Start by marking “Secrets & Wishes” as Want to Read:
Secrets & Wishes

Secrets & Wishes

Stone Creek, Michigan, April, 1901 Maggie Galloway and Thomas Harper clash after their sons collide in a fistfight. Both widowed, they’re each doing their best as single-parents. Outgoing Maggie has dreams for a home of her own and a business to provide for her son as she searches for God’s path for her life as a widow. Reserved Thomas struggles to establish his new phar ...more
Published October 2nd 2017 by Heritage Beacon Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Secrets & Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets & Wishes

Elaine Stock
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read Secrets and Wishes, knowing especially that it was a sequel to Rumors and Promises, which I enjoyed. Secrets and Wishes was just as great! I grinned at Maggie being headstrong--really appropriate since she needed to be to move forward in life--and nodded at Thomas's caring dad role. One thing I can always count on with a Kathleen Rouser novel is slipping back into time and staying there for the duration of the whole novel--she's an author who adores history.
Marilyn
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser created an absolutely overwhelming and heartfelt read with Secrets and Wishes, sequel to Rumors and Promises. I was drawn into the story from the beginning and was right in the moment throughout this astonishing story. The research Rouser did for the early 1900’s apothecary and medicines being peddled by traveling shows, that caused harm at times, shined through.

The hero and heroine were three dimensional with true to life issues during the setting. My emotions were right there
Maureen Timerman
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
First, I loved the cover on this book, and the word pictures as I read, drew me in.
I enjoyed this read, and see individuals here hurting after losing their spouse, and having a hard time moving on. The story takes place in 1901 Michigan, and a different time, prior to drug regulations, and the aftermath of a charlatan.
Another part of this story is a woman who has lost her beloved husband, and a man who has lost his dear wife, and while both are grieving, he is having a hard time coping with his
Suzie Waltner
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

While this is the second book in a series (and my first introduction to Kathleen Rouser), I didn’t feel at all like I was coming into the middle of a story. Secrets and Wishes definitely stands on its own.

To me, this book felt very episodic which, to be fair, is how the description reads. For my personal taste, the overarching conflict just wasn’t enough to really engage me in the story. I did, however, enjoy spending time with Thomas, Maggie, their children, and some of the residents o
Cindy Huff
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love historical romance and Kathleen Rouser has a way with words. This sequel to Rumors and Promises does not disappoint. Secrets & Wishes is set in the early 1900s when aspirin was replacing some herbal remedies and the horseless carriage were considered dangerous contraptions. Medicine shows and other superstitions still plagued doctors and pharmacies alike. Descriptions of the town and the new-fangled pharmacy give the readers a you-are-there feeling. Something, I as a reader love.
This
Sandra
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser writes an endearing Christian historical fiction romance from the early 1900's. This was the first book that I have read by this author. I did not realize that it was a squeal. When I read the last page of Secrets and Wishes, I had to go on Amazon and purchase Rumors and Promises. I can not wait to start it. Even though I will be reading them out of sequence, I am sure I will enjoy both. Secrets and Wishes worked fine as a stand alone book.

Her characters are so well crafted, you
Katie Lindsey
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This story follows the lives of Maggie and Thomas. Maggie, a widow, is raising her son in a cottage on the property of a dear friend. She is opinionated with a short fuse when it comes to things she feels others are being absurd about. Thomas, a recent widower, is raising his four children and trying to start his business in a new town. When their boys get into a fight, Thomas and Maggie face each other for the first time. Their short fuses and heart ache causing an argument to erupt. The story ...more
Jane
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Secrets and wishes is a sequel to Rumors and Promises. While there were times when reading Secrets and Wishes that I wondered what had happened in the lives of the characters before the story took place, I did not feel like I was missing necessary to understand the story.

Maggie is a widow - her husband was a pharmacist and she had helped him in his practice. Thomas is a widower and a pharmacist. When they meet it is like oil and water - they do not get along at all. Yet circumstances push them t
Janet Grunst
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser's Secrets and Wishes takes place at the dawn of the twentieth century. It’s a tender story of two adults dealing with the grief of losing spouses and raising children on their own, a situation not uncommon in any generation.

Maggie Galloway, a baker, and Thomas Harper, a pharmacist, are each searching for a fresh start. While Thomas is the new pharmacist in Stone Creek, MI, Maggie is considering leaving town. These two get off to a rough start and find the road to friendship anyt
Catherine Ulrich
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser has once again written a superb, thought-provoking story which has a strong spiritual theme woven throughout. In Secrets and Wishes, she follows the developing romance of Maggie Galloway and Thomas Harper, an apothecary in 1901 Stone Creek, Michigan, while at the same time keeping you guessing as to the outcome. Historically accurate, the story carries the reader back to a time when the roles of the apothecary included stitching up wounds and handing out minor prescriptions witho ...more
Jodie Wolfe
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Secrets and Wishes by Kathleen Rouser is a delightful sequel to her first novel, Rumors and Promises. Ms. Rouser does an excellent job of allowing the reader to be drawn into Stone Creek, Michigan and see what life must have been like at the turn of the century. Her well-developed characters shine through on each page. I look forward to more books from this author in the future.

This book was provided for free and a favorable review was not required - 2018.
Emily Yager
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Historical Fiction is one of my top favorite genres to read. This book deserves a descent spot on the shelf. Set in the early 1900’s when the old ways and the new modern ways are intermingling together.

Well written tale of second chance romance between a widow/widower both single parents and the healing of grief and finding love again. I loved the characters and how they all got along with each other.

A slow moving story, but sweet romance with a satisfying ending.
Marjorie Hill
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser did a great job bringing two single parents together through difficulties as they struggle with what is best for their children. Also her research proved to be a vital part of the story as she revealed the dangers in the early 19th century of uncontrolled medicines. Interesting read.
KRISTEN LAWRENCE
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not for me

This story just did not work for me. When I started the book , I did not realize it was a sequel. I did enjoy the first book, so really surprised when I struggled to read this. I didn't think Maggie and Thomas had any chemistry at all. I think the fact that they decided they were " in love", contrived at best. I found myself skimming jus t to get through it.
April
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Secrets and Wishes
: Kathleen Rouser

A slow moving historical fiction. Plenty of characters with interesting personalities. There were enough twists and turns to keep the listener involved.

The narration was ok, but not exceptional. Lynn Carnefix narrated.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
GJ S
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Historical michigan clean christian novel

The story takes place in michigan, my favorite parts of the story was the relationships with Jesus. I did not connect so well with the characters in other ways.
Mary Albers Felkins
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and tender story

Another trip to Stone creek is worth the read. Interesting facts about the challenges of an apothecary and small town relationships. I enjoyed this sweet story and it’s satisfying ending.
debra westman
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Secrets and wishes

Thomas has his hands full with his children and having is pharmaceutical business. Lucky for him after his sickness he met his future wife
Karen Hadley
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great and enjoyable read. Love-able characters. A great story of redemption and wrongs being made right. I enjoyed learning about how aspirin came about, history is always interesting. The interaction between Maggie and Thomas was fun to read as it unfolds from dislike to love. I mean she would have to be a great gal to take on a man with four children who needed a firm hand. Those from our past aren't always what we remember or think they are was a great reminder. I especially loved the bakin ...more
Laura Kahn