Start by marking “We Don't Eat Our Classmates” as Want to Read:
We Don't Eat Our Classmates

We Don't Eat Our Classmates

It's the first day of school for Penelope Rex, and she can't wait to meet her classmates. But it's hard to make human friends when they're so darn delicious! That is, until Penelope gets a taste of her own medicine and finds she may not be at the top of the food chain after all. . . .
Published June 19th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about We Don't Eat Our Classmates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Don't Eat Our Classmates

Hannah Greendale
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a word: hilarious.

Calista
Such a cute story. Penelope is a T-Rex about to go to school. She finds out that all her classmates are human. Humans are tasty so she eats them and the teacher makes her spit them back out. Not your usual story here. Needless to say, she has trouble making friends, plus, she keeps trying to eat her classmates.

The change happens when she experiences what this feels like to her. There is a goldfish that takes a bit out of Penelope’s finger and it hurts. Penelope did not like that feeling and it s
Betsy
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each year, as the new school year draws ever closer, a bounty of first day of school books are published. The bulk of them are overly familiar. A couple of them are a bit witty. But one of them, only one of them, will ascend to the level of “classic”. This year, I am very pleased to announce that the honor simply must go to We Don’t Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins. It pretty much has everything I’ve ever wanted in a book on Kindergarten. Dinosaurs. Sociopathic goldfish. Saliva. You name it ...more
Colby Sharp
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2018-nerdy
One of the funniest books of 2018.
Henry Martin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations, funny lines, and adorable moments in a classroom - what's not to like.
One of the few children's books that made me laugh out loud. Nicely done! '
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

“WE DON’T EAT OUR CLASSMATES! Please spit them out at once!”

Ryan T. Higgins hit my very short list of auto-buy picture book authors in a hurry after meeting Mother Bruce. A character that will forever make me giggle. And he’s done it again with this one!

We Don’t Eat Our Classmates introduces readers to an adorable little T.rex named Penelope. She’s very nervous about her first day of school. Will her classmates like her? How many teeth will they have? :D When the big day arrives, Penelope is sur
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have read this book with my 4 year old every night since it arrived. I love when a picture book can make both of us laugh and this one certainly does. It's hilarious! He loves it because it makes him giggle and so do I. I also love the diversity depicted within Penelope's classmates and how it subtly addresses starting school jitters. This one made it to the favorites shelf right away. I highly recommend it!
La Coccinelle
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is way too cute. It teaches compassion and empathy in a gentle, funny way.

Penelope really wants to make friends in kindergarten, but she just can't stop herself from eating her classmates. (Fortunately, "eating" them consists mainly of putting them in her mouth. Aside from ending up slobbery, the kids are physically unharmed.) Then all the kids become afraid of her, and she's left with nobody but the class goldfish, Walter, for company. And let's just say that Walter has issues of his
David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This is book #10 (of 20) of 2018. The ratings were all high for this one, which made everyone smile.

Lyra (11): 4.5 stars.I like how he thought he could befriend 2 kids by eating them. He's so cute and funny.

Hank (12): 4.5 stars. I liked some of the lines in the book.

Harry (13): 5 stars. LOVED the book. It was so funny.

Tara: 4 stars. Kids would actually like this, as opposed to some of the other nominees, that adults like.
Rian *fire and books*
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AAAAHHHHHHHH I love this author. I really do.

This one was super adorable, full of food, and utterly humorous. I also want Penelope’s backpack that can hold 300 sandwiches. I need that to carry my books.
Michele Knott
When in doubt, choose a Ryan T. Higgins book to read. They never disappoint.
Krissy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Super cute!
Brenda Lower
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. Such a funny book. Absolutely hilarious. I love it. Immediately recommended it to a couple co-workers and friends and family members.

I love not only the illustrations and the story, but how it teaches empathy. Many young kids have trouble understanding that other people feel things, and how your actions can affect how they feel. Such a fun book to teach a deep concept!
M. Lauritano
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
What does it mean to be eaten in the context of stories for children? Ever since the mythical Cronus ate his children, wolves gobbled up two out of three little pigs, Red Riding Hood and her grandma, and a little old lady swallowed a fly, protagonists have been eaten or do the eating themselves. Max’s Wild Things famously threaten to eat him up, so much is their love for him. Klassen toyed with implied character consumption in two of his hat books, in which the eaten party is the recipient of so ...more
AleJandra
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
4.5 STARS

description

A pero que libro tan bonito, los gráficos y paleta de colores transmite pura alegría.
La historia por otro lado te deja pensando, y reflexionando cual es el mensaje principal de esta.
En un inicio pensé que trataba sobre los problemas a los que te enfrentas cuando eres diferente a los demás, como nuestra protagonista Penélope, que era el único dinosaurio en un salón lleno de humanos.

description

Pero creo que el mensaje principal es como no aprendemos algo por más que nos lo digan, la verdadera for
Stephanie  Weatherly
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love love! I laughed out loud reading this book to my littles tonight.
John of Canada
Another winner from Ryan T.Higgins.Ponies are delicious!
Jill
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 cuz this one it so cute!
Jenn Lopez
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SOOOOOOOOOO cute! Love the art, love the message, love the story, love the author bio! Ugh! It really can't get much cuter than this! xoxo
Chinook
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is probably the best book about starting school that I’ve ever read. I laughed out loud a few times. Kait and Maddie both really enjoyed it, but Maddie especially because she is still in a love phase with dinosaurs.
Katie Reilley
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hilarious picture book by Ryan T. Higgins!

Penelope is a T-Rex starting school. She’s looking forward to making friends with her classmates, but that doesn’t go as planned because they taste delicious! It’s not until the class pet takes a liking to Penelope’s finger that she realizes being eaten is no fun.

Loved the diverse children represented in this book, and I think students will pick up on theme (treat others the way you want to be treated) easily. A must have for those who do #clas
Lauren
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Laugh out loud funny, Higgin’s latest is about a T-Rex named Penelope trying to make friends on the first day of school - except she can’t help but eat them!

She quickly learns after being bitten on the finger by the class goldfish that being eaten is not fun.

The class Penelope is in had a diverse group and the pictures cute and hilarious.
Olivia Slykhuis
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this! Penelope T-Rex just has trouble not eating her classmates...until the class goldfish tries to eat her finger and she understands how it feels. So cute, good message, great pictures, adorable details. Love love. Will use for dinosaur storytime. 2+
Sara
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read, even with high school students.
KC
This is a hilarious book on how a T Rex feels out of place at school and how to fit in.
Melinda Beatty
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and great for kids nervous about starting school!
Grace
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Our back to school book, very funny. Grace approves, her favorite part is the goldfish biting the T Rex.
Robbi Caldwell
Insta-fave with both kids and I have to stop and giggle every time we get to any “delicious” parts. Lol.
Jennie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Such a cute book, with a great message. Also dinosaurs!
Chance Lee
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Do we need to experience something first-hand in order to have empathy for the same thing happening to others? Does what we do to other people need to be done to us in order to change our own behavior? We Don't Eat Our Classmates suggests that is the case. Penelope T-Rex eats all her classmates on the first day of school. Then they don't want to be friends with her. Sometimes she occasionally eats one as a snack, but she spits them out quickly. Resisting the urge to eat children is hard. After a ...more