yuko was on the roof of her workplace when the waves swept her away. She is still missing. Her husband learned to dive so he could search for her, week after week, in the sea.

Mr. Takamatsu’s devotion made it into several international newspapers and deeply moved Wesley Leon Aroozoo, who reached out to him. After much back and forth, Aroozoo, translator Miki Hawkinson and cinematographer Jon Chan made their way fro
Joanna
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the few books that I knew I would enjoy just from reading the first paragraph.

I Want To Go Home is a haunting read about losing someone who you love very much. There are many accidents, natural disasters and many lives being lost every day, leaving their loved ones behind and to hear it from Mr. Takamatsu’s perspective of how his days are after losing his wife to the Japan tsunami in 2014 caused by the earthquake, it was heartbreaking.

Wesley Leon Aroozoo was a great narrator. Des
Anna
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
On 11 March 2011, the Great Tohoku Earthquake struck and sent a tsunami of epic proportions obliterating life as was known 10km inland. I was in Chiba when it struck, shocked by the travelling tremors that hit our area at about 6 on the richter scale. We stayed out of the building for 5 hours in the cold waiting to see if it would be deemed safe to return to and spent the next few days horrified to find out the extent of the disaster in other parts.

I was early in pregnancy and frightened about
Hannah (flippingchapters)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25

Didn’t expect this to be my first read of the year! A huge thank you to the author for sending me a copy of this book! The author didn’t specify for me to write a review of his novel and this review is based on my own opinion.

I didn’t know what to expect going into this book - it’s one of the first local books I’ve read in awhile and I’m truly amazed at how much I actually enjoyed reading it! I love how we’re able to get a glimpse of both Singaporean and Japanese’s culture. This novel really
Joely
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who have maybe three hours on their hands
This is a record of love.

Aroozoo seems like a somewhat clumsy chap, from his description of himself in the book. I also found his writing to be a little clumsy, but in a slightly charming way. The book starts off quite slow, but then picks up as the audience comes to understand more of Mr. Takamatsu's story with Mrs. Takamatsu. It wasn't Aroozoo's writing that captured me, but Mr. Takamatsu's story in and of itself.

One point that I would like to note that was done well, is how Aroozoo manages t
Dawne L
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
A heart-warming exploration of one individual's experience with the March 2011 tsunami and a brief look at how it affected the lives of the people in the small town of Onagawa. The haunting pictures that accompany it supplement the story well and I really love the format of having the Japanese version going from right to left and the English from left to right.
Jun Jie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read novels, biographies, and history written in past tense, it took me a few chapters to get used to reading short stories in present tense. While the essence and intent gives readers something to thing about - love and loss, the writer spent a significant part describing his journey of a week. I was hoping to get much more connected with the lives of the protagonist and it's people. For a short story, there are a few parts that kept me at the edge of the seat.
Ross
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely biographical novel that sheds light on the lift after the disaster of the 3/11 tragedy in Japan. Highly recommended.
Shengjuan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story-telling of a true story, with bits of humour to just sparingly lighten the dark subject of loss and tragedy. A passionate piece by an indie author, worth supporting!
Rachel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
In 2011, a great tsunami swept over the Japanese town of Onagawa, damaging everything in its path. Takamatsu lost his wife, Yuko, to the tsunami, and every week since this devastating event, he has gone out to sea to dive and look for her, because of the final text sent from Yuko’s mobile phone to Takamatsu: “I want to go home.”

This is the 2nd book I’ve read by Singaporean author Wesley Leon Aroozoo, the first being Bedok Reservoir. Commonalities between the two include water, death, and the sup
Khin WT
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me feel a lot of things. It doesn’t get too sentimental, and it isn’t merely about Mr Takamatsu’s tenacity in his search for his wife. I Want To Go Home is also about Wesley and his team’s journey to meeting and getting to know Mr Takamatsu over their brief visit. The story doesn’t romanticise Mr Takamatsu or paint him as larger than life; he’s a very ordinary if determined man who is seeking a form of closure after the trauma of losing a loved one. It interweaves fragments of the ...more
Renuka Satianathan
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read and a beautiful story, but I did find some of the observations the main character makes at the end of each chapter a rather stilted or overly preachy effort to connect his live with that of Takamatsu. I loved the dvpt of Takamatsu's charachter and the setting, but the development of the 3 visitors to Onagawa often felt very much more telling than showing. Still, I'd recommend giving the book a read, esp to anyone interested at all in the 2011 earthquake as this is a such a refreshin ...more
Ying
Jul 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
A short read at less than 120 pages.

I didn't really enjoy it, the blurb claims that the book is about a man who lost his wife in the 2011 tsunami in Japan, but so much time was spent by the author talking about things other than the man he went to Japan to interview.

The author spent too much time reflecting on his own thoughts, and not enough talking to Mr Takamatsu about why he dives etc. It was more of a reflection on the trip to Japan than a book about Mr Takamatsu.

I think I heard more abou
R.
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Your loved one will always be waiting for you just as eagerly as well too, no matter what. It may be a long wait. Be it in this life or after. I know in my heart that Yuko is waiting for Mr. Takamatsu too. To embrace him. Hold him. And take him home” (109).
Shenmue
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and gripping biographical story. Much recommended!
E'in Nadh
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the intertwining of Mr Takamatsu's story and Wes's recollections

For a photographer Jon sleeps through sceneries a lot
Mervin Lee

• Ministry of Moral Panic
  • If I Had Your Face
  • Rainbirds
  • I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Sound of Sch: A Mental Breakdown, A Life Journey