Start by marking “The Perfect Couple” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Couple

The Perfect Couple

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  27,890 ratings  ·  2,890 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Elin Hilderbrand, comes a novel about the many ways family can fill our lives with love...if they don't kill us first.

*New York Times bestseller*

It's Nantucket wedding season, also known as summer-the sight of a bride racing down Main Street is as common as the sun setting at Madaket Beach. The Otis-Winbury wedding promises to be an
Published June 19th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Couple, please sign up.
Luelle Robinson I think the author purposely did not tell us the answer to that -- and to a couple of other things "we" were unsure about. Although we would like to…moreI think the author purposely did not tell us the answer to that -- and to a couple of other things "we" were unsure about. Although we would like to have everything neatly tied up -- I think it leaves us to continue thinking about the book long after we finish it. I told my husband that I had just finished a good book -- and he wanted to hear about it. There were so many different characters with such different lives that it was hard to put it into a few bullet points. Certainly the author left me hungry for more -- now I want to read all her other books and see if they are as good.
(less)
Scott Dixon The only ones that are sequential and should be read in order are the Winter Street series
- Winter Street
- Winter Stroll
- Winter Storms
- Winter…more
- Winter Street
- Winter Stroll
- Winter Storms
- Winter Solstice(less)
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackEducated by Tara WestoverThe Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Best books of 2018
1,186 books — 1,889 voters
The High Tide Club by Mary Kay AndrewsBy Invitation Only by Dorothea Benton FrankA Nantucket Wedding by Nancy ThayerBest Beach Ever by Wendy  WaxBeach House Reunion by Mary Alice Monroe
Beach Reads 2018
36 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
I hate to play favorites, but in this case, I don't feel like I have a choice. In my humble opinion, this is Elin Hilderbrand's best work yet. Combining her signature backdrop, riveting cast of characters and penchant for teasing the craveable local fare with the suspense of a murder mystery—you better believe, I soaked up every moment in the Nantucket sun.

This year, Elin Hilderbrand lures readers back to the picturesque Nantucket island with the invitation to a prominent wedding. Until the m
Debra
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ahhhhh Nantucket in the summer is bliss! It is a lovely place to vacation. It also serves as the perfect place for a wedding, the beach and a murder!

The Otis-Winbury is going to be one to remember! The groom's family has arranged for the wedding to be the event of the season. A wedding that people will be talking about for years to come! And it will be remembered but not for the reasons they want it to be. In the early morning hours on the day of the wedding, the maid of honor is found dead. Ch
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads, 2018
4 stars for this tantalizing, indulgent mystery that was so much more addictive than watching a reality show or soap opera!

The Perfect Couple is set in Nantucket, amidst the no expense spared paradise of sand, sun, beautiful wealthy people, privilege, secrets, lies and of course murder. To say I could not resist this book would be an understatement. I literally had to force myself to put it down and I eagerly picked it up any chance I got.

Benji and Celeste are set to be married until the bri
Skyler Autumn
2 Stars

Slated as this years must have summer beach read I went into this novel not expecting to be intellectually stimulated. Obviously this was going to be light and easy read, but there's nothing wrong with switching off your brain and delving into something easy, breezy (mentally trying to stop myself from saying cover girl but I can't) if at least it's fun. This novel was fun for the first 30% then it got boring, and then it got long and when I finally hit the last chapter it took that tu
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 perfect beach read stars to The Perfect Couple! 🏝 🏝 🏝 🏝

I discovered Elin Hilderbrand a couple years ago, well after she was proclaimed the queen of beach reads. While her books may be “beachy” (i.e., set on Nantucket), they are well-written and full of depth. The Perfect Couple is Hilderbrand’s first foray into murder mystery writing and also incorporates some beloved characters from her past books.

Wedding season is synonymous for “summer people” on Nantucket, and that is when the island is u
Lola
There are no such things as perfect couples… perfect relationships… perfect beings.

I was intimidated by this book. It has over 450 pages and the adult mysteries that I read in the past were all rather slow if no large amount of suspense was included.

But this mystery pulled me in from the very first page. It’s a fast-paced and addictive story. It’s not even that I became attached to the characters or found them particularly original, but the author had a lot to say.

And it felt as though she herse
Elyse Walters
Library overdrive ebook
My first Erin Hildebrand book.
I kept hearing “this was the authors best book ever”.
In that case - I don’t need to read anymore.

Pretty scenery: check
Wealth, secrets, sickness: check
Many characters: check
Shallow, Cliche, & Cartoonish characters: check
Mystery, who-dunnit: check
Suspend belief: check
Weak ending: check

Kinda enjoyable - in the way a kinda ok Chinese restaurant is ... with kinda ok food. Eat-able..... Readable!
However, I prefer to pick another restaurant nex
Holly  B

There were so many things that I enjoyed listening to this one (Audible). The setting was just dreamy-beach side in Nantucket with the sunny atmosphere. The characters were fun and relatable with some side notes of a little bit soap-opera inspired (which works in this story).

I loved that one of the main characters is an acclaimed mystery writer. She finds herself smack in the middle of a real life murder mystery. I kept wondering if her "skills" could possibly help her solve this murder or perh
Amanda
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I didn’t like this book I adored it. Whilst reading this amazing story was all I could think about, every time I HAD to put this book down, I likened it to having to put a film on hold and all the characters were paused, eager for my return so they could continue their story!!

The fairytale wedding between very wealthy Benji and Celeste should be the wedding of the year, no expense spared and all organised by the grooms Mother Greer.

On the morning of the wedding Maid of Honour Merritt is discover
Jamie
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
The Queen of the "Beach Read" is holding onto that crown for one more year!!!!!

The Perfect Couple has something I always love from an Elin Hilderbrand book - nods to characters from her old books. My two favorite books of hers are The Castaways and The Blue Bistro and this one has tons of characters from The Castaways!!!! (Note - you do not need to have read that one to enjoy this one!)

A wedding is happening on Nantucket, but on the morning of, the maid of honor is found dead. Told from alterna
I've read very little from Elin Hilderbrand, but the ratings have been so high with this 2018 release that I just couldn't resist. I have to agree with the masses. The Perfect Couple was a great read. It is an exploration of families and relationships with a death investigation as the backdrop. Key word: backdrop. In my opinion, if you view this story as only a murder mystery, you may leave severely disappointed. But if you open yourself up to meet a variety of characters with wide ranges of his ...more
Marialyce
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
3.5 whodunit stars

Ah to be rich, gorgeous, and have the perfect summer retreat! Can anything be better, the beach, the sand, the sun, the boats, the mansion, the murder...what wait....Welcome to the summer world in Erin Hilderbrand's The Perfect Couple.

Everything is perfect on the island of Nantucket. It is the wedding weekend for Benji and Celeste, soon to be the perfect couple are to be wed. The wedding thrown so lavishly and brilliantly by Benji's parents Tag and Greer Winbury, truly the per
Debbie Oliphant
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!!!!

The Perfect Couple begins with a celebration proceeding a wedding the next day. The maid of honor is discovered the next day, dead.

The police is called to investigate whether there was foul play. What they learn is that the privileged in their sleepy town of Nantucket, have secrets. There are many potential suspects and motives and I have to admit, by 98% into the story, I still hadn't figured it out. But by the time I got to the end, I still wanted more.
Myrna
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Fantastic story! It captivated me from page 1 followed by SO SO many secrets and SO SO many twists. I didn't know which character to suspect. Her characters were complicated and imperfect (despite their wealth). They were also brought to life and made you care about them (well some of them). Loved this new genre Elin wrote and I'm ready for more! What’s not to love: beautiful Nantucket, wealth, scandal, love, lies, and a dead body. 4.5★s!
Zoe
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, mysterious, and deliciously entertaining!

The Perfect Couple takes us to the beautiful island of Nantucket and into the lives of the rich and famous Winburys as they gather to celebrate a family wedding. But like most families with privilege, power, and money everything is not always as it seems and it quickly becomes apparent that behind the beautiful mansion and designer clothes is an abundance of secrets, deception, betrayal, infidelity, substance abuse, lies, scandals, and murder.
Faith
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, overdrive
There were so many things I disliked about this book. I've never read anything else by this author but she doesn't seem to be a mystery writer. The police procedure seemed extremely shaky. The cops spend one entire day "investigating" before giving up. This was women's fiction. Is the author being paid for product placements? There were an awful lot of brand names mentioned. I hated all of the characters, including the victim. The book hops back and forth in time and among points of view. I skim ...more
Kat
Whew! This was one twisty, turvy murder mystery/beach read where I swear I did not have the slightest idea whodunit until we got to the last page. Bravo, Elin Hildebrand! The theme here is relationships and secrets, and boy do these relationships have a ton! It was like every soap opera you’ve ever watched on steroids, while on the beach, wrapped up in a not the least bit gory murder mystery (for those like me who are easily grossed out) that is well-paced and keeps the twists and turns coming. ...more
Amy
I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll repeat myself every single summer, but summer doesn’t officially start for me until I’ve read the latest Elin Hilderbrand novel. While I have several authors on my summer must read list every year, hers are the books I look forward to the most, she really is the queen of the beach read and The Perfect Couple is her best book yet!

While Hilderbrand’s books definitely aren’t always sunshine and cocktails, this was a bit of a departure from her previous books. T
Margitte
The last time a wedding had this kind of effect on me, was with Did You Ever Have A Family by Bill Clegg. ( my review just in case you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

It was just a pleasant gathering of family and friends, and, well, you know the drill, a few shady characters who had to be invited. The wedding promised to be the epitome of class since Greer Garrison Winbury, an established snob with her British bloodline on full display, was at the helm to make this Nuntu
Nadia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018
I surprised myself how much I enjoyed this book. I was staying away from Hilderbrand thinking her books were female fiction, full of romance, which is rarely my thing. And so I was very hesitant to pick this up. However, after reading some great reviews from my GR friends I decided to give it a go. And I'm sooo glad I did.

First of all, I want to point out that the Perfect Couple is a murder mystery! Perhaps that contributed to how much I adored it?  The book starts on the morning of Celeste's w
DeAnn
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4 Summery Stars to "The Perfect Couple"

I've been waiting all summer to get my hands on this book and I was able to read right before back-to-school! This book cements for me that I must get to Nantucket soon. I loved the descriptions of the beach house and island and Hilderbrand does such a great job populating her books with interesting characters!

This one has a meatier plot than some of Hilderbrand's other books that I've read. This one still has lots of relationship development, but a dead we
Sheyla ✎
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Perfect Couple had so many components that I enjoyed. I loved that there was a mystery surrounding the death of the maid of honor. The Who Done It, kept me on my toes. There were so many possibilities although I excluded a bunch of suspects from the first couple of chapters. I had a pretty good idea of who was at fault but in the end, I still enjoyed the delivery.

So let me tell you what the book is about:

Celeste Otis is marrying Benji Winbury. This is going to be the wedding of the year.
Brandie
☮Karen
Book club read #18. 10/20/2018.

Finished 9/20... No way am I going to remember all these people 4 weeks from now when we meet to discuss. But had to take the book once the library had it available. Big hold list, very popular book. Popular author too but this is her first that I've read. Good for an escape from thrillers and wars. The ending felt unfinished; tied up rather quickly but I liked it overall. 3.5 stars rounded up.
Roxanne
Oh wow, I really loved this book! I have a few more books by this author listed on my TBR, including a signed copy of "Beautiful Day", so I will have to move them up the queue. I loved the setting and the writing style, as well as some of the twists and turns. Great story, definitely recommended to anyone looking for a more involved beach read this summer!
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book of the summer!

Why I loved it: The setting of Nantucket is impeccably described. I could smell the salty sea air, I could taste the lobster rolls and I could hear the wave tides coming in. I loved the cast of characters. They are a motley crew of loveable and hateable characters, people I could picture being friends with and others I wanted to shove. They were introduced quickly but the fact that you get to read various points of views make the story line easy to follow. I could pi
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elin Hilderbrand has been at the top of her game. She has published 22 novels and I have read several thus far, they are all finely executed. Her characters are intriguing and they evolve throughout the story, they are dynamic (which some authors don't quite achieve). Her plot line was told with alternate times and each period is smoothly transitioned and the reader is clear on this dynamic.

I loved how she slowly reveals the possible candidates for being the murderer. Their motives elucidated as
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Trina
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Perfect Couple was engagingly, delicious from the very beginning. Elin Hilderbrand grabs your attention and doesn’t let go. This was my first Elin Hilderbrand read but will not be my last.

This book was bursting with mysterious twists and turns together with engaging and interesting characters. This read boasts many well-developed characters and the author does a good job of giving you just enough development of the characters as to not overwhelm. I was delighted by the storyline as well as
Jen
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to books that allow you to escape, Elin Hilderbrand cannot be beat. She paints a vivid picture of Nantucket...everything from the scenery, to the sounds of the waves, and even the food. She engages all of the readers senses and allows us to feel like we are on Nantucket, if even for a short while. I always enjoy reading her newest when it comes out and I loved this beachy mystery read!
🏖🏖🏖
It’s wedding season on Nantucket. The island is already overrun with summer people, making the
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
“There is nothing more terrible, she has decided, than the ferocity with which humans can love.” 1 likes
“The moment their eyes meet, the moment their hands touch. That certainty. That recognition. You. You are the one. This is what it feels like. Nothing, as it turns out, can take the place of love.” 0 likes