Start by marking “If All the World” as Want to Read:
If All the World

If All the World

A moving, poetic picture book about a young girl's love for her granddad and how she copes when his grandad dies, written by poet and playwright Joe Coelho. This powerful and ultimately uplifting text is the ideal way to introduce children to the concept of death and dying, particularly those who have lost a grandparent. Beautifully illustrated by new talent Allison Colpoy ...more
Published June 7th 2018 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about If All the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If All the World

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
If All The World

I apologise. This review comes from the heart and not the mind. Please bear with me - this book has tugged at my heartstrings and stabbed me straight through.

As of July, my grandmother will have been gone from this world for 3 years. She was such an integral part of my life that I still feel a gaping hole in my chest that never gets smaller.

"If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old."

These words cling to my very soul.
PattyMacDotComma
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, teachers, everybody!
5★++
“If all the world were memories, the past would be rooms I could visit and in each room would be my grandad.”

The author says on the (back) cover “For everyone who misses someone.”
What a wonderful idea and what a wonderful book! A young child shows us what it’s like going through the seasons with Granddad.

Illustration of walking hand in hand with Granddad in the spring and seeing a bird’s nest.

I can’t confirm whether the child is a girl or a boy, and I suspect that’s probably the point. A b
[Shai] Bibliophage
If All the World is a children's storybook that narrates the story of a little girl and his memories with his late grandad. Those who can read this would undoubtedly be touched by the compelling memories and wishes of the girl for his grandpa. One of the most poignant lessons that readers can get from the story is that the love by our loved ones may still linger or stay with us, even if they are already gone.
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a children's story about family, love, and loss.

The book is beautifully illustrated and is written in a poetic and engaging prose. Each page has colorful images depicting a little girl's time spent with her grandfather until one day the he is no longer in the picture.

The book does not describe explicitly how the child deals with the loss but we learn how she copes with it by watching the activities she's engages in after he's gone.

While reading this book images of my loving grandparen
Hilary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children who have lost a grandparent
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A little girl tells of all the things she loves to do with her grandad. One day he dies and they clear his house and the little girl finds a book that she decides to write memories of their time together in. The illustrations were very nice, lovely colours and an interesting style. I don't think you'd want to read this with a child unless they were suffering from the loss of a grandparent. I didn't like how the grandfather tells the little girl who looks about 4 or 5 that she's too old to hold h ...more
Emma
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated book dealing with bereavement of a grandparent and the memories the child had. Coelho remembers himself how drawing, recording , writing stories were all so important to him growing up and the child in the book is encouraged to record her feelings and memories in just such a way. Suitable for children 3 to 9.
Jane
In If All the World, author Joseph Coelho has written an understated story that packs a huge emotional punch. I do not have the words to express how truly lovely this book is, but the illustrations by Allison Colpoys certainly do it justice.

I highly recommend this read for people of all ages as a reminder that even though we're all missing people, our memories of those who are gone help us to keep them alive in our hearts.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Chil
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group (Frances Lincoln Childrens) for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The author says on the back cover that this book is dedicated to everyone who misses someone. The story is something that I think everyone can relate to. We've all lost someone and we all miss them. The art was beautiful and really colorful. The story was touching. It teaches us that we all lose people and what's important is for us to keep their
Etienne
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tribute to all the grand-father and a story about love and grief! The illustration where not particularly my style but it was a good match for this story. A short story that will goes straight to your heart!
Yesha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** Note: I received e-ARC of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Publishers and NetGalley. ***

Book is about little girl who loved her granddad dearly and carries his memory along with her. I liked the blurb and purpose of writing the book.

Book started with little girl telling the activities she did with her granddad in different seasons and shows her love for granddad by telling how happy she was how much she enjoyed all the time of all season with her gran
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was especially moving to our family having lost my husband and my grandchildren's grandfather less than two years ago. This book depicts a young girl's love for her granddad and how they spend time together, her wishing it would never end. When he dies, she copes with the situation and uses a notebook he made for her to write and draw her memories while dealing with her grief. The book is written by poet and playwright Joe Coelho with wonderful illustrations by Allison Colpoys. This is ...more
Bev
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh this utterly gorgeous picture book gave me all the feels, I just wanted to hug it (and it's adorable little girl) to my chest! I had tears in my eyes at the end, definitely one of my favourite picture books that I've read so far this year. Great for children dealing with bereavement yes but also just a beautiful story to share with little ones that you love. The relationship between the girl and her grandfather is so sweetly described and drawn that your heartstrings are tugged from the first ...more
Miss Jenny
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excerpt of a review that was originally published on my website: Miss Jenny's Classroom

The core of this story is about death and how it impacts family and individuals. In this instance it focuses on the granddaughter who clearly has a bond with her grandad and feels the loss of his passing greatly. Little things in the story - like how he buys her a secondhand race track and they fix it together and then play - were not only touching but also breaks a bit of a taboo I see of "secondha
Faith
Shelves: netgalleyarc
If All the World Were... is a beautiful picture book focusing on the close relationship a granddaughter has with her grandfather. Through the change of seasons, we witness the special times they shared, as well as wishes the granddaughter has ("If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old").

As the year passes, there is a growing sense of nostalgia; we learn grandad's health is failing, and at the close of the book, he has passed away and
May 20, 2018 added it
Death is always hard for a child. Heck death is hard for adults, but it is espcially hard for children because they have nothing to compare it to. Sure, they may have lot a pet, but losing a grand parent is the first big death that most children experience.

This is such a sweet gentle book about all the memories the little girl has of her grandfather, throughout the year, and how much she loved him, and how sad she is that she can not have those walks with him.

She says, after his passing:

If all t
Laura (Book Scrounger)
If all the world were springtime
I would replant my grandad's birthdays
So that he would never get old.

If All the World Were... is a beautifully illustrated poem about a girl's relationship with her grandfather, encompassing both her joy as she spends time with him, and her sadness at his eventual passing.

Tracing life through the seasons of one year, the story finds beauty in simplicity, the small joys of simply being together and doing things. Without using a lot of words, it communicates love an
Suz
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book portrays the beautiful relationship between a grandad and his grandchild throughout the seasons and the way they explore the world together. My 6 year old son really enjoyed it although he didn’t pick up on the fact that the grandad passed away until I explained how this was portrayed.
Jo
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts: Beautiful words and illustrations in regard to the topic of death of a grandparent. Just ..thanks for the punch in the face with all the emotion.

Downloaded through Netgalley for an honest review.
Mathew
This is the second collaboration of Coelho I have read in picturebook form and again he braves dealing with an important issue which many young children will encounter: the loss of a grandparent. Through the heading of the four seasons, Coelho’s poem shares with us a young girl’s celebration of the wonders of the world with her grandfather; hand-in-hand they explore the natural world, create, dream and share their passions and with each gift the young girl tells the reader, quite subtly, what mo ...more
Aimee
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A children’s book of regarding the universal feelings of love of a grandparent, loss of the grandparent, remembering the grandparent, and recovering from loss. It is a beautiful book to read to a child who has recently lost someone they love. Actually, it is really good for adults too. I teared up as I was reading this book as well. This one really touches the soul.

The illustrations are beautiful and you can easily imagine yourself in your own life (holding your grandfather’s hand has you walk)
Janet
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---

Tamm
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are very few books available that deal with death in an appropriate way for young children, so this is a great find. There is lots to discuss here with young children and I particularly liked the metaphor of the changing seasons, with Grandfather’s death happening in Winter. The illustrations invite discussion and the issue of death and what happens next is dealt with very sensitively. It would be particularly suitable to use with with Nursery, Reception and Year 1 children (3-6 year olds) ...more
Kimberly
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Make sure you have your tissues ready for this one! If All the World is a heartfelt story about the love and bond between a little girl and her grandfather! What happens when your grandfather is your whole world and then suddenly that world is gone? You channel inward, remember and celebrate all of the wonderful moments you shared together! This is a story that reminds us that our loved ones live on forever in our hearts and cherished memories of them! A must read for everyone! This is the perfe ...more
Richelle Zirkle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully done picture book that explores a little girl's love for her grandfather and how she copes with her grief when he dies. It reads like a testament to their love. It offers the opportunity to discuss death, grief and ways we cope when our loved ones pass. The illustrations have a soft, reminiscent quality while showing beloved memories celebrated. This title has a place in every library and would be a helpful gift to a child going through the grief process after losing a love ...more
Brittany Berry
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am floored by this little book. The depth of emotion conveyed in its beautifully illustrated pages is phenomenal. I love that it is a universal story, one of love and loss. However, the story is also specific to a young Indian girl and her grandfather. I would gladly share this book in my practice with my clients to help them come to terms with loss and using it as an opportunity to celebrate life, just as the little girl does in this story.
joyce w. laudon
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short, sweet and lovely picture book about a young girl's love for her grandfather and the memories that they build together. The grandfather's death is gently implied in the story; the reader watches as his granddaughter is sustained by her memories and his gifts to her. The illustrations are appealing and warm. This book is a good one for parents to read to young children who are coping with loss. It is a gentle and affirming story.
Moriah Conant
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a precious story of a granddaughter's love for her granddad. She chronicles the sweet, happy memories that they share. They have happy traditions and enjoy spending time together.

Even when a big life change occurs, the narrator still focuses on the love and joy that her granddad brought. She works through her grief by writing her memories down in her journal.

Highly recommend this book. Thanks, NetGalley, for the read in exchange for an honest review.
Tale of a Bookworm
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2018, netgalley, arc
If All the World is a book about GRIEF and how to cope with it.

The book is written in 1st person perspective of a little girl, who is really close with her granddad. She loves her granddad and understands he is getting old. Then one day... no more granddad.

She picks up her journal and starts painting and writing down her memories of her granddad, so that she never forgets them and the happy memories of her granddad stays with her forever.

This book is a great way of showing little kids how to d
Karen Nelson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book about generational love and ultimately a grandfather''s death. The illustrations are gorgeous and supplement the text of the book, which is a story about a child and her grandfather. It details the course of a year, where much time is spent sharing life and stories, and ultimately his death. The theme of the story is that sharing of of his tales and skills lives on with his grandchild, who has her grandfather in her heart and in every room. This is a family from India, which i ...more
Emma Radford
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly beautiful book, with wonderful illustrations. It offers a sensitive and comforting way of dealing with the loss of a loved one, but is also a brilliantly heartwarming story. We highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 next »