Start by marking “Quench: Beat Fatigue, Drop Weight, and Heal Your Body Through the New Science of Optimum Hydration” as Want to Read:

Based on breakthrough new science in the field of hydration, Quench debunks many popular myths about "getting enough water" and offers a revolutionary five-day jump start plan that shows how better hydration can reduce or eliminate ailments like chronic headaches, weight gain, gut pain, and even autoimmune conditions.

Chronic headaches, brain fog, fatigue, weight gain,
Published June 12th 2018 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Quench, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quench

Start your review of Quench: Beat Fatigue, Drop Weight, and Heal Your Body Through the New Science of Optimum Hydration
Galen Johnson
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't have a problem with the message of this book-- drink more water, get water from plants, move more-- but I do have a problem with the frequent pseudoscience and clickbait-style writing that the authors used to deliver the messages. They acknowledge in the introduction that the science they base their claims on is not confirmed by clinical studies, but spend the rest of the book speaking as if a lot of the science is settled. In one example of misleading science, they state "But what our n ...more
Yodamom
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: healthy-eating
Interesting. 3.5 I believe in the need for more water, and gained some new steps for my health. I drink the water mixture every morning, I add Chia seeds in my smoothies, and take more time for stretches. I'm just not completely sold on some of their scientific truths. Even so I found some useful to me knowledge that will improve my quality of life. ...more
Cindy H.
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for gifting me with this ARC. I offer my unbiased opinions in exchange for the review copy.

Quench is a unique approach for those looking to improve their overall health and rid their bodies of aches,pains and toxins. It’s not meant as a weight loss plan but it certainly promises to help reduce belly gut and other extra fat. The basic premise is water and lots of water combined with certain foods, mostly plant based will eliminate and attack all those unwante
Sheri S.
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quench introduced some interesting ideas about water and how to increase ingestion of it through eating various fruits, vegetables and seeds (i.e. ground chia seeds). The authors discuss the "quench plan" which involves having smoothies that contain ingredients which positively impact the absorption of water. The book cites many recent studies about water's work in the body and how many people are not getting the water they need each day (which can result in fatigue, brain fog and other challeng ...more
Nathan
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's probably no surprise to any reader that most people are dehydrated to varying degrees; this book offers reasons for why that is and remedies to fix it.

The main point that appears to be where this book digs its heels is that water is better absorbed when its in a gelatinous state, as opposed to when you're drinking it straight of a bottle, or from the tap. Via published scientific reports, experiences with various patients, and knowledge about various cultures (that have made the suggested
delancey  | reading_brb
2.5/3
Great little tid-bits of information. Interesting ideas.
Watch my full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxM5_...
Brianna Goldenstein
Fascinating overview of hydration and how to achieve it

I loved this book! The science was sound and it is well referenced. I learned a ton I didn’t know and I’ve been reading in health and wellness for over 10 years now. I especially love how practical it is to apply these tips. You can do as little or as much as you like. It may be difficult if your transitioning from a standard American diet but if you’re already eating fairly well - not too much processed, watching dairy and meat intake, thin
Meg Perin
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Snippets taken from this book:
* water from fruits and veggies are far better for you than water
* water from the tap is better for you than bottled water (cheaper, too)
* great recipe for "gatorade"
* great tips for how to avoid environmental dehydration (ex. air conditioning, poor posture)
* micro-movements throughout the day can help with hydration
* recipes at the end to get started
* the benefits of massage therapy combined with the healing process

Beneficial that it had a section for kids and tee
Stacey
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The list art of hydration - really good information about how to effectively hydrate your body at the cellular level. The most valuable chapter is the 5-day quench program.
Janet
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher-
Chronic headaches...brain fog...fatigue...weight gain...insomnia...gut pain...autoimmune conditions. We may think these and other all-too-common modern maladies are due to gluten intake or too much sugar or too little exercise. But there is another missing piece to the health puzzle: Proper hydration.
Yes, even in this era of Poland Spring many of us are dehydrated due to mo
Chantal
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Quench is an illuminating book about the newest hydration science.

My brother sent me this book filled with tips and formulas for hydrating. (Thanks, Den!) Here are a few things I learned:

1. It’s been discovered that water actually has a fourth state, a gel state that is found in the body’s facia. What?! Yes. It’s more like H32O, than H2O.
2. Fruit is super hydrating and sometimes even more effective than water.
3. Chia seeds are super hydrating.
4. Simply moving the body, even very small movements
Sumi Singh
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you suffer from dehydration, stiff muscles, poor circulation, frequent urinary tract infections, and battle to lose weight? This is the book for you!

What gripped me about this book is that I am one of those persons who eat healthily and try to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but still am not getting it right. I am not alone for the science and research around water seems to also have gotten it wrong.

Water straight from mother earth is rich in minerals and electrolytes for proper hydration. B
Debbie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
"Quench" is about hydration through eating plants and through movement. I've been interested in this concept of a fourth phase of water since watching a YouTube TEDX presentation about it. This book used that same material and other information you can easily find on the internet, though she did include some information about fascia that I hadn't heard before.

The authors talked about how your body uses water and how dehydration may be a cause behind various health conditions. They talked about t
Bea
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book based off of a recommendation from a blogger that I follow. She said this book was about how you need to hydrate yourself, but proper hydration is best absorbed through eating instead of drinking plain water. That alone piqued my interest so I decided to give this book a try.

In the beginning they talk about how a lot of ailments can be solved or lessened just by being hydrated since we are made of 99% of water. Every part of our body, big and small needs water to function, so w
Jess Macallan
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition-health
Adequate hydration is essential for overall health, and most of us are chronically dehydrated. Thankfully the authors of QUENCH teach readers simple steps and recipes to improve hydration, with plenty of explanations and research to clarify why it's necessary. What I liked most about this book is how most readers should find the recipes, micromovements, and hydration recommendations easy and sustainable for the recommended 5-day period.

I'm excited to try a few of the recipes, such as Chilled Hon
Elaine Young
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received Quench in a goodreads giveaway from hatchette books.
I was pleased to get an early copy because I thought I would find the book helpful. The authors of
Quench:Beat Fatigue,Drop Weight, and Heal Your Body Through the New Science of Optimum Hydration are Dr. Dana Cohen, who practices integrative medicine and Gina Bria, who is an anthropologist and speaker who specializes in science and hydration. They believe that proper hydration is important for optimal health and performance,and can
Jennifer ~BookHermitt
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is obviously about hydration. Yes, we all know we need to stay hydrated. This book has a different look at ways to stay hydrated. Like having a green smoothie every day. Getting hydrated by foods is key to proper hydration. One author is a doctor the other is an archaeologist. Strange "bed fellows" you might think but the archaeologist has an interesting take on how people centuries ago stayed hydrated, especially those desert dwellers.

Lots in this book we all know but do not practice
Meg
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, food, health
I enjoyed the anthropological angle of this book, but found the actual plan difficult to employ. (One would have to memorize all of the micromovements, and the Quench Plan, while flexible, relies on a fair amount of meat protein for energy, and to balance low-calorie produce.) Bonus star for a brilliant array of resources at the back of the book. My big takeaway? Whole plants = hydration, even better than glasses of water.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to see if I was dehydrated (I'm not) and it's a book filled with all kinds of tips and tricks to get your water in. (fruits, vegetables, chia seeds) and it would be a great book for someone who doesn't drink water and doesn't get enough water. There was lots and lots of information for various ailments and ways to improve your intake. Mostly, I skimmed the book and read some areas of interest for me. ...more
Susannah
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Very interesting application of an anthropologists training combined with a naturopaths to develop hydration recommendations based on desert based peoples. Makes sense right!? Desert dwellers dont carry water bottles around with them all the time. Turns out they carry chia seeds and we should too. I am using much of what I learned in this book. The only thing is that I think it could have been a lot shorter.
Rhiannon
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I have a background in nursing and perhaps that's why I am interested. I skimmed over alot and focused on the practical applications. I will try to utilize more of the recommended plants and chia to my diet and am hoping to be like one of the 'case studies'. There is alot of other "science" It was bold to quote some of the claims and to be honest I did not fact check the referenced articles and studies in the back of the book. ...more
Anthony
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The message of the book is laudable, but this is more of a diet and lifestyle recommendation book. I was looking for more scientific information. This is book would be good to get you started on your health journey if you are middle aged and at ground zero, never having done anything to improve your health - proper hydration is hugely important. But if you’re already healthy, and have heard the authors on a podcast about this subject, then you won’t learn any more by reading the book.
Terri
3.5 I admit I just kind of skimmed this book and read more closely the parts that drew my attention. It explores different ways to stay hydrated other than just gulping glasses of water and also talks about nutrition in general. There were some interesting and unique ideas and I learned some new things that I will try to incorporate into my days. At the end, there are meal plans and recipes.
Christy ofthewoods
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me, this book was invaluable. I’ve always been told to drink more water but never told why. Now that I understand the importance of hydration, I can implement it easily. This is information that seems so obvious that it’s stupid, but in reality, most people don’t realize how badly they are suffering from not doing such a simple task.
Elizabeth Connors
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I picked up this book for chapter 3, on fascia and hydration. That was worthwhile. Much of the book is too chatty for me. Their ideas on application are very specific. I prefer general recommendations, but this could be helpful to some.
Kate
Aug 17, 2019 added it
I’m abandoning this book (at least for now?) — it seems to have some good ideas and suggestions, but an entire book on hydration feels like it could be more succinct, and there’s only so much time to read in life, and so many books!
Quinnan Stone
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it was an easy read and helped me get my head around some of the ways to use and consume EZ water, having been following the work of Dr Pollack, but not really being able to put any of the ideas into action. I am just starting to incorporate some of the ideas of the plan in to my routine. See if they help, I am certainly training better for a week on ground chai water in the morning.
Gayle
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of good information about hydration that is already available. It also had some very interesting information on fascia. I appreciated the idea of making sure we get electrolytes along with our water.
Lynn K
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valuable information!

We think we're fully hydrating because we drink our 8 glasses of water every day. Think again! Gina Bria and Dr. Dana Cohen provide a simple plan to truly hydrate. Also check out the Hydration Solution Summit which explains the science behind hydration!
Erocchio
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Some excellent points about hydration with emphasize on alternative sources of water using food sources. It got a little repetitive. It suggested a the diet that wasn’t too extreme. However I don’t like books that promote total recovery by using their diet. This book seemed to be doing that.

• Why We Get Sick: The Hidden Epidemic at the Root of Most Chronic Disease—and How to Fight It
  • Moody Bitches: The Truth About the Drugs You're Taking, The Sleep You're Missing, The Sex You're Not Having, and What's Really Making You Crazy
  • The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life
  • The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World That Values Sameness
  • The Only Skill that Matters: The Proven Methodology to Read Faster, Remember More, and Become a SuperLearner
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor
  • The Helpline
  • HeartMath Meditation Assistant: Integrating emWave & Inner Balance Technologies
  • The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market Society and Redefine Democracy