Start by marking “We Don't Eat Our Classmates” as Want to Read:
We Don't Eat Our Classmates

We Don't Eat Our Classmates

(Penelope #1)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  6,255 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews
Penelope the dinosaur starts school, but it’s hard to make friends when her classmates are so delicious!

It’s the first day of school for Penelope Rex, and she can’t wait to meet her classmates. But it’s hard to make human friends when they’re so darn delicious! That is, until Penelope gets a taste of her own medicine and finds she may not be at the top of the food chain af
Published June 19th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about We Don't Eat Our Classmates, please sign up.
Judy A. Divide into two groups, and have them take turns acting out what their pets do (focused charades). For those that don't have a pet, have them act out …moreDivide into two groups, and have them take turns acting out what their pets do (focused charades). For those that don't have a pet, have them act out a zoo animal instead. When someone guesses correctly, then they have to tell their animal's name. Take turns in a line, rather than who guesses correctly, some kids are better at this than others.(less)

·  6,255 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews

Start your review of We Don't Eat Our Classmates
Calista
Such a cute story. Penelope is a T-Rex about to go to school. She finds out that all her classmates are human. Humans are tasty so she eats them and the teacher makes her spit them back out. Not your usual story here. Needless to say, she has trouble making friends, plus, she keeps trying to eat her classmates.

The change happens when she experiences what this feels like to her. There is a goldfish that takes a bit out of Penelope’s finger and it hurts. Penelope did not like that feeling and it s
Betsy
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each year, as the new school year draws ever closer, a bounty of first day of school books are published. The bulk of them are overly familiar. A couple of them are a bit witty. But one of them, only one of them, will ascend to the level of “classic”. This year, I am very pleased to announce that the honor simply must go to We Don’t Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins. It pretty much has everything I’ve ever wanted in a book on Kindergarten. Dinosaurs. Sociopathic goldfish. Saliva. You name it ...more
Jane
In this amusing little picture book, we follow Penelope the T-Rex as she tries to navigate starting kindergarten. Starting school is a difficult thing for many children, but Penelope finds it even more challenging because, as it turns out, her classmates are all human children. And everyone knows that human children are delicious.

description

Penelope struggles to make friends because she keep trying to eat the delicious children. Eventually she figures out that it's not fun to be eaten and that she will ne
Donna Backshall
"Children are the same as us on the inside. Just tastier."

Penelope helps us all learn the difficult lesson of putting yourself in someone else's shoes. It may seem obvious to most of us that it's not okay to eat our classmates, but it's not until the tables are turned that Penelope discovers just how awful it is to be eaten. Okay, that sounds really grotesque, but don't worry -- this book is 100% G-rated and adorably funny.

It's not often that I laugh out loud at a book, but while reading this on
Colby Sharp
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2018-nerdy
One of the funniest books of 2018.
Teal
Penelope Rex discovers that the secret to making friends at school is to refrain from eating them.

No matter how tasty they may be. How unfair is that?

Eventually A Lesson Is Learned, and all is well. This picture book, while mildly entertaining, simply isn't in the same league as I Just Ate My Friend -- in which, I'm happy to report, NO lessons are learned.
David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This is book #10 (of 20) of 2018. The ratings were all high for this one, which made everyone smile.

Lyra (11): 4.5 stars.I like how he thought he could befriend 2 kids by eating them. He's so cute and funny.

Hank (12): 4.5 stars. I liked some of the lines in the book.

Harry (13): 5 stars. LOVED the book. It was so funny.

Tara: 4 stars. Kids would actually like this, as opposed to some of the other nominees, that adults like.
Judith E
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stella
My grandkids loved this book. Very funny about a T-Rex on its way to kindergarten. Loved the pictures.
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
Children will adore We Don’t Eat Our Classmates, but not as much as their parents and grandparents! The latter will laugh out loud as pint-sized Penelope Rex goes to kindergarten for the first time and learns how to get along with her delicious human classmates. A great lesson for children on how to get along, but adults will love the quirky illustrations by Ryan T. Higgins and his sly prose. Highly, highly recommended.
Henry Martin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations, funny lines, and adorable moments in a classroom - what's not to like.
One of the few children's books that made me laugh out loud. Nicely done! '
Lori
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have read this book with my 4 year old every night since it arrived. I love when a picture book can make both of us laugh and this one certainly does. It's hilarious! He loves it because it makes him giggle and so do I. I also love the diversity depicted within Penelope's classmates and how it subtly addresses starting school jitters. This one made it to the favorites shelf right away. I highly recommend it!
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

“WE DON’T EAT OUR CLASSMATES! Please spit them out at once!”

Ryan T. Higgins hit my very short list of auto-buy picture book authors in a hurry after meeting Mother Bruce. A character that will forever make me giggle. And he’s done it again with this one!

We Don’t Eat Our Classmates introduces readers to an adorable little T.rex named Penelope. She’s very nervous about her first day of school. Will her classmates like her? How many teeth will they have? :D When the big day arrives, Penelope is sur
Rian *fire and books*
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AAAAHHHHHHHH I love this author. I really do.

This one was super adorable, full of food, and utterly humorous. I also want Penelope’s backpack that can hold 300 sandwiches. I need that to carry my books.
La Coccinelle
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is way too cute. It teaches compassion and empathy in a gentle, funny way.

Penelope really wants to make friends in kindergarten, but she just can't stop herself from eating her classmates. (Fortunately, "eating" them consists mainly of putting them in her mouth. Aside from ending up slobbery, the kids are physically unharmed.) Then all the kids become afraid of her, and she's left with nobody but the class goldfish, Walter, for company. And let's just say that Walter has issues of his
M. Lauritano
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
What does it mean to be eaten in the context of stories for children? Ever since the mythical Cronus ate his children, wolves gobbled up two out of three little pigs, Red Riding Hood and her grandma, and a little old lady swallowed a fly, protagonists have been eaten or do the eating themselves. Max’s Wild Things famously threaten to eat him up, so much is their love for him. Klassen toyed with implied character consumption in two of his hat books, in which the eaten party is the recipient of so ...more
Michele Knott
When in doubt, choose a Ryan T. Higgins book to read. They never disappoint.
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poor Penelope Rex - she just can't help eating her human classmates on her first day of school! Great book for young children that looks at how to make friends (and not eat them)!
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's impossible for me to choose which of the two books I read today about friend-eating will have the longest or strongest effect. All libraries would be wise to stock both, just in case.

Library copy
Krissy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Super cute!
Brenda Lower
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. Such a funny book. Absolutely hilarious. I love it. Immediately recommended it to a couple co-workers and friends and family members.

I love not only the illustrations and the story, but how it teaches empathy. Many young kids have trouble understanding that other people feel things, and how your actions can affect how they feel. Such a fun book to teach a deep concept!
Rod Brown
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my favorite kind of picture book! It teaches a lesson with wit that is hilarious, surprising, and a little bit dark. And it has perfectly matched art!

Here, a T. rex learns it is easier to make friends with your classmates if you aren't trying to eat them.
Sonja
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, read-in-2020
This was extremely cute!
Chance Lee
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Do we need to experience something first-hand in order to have empathy for the same thing happening to others? Does what we do to other people need to be done to us in order to change our own behavior? We Don't Eat Our Classmates suggests that is the case. Penelope T-Rex eats all her classmates on the first day of school. Then they don't want to be friends with her. Sometimes she occasionally eats one as a snack, but she spits them out quickly. Resisting the urge to eat children is hard. After a ...more
Stephanie  Weatherly
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love love! I laughed out loud reading this book to my littles tonight.
Chinook
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is probably the best book about starting school that I’ve ever read. I laughed out loud a few times. Kait and Maddie both really enjoyed it, but Maddie especially because she is still in a love phase with dinosaurs.
Jenn Lopez
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SOOOOOOOOOO cute! Love the art, love the message, love the story, love the author bio! Ugh! It really can't get much cuter than this! xoxo
KC
This is a hilarious book on how a T Rex feels out of place at school and how to fit in.
Jill
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 cuz this one it so cute!
Robbi Caldwell
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insta-fave with both kids and I have to stop and giggle every time we get to any “delicious” parts. Lol.
John of Canada
Another winner from Ryan T.Higgins.Ponies are delicious!

• The Day You Begin
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Drawn Together
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Hello Lighthouse