Start by marking “Flor and Miranda Steal the Show” as Want to Read:
Flor and Miranda Steal the Show

Flor and Miranda Steal the Show

Enjoy carnival rides and deep fried pickles in this warm, funny middle grade novel about family and friendship.
Miranda is the lead singer in her family's musical band, Miranda y Los Reyes. Her family has worked hard performing at festivals and quinceañeras. Now, they have a shot at the main stage. How will Miranda make it a performance to remember?
Flor's family runs the
Published June 12th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Flor and Miranda Steal the Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flor and Miranda Steal the Show

Start your review of Flor and Miranda Steal the Show
Rendz
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I am reviewing an ARC provided by the publisher which does not affect my opinion.*

This book was everything I expected it to be and a little bit more. I absolutely adore carnivals, and although I haven’t been to one in a while, reading this book made me want to go to one this summer! Just like a carnival, this book was fun, light, and easy. It was full of great people and greasy food! Plus I have never related to the family so hard!

What I Liked:
Characters:

They were all so saucy!!! I loved it!!
Andrea Doyon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I loved this book. The interesting setting is what drove me to read it initially, and it was an integral part of the tale. Two eleven year old girls' families live and work with a traveling carnival. With carnival funds short, Miranda's singing family might just bump Flor's family's petting zoo right off the carnival circuit. Will Flor be able to trick Miranda into missing her key performance and save the animals? This book is perfect for that 7-10 age group with its themes of friendship and ...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Flor's family runs the petting zoo at the traveling carnival; Miranda is the lead singer in the new family band. These girls should be friends, but worry about their families' futures puts them at odds instead.
Abby Johnson
So super cute - another contemporary novel with diverse characters that reminds me of a Disney Channel movie in the best way. Hand this to tweens who enjoy friendship stories and unusual settings.
Alison
Engaging, satisfying middle grade fiction with interesting contrasts between parenting styles and family situations. (Plus, what kid doesn't secretly harbor a wish to live with a traveling carnival?) Every bit as enjoyable as Stef Soto, Taco Queen!
Ms. Yingling
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Public library copy

Flor's family runs a struggling petting zoo that travels to different carnivals around California. Her father isn't a great businessman, giving away bags of feed instead of charging $1 for them, and her mother has had to return home to take a job. Still, Flor loves the carnival circuit, so when she hears the father of a band that has been playing try to talk the owner, Mr. Barsetti, into giving the band more money and exposure and perhaps discontinuing the petting zoo, she
Sam
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Huge thank you to Hachette Book Group Canada for this ARC!

Flor and Miranda Steal the Show was a book I didn't even have on my radar. Going to HGBC ARC list, I read the synopsis and decided to give it a whirl because it felt like something children at my library branch would enjoy. For such a such book, it took me awhile to read -- not because it was bad, but because it was rich in entertainment and meaningful discussion.

Miranda is the lead singer in her family's ranchera band, while Flor is a
Amy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Little, Brown, and Company for the advance copy.

This was a really nice story about friendship, family, and finding yourself. The characters' emotions were very relatable, and I really liked the unique setting of the carnival/state fair. It offered a new and fresh background to the common themes of contemporary/realistic fiction for middle grade. In addition, there were diverse characters leading their normal lives that many could relate to, without overtly calling attention to the
Kim Barbeau
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I would have liked it better if it had had a better ending.
MayorEmma
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a great story set at a carnival, and I liked how it flowed well in such a short amount of time.
Janaa
Aug 27, 2019 added it
it was nice. flor and miranda were nice characters i rate it a four
Davianna
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This was such a sweet and heartwarming read! The carnival setting was fantastic and unique, the plot was great, and I loved Flor's petting zoo. I loved Miranda from the beginning, she was a little awkward and shy and she was trying to learn more Spanish. (I can relate)
While it took me a second to really like Flor because of her dislike of Miranda and her sabotage plan, I could understand why she did it and why she felt the way she did. Both girls learn lessons and become good friends and I
Sharon Lawler
May 27, 2019
Lori
Sep 24, 2018
Cinlu Chang
Aug 03, 2018
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2018.
Andrew

• Blended
  • Other Words for Home
  • This Promise of Change: One Girl’s Story in the Fight for School Equality
  • The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • Caitlin in Charge (American Girl: Like Sisters #4)
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle