Start by marking “Give a Sh*t: Do Good. Live Better. Save the Planet.” as Want to Read:
Give a Sh*t: Do Good. Live Better. Save the Planet.

Give a Sh*t: Do Good. Live Better. Save the Planet.

"The time for stepping up and protecting our planet is now. And this book is an easy, enjoyable place to start." -- Moby

It's time to put your good intentions into action. It's time to give a shit -- about your health, your footprint, and your planet.

Give a Sh*t guides you through the transition to a kinder, healthier, more conscious, and sustainable life like no book has
Published June 26th 2018 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Give a Sh*t, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give a Sh*t

Start your review of Give a Sh*t: Do Good. Live Better. Save the Planet.
Grace
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I was looking for. For the most part, I’m someone who wants to help the environment as much as possible, but before this guide I was mostly just unsure how to do that. I stopped eating meat months ago, but besides that I wasn’t really doing all that much to be eco-friendly.
This book is a comprehensive guide on how to do better for the environment,without speaking down to you. Ashlee Piper sounds like a good friend throughout the book, just there to give you some statistics
Coleman
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
They'll tell you it's hopeless, that there's no point in trying to save the world because we can't make a difference. The environment is too big of a problem for us so we shouldn't worry about it, instead we should do nothing. Well I've tried doing nothing, and I don't feel any better.

Thank goodness for Ashlee Piper's manifesto, because she has taught me so many ways to do SOMETHING, without being judgmental or defeatist, which can be quite a difficult maneuver for the eco/sustainability crowd
⋯Kaylee Pratt⋯
This isn't a manual of restrictions—it's a manifesto for a life that's, perhaps for the first time, in harmony with your desire to do good.

This book changed my life. Seriously. I know we all say that, but this book changed my liiiiife. It's the best and only book on sustainability / eco-friendly lifestyle that I've ever read. The whole bring-your-own-bag-to-grocery-store, eat-less-meat, torches-and-pitchforks-to-animal-testing thing has always been intimidating to me as a cheapskate and (mostly)
Kelly
A lot of great tips for how to be more conscious of consumption and of the environment more broadly, but most of them are old hat and many are from a super privileged perspective, not to mention coming from a place of no consideration for those without ability/access to partake (so much straw talk without ever once mentioning that straws are a necessity for many who are disabled). The animal talking points are straight from PETA and look, I'm an animal lover, but even my passion for animals can ...more
Stephanie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
YES. YES. AND MORE YES!

This book is the PERFECT guide to help any person become a more eco-conscious and animal-friendly human being. Whether you just started recycling or have been an active environmentalist for years, this book shares many great changes you can make in different aspects of your life for a healthier you and a healthier Earth. I am constantly trying to share my knowledge and raise awareness of how important it is to “go green” and Ashlee Piper did an amazing job of presenting
Anna
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I find myself torn on this book. Because, on the one hand, the book is written in an entertaining way and--for the most part--seems factual. On the other hand, it's both endorsed by the president of PETA and PETA is cited at least once in the footnotes.

Both personally and as a librarian, I can't in good conscience give more than two stars to a book that cites from a group that uses misinformation campaigns to attempt to get their point across (can we say 'fake news' here? Is that officially
Jayasree B
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindle-lib
With all the talk about caring for the planet and being eco-friendly, all of us want to contribute to the topic. But in practise, where does one start? What is the game plan?

For a simple and easy beginning, this book is apt. It gets you started on the journey and then you can do more research about being more effective. Excellent start for going that extra mile.

For more book reviews, visit Frost At Midnite.
Julia Kardon
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Especially in the era of the infamous Melania "I Don't Really Care Do U" jacket, I think it's important for people with some morals to start acting like it. This guide is fantastic, helpful, funny, and full of important and useful ideas. It's bound to make you a more conscientious member of the human race and I'm so glad to have so much laid out in one place.
Heather
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has literally changed my life. I've always tried to live as ethically as possible, but "Give a Sh*t" has so much info about ways to reduce waste and be a conscientious consumer that I'd never heard. Examples of topics covered: how beneficial eating vegan is for the environment, why recycling is good but reducing is better (especially when it comes to plastic), the real deal with animal testing (I must admit that I used to think it wasn't a big deal, like they were just trying the eye ...more
Cynthia Saul
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant tips and research provided in this book by Ashlee Piper!
Her handbook provides fantastic ideas for living a better life and going Green!
Loved her modern, witty writing style. Refreshing and easy going.
Great research done in the author's book.
It was a joy to read and reflect upon.
5 Stars in every category-
1.) Research
2.) Helpful tips
3.) Thought provoking
4.) Writing style
5.) Edgy humor
Shari Suarez
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you always wanted to live a more sustainable eco-friendly life but didn't know where to start? Then this is the book for you. Ashlee Piper has written an easy and humorous guide to making changes that help our planet.
It has a non-judgmental tone and the author encourages you to make easy shifts in your life to protect our planet.
Priya
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I am moving with a small list of actions that I would start doing to make my life greener. Thanks to Netgalley for a free copy of this book.
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
Great job Ashlee! This book was a box full of sunshine! Thank you netgalley for the free arc in exchange for an honest review!
Michelle
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book!
Review to come.
Courtney Macfarlane
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
although there was no new ground breaking information for me (though beginners of sustainability will find some great information that is backed by legit sources) i still loved this audiobook, made even better by the author narrating it herself, and it did give me inspiration to be better at giving a shit and helped me form my 2019 goal of recycling smarter.
will be buying the physical copy to have as a resource and to share with friends!
Great book with bit size tips on reducing your environmental impact. Piper is a proponent of doing what you can when you can but offers some accessible ways to start doing more. I'm buying this for sure since I can't keep my library copy forever with all its post-it notes.
Kat
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is so much information out there on what we should be doing to help the environment and improve sustainability. It is often difficult to know whether what we do actually makes a difference. This book will help you get started with great tips and advice on effective actions to help the planet. This sets a good standard for everyday sustainability.
Advanced reading copy provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Julia Fedenkiv
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of good practices on how to live sustainable life. I enjoy that she included different situations : wedding, party, night-out, birthdays etc. I will come back to this book for piece of advice in future.
Michelle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Piper is savvy and sarcastically funny. She delivers great tips, recipes and information in no holds barred language (expletives included). For anyone who's serious about saving the planet by doing what you can do each and every day, this is a good read.
Mona
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any person who wants to give a shit
I am in love with this book. Cant wait for it to be available in bookstores. It is such an amazing guide to sustainable living and is equally informative. P.s thanks to netgalley for providing me an ARC
Holly Mowery
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the humor, authenticity and direct approach to what everyone and anyone can do to help our planet.
Aleixie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you've been following along with my journey, you'll know that I don't hold this book in high esteem. Ashlee Piper says a lot of controversial stuff that I don't particularly agree with. But her book is well documented and uses a lot of statistics, so she's already done a lot of research I can just compound on.

But! Her arguments aren't very logical, and her use of statistics is, well, bad.

She states a personal opinion. Then she gives a lot of statistics about the state of the current world.
Sara Fuller
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Give a Shit has really lit a fire in me to focus better on three of many of our goals: have less stuff, create less waste, live more sustainably. We know about the ever-growing need to take responsibility in the face of jaw-dropping denial over climate change. But to fully live environmentally conscious, more green, can be daunting. Feeling in awe of mega-dedicated recyclers -- from those who don't use plastic and swear off paper towels to those who've committed to buying only secondhand -- can ...more
Raquel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I “read” this book as an audiobook. It was so good that I wanted to have the paper copy for reference that I now keep on my shelf to reference chapters as needed. Ashlee Piper is someone I’d love to be friends with. She writes with passion about practical ways you... yes YOU can give a sh*t about our planet, furry (and non-furry) animal friends, fellow humans, AND yourself! She does so while providing facts, statistics and resources. She justifies that every little but helps and giving a sh*t ...more
Carrie Conlisk
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy. This book is straightforward and concise. The author does a great job at breaking up green living into multiple categories that aren't intimidating or confusing. This book is helpful for giving the reader an idea of what they can do when they want to have an ecofriendly lifestyle but don't know where to start.

This book was also a nice read because it didn't feel pretentious or over researched. There were a few moments where it felt a little "preachy"
Lalaa #ThisBlackGirlReads
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is such a great guide on helping anyone, even me, live a more eco-friendly life. When you think of living eco-friendly, you're probably like me, you don't know where on earth to start, this book clears out all the fog and provides an easy guide for making the changes needed to make our planet a better place. I loved this book and it made me feel more powerful and gave me much needed inspiration about giving a shit!
Joao Reis
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sustainability
This is an introduction book to zero waste lifestyle using a modern give a shit or fuck language. Does not add much more than other books o the same purpose but it's more entertaining.

If you are new and curious to a more sustainable lifestyle then, by all means, jump in!!!
Ann Buchanan
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If everyone read this book, the world will be a better place!

I truly enjoyed reading this book. It talks about serious issues we all can work on while being relatable and hilarious.
Rachel Summers
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my very favorite “going green” book that I’ve read. Ashlee Piper’s writing is sassy and fun, she makes learning (or in my case, refreshing on) ways to be more environmentally friendly enjoyable and easy. 100% would recommend. I think I’ll be giving copies of this book as gifts.
Michael
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Give a Sh*t" by Ashlee Piper is a pithy and practical guide to shifting all aspects of your life to more sustainable and ethical practices. As a sustainability professional myself, I can attest that this book is spot on and chock full of effective and accessible steps anyone can take regardless of their starting point. "Give a Sh*t" is a clear roadmap to being the change you wish to see in the world.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste
  • Zero Waste: Weniger Müll ist das neue Grün
  • Life Without Plastic: The Practical Step-by-Step Guide to Avoiding Plastic to Keep Your Family and the Planet Healthy
  • F**k Plastic: 101 ways to free yourself from plastic and save the world
  • Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste
  • Waste Not
  • A Life Less Throwaway: The Lost Art of Buying for Life
  • The Minimalist Way: Minimalism Strategies to Declutter Your Life and Make Room for Joy
  • Sustainable Home: Practical projects, tips and advice for maintaining a more eco-friendly household
  • Protest Kitchen: Fight Injustice, Save the Planet, and Fuel Your Resistance One Meal at a Time
  • Mercy for Animals: One Man's Quest to Inspire Compassion and Improve the Lives of Farm Animals
  • The Vegan Starter Kit: Everything You Need to Know About Plant-Based Eating
  • Cozy: The Art of Arranging Yourself in the World
  • Everything Below the Waist: Why Health Care Needs a Feminist Revolution
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • The Blueprint of Christ's Church