Start by marking “Just Ask (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Ask (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #1)

Just Ask (Diary of a Teenage Girl #10)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  917 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
What's a girl to do when caught between a rock and a hard place? The "hard place" — losing her car; the "rock" — her immovable dad. In order to regain driving privileges, Kim Peterson's dad talks her into writing an advice column for teens in his newspaper. Kim reluctantly agrees. She answers letters about stuff that's everyday and stuff that's not: parents, piercings, dat ...more
Published July 7th 2005 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Just Ask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Ask

Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! Kim is a great character! And her struggles and life seemed very real. I highly enjoyed her newspaper column of is very interesting and I was always interested to see what her answer would be. I think it is very interesting how she had a computer log diary this book is very up to date with the year it was published in. Her friends are very well written I could really see them as them and how they have there own personalities. I highly recommend this book for any teen.
Maggie Ingles
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Kim Peterson, the main character is sixteen years old. She is struck by struggles with her father and losing her car. Her father wants her to write a teen advice column for his newspaper, which she has been refusing to do for awhile, but when she loses her car, her father makes a deal with her. The deal is that in order for her to regain his trust to drive, she has to write the for his newspaper and she will even get paid for doing it. While Kim is writing the column she begins to find it diffic ...more
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Hmm, I don't know about the Kim diaries. I don't really think there was much going on in this first one. But, from reading her cousin's diaries, I have some idea of what is coming up. Maybe the next three books will be better.

But, since Kim's diaries deal with the death of a parent from cancer, I think it's not in my best interest to read at this time. It hits too close to home. Maybe I'll pick them up again sometime in the future.
Jan 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
I thought this might be a kind of fun YA novel, but found it to be more preachy than fun. Oh well. Win some, lose some, and in this case I only lost 49 cents.
Kaitlyn Duff
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very good book. The book Just Ask can elate to many teenagers today. In the beginning of the book Kim was telling how she has had her drivers license for over a year and has been driving her mom's car to school. Kim really wanted her own car, but her parents decided that she could keep a car if she could maintain a clean driving record. Kim ended up getting a speeding ticket. Her dad promised her that he wouldn't tell her mom if Kim would write an advice column in the newspaper ...more
Maya Zauberman
The good thing is that main character Jamie has not succumbed to marysueitis- an affliction that unfortunately affects many literary heroes and heroines. She actually had faults- she lied, she doubted, she disappointed the expectations of herself and others half the time. She even became a slight hypocrite at times- telling a girl to get over a girl's death, while clearly not being over it herself. And the writing wasn't terrible (despite the constant telling not showing) though the tense was er ...more
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-young-adult
This book was not what I expected at all. In true young adult literature, it has to contain high drama and angst. However, I wasn't expecting the God angel. In this book the main character starts writing an advice column at her dad's paper for teenagers. While dispensing advice she struggles with her religious beliefs, ends up having a conversion experience, and then turns her column into a religious platform. I appreciated some of the questions that the book brought up - I could relate to a lot ...more
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Kim's parents told her they'd buy her a new long as she refrained from getting any traffic tickets. When her father finds out that she was clocked going well over the speed limit, he cuts her a deal: she can get the new car as long as she does an advice column for the local paper. So, Kim adopts the pen name of "Just Jamie", and dispenses the usual teen-friendly advice. However, when a classmate is killed in a car accident, Kim gets asked serious questions about life, death, and
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just Ask by Melody Carlson is about a 17 year old Kim ,who was adopted, starts writing an advice column in her dad's newspaper because she wanted to keep her speeding ticket from her mom.she would've been able to get her own car if she got one ticket so her dad made a deal with her, she would have to give advice in his newspaper to attract a younger crowd. Everything goesn well for a while until one of her classmates is killed and everything in Kims life turns upside down. She feels like she can ...more
May 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
In the book Diary Of A Teenage Girl Just Ask by Melody Carlson its a coming of age book. This book is about a Asian teenager that was adopted and she writes a column in a newspaper. She doesn't tell her friends so she has to take all the bad comments they make about her column and all the criticism they have about the column. The book also talks about how she changes over time not only the way she is but her religious point of views also change. I made quite a few connections with this book but ...more
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
After reading that last book in this Kim series (That Was Then), it prompted me to read the first one.
In Just Ask Kim secretly becomes "Jamie" for an teen advice column. As Kim reads letters and emails from teenagers with numerous problems, Kim realizes just how great her life is-but something is still missing. Kim takes her own advice as she once again finds God-and just in time for some BIG news.
You can't help but fall in love with Carlson's likable and relatable characters. I can't wait to r
Books and Literature for Teens
This Diary of a Teenage Girl was different from the Kim or the Chloe series (haven't read the Caitlin series yet).
It was still good, but pretty edgy.
Sure, lots of girls have Maya's problem (in fact I know one), but I hear about it so much that I don't like to keep reading stuff about it.
Anyways, Maya's mother is an drug addict,her father's away on tour, and Maya wants to live on her own. But in doing so, she gotta learn the art of being humble.

It was a bit slow at times, but finishable (can I m
Madeline Parise
Just Ask is a super hilarious book that really makes me want to keep reading, no matter what time of day (or night!). I love Kim's character, and it's so funny to read about how confused she gets on the subject of life and death. I really liked reading her Just Ask Jamie letters and responses, and seeing how they changed as her opinions about the meaning of life developed and evolved. My advice to readers- Enjoy the first Kim book as much as is possible. Because after that book, it gets kind of. ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
It was...ok. Kim is having a hard time finding what she belives in. When she speeds on the road....again....her dad said she could make up for it by writing a column on his paper. Kim is thrown quesions about everything you can imagine. But when a schoolmate is killed, questions about life, death, and life after death are handed to the confused Kim.

It was pretty good. She had an atitude and lives a mainstream christian life, of dating...ect. Which I don't so I couldn't really relate to Kim.
YeBin Pyun
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was suggested by two of my close friends and I was in great appreciation for that. This book is now one of my most treasured stories because of it's true to life characters and situations. Kim, who is the anonymous "Jamie" for a newspaper column, has a spiritual battle in her mind. Her journey leads from here to there, bringing the reading to thinking about his or her relationship between God. This light-hearted book deals with some heavy subject that the author tackled very well. I su ...more
Sep 21, 2010 added it
Shelves: 1st-quarter
I really liked this book. It caught my attention when I saw the title. It just hooked me right then. I think that anyone who read this would like it. I recomend you read it.
In this book it is about this teenage girl. She has to write these advise column in her dads newspaper. Throughout this whole thing she has to go throgh the struggle of her life. Throughout it she loses a friend. She gets a car. You shoiudl read it!
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book was really great for me to read. the girl in this book (kim) is really lost spiritually and needs to find the Lord. she struggles for a while asking a lot of questions i know that i think sometimes but gets changed and moved by her best friend and some others. at the end of the story kim is challenged greatly by God; her mom is in the hospital with cancer and only has a few months to live. the book ends there but her story continues in book two.
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
The book was the first book of a series. It was about a girl named kim who wanted a car. Her dad wouldn't let her get one unless she wrote the JUST ASK JAMIE column in his newspaper. At first Kim didn't want to, but learned to love it. SHe would always pic a letter that had to do with how she was feeling, what she was going through, or something else that related to her. The book was kind of slow though. So i rated it a 2
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading the Diary of a Teenage Girl series. The one thing that gets me though, is how often "date-to-save" comes up. Several times in the books one girl is confronted about dating a non-Christian and it never really gets discussed. Just sort of passed over. But I still really like these books.
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was another great book. THis was about another girl attending the same high school. She is friends with Chloe from the last book. She is shy and get really good grades. She becomes a Christian and starts to privately write a help column for her fathers newspaper in the end she gets sad news but is trusting in her faith to help her thru it. Great book.
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen Girls
Sad great great book. This book goes throught the life of a young girl asked to write a advice colum in a news paper. She strugels with a question of Christianity and strugels against Christ. In the end she cant strugle any more and accepts Jesus now her life in Chirst is growing and shes learning...
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
The book started off kind of boring for my taste. It wasn't until somewhere in the middle of the book that I became really interested in it. Some the Christian characters were too idealistic. However, I do appreciate the Author trying to create a Christian book that exposes some of the things we go through as girls of Christ.
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is the kind of book I wish I had read as a teenager because I probably would have enjoyed it more. A lot of the stuff was relatable, but I had some issues with the "advice" that sometimes was given out in the book through the Just Ask Jamie letters. On the other hand, I think that this book will be pretty relatable for teen girls who identify as Christian.
This book is one of the best books. It's about a girl named Kim and its pretty much based on her life. This book has some helpful tips when Kim writes as a Just Jamie for her dad's newspaper coloum. It also helps you figure out what to do if you are in a fight with a friend or having problems. All in all this is a must read book and Melody Carlson is a very Awesome Writer!!
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book series has been a favorite among my students this year. After reading it, I can see why. Carlson deals with many teen issues through her main character Kim. Faith, love, loss, trust. Kim has some serious things happening in her own life, but she also writes an advice column for the local paper where she tries to answer some of the tough questions. A good read for any teenage girl.
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is about a girl who gets scared because she got a ticket. She didn't tell her mother but her dad. They decided to keep it a secert if she did a "Just Jamie" colum. Her best friend is Natilie. This girl Tiffany Knight got killed by a motorcycle accident. It hit Kim pretty hard, even though she wasn't that close to Tiffany. She was a Budda but now she believes in god.
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I knew going into it that this was a religious book but I also knew that Kim was confused about her religion. Buddhism or Christianity? As a non-religious person I was a bit curious to see what the outcome would be but in the end I was left bored. Sorry Melody Carlson but I don't think I'll be reading more of your books, I tried but it's just not my genre.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I loved the plot and characters of the story. I love the Teenage Dairy books. Kim is such a great character and I love reading about her story and what she is going through.
  • Sierra's Story
  • Now Picture This (Sierra Jensen, #9)
  • Purity Reigns (Laurel Shadrach, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Diary of a Teenage Girl (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1)
  • It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)
  • Who I Am (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #3)
  • On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #4)
  • I Do! (Diary of a Teenage: Caitlin, #5)
  • My Name is Chloe (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #1)
  • Sold Out (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #2)
  • Road Trip (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #3)
  • Face the Music (Diary of a Teenager Girl: Chloe, #4)
  • Meant to Be (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“...if you want to have a good friend, you first must be a good friend.” 3 likes
“...I can hang on to God and trust that He knows.” 1 likes