Start by marking “Ta-Da!” as Want to Read:
Ta-Da!

Ta-Da!

What makes a good story? One little girl thinks it's a princess with magical powers that can—ta-da!—overcome any obstacle. Her friend thinks it's—dun dun duh!—a combination of dragons, pirates, and fire that cause total chaos. But as their stories intertwine, these two young storytellers soon learn that a good story needs both conflict—dun dun duh!—and resolution—ta-da! An ...more
Published June 26th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Ta-Da!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ta-Da!

Start your review of Ta-Da!
Crystal
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yay for imagination I guess but this was all over the place.
Lynn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Two playmates or siblings try to out do each other's imaginations. Clever and fun.
Stephanie Bange
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
First-time author Davis and first-time illustrator Kaylani Juanita team up for a "Ta-da!" fun adventure that has "Dun-dun-duh!" a boy in it who enjoys putting a monkey-wrench in a young girl's imaginary playtime. No matter what obstacles or impediments the boy throws in her way, the girl rises up and turns the table on him. For example, the dragon who is breathing fire and wrecking the castle is turned into a kind dragon. The "pirate" who takes the girl and her dragon prisoner finds she casts a ...more
Barbara
While it's true that many readers love stories with happy endings and might like to have everything go smoothly throughout a story, sometimes there simply has to be some conflict in order for there to be much of a story. In this picture book, a young girl and a young boy are at cross purposes during part of the book since she loves princesses and gentle things while he loves fire-breathing dragons and action. Every time there is a conflict and the boy attempts to sabotage the girl's play with hi ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

An adorable story about two fantastic pretenders and their journey to a stronger friendship. In the book, two friends play pretend. The boy tries to wreck havoc but the girl is always there with her magic wand to save the day... until the boy gets bored and plays by himself instead. Great story about playing together and sharing ideas, not just playing how you want to play.

The story itself is all over the place with dragons and magic shows, Atlanti
Nicola
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We loved it! It reminded me very much of the 'Consequences' writing exercise we used to do at school. The narrative is shared between the boy and girl (with each having their own text colour). I love how they take turns with the positive and negative events in their shared imagination story (i.e. the dog-dragon comes and breathes fire on everything but a little magic turns him into a kind dragon).

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #kidlitexchange for sharing a free copy of this book!
Ta-Da!✨ Happy release week to this picture book! The main characters use the fun phrases ‘Ta-Da!’ and ‘Dun-Dun-Duh!’ to create a story. They quickly go back and forth to add more conflict and resolution to the story filled with magic and surprise! The characters use their imaginations and every day objects to create their stories. It is a nice way for the reader to learn story elements. ✨My kids loved saying the expressive phrases t
Shana
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I thought this captured the magic of children's imaginary play quite well. With regards to the story being 'all over the place' that, I thought was a perfect interpretation (or mirror) to how kid's imagination and play can sometimes land 'all over the place.'

If you've ever eavesdropped on imaginary play (and I suspect this author has) what seems unorthodox to us, makes perfect sense to them. I loved it. It was a fun read that still makes me smile! I would recommend this book, especially if your
Amber Vargas
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly LOVED this story! It reminded me that it is okay and encouraged to use imagination just about anywhere for any reason! I read it with my 11 year old daughter for fun for a preview. Then, Kathy Ellen herself Skyped my class on Read Aloud day and read it to my kiddos while having them say the"Ta da!" and "Dun Dun dun!" parts with cute hand signals. She and the story are a new favorite of mine!
R.L.
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun and interactive picture book that showcases a child’s imagination and will leave young readers laughing about the dueling nature of storytelling, lingering over the beautiful illustrations, and wondering where in their lives they might work together to create an epic story. Smart, playful, highly entertaining.
Zoey
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun story about the power of imagination. And also about how sometimes when everything goes your way, happily ever after is boring and rather it’s working together and taking turns that leads to happily ever after. Works extra well when 2 people read it aloud together.

The pictures are also charming. I like how it blends the pretend and real bits together.
Lacey
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really thoroughly enjoyed this book, I think that for those that see it as all over the place do not remember the limitless fun imagination can hold. Kathy Ellen Davis truly captured what it's like being a child and having the freedom to imagine and create. Kaylani's illustration all so perfectly captured the magical experience that is childhood.
Aaron Loeffelbein
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Super cute story about two children and their imagination that will help kids understand the concepts of conflict (dun-dun-DUH!) and resolution (Ta-Da!) in storytelling. Loved it! Hope to use it in storytime someday!
Joss
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story and gorgeous illustrations!
Mary Ann
Love the artwork! Really looking forward to seeing more from Kaylani Juanita.
Mary Lee
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Love all the imagination, but the story needs a bit more cohesiveness.
Tracie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two friends playing together figure out how to tell a tale that satisfies them both.
Kelly
This is kind of like a "good news, bad news" format. I thought the book flip-flopped a little too vaguely.
Marissa Elera
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am extremely in love with this book and can't wait to use it for storytime!
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Started out strong but became muddled with way too much happening.
Steph
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Reminds me of a younger Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude (by Kevin O’Malley.)

paula
Gonna be fun to do in a tag-team storytime.
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love the imagination, but this must be what it's like inside a toddler's brain - a total hot mess of unfinished idea vomiting.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This book reminded me of how my brother and I used to play. I would play where everything was nice and happy and he would create trouble.
Ann Santori
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really dynamic illustrations and a fun story of imagination with refrains ('da da DUN'/'ta-da!') that would lend themselves really well to a group storytime read!
Sonja
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute.
Juliana Lee
I wish this was more of a story and less of a series of dun-dun-duh events followed by ta-da. The best part (for me) was that two children of different races played together.
Megan
A girl and boy use their imaginations to take a dragon on adventures!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little disjointed, because it mimics the imaginative play of two children who keep interrupting each other and constantly changing the game they're playing. But cute.
Goodreads Librari...: Book without cover 2 15 May 02, 2018 03:09PM

• Because
  • Reading Beauty
  • Two Problems for Sophia
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Potato Pants!
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • A Dog Named Doug
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Cat Wishes
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • All Are Welcome
  • Mary Wears What She Wants
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Mae Among the Stars
Kathy Ellen Davis is a writer, bookseller, and educator who grew up making stories with her toys. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is her first book.

News & Interviews