Start by marking “I Want To Go Home” as Want to Read:
I Want To Go Home

I Want To Go Home

On the 11th of March, 2011, Yasuo Takamatsu lost his wife to the tsunami during the Great East Japan earthquake. Since that fateful day, he has been diving in the sea every week in search for her.

Compelled and inspired to share his story, I Want To Go Home is a journey from Singapore to Onagawa through the lens of the intrigued to meet him. Of unlikely friendships across b
Published by Math Paper Press (first published October 2017)

To ask other readers questions about I Want To Go Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want To Go Home

Jessica
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, many thanks to the author for sending me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review.

At one glance at the synopsis, this book sounds so good to me and very moving. Then, when I started reading it, the writing style and the way the book was being laid out was different from I anticipated. It was nothing bad about it, it was simple and straightforward but I was imagining this book is being written in, maybe like a biography of Mr. Takamatsu, whom is our main character. It was
Natasha
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
"Your loved one will always be waiting for you just as eagerly as well too, no matter what. It may be a long wait. Be it in this life or after. I know in my heart that Yuko is waiting for Mr Takamatsu too. To embrace him. Hold him. And take him home."

I always tell myself, who am I to you know give a rating to a non fiction book that was based on a true story.
The story itself is beautiful but it took me a while to get used to it of reading the story Mr Takamatsu and having the writer always rela
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Initial thoughts: Added half a star for the photographs in the centrefold. I enjoyed learning a little bit more about life in Japan, and more specifically Onagawa. I also liked that the author added reflections about the different stages of his journeys. They gave more insight into who he was as a person. However, at times the connections were quite tenuous — perhaps he meant to show the randomness our minds pursue at times?

Mr Takamatsu seemed like a delightful person to
Christine
On March 11, 2011, Yasuo Takamatsu of Onagawa, Japan lost his wife to the tsunami. Yuko was on the roof of her workplace when the waves swept her away. She is still missing. Her husband learned to dive so he could search for her, week after week, in the sea.

Mr. Takamatsu’s devotion made it into several international newspapers and deeply moved Wesley Leon Aroozoo, who reached out to him. After much back and forth, Aroozoo, translator Miki Hawkinson and cinematographer Jon Chan made their way fro
Joely
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who have maybe three hours on their hands
This is a record of love.

Aroozoo seems like a somewhat clumsy chap, from his description of himself in the book. I also found his writing to be a little clumsy, but in a slightly charming way. The book starts off quite slow, but then picks up as the audience comes to understand more of Mr. Takamatsu's story with Mrs. Takamatsu. It wasn't Aroozoo's writing that captured me, but Mr. Takamatsu's story in and of itself.

One point that I would like to note that was done well, is how Aroozoo manages t
Lloyd Duske
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
A heart-warming exploration of one individual's experience with the March 2011 tsunami and a brief look at how it affected the lives of the people in the small town of Onagawa. The haunting pictures that accompany it supplement the story well and I really love the format of having the Japanese version going from right to left and the English from left to right.
Jun Jie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read novels, biographies, and history written in past tense, it took me a few chapters to get used to reading short stories in present tense. While the essence and intent gives readers something to thing about - love and loss, the writer spent a significant part describing his journey of a week. I was hoping to get much more connected with the lives of the protagonist and it's people. For a short story, there are a few parts that kept me at the edge of the seat.
Ross
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely biographical novel that sheds light on the lift after the disaster of the 3/11 tragedy in Japan. Highly recommended.
Shengjuan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story-telling of a true story, with bits of humour to just sparingly lighten the dark subject of loss and tragedy. A passionate piece by an indie author, worth supporting!
Renee
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
On 11 March 2011, the Great Tohoku Earthquake struck and sent a tsunami of epic proportions obliterating life as was known 10km inland. I was in Chiba when it struck, shocked by the travelling tremors that hit our area at about 6 on the richter scale. We stayed out of the building for 5 hours in the cold waiting to see if it would be deemed safe to return to and spent the next few days horrified to find out the extent of the disaster in other parts.

I was early in pregnancy and frightened about
Hannah (flippingchapters)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
4.25

Didn’t expect this to be my first read of the year! A huge thank you to the author for sending me a copy of this book! The author didn’t specify for me to write a review of his novel and this review is based on my own opinion.

I didn’t know what to expect going into this book - it’s one of the first local books I’ve read in awhile and I’m truly amazed at how much I actually enjoyed reading it! I love how we’re able to get a glimpse of both Singaporean and Japanese’s culture. This novel really
Shenmue
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and gripping biographical story. Much recommended!
Mervin Lee
Oct 05, 2018
Cui
Oct 16, 2017
Long Wei
rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2018