Start by marking “The Anomaly” as Want to Read:
The Anomaly

The Anomaly

(The Anomaly Files #1)

Not all secrets are meant to be found.

If Indiana Jones lived in the X-Files era, he might bear at least a passing resemblance to Nolan Moore -- a rogue archaeologist hosting a documentary series derisively dismissed by the "real" experts, but beloved of conspiracy theorists.

Nolan sets out to retrace the steps of an explorer from 1909 who claimed to have discovered a myster
Published June 19th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

Sara
Michael here's the thing. You're about to become absurdly famous. People are going to be badgering you to be on their talk shows. Saturday Night Live will do a spoof on you. David Letterman will come out of retirement just to do a top ten list with you on it. There will be fan fiction. So much fan fiction.

Everyone is going to know who you are. You're going to have some clout. Power to get things done. Or to stop things from happening as the case may be. So with that in mind...

Please, for the lo
Kylie D
I don't normally read a lot of horror stories, but gee I'm glad I read this one. We follow a team of documentary makers, their show "The Anomaly Files" is a bit of a hit on YouTube, even though they don't usually find anything. The episode they are about to film takes place in a cave hidden in the Grand Canyon, but nobody is really sure where. This time the team actually gets lucky and finds the cave, but when they start to explore it they become trapped, and then the nightmare unleashes...
I fou
Justin Tate
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A non-stop thrill ride that reminded me of one of my all-time favorites, The Ruins.

I was hesitant to start The Anomaly, since some reviews indicated it began strong and went downhill fast. I did not have that experience. In my opinion it starts strong and gets better and better and better. The premise is actually somewhat original, the twists are numerous, and the scares are a'plenty. Not a single dull moment. Can't wait for the movie and to read the next book in the series!
Liz Barnsley
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Lord this was brilliant. Creepy as all heck, a brilliant main protagonist, a hugely engaging wider cast and a horrifically addictive plot. I finished it late last night, bleary eyed, hugely satisfied with the entire read including the heart stopping finale. Also loved that the explanation made a fantastic kind of sense and wasn't pulled out of the ass end of nowhere in an attempt to be clever as so often happens with this type of adventure book.

Indiana Jones on acid with added HORROR. Also
megs_bookrack

Splendid!
Full review to come...stay tuned!
Linda
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things that certainly go bump in the night......

Michael Rutger begins this wired one in an unknown cave in the Grand Canyon in 1909. Sam and George have come upon something unearthly in this dark inner sanctum. Something that seems to be following them as they scramble toward the light. But peace and safety will never reside within these two men ever again.

Time switches on rapid spin to the present day and we meet Nolan Moore. Nolan is an archaeologist composite of Indiana Jones and the X-Files
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I have to agree that I was completely hooked on the promise of fight and adventure! I still believe that this story could have been delivered so much better, and not just in terms of how it was told, but the story and its details itself. Tell anyone this premise and they'll tell you "this should be a movie, NOW". That's no coincidence – the author happens to be a screenwriter, and I actually wondered if he was before I read the acknowledgements, where it's confirmed that he was. Unfortunately fo ...more
Book of the Month
Why I Love It
by Siobhan Jones

One reason I love thrillers is because the diversity of the genre continuously delights me. You’ve got your British domestic suspense à la The Child, your blue-collar detective novels like Two Girls Down, psychological mindwreckery like Behind Her Eyes … I could go on and on. Is it a stretch to posit that if you grouped and mapped thrillers as Darwin once mapped earth’s species on a “tree of life,” you’d find an array of fiction as copious as the animal kingdom its
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNF @ 20% because the main character was insufferably pretentious. BLEH.
Natalie M
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Think Indiana Jones meets Da Vinci Code meets Hunger Games...then be prepared to freak out! Highly recommend not reading this one before bed.
The Anomaly by screenwriter Michael Rutger (pseudonym) is unique, fast-paced, thought-provoking with a brilliant plot, and unbelievable location descriptions.
Characters- can absolutely see this as a movie and all I could picture was Hugh Jackman as Nolan (would be interesting to hear what others think). The Anomaly team is quirky, endearing, authentic and
Emma
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of the best science fiction thrillers i’ve read in AGES. If you like Mathew Reilly or James Rollins, this is very much for you.

Opening with a horror movie/Indiana Jones moment that sets the scene with terrifying screams in the dark, it then switches to a more chatty, diary style narrative related directly to the reader by amateur archaeologist, Nolan Moore. He walks the fine line of being both cocky and amusing, managing to be genuinely appealing by acknowledging his foibles and worl
Michelle
No Rating. DNF. Will not be included in my 2018 reading challenge.

Spelunking? Lost in a cave system? Hidden dangers lurking? Sign me up! Caves terrify me, I'm claustrophobic, so the very idea of spelunking is enough to set me on edge.

BUT.....

At 10% in and I can already tell that, sadly, this isn't a book for me. I decided to read a "spoiler" review and I'm thankful that I did because if I continued to read only to find "this" out I would of wanted all of my time back. Better for me to just mov
Susan
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
Sometimes my son watches a TV programme where a group of, very strange, men, wander the backwoods of America looking for, and yet, never finding, strange creatures. This novel is cleverly based around a similar show – The Anomaly Files – a low budget, online show, with a similar theme of exploring conspiracy theories and, false history stories. The narrator of this novel, Nolan Moore, is the presenter, and he and the producer/director, Ken, have a new sponsor and the chance of a jump to cable TV ...more
Rachel
4.5 stars, but rounded up to 5.

To begin with, the title is so good. It's intriguing, and it makes sense after you finish the novel. I love it when the title of a book creeps into the dialogue or inner monologue.

The book is written in first-person, from the point of view of Nolan. Nolan is a "rogue archaeologist" who explores myths and history that most people dismiss as nonsense. He's moving on up from a web series creator to a potential television TV series, and him and his small crew go check
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
"...And step one of that is getting out of this crevice. Because it sucks in here. This is the place and point and time from which the rest of our lives start. There is a path from here. And so we need to move along it. We have to go on, and keep going. Okay?"
"Okay," she said, very quietly. Then, a little more strongly, "Okay. Sorry."
"Don't be sorry.....I'm not enjoying this process either, and that's because it's shit. So let's go."
I started to shuffle forward. After a moment, I felt her follo
Jessica Diatalevi
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh. Dear. Lord. I could NOT wait for this one to end. Many, many, many times I thought about calling it quits but I read so many reviews saying how “horrifying” and “scary” it was so I kept pushing through waiting...hoping for something scary—even remotely good to happen. It wasn’t until after page 200 that it got somewhat (and I use the term lightly) interesting. But I can assure you, at that point I went from pure boredom to “what the hell is this?!” SPOILER- unicorns, giant beasts with horns, ...more
Paul
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
nolan Moore and his team are YouTube sensations with dreams of becoming mainstream television hosts of their show the anomaly files. nolan believes a cavern in the Grand Canyon is the key to that.

everything goes to shit...

I loved the first person narration as the reader got to know nolan and his team. although the 1st person spoiled fact there was 99% chance nolan at least came out of this adventure alive that was balanced by Michael creating tension and suspense through other means, and he mad
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I knew I needed to read this book when the blurb stated that the main characters would be like a modern version of Indiana Jones in an X-Files era. I LOVE Indiana Jones!

Nolan Moore is a YoutTube celebrity, hosting his own web show where he's trying to find if the truth is out there ... Nolan loves mysteries, although he's not a true archaeologist. He used to be in the movies, well he was a screenwriter. But, he's very passionate when it comes to his show.

This time he's retracing the step of an e
Benjamin Thomas
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nolan Moore leads a team of four TV web series production crew members in an effort to retrace the path of an explorer from 1909 who made an important but mysterious discovery of a cave high up in the rock strata of the Grand Canyon. Nolan’s crew hopes to ramp up their reputation of chasing after strange conspiracy theory anomalies and turn this potential find into ratings gold and hopefully an actual TV network program. Thus, they allow a journalist and a rep for their corporate sponsor along f ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
T/W- Death, Swearing, Violence

Readers, this is honestly a thriller novel that you need to add to your TBR lists, like right this second. I don't think I've ever felt so spooked about an adventurous thriller in all of my life! I would highly recommend The Anomaly to fans of Indiana Jones, Dan Brown's novels and even Stephen King's novels. A creepy read that will stick with me for a very long time!

The main character Nolan is a host on a famous conspiracy theory show and one theory about a cave has
Nat
This has to be one of my favourite reads of the year... It hooked me in right from the start and did not let go until the end...

I loved the MC and his journey as a character.. My favourite interactions were between him (Nolan) and another character Ken... Just two very likable characters..

The Anomaly would not of been something I would normally pick up, but I am so happy I took a chance on this.. Was a brilliant adventure story, a great light read for me between harder hitting plot lines I've re
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found here!

4.5/5

TW: mentions of cheating and slight gore

I read this book in one day. Nearly in one sitting, actually.

We had workers all around the house to do stuff with our A/C (we had to get a new one and this was the final step of making it the most efficient it could be), so I was sitting in the kitchen and just read. There were a couple other books that I had planned on getting to during that time, but, literally, I just read this book.

I read all of it and it was glo
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads, horror
The Anomaly is just the kind of James Rollins novel I love - an action-packed tale full of quippy characters in exotic locales that takes two facts and turns them into something that skirts the edges of both science fiction and horror. Except Anomaly isn't Rollins, it's Rutger - a pseudonym for a California-based screenwriter - who lacks Rollins' ability to slow boil a reader in how implausibly nuts his plots are until it's too late to care.

To his credit, Rutger starts out with a killer premise:
Bill
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Anomaly.

By the man of many Michaels.

There were some truly interesting elements here that I wish were explored sooner and more in depth. The characters were interesting enough and drawn well, but unfortunately, the generic elements of the story outweighed the unique and it slowed it way down for me. There were several periods of little action with an occasional info dump thrown in here and there.

It felt like the story was having a hard time finding its way. What was it? Thriller? Sci-Fi? Hor
Julia Cardamone
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Uhg, I'm absolutely torn here, so ultimately going with a solid 3 stars.

First and foremost, I could not and did not put this down. I finished it all in one sitting and don't regret that at all.

The first 3/4ths or maybe even 4/5ths of this book are completely spell binding. I was taken away and swallowed whole by the premise from page 1. And then, geez, so many amazing, unexpected plot twists. I spent my entire read with my nose dug into the pages and completely on my toes.

Not to mention, I love
Kate
As has been said, there is something of the Indiana Jones about this magnificent thriller. It delivers on every level from start to finish and is extremely well-written and brilliantly imagined. Caves and I are done with each other..... if I should see one again, I'm walking the other way. This is most definitely worth a pre-order.
Thebooktrail
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this at night
I couldn't sleep
I was transfixed by those mountains, that Canyon, that cavern
What an adventure!
I've been trekking in the Grand Canyon but nothing like this! It's thrilling and horrific beyond belief
Very clever, atmospheric and deliciously dark
"The Beach" for the trekkers and trailers of the travel world
Full review once I've recovered
Cindy Newton
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read! The horror is good--being trapped in a cave with something unknown is pretty high on the scary scale (if you haven't seen The Descent, you need to!) and these "somethings" are quickly off-the-chart in fear factor. Another great element of this story, though, is the characterization. The main character and narrator, Nolan Moore, is a bit of a smart-ass. Actually, he's a lot of a smart-ass, and his trusty sidekick, his producer, Ken, is the perfect partner-in-crime for ...more
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, scifi, read-2018
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

I can't remember exactly where I heard about this book, but it was described to me as being very similar to The Descent, one of my favorite horror movies. While you would absolutely never get me into a cave outside of a guided tour, I absolutely LOVE this kind of claustrophobic horror, especially when it's based in conspiracy theories. As soon as I got the chance to read this book I jumped in!

Ignore the cheesy description of Nolan Moore from the synopsi
Margie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
The Anomaly, which begins with a spine-tingling prologue and for which film rights have already been acquired, strongly resembles an Indiana Jones script. The author, mindful of this, even mentions Indiana Jones at one point. As much as I liked the Indiana Jones movies, I was rolling my eyes at some of the inane scenes and dialogue in this book, especially in the beginning chapters. I knew I should stop reading after this blatantly misogynistic description of one the characters, Molly, an associ ...more
Book of The Month: The Anomaly 6 53 Feb 08, 2019 03:59AM
  • The Rust Maidens
  • The Carrow Haunt
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Frankenstein Dreams: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Science Fiction
  • The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)
  • Love Is Red (Nightsong Trilogy #1)
  • In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)
  • The Hunger
  • The Devil Crept In
Michael Rutger is a screenwriter whose work has been optioned by major Hollywood studios. He lives in California with his wife and son.

Michael Rutger is a pen name for internationally bestselling author Michael Marshall.

The Anomaly Files (2 books)
  • The Possession (The Anomaly Files Book 2)
“Nobody gets through life without being an asshole...Once in a while you're going to dig in over something and get it wrong and make a scratch on the world you'll never polish off. Those scratches will define you more than anything else.” 3 likes
“It's never the world at large you want to prove yourself to. It's someone in particular. Doesn't matter how old you get, you're still hoping for Mom or Dad to kiss you on the head.
And yes, that person should ideally be yourself, just as the answers to all our questions and the objects of our quests should most likely be found within our own souls. But they're not. We need more. Someone or something bigger than us. A magical other.
And that's why we reach for the gods.
Or for someone to love.”
2 likes