Start by marking “It Came From The Deep (Supernatural Sisters, #3)” as Want to Read:
It Came From The Deep  (Supernatural Sisters, #3)

It Came From The Deep

(Supernatural Sisters #3)

An elderly professor is murdered, leaving a puzzling crime scene for police to unravel and a laboratory housing all kinds of marine life. But something is missing … something huge.

Recent highschool graduate Kaia Craig has problems of her own, with her career as an ironwoman on the Gold Coast in jeopardy after a horrific accident. Yet someone wants to hold her accountable.
Published October 31st 2017 by Maria Lewis

To ask other readers questions about It Came From The Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Came From The Deep

Start your review of It Came From The Deep (Supernatural Sisters, #3)
Ryan Buckby
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's always one thing i can say and that is i love Maria's books and the world that she has created is just everything.

These books are set in Australia and all interconnect which is awesome and i love seeing the different characters from the other books. For such a short book this book as so much to this universe and yes i use universe because that's what these books have become.

Maria's books are all so well written and this one isn't any different and i can always go into her books and com
Alan Baxter
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An aquatic humanoid mystery story that’s thoroughly Australian in setting? Well, that’s gotta be something you don’t see often. This is well worth a read, give it a try.
Jessica (aus.fangirl.reads)
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

Omg this book!
I need to try and control my emotions because omg this story was so beautiful!

The characters were amazing, I pretty much wanted to adopt the Craig siblings (Kaia & Storm) right away, Cabby was serious friendship goals and Amos... my little baby Amos all I wanted to do was look after him.
Maria does such a great job at writing real relatable characters who you have to love.

The pacing was perfect and even though it was a short book (well, shorter than I usually rea
Jayse
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS!!
Oh my jesus hello saiiiiilor!!
What a brilliant little book this is. Maz has in this book created characters whom I have fallen head over heels for. I am in awe of this writer. Guys, you seriously need this book in your life.

Quirky ✔
Action packed ✔
Awkward ✔
Romantic ✔
Brilliantly written ✔

Loved it!!!
Amanda
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m the wrong audience for this book. It fell into some YA tropes I don’t get on with, but avoided many YA pitfalls, too. I liked the inclusive cast, Australian setting, and imperfect protagonist. I didn’t love the romance, pacing and shallow world-building. I wish this had been much longer to incorporate other timelines and perspectives or much shorter to make the unexplained details less visible. It was a quick read, though, that blended a murder mystery with aquatic humanoids in a way I haven ...more
Rosie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5*

Maria Lewis is an absolute queen, and I will forever read every single book she ever writes.
Emily
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I finished this Sunday night, the night before my exam. Why did I do that? I know it is because it was a really good read and I wanted to find out how it ended regardless if I needed to be up in five and a half hours. Maria Lewis you have done it again. Your writing is so nice to read and I love your story lines as well. I am very happy that you decided to go ahead and publish this even though publishers would not - maybe one day it can be published as a physical book. Amos was such a cute an ...more
Gabi
I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this. Sure bits and pieces of if felt familiar, but all the pieces put together the way they are is entirely new to me! Honestly read like a movie I'd love to watch. It was comfortingly (thankfully not annoyingly) Australian. It took me a couple sittings to get into the story proper, but once I did I couldn't put it down! The story is the right amount of thrilling, and I just NEEDED to know what happened next.
Just go try it, I promise it won't be
Peta Tron
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well that was super fun! I found some of the iron person/surf stuff a bit dorky but that may be because I grew up on the gold and sunshine coasts and always thought that stuff was a bit lame. But this was exactly what I needed right now, a fun, quick, interesting read. It works as a stand alone but is also open to a sequel.
Jem
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was fun and quirky with a bit of mystery and romance thrown in. It is set in the world of Surf Clubs on the Gold Coast. I loved the combination of sci fi and everyday Australia. The flow between chapters and the scences within was done well and i didn't feel like I was missing anything or not know what was happening. There is LGBTQI, Mental Health and different culture representation which I felt Maria wrote about well.
Maria has done a superb job creating and developing th
Greg Vekiarellis
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had planned to read this book on an upcoming long haul flight, but did the terrible mistake of reading the first few chapters in bed one night and couldn’t put it down. It’s an easy read, but don’t let that fool you; the characters are fully realised, the story unfolds at a cracking pace, and no one writes females, and their friendships with each other, like Maria Lewis does. Except maybe Gail Simone.

Ramona
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LISTEN. You know you wanna read a mystery about a merman, excuse me an aquatic humanoid because if you don’t, well I can’t help you. And I’m not just saying that because my name’s in the back of the book.
Jenna
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So I finished and now I would like a sequel please and thank you because I have questions that need answering.

Full RTC at a more acceptable hour.
Tash
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, e-arc
Reviewed @ Thoughts By Tash
Review copy kindly provided by the author in exchange for a honest review

Lewis ‘s YA Debut It Came From The Deep, is an unexpected surprise that fills a niche in the Australian Market. In a country that is diverse and has many opportunities . Clubbie culture isn’t something that is found in YA books. It’s a lifestyle that is under represented in Australian YA and is a key part of Australian history and culture

Lewis paints of a picture of a lifestyle where everyone tr
Deanne
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this. The cracking pace of a Matthew Reilly thriller with the same kind of local familiarity that you get reading a Nick Earls, this is awesome urban fantasy, Gold Coast style! I devoured it in 3 days. There are two things I really love about this. Firstly, Maria Lewis's brand of feminism. Her female leads are strong and fierce but with no denial of their femininity, their grace, their gentleness or their vulnerability. Second, I love that behind the fantastical love story, this is a mod ...more
Sandra
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sheridan Kunde
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the concept of a merman book (or aquatic humanoid!) as well as a book with a local (to me) setting. Sometimes I feel like the feminism in Maria's books is as subtle as a sledgehammer but sometimes that's exactly what you need!

One of my wishes for this book is that we had a better idea of which organisation is hunting was hunting mermaids and if it has anything to do with her books which are all connected if I understand correctly.

There is a surprising amount of drama and action in this
Lyn Haines
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sydney presenter, producer and writer extraordinaire Maria Lewis, has penned an intriguing and original coming of age tale set against the glittering backdrop of Australia's Gold Coast.

It Came From The Deep opens in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy for which the 'golden girl' of surf sports, Kaia Craig, is held responsible. Brutally attacked by her accusers, Kaia is rescued by something (or someone) in Lake Pelutz. Kaia's ingenuity, self-belief and stamina are put to the test as she races to
Natalie Mulford
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I can honestly say I've never read a story about a merman before (ahem, I mean aquatic humanoid) & now I'm wondering what else I've missed out on. Being a fan of Maria's writing, I decided to give this YA book a read and I'm ever so glad I did.
I admit loving books set in Australia, it just makes it so much easier for me to get into the story. So to me, the Gold Coast setting was perfect in many ways. I adored the characters and grew more attached to each as the story progressed. I enjoyed how y
Zohal
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
I enjoyed this story. I think it could have been more developed though. However, the story was enjoyable, fast-paced and fun to read. I liked the main character and the ending was good. The second half specifically I quite liked. I did think the pacing was a bit slow for the first half. I like that this is an Aussie book by an Aussie author and it is different in tone to other books I have read. The writing is solid too. All round enjoyable read, worth the money AND I would be interested in a se ...more
India Hancock
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so addictive it was enough to haul me out my drought of reading abstinence. I had lacked so much motivation to sit down and read a book due to being so exhausted from work, however Maria’s new hit was enough to pull me out my slump and find that motivation again.

I was so over emotionally attached to the female lead of Kaia,that I genuinely teared up once I had finished the book.

Low key praying there will be a second book written....

Highly recommend !!!
Chloe Lewis
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn. Damn. Damn. Reading the blurb I was sceptical, I’d always thought Mermaids and the like we’re cliche and kinda sissy’s, but boy did this change my opinion! It Came From The Deep is a beautifully written and awesomely fleshed our book that everyone needs to read. I just spent 5 hours binging it in bed instead of going to work, and I have ZERO regrets! Congrats Maria for another INCREDIBLE book!!
Jacinta Morley
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devoured this book in under a day! It was such an engaging and unique story, I just had to know how it ended. As a former nipper and surf athlete on the Gold Coast, this book brought and unparalleled sense of realism and truth to a story about a merman... and it was amazing!
Bec Rideout
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was described to me as Little mermaid meets The Creature from the Black Lagoon and it does not disappoint. While there is a romance element it is about healing from trauma and how a close relationship helps that. I loved it
Rowan Grover
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, fanstasy
OK mix of YA romance, adventure and myth that would appeal to fans of surfing culture but somewhat one-dimensional and unrealistic. The cover art was more compelling than the story, but I was still compelled to finish it. The cliffhanger ending suggests a sequel.
Blue
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story. The characters are so interesting to read. I especially loved Cabby.
Was not expecting to enjoy a book about mermen but read it because Ms Lewis always manages to tell a good story.
Sophie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another kraken novel from Maria Lewis - want more mermen/aquatic humanoids in my life!
Debbie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mermen, murder & mayhem. Aussie surf, sun and solidarity. Maria Lewis does mythical creatures well. A great read. Get on it. ...more
Ashley
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story.

• Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Stalin's Wine Cellar
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Reckoning: A Memoir
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Silvered
  • Men at Work: Australia’s Parenthood Trap (Quarterly Essay #75)
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
  • Between Floors (The City Between, #3)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between, #2)
  • Indigo
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
Maria Lewis is a an author, screenwriter, and journalist from Australia. Getting her start as a police reporter at her local newspaper when she was a teenager, her writing on pop culture has appeared in publications such as The Guardian, New York Post, Empire Magazine, Penthouse, Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Junkee and many more. A former segment producer, writer and pres ...more

Supernatural Sisters (6 books)
  • Who's Afraid?  (Supernatural Sisters, #1)
  • Who's Afraid Too?  (Supernatural Sisters, #2)
  • The Witch Who Courted Death  (Supernatural Sisters, #4)
  • The Wailing Woman  (Supernatural Sisters #5)
  • Who's Still Afraid?  (Supernatural Sisters, #6)