Start by marking “You Were Made for This” as Want to Read:
You Were Made for This

You Were Made for This

A gripping page-turner for fans of THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR, Michelle Sacks's You Were Made For This provocatively explores the darker sides of marriage, motherhood. and friendship. Doting wife, devoted husband, cherished child. Merry, Sam, and Conor are the perfect family in the perfect place. Merry adores the domestic life: baking, gardening, caring for her infant son. Sam, ...more
Published June 19th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about You Were Made for This, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kim DeNero After Sam revealed to Merry that he was seeing Malin and she was a therapist, I went back and reviewed every interaction between the two. Based on the…moreAfter Sam revealed to Merry that he was seeing Malin and she was a therapist, I went back and reviewed every interaction between the two. Based on their dialogue, I think it was strictly a professional relationship. He does notice and comment on her beauty and her body, but nothing physical passes between them.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lel Budge
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of You Were Made for This
Melissa
This utterly addictive and downright disturbing domestic thriller is impossible to set down for any length of time. The author’s unique writing style and the unsettling reality of living life through the eyes of this cast, sparks a page-turning frenzy. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

If you saw us you’d probably hate us. We look like the cast of an insurance commercial: shiny, happy us. The perfect little family, living the perfect little life.

In search of a fresh start and a simpler life, Merry
Kendall
Oh my GAWD... what a crazy ride this was!! I LOVED IT!!!!

Michelle Sacks delivers a stunning debut filled with lies, sex, jealously, greed, and suspense that will leave you on the edge of your seat. BUCKLE UP.. this is a definitely a ride that you want to experience.

There were so many things that I loved about this book. Multiple POV's from our three main characters: Mary, Frank, and Sam.

Let's meet Sam and Mary. They appear to be a loving and happy couple with their new beautiful baby boy. Sam
Berit☀️✨
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4.5 Dark and Disturbing Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

from the blurb... a dark look at marriage, motherhood,And friendship... don’t always agree with the blurb, but this one is spot on! Michelle Sacks did a fabulous job of painting a disturbing picture.... this book will make you look twice at the closest people in your life...

Sam and Mary have moved to Sweden from New York, and appear to be loving a quieter lifestyle... Mary is the picture of domesticity... baking, cooking, gardening, cleaning, and taking care
Dita
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just know if you sign on for this book you will delve into some very dark, depressing shit while alternately being bored by long, dry spells.

You will hate everyone in the book and eventually yourself for hanging in there.
BernLuvsBooks
This dark & disturbing psychological thriller is not for the faint of heart!

I found You Were Made for This to be both enthralling and difficult to read. I don't think I have ever read a book where every character was so psychologically damaged, wretched and despicable. The story is told in 3 alternating point of views and there was no respite - not one of them had any redeeming qualities. Page after page, things went from bad to worse.

The book was like a train wreck that I couldn't pull m
j e w e l s
4.5 STARS

When Sam inherits a cottage in the Sweden countryside, he and his wife, Merry, pack up their hectic lives in NYC and begin a brand new life in an cold, isolated country with their infant baby.

In Sweden, they are the very picture of domestic contentment. Merry gardens and bakes with a fervor that would put Martha Stewart to shame. Sam begins working at his dream career as a film documentarian. Their adorable baby is a fat little cherub, at the family’s center of adoration and devotion.

So
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader by: j e w e l s
4 “life is not always a bowl of cherries” stars to You Were Made for This! 🍒🍒🍒🍒

This was a book I had to read based on reviews from my friends, including Jewels, Kendall, and Michelle. And of course they were right- this one was good!

Merry, Sam, and baby Conor are living in the idyllic countryside of Sweden after a leap of faith move from NYC. This is a shiny, new life for them, and it’s almost too good to be true. Merry is fulfilled taking care of the household, while Sam has started filmmaking
Paromjit
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Michelle Sacks writes an intense claustrophobic and harrowing psychological thriller that treads disturbing and sickening territory with protagonists that have little in the way of redeeming qualities. New York university professor, Sam, is married to set decorator, Merry, with a infant son, Connor. Sam comes into an inheritance, a remote cottage in a rural part of Sweden. They move from their frenetic and busy lives in Manhattan to Sweden, shedding their old lives with Sam aspiring to be a docu ...more
Shirley Revill
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Warning. Please take seriously.
I would like to issue a warning should you chance to read this book. You won't be able to put this book down. Nothing will get done and your family will either starve or live on fast food.
Suggested reading after would be books on how to unclutter, Tips on cleaning and was the cleaning fairy a figment of my imagination.
I have been listening for most of the day and it's too good to put down but please remember you have been warned. 😊
Susanne  Strong
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

Weird, Wild, Intriguing and Full of Suspense!

Merry and Sam live quite the life. The best life, the happiest life. They couldn’t ask for more. They left their pasts behind: everything, bad, horrible and sinful and made their great escape to Sweden. To a new life, filled with light, love and new possibilities. Merry life’s work has become building a home for her family. She wakes every morning, making baby food and homemade jam and bread and she keeps a perfect home, all while her husband
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
3.5 stars.

Nope, I think my idea of a good time is to find characters who are even worse than I am. And these suckers in this book totally fit that bill.

You have happy little family Merry, Sam and baby Conor all living the dream life in Sweden. Merry is that perfect mom who makes all her own baby food and gardens and all the crap. I hated her from the first second. I'm totally judgey like that.
Sam the husband is just wonderful..until you scratch beneath the surface and realize that the whole
—ReadAlongWithSue—
Merry, Sam and their baby, Connor. A perfect little family in the perfect little setting.

Sam who has the perfect little wife, Merry bakes blueberry pies, cooks well, cleans and sees to the garden.

The Mother who loves and adores her baby. Sam who wanted nothing else but to have a homely wife and a child of his own in the most idyllic of settings.

They have it all.

But is Merry all that she appears to be?
Then along comes Frank, she is a long standing friend of Merry's from her past. They used to b
Michelle
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!

It's books like this that make my cold black heart happy. I'm astonished that this is Michelle Sacks debut novel.

If you want to meet a cast of unsavory characters then this is a book for YOU!!!

Sam & Merry are married and madly in love. They recently moved from New York City to live in idyllic Sweden. Here is where they plan to raise their new son Conor.

Merry loves their beautiful cottage. She spends her days with Conor, tending the garden, and cooking up lavish meals. Sam travels a lot
Holly  B
So hard to listen to the icy-cold momma, but also hard to stop listening! The narrator was Fantastic....

Boy, this is one disturbed family unit! The abuse was infuriating and the coldness was palpable.

Sam and Merry and baby Conor.... Appearances are definitely not everything! They pack up and move their seemingly perfect little family of three and move to Sweden to a cottage Sam has inherited. A sense of dread is in the air.

Sam and Merry alternate in narrating this dark tale, with Frank joini
Suzy
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars - rounded up for quick chapters

Easily the worst book I’ve read in 2018 - so far.

I’m definitely in the minority amongst most of my GR friends, but I couldn’t stand this book. I did not like the writing style. It read like someone talking in monotone. The 1/2 star given was for the multiple POV’s (which I am a big fan of) and the quick chapters (also a big fan). Other than that, I couldn’t wait to finish this book. I almost gave up about 3-4 times, but stuck it out. Why you ask? I have
Nazanin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Merry has a perfect life with her perfect family, her husband and the baby. They are happy and enjoying their life. Her husband is proactive and she admired it and in return, she is the exact woman he wants. After so many years not seeing each other, Frank, Merry’s childhood friend decided to see her and her life. They’ve grown up with each other and more like sisters. When Frank came to their life, she feels at home, she is so intimate with the husband and like a second mother to the bab
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I really only have one reaction to share with you all regarding this book . . . .

I have never read something that made me so uncomfortable. If you know me, you know that’s saying a lot. You should also know that means I might maybe want to marry or at least be best friends with Michelle Sacks now. I just can't NOT love an author who is so willing to commit to going balls out into crazyville like she has done here.

Allow me to intro
Lou
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although this is apparently a debut, I could've sworn i've heard the name Michelle Sacks in reading circles before this. Maybe it's just me, must be. One of the aspects that drew me to the book was the setting - the Swedish countryside, somewhere I would love to visit, sets the scene for this dark and disturbing read.

Merry and her husband and young baby, are creating their dream life in Sweden, far from the events that clouded their lives whilst living in New York. Then Merry's childhood friend,
Ken
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What appears from the outset as a perfect happy family starting a new life together, soon unravels as a friend from the past is about to shatter that illusion.

As Merry and Sam alongside baby Conor having started a new life in Sweden together, they soon have to confront their past as Merry’s closet friend Frank visits from America.

Along with secrets surfacing from the past, the reader is soon alerted that the status quo is about to change in this chilling thriller.
The book tackles a dark issue th
Jan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I feel the need to warn that this book contains scenes of child abuse. It's not easy to read, but if you can get past it, there is a solid domestic thriller here.

This book shocked me with it's directness and unsympathetic way of highlighting the darkness that resides in people. The characters are shallow, selfish, jealous, manipulative and down right horrid, but the face they put on for show every day hides it all from the world. They smile, hug, and put up appearances that mimic loving and car
Helga
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
This book was so disturbing on so many levels and the characters so hateful and nauseating, that I couldn’t bring myself to write a review immediately after finishing it. In fact, I don’t know how I kept on reading till the end.
Don’t get me wrong, the book was very-well written and in my opinion a book which stirs you emotionally, makes your heart pound faster, loosens some unwelcome butterflies in your stomach and doesn’t leave you in peace after The End, is a book worth reading, albeit being d
Shannon
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Little Brown and Company for sending me You Were Made for This by Michelle Sacks. Wow, that was something wild! Pretty disturbing if you ask me which of course I am fan of. As for my review, I won’t be saying too much to avoid spoilers *BUT* I will say there is a possible trigger within the story.

Your Were Made for This is told in three different POVS. We hear from Merry, Sam and Frank.

Merry and Sam have recently moved to Sweden from NYC. They are happily married and have a baby boy.
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review here

First of all I must confess this: I read this book in one sitting. The writing is really good. The story captured my attention from the first page, I found myself dazzled switching between the viewpoints of Sam and Merry, a couple with a young baby, recently relocated to an area outside Stockholm. They left bustling city of New York and in this new settlement, the nearest public transport is 50 minutes walk away, they are in the wild, there isn"t even neighbours next door. Big c
Jamie Rosenblit
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jamie Rosenblit by: Shannon
Shelves: arcs
Another heart-pounding psychological thriller told in multiple point-of-views (my favorite!). You Were Made for This starts out with a couple and their young baby who have recently moved to Sweden from Manhattan and mentions an old friend of the wife Merry's, a girl named Frank. We soon learn Frank will be coming to visit and the friendship might not be as rosy as it seems.

At the risk of spoiling the fun, I'm not going to offer more plot points, but I will say that there is a reason this is a p
Jayme
4.5 CHILLING stars!

Merry and Sam appear to be the perfect family, building a perfect life in Sweden. A new baby, and a fresh start.

But appearances can be deceiving.

Unless it is your oldest and dearest friend who comes to visit. Frank (Frances) isn’t buying into the facade being presented. She doesn’t believe that Merry is really enjoying pureeing baby food, and baking from scratch.

She doesn’t believe that Merry is the adoring mother she claims to be. (Warning: sensitive readers..she may not
Amanda
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sam and Merry move to Sweden to start a new life. From the outside they look like they are living the perfect dream with Merry growing their own vegetables, baking, cleaning and bringing up their baby Connor. They describe every day as a “perfect day.”

Each chapter is from a different persons perception (Sam, Merry and Frank) we are given clues along the way that maybe Sam and Merry are both keeping secrets and are not as wholesome as they first appeared.

Kerry’s best friend Frank comes to stay wi
Jess☺️
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Path by Michelle Sacks is a dark twisted book of the so say perfect family life (yeah right you can feel the secrets beginning to leak already 🙄).
It's a book that can be finished in a day and you spend half that time truly disliking the characters they are just horrible people the only one I cared for was baby Connor.
It's extremely unsettling, heartbreaking and disturbingly toxic.
The pages just keep flipping whilst the story keeps getting more twisted.
I definitely recommend this book if
Liz Barnsley
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Were Made For This is a beautifully written, utterly riveting and genuinely disturbing novel that ate up my morning.

Merry and Sam live an idyllic life in Sweden – but even the brightest lives hide the darkest secrets. When Merry’s best friend Frank comes to stay she sets off a series of events that lead to tragedy…

You Were Made For This is extremely absorbing – the author paints a picture with words, the sense of place is palpable and the characters pop from the page. They are horrible horri
Obsidian
Apr 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not impact my rating or review.

Huge sigh. This book was a mess. At first I was momentarily intrigued because the book seemed to be setting up things with the husband in this story (Sam) to be sinister. All of his rules for mothers/wives seemed to be playing that way. But then you get further into the book, and when Merry's "best friend" Frank comes to visit, the book just goes freaking dark. I just needed something to break up this me
Crime by the Book
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Find my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2018/4...

This is the kind of book that’s bound to spark some very divided opinions. YOU WERE MADE FOR THIS features a cast of totally unlikeable characters - reading this book felt, to me, a bit like watching a train wreck that you just can’t look away from. I ended up enjoying this one a lot, but it won’t be for everyone, that’s for sure!!

• Her Pretty Face
  • Två hjärtans karameller
  • With You Always
  • I Know Who You Are
  • She Was the Quiet One
Michelle Sacks is the author of the story collection, Stone Baby, and the novels, You Were Made for This and All The Lost Things.

She was born in South Africa, and holds a master’s degree in literature and film from the University of Cape Town. Her fiction has been shortlisted twice for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize and for two South African PEN Literary Awards.

She lives in Berlin.