Start by marking “The Perfect Couple” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Couple

The Perfect Couple

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  42,162 ratings  ·  4,010 reviews
It's Nantucket wedding season, also known as summer-the sight of a bride racing down Main Street is as common as the sun setting at Madaket Beach. The Otis-Winbury wedding promises to be an event to remember: the groom's wealthy parents have spared no expense to host a lavish ceremony at their oceanfront estate.

But it's going to be memorable for all the wrong reasons after
Published June 19th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Couple, please sign up.
Jen Morrison IMO it was kind of sloppy to have the glass just sitting there throughout the book, but not wrapping it up at all with an explanation. Loose ends…moreIMO it was kind of sloppy to have the glass just sitting there throughout the book, but not wrapping it up at all with an explanation. Loose ends irritate me.(less)
Scott Dixon The only ones that are sequential and should be read in order are the Winter Street series
- Winter Street
- Winter Storms
- Winter Solstice(less)

·  42,162 ratings  ·  4,010 reviews

Melissa
I hate to play favorites, but in this case, I don't feel like I have a choice. In my humble opinion, this is Elin Hilderbrand's best work yet. Combining her signature backdrop, riveting cast of characters and penchant for teasing the craveable local fare with the suspense of a murder mystery—you better believe, I soaked up every moment in the Nantucket sun.

This year, Elin Hilderbrand lures readers back to the picturesque Nantucket island with the invitation to a prominent wedding. Until the m
Debra
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ahhhhh Nantucket in the summer is bliss! It is a lovely place to vacation. It also serves as the perfect place for a wedding, the beach and a murder!

The Otis-Winbury is going to be one to remember! The groom's family has arranged for the wedding to be the event of the season. A wedding that people will be talking about for years to come! And it will be remembered but not for the reasons they want it to be. In the early morning hours on the day of the wedding, the maid of honor is found dead. Ch
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
4 stars for this tantalizing, indulgent mystery that was so much more addictive than watching a reality show or soap opera!

The Perfect Couple is set in Nantucket, amidst the no expense spared paradise of sand, sun, beautiful wealthy people, privilege, secrets, lies and of course murder. To say I could not resist this book would be an understatement. I literally had to force myself to put it down and I eagerly picked it up any chance I got.

Benji and Celeste are set to be married until the bri
Skyler Autumn
2 Stars

Slated as this years must have summer beach read I went into this novel not expecting to be intellectually stimulated. Obviously this was going to be light and easy read, but there's nothing wrong with switching off your brain and delving into something easy, breezy (mentally trying to stop myself from saying cover girl but I can't) if at least it's fun. This novel was fun for the first 30% then it got boring, and then it got long and when I finally hit the last chapter it took that tu
Brandice
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t get enough of The Perfect Couple, a quintessential summer read, which I absorbed in the perfect setting at a lakehouse this extended holiday weekend.

Benji and Celeste are scheduled to get married at Benji’s family estate in Nantucket on Saturday but tragedy strikes the morning of the wedding when the maid of honor is found dead on the property. Nantucket Police Chief, Ed, and a handsome detective, Nick, are called to the scene to find out what happened and assess if there was foul pl
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 perfect beach read stars to The Perfect Couple! 🏝 🏝 🏝 🏝

I discovered Elin Hilderbrand a couple years ago, well after she was proclaimed the queen of beach reads. While her books may be “beachy” (i.e., set on Nantucket), they are well-written and full of depth. The Perfect Couple is Hilderbrand’s first foray into murder mystery writing and also incorporates some beloved characters from her past books.

Wedding season is synonymous for “summer people” on Nantucket, and that is when the island is u
Lola
There are no such things as perfect couples… perfect relationships… perfect beings.

I was intimidated by this book. It has over 450 pages and the adult mysteries that I read in the past were all rather slow if no large amount of suspense was included.

But this mystery pulled me in from the very first page. It’s a fast-paced and addictive story. It’s not even that I became attached to the characters or found them particularly original, but the author had a lot to say.

And it felt as though she herse
Elyse Walters
Library overdrive ebook
My first Erin Hildebrand book.
I kept hearing “this was the authors best book ever”.
In that case - I don’t need to read anymore.

Pretty scenery: check
Wealth, secrets, sickness: check
Many characters: check
Shallow, Cliche, & Cartoonish characters: check
Mystery, who-dunnit: check
Suspend belief: check
Weak ending: check

Kinda enjoyable - in the way a kinda ok Chinese restaurant is ... with kinda ok food. Eat-able..... Readable!
However, I prefer to pick another restaurant nex
Holly  B

There were so many things that I enjoyed listening to this one (Audible). The setting was just dreamy-beach side in Nantucket with the sunny atmosphere. The characters were fun and relatable with some side notes of a little bit soap-opera inspired (which works in this story).

I loved that one of the main characters is an acclaimed mystery writer. She finds herself smack in the middle of a real life murder mystery. I kept wondering if her "skills" could possibly help her solve this murder or perh
Amanda
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I didn’t like this book I adored it. Whilst reading this amazing story was all I could think about, every time I HAD to put this book down, I likened it to having to put a film on hold and all the characters were paused, eager for my return so they could continue their story!!

The fairytale wedding between very wealthy Benji and Celeste should be the wedding of the year, no expense spared and all organised by the grooms Mother Greer.

On the morning of the wedding Maid of Honour Merritt is discover
Jamie
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The Queen of the "Beach Read" is holding onto that crown for one more year!!!!!

The Perfect Couple has something I always love from an Elin Hilderbrand book - nods to characters from her old books. My two favorite books of hers are The Castaways and The Blue Bistro and this one has tons of characters from The Castaways!!!! (Note - you do not need to have read that one to enjoy this one!)

A wedding is happening on Nantucket, but on the morning of, the maid of honor is found dead. Told from alterna
Faith
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, overdrive
There were so many things I disliked about this book. I've never read anything else by this author but she doesn't seem to be a mystery writer. The police procedure seemed extremely shaky. The cops spend one entire day "investigating" before giving up. This was women's fiction. Is the author being paid for product placements? There were an awful lot of brand names mentioned. I hated all of the characters, including the victim. The book hops back and forth in time and among points of view. I skim ...more
I've read very little from Elin Hilderbrand, but the ratings have been so high with this 2018 release that I just couldn't resist. I have to agree with the masses. The Perfect Couple was a great read. It is an exploration of families and relationships with a death investigation as the backdrop. Key word: backdrop. In my opinion, if you view this story as only a murder mystery, you may leave severely disappointed. But if you open yourself up to meet a variety of characters with wide ranges of his ...more
Debbie Oliphant
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!!!!

The Perfect Couple begins with a celebration proceeding a wedding the next day. The maid of honor is discovered the next day, dead.

The police is called to investigate whether there was foul play. What they learn is that the privileged in their sleepy town of Nantucket, have secrets. There are many potential suspects and motives and I have to admit, by 98% into the story, I still hadn't figured it out. But by the time I got to the end, I still wanted more.
Marialyce
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
3.5 whodunit stars

Ah to be rich, gorgeous, and have the perfect summer retreat! Can anything be better, the beach, the sand, the sun, the boats, the mansion, the murder...what wait....Welcome to the summer world in Erin Hilderbrand's The Perfect Couple.

Everything is perfect on the island of Nantucket. It is the wedding weekend for Benji and Celeste, soon to be the perfect couple are to be wed. The wedding thrown so lavishly and brilliantly by Benji's parents Tag and Greer Winbury, truly the per
Myrna
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Fantastic story! It captivated me from page 1 followed by SO SO many secrets and SO SO many twists. I didn't know which character to suspect. Her characters were complicated and imperfect (despite their wealth). They were also brought to life and made you care about them (well some of them). Loved this new genre Elin wrote and I'm ready for more! What’s not to love: beautiful Nantucket, wealth, scandal, love, lies, and a dead body. 4.5★s!
Zoe
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, mysterious, and deliciously entertaining!

The Perfect Couple takes us to the beautiful island of Nantucket and into the lives of the rich and famous Winburys as they gather to celebrate a family wedding. But like most families with privilege, power, and money everything is not always as it seems and it quickly becomes apparent that behind the beautiful mansion and designer clothes is an abundance of secrets, deception, betrayal, infidelity, substance abuse, lies, scandals, and murder.
Margitte
The last time a wedding had this kind of effect on me, was with Did You Ever Have A Family by Bill Clegg. ( my review just in case you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

It was just a pleasant gathering of family and friends, and, well, you know the drill, a few shady characters who had to be invited. The wedding promised to be the epitome of class since Greer Garrison Winbury, an established snob with her British bloodline on full display, was at the helm to make this Nuntu
Nadia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprised myself how much I enjoyed this book. I was staying away from Hilderbrand thinking her books were female fiction, full of romance, which is rarely my thing. And so I was very hesitant to pick this up. However, after reading some great reviews from my GR friends I decided to give it a go. And I'm sooo glad I did.

First of all, I want to point out that the Perfect Couple is a murder mystery! Perhaps that contributed to how much I adored it?  The book starts on the morning of Celeste's w
Kat
Whew! This was one twisty, turvy murder mystery/beach read where I swear I did not have the slightest idea whodunit until we got to the last page. Bravo, Elin Hildebrand! The theme here is relationships and secrets, and boy do these relationships have a ton! It was like every soap opera you’ve ever watched on steroids, while on the beach, wrapped up in a not the least bit gory murder mystery (for those like me who are easily grossed out) that is well-paced and keeps the twists and turns coming. ...more
Amy
I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll repeat myself every single summer, but summer doesn’t officially start for me until I’ve read the latest Elin Hilderbrand novel. While I have several authors on my summer must read list every year, hers are the books I look forward to the most, she really is the queen of the beach read and The Perfect Couple is her best book yet!

While Hilderbrand’s books definitely aren’t always sunshine and cocktails, this was a bit of a departure from her previous books. T
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
3.5 stars rounded down

This was my first Elin Hilderbrand... it was good, but I was not amazed. I don't know if it's because I usually read mystery/suspense books, and this was her first attempt at that type of book? It was a good story, but nothing but Merritt's death was resolved in the end. What happened to all the characters? Basically everyone's life was in shambles, and we have no answers or conclusions.

The author's rambling on and on about this clothing designer, this antique, this fancy f
Katie
Okay, where to begin.. I LOVED THIS BOOK. This is one where I had to put it down to stop myself from reading it in one sitting because I wanted it to last. This is also one that I accidentally left out in a storm and ruined it, so I immediately ordered a new one on Amazon because I had to finish it and I had to have copy myself because I know I'm going to be lending this one to friends.

The Perfect Couple follows a bunch of people attending a high-end Nantucket weddings. Everything seems perfect
Mackenzie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Song for summary: When Doves Cry by Prince

A complex read! The characters are deceptive, prestigious, reserved, and wealthy; while the plot is an elaborate whodunnit mystery set in beautiful Nantucket. When a bridesmaid turns up dead at a destination wedding packed full of guests who all have something to hide, loyalties are tested as adultery, family drama, and secrets are brought to light. The Perfect Couple is another riveting novel by Elin Hilderbrand, one which reveals that the more illustri
DeAnn
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 Summery Stars to "The Perfect Couple"

I've been waiting all summer to get my hands on this book and I was able to read right before back-to-school! This book cements for me that I must get to Nantucket soon. I loved the descriptions of the beach house and island and Hilderbrand does such a great job populating her books with interesting characters!

This one has a meatier plot than some of Hilderbrand's other books that I've read. This one still has lots of relationship development, but a dead we
Brandie
NZLisaM
Oh, what a tangled web we weave, or crikey, this wedding party sure had a lot to hide!

Upon reading the book blurb for this one, I knew I just had to pre-order it – a beautiful island wedding where the guests are all staying at the same location, and the maid of honour is found dead – sold! And did it live up to my expectations – yes, yes, yes! I knew going in that it was going to be tamer than my usual crime read, leaning more towards contemporary drama, which it was, but I have to say it was a
☮Karen
Book club read #18. 10/20/2018.

Finished 9/20... No way am I going to remember all these people 4 weeks from now when we meet to discuss. But had to take the book once the library had it available. Big hold list, very popular book. Popular author too but this is her first that I've read. Good for an escape from thrillers and wars. The ending felt unfinished; tied up rather quickly but I liked it overall. 3.5 stars rounded up.
Roxanne
Oh wow, I really loved this book! I have a few more books by this author listed on my TBR, including a signed copy of "Beautiful Day", so I will have to move them up the queue. I loved the setting and the writing style, as well as some of the twists and turns. Great story, definitely recommended to anyone looking for a more involved beach read this summer!
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book of the summer!

Why I loved it: The setting of Nantucket is impeccably described. I could smell the salty sea air, I could taste the lobster rolls and I could hear the wave tides coming in. I loved the cast of characters. They are a motley crew of loveable and hateable characters, people I could picture being friends with and others I wanted to shove. They were introduced quickly but the fact that you get to read various points of views make the story line easy to follow. I could pi
Forsyth County Pu...: August 2019 - The Perfect Couple 1 7 Aug 09, 2019 07:30AM
Book Club Discussion Questions 1 8 Jun 07, 2019 11:05AM

• A Nantucket Wedding
  • The Forever Summer
  • The Secret to Southern Charm (Peachtree Bluff #2)
  • Nantucket
  • The Sunshine Sisters
  • The High Tide Club
  • Beach House for Rent (Beach House #4)
  • Sunshine Beach (Ten Beach Road, #4)
  • Sisters Like Us (Mischief Bay, #4)
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • When We Were Sisters
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The High Season
  • Dreams of Falling
  • Before and Again
  • By Invitation Only
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
“The moment their eyes meet, the moment their hands touch. That certainty. That recognition. You. You are the one. This is what it feels like. Nothing, as it turns out, can take the place of love.” 2 likes
“There is nothing more terrible, she has decided, than the ferocity with which humans can love.” 2 likes