Start by marking “The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle” as Want to Read:
The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  51,246 ratings  ·  10,179 reviews
THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER.

"Gosford Park" meets "Groundhog Day" by way of Agatha Christie – the most inventive story you'll read this year.

Tonight, Evelyn Hardcastle will be killed... again.

It is meant to be a celebration but it ends in tragedy. As fireworks explode overhead, Evelyn Hardcastle, the young and beautiful daughter of the house, is killed.

But Evelyn will not d
Hardcover, US, 432 pages
Published September 18th 2018 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published February 8th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, please sign up.
Stuart Turton Hi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to…moreHi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to change the title there, hence 7 1/2. Don't worry, you're getting exactly the same amount of murder for your money, though. (less)

·  51,246 ratings  ·  10,179 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Has anyone ever finished a book and was tempted to pull a Luke Skywalker and just disappear to an island in the middle of nowhere and dramatically stare at the ocean for an unascertained amount of time? Because I felt that.

I didn't expect to tear through this book, but I did—there was just so much restlessness in my reading, an urgency to reach the ending. It’s been days and I am still so keenly, strangely, extensively aware of explosions still taking place inside my head. Honestly? If Hollywood
Miranda Reads
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Read this one for TCE book club!
If this isn’t hell, the devil is surely taking notes.
Lord and Lady Hardcastle are throwing a "party" at Blackheath, their crumbling British mansion.

This so-called-party takes place on the anniversary of their son's murder (19 years ago), includes the exact same guests as it did so many years ago.

And, during the night, trusts will be violated, truths will be exposed and above all, their daughter, Evelyn Hardcastle will be murdered.

Aidan Bishop, along with two ot
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) If you’re looking for a book to keep you awake at night because you NEED to finish it then this is it!

Somebody’s going to be murdered at the ball tonight. It won’t appear to be a murder so the murderer won’t be caught. Rectify that injustice and I’ll show you the way out.

I loved how unique the premise was, a murder-mystery where the main character gets to relive the same day 8 times to try and solve it but every day he's in a different body.
It was also interesting to see how the different
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Reading The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle left me MIND BLOWN!🤯 What an intricately layered and amazing plot. If you haven't read this one yet, please jump into this book blindly and savor every moment. At times you will feel like you are flailing in the water, drowning in confusion. Just keep reading, treading through the chapters as you go. Grab hold of the bits that are sent your way and store them. It will all make sense in the end!

I thought I was prepared for Turton. I read carefully, gi
Berit☀️✨

3.5 maybe it is just me? But never the less confusing stars🌟🌟🌟

The concept of this book was really quite brilliant... A little reminiscent of both Life After Life and Ground Hog Day.... with the added little twist of the body swapping....

Admittedly it is holiday time and I was not as focused on this book as I needed to be.... so as far as me being confused throughout the majority of this book, it could very likely just be a me problem.... I kept needing to go back and reread parts because I reall
megs_bookrack
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Too little information and you're blind,
too much and you're blinded.

This line perfectly captures the spirit of the MIND F**K ((ahem...literary puzzle)) that is The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

This book is bloody FANTASTIC!

Never have I been so excited about being so confused whilst reading a book!

Turton is a Master. This was completely original and completely out there and completely compelling. I was so absorbed in every moment and....well, CONFUSED.

There is really not much I can say ab
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a thriller following an investigation into the murder of a girl who is murdered every singe night. The main character switches bodies every day in an attempt to get different points of view. And yes, it is wild.

So the thing I’ve seen praised about this book is that the plot is ridiculously complex, and it very much is. I am in awe over the tight plotting used in this book. This must have taken a very long outline and the complexity certainly makes this st
jessica
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow. this book is wild! i swear, i spent the majority of the story whispering ‘what the heck is going on???’ to myself over and over. i still dont even think i know what i just read, i just know i really enjoyed it.

this is a ‘whodunnit’ unlike anything i have read before. mainly because of how ambitious it is. there are so many characters, each with their own role and secrets, which creates multiple plot layers and forces different outcomes for various events, all while a murder is trying to be
Paromjit
Stuart Turton has written an extraordinarily original, atmospheric, intelligent and fiendishly complex novel that I really loved! At one level it masquerades as an Agatha Christie style golden age classic crime, and indeed many of the tropes present in that genre are here such as the diverse range of characters at a country house party. It is no exaggeration to say it is so much more, including the presence of time leaps, and absolutely nothing is as it seems. Prior to the murder of Evelyn Hardc ...more
karen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that i bought in hardcover and put off reading long enough that it is now in paperback.

"Funny how things repeat, isn’t it?"

i have read a lot of books, but i have never read anything like this.

that’s one of those glib clichés; the book-blurb equivalent of picking a tattoo from the wall, but in this case, it’s the absolute truth. it’s a baller of a debut—an intricately plotted and wholly satisfying mix of sci-fi and mystery; their dif
Navidad Thélamour
4.5 stars!

Whew, what a ride! Stuart Turton’s debut novel is the kind of debut we all yearn for: explosive, energetic, engaging and truly something fresh and new on the scene. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a brilliant, high-concept murder mystery that had the cogs in my mind turning from the very start (imagine waking up in the forest with no memory of who you are and immediately seeing a young woman murdered!). This, in fact, was the first mystery narrative in a very long time that ha
Amalia Gavea
‘’I’m a man in Purgatory, blind to the sins that chased me here.’’

What would it be like if one day we found ourselves in an another body? What if this happened on a daily basis? Us changing the vessel but retaining most of the traits that make us who we are? What if by changing identities we could turn back the time and prevent an injustice, a horrible crime? This is the wonderful premise of this exquisite novel by Stuart Turton, one of the most unique books of the year.

A man has the opportunit
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 stars 🌟

I have no idea how I actually feel about this one!

This was probably one of the most confusing and complex novels that I have ever read. I actually quite enjoyed the premise of this story as it definitely was quite clever and really made me think but in the end I was a little disappointed with the “what just happened?” ending which left me feeling a little unsatisfied. I felt a little bit cheated as I was so hoping the ending would have been just as complex and clever as the rest of t
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
All the stars! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Debut author Stuart Turton’s The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, originally published earlier this year in Great Britain as The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, is an intricately plotted murder mystery, set in an isolated early 20th century English mansion, with a highly imaginative speculative element that is only gradually revealed, as our main character tries to figure out who he really is, and how to solve the mystery of Evelyn Hardcastle
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker! First chapter and I’m in crazy town!

Well. That went downhill fast! I’m totally in the minority here! I usually love this kind of strange book. But I had to slog through this book. Seriously, I need to start dnfing because time is precious!

Sigh!! I’m happy for almost ALL of my friends that loved this!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader

The early reviews I read of this book were mixed, but the last two months, I’ve watched so many high ratings come in, I succumbed to temptation and requested. This was one of the most challenging reviews I’ve had to write to ensure I didn’t give a speck of the fun away.

This book. Wow. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a book you have to give a chance, and if you do, the pay-off is immense if mysteries are your cuppa.

I’m offering a basic synopsis because it is best to go into th
Holly  B
Get ready for the most unusual, overwhelmingly impressive journey through this puzzle land of  "Murder at the Masquerade Ball".

You won't need a ticket to get in, just get a copy of the book (the hard copy so you can enjoy the map of Blackheath, a cozy and quiet place to read (you won't want any distractions), time to ponder all the twists that are going to keep your brain busy!!

I loved it, but needed to pace myself and take my time to enjoy all the twisty turns that the narrator, Aiden Bishop
Mikayla (MikaylaReading)
DNF at 20%. E-arc provides by netgalley. (Thank god I didn’t spend money on this sh-t)

Let me count the ways this is a sad, fatphobic excuse for a book.
1. “I awake wheezing, crushed beneath the tremendous monument of my new host’s stomach.”
2. “No doubt sensing my indecision, he abandons his vigil, slipping his hands under my armpits and tugging me into a sitting position. I pay for his assistance in shame.”
3. “The platter beneath is piled high with eggs and bacon, a side helping of pork chops,
Petrik
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/thriller fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
3.5/5 stars

The less you know about this mystery thriller book, the better your experience will be.

First of all, take that rating rounding up or down with a grain of salt, this is a 3.5 stars book for me. As for the review, I honestly have no idea how to review this book, not only mystery/thriller is not my usual read or books that I review, I genuinely think that anything I say can be considered a spoiler for a book like this. I’ll keep this review brief, try to go into this one as blind as poss
Jenny
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m at a loss for words as where to begin with my review. I don’t know that I will be able to convey into words my love of Stuart Turton’s book, “The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.” A work of genius and for anyone who loves mysteries or the true old-fashioned “who dunnit”, this is your book. This is not a modern day mystery/thriller but an honest to goodness murder mystery with a multilayered plot.
This work of art requires your complete focus and attention otherwise you might miss one of th
Kylie D
I really don't know how to write a review for this book. Not because I didn't like it, it was fantastic, but because the plot is so intricate and woven I don't want to give anything away. So let's just say it's the story of Aiden, who wakes with no memory at all, just the word 'Anna' on his lips. He finds he's in the middle of a forest, and then manages to stumble across a murder taking place. Aiden is then destined to relive the same day over and over again, until he can solve the murder of Eve ...more
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves thrillers any mystery.
5 deserving stars!!! The best book!! (04/04/19 Update: I cannot believe this will be adapted!)

Read for January Buddy Read in Buddy Reads.

How lost do you have to be to let the devil lead you home?
This lost, I decide. Precisely this lost.

When Bell Sabastian finds himself walking in a forest, lost and stripped of his memories; the only word on his lips a name: Anna, he finds himself utterly terrified. The distant cries of a girl being chased by a murderer and then hearing a bullet go off, doesn’t
Ova - Excuse My Reading
See Full review on my blog

Obviously, I am like the other reviewers:

This book is amazing. The plot is so complicated and full of action, you literally could not stop reading until you learn WHAT THE HELL IS ACTUALLY GOING ON!

If I didn't have that unforgettably pleasant night, I'd go with 3 stars,
If the end didn't disappoint me I'd go with 5 stars,
So I settled at 4.

I so liked this book but I wish the ending, was a bit different.

This is me on page 501...
I felt like lots of things left unanswered
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

“Now do you see?
Escape isn’t to be found at the end of this dirt road; it’s through me.
So run if you must.
Run until you can’t stand, and when you wake up in Blackheath again and again, do so in the knowledge that nothing here is arbitrary, nothing overlooked, You’ll stay here until I decide otherwise.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Imagine you’re in a body you don’t know.
You don’t remember your name, your age, nothing.
You have an empty memory.
You only remember one name - Anna and that you’ve seen a murder a
Ginger
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 STARS! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is going to be a tough review to write. Not because I didn't love it, but what to say so that I don’t give anything away.
This review is going to be short and to the point. The less you know about this book, the more you will enjoy it!

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was a mixture of a Agatha Christie novel and the sci-fi television series, Quantum Leap.

So, if you’ve never heard of Quantum Leap, the premise of the television series is the main character Dr. Sam Beckett (Bak
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher SOURCEBOOKS Landmark who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.

This is a very unique book, unlike any I've read. I nearly gave up on reading this at 50% because the nature of the story overwhelmed me in its complexity. This is a story of a gentleman named Aiden Bishop who finds himself caught in a nightmare loop of sorts where he has to solve a murder in order to get out. It takes place in an English country manor named Blackheath tucked away in a forest, its f
Leore
I am speechless, baffled and pretty much any other positive word you can think of. I think I’ve found a top 3 book that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

If I could give this more than 5 stars I would.
PattyMacDotComma
“The hunt begins in half an hour and I can’t miss it. I have too many questions and most of the answers will be carrying shotguns.”

Who is this “I” with the questions? My dad told me he’d read about a man whose dementia got so bad that he got up one morning, looked in the bathroom mirror, and said “Who the hell are YOU?” The reason he told me was that he had dementia, but he was a long way from that point.

Our narrator is having trouble recognising himself. At one point he thinks:

“. . . this bla
Carol (Bookaria)
This book is different from anything I've read before! In a good way, of course.

First, imagine you wake up in a forest with no recollection of who or where you are. After the initial disorientation and confusion (and a few other events), the main character learns that he must wake up  in a stranger's body everyday until he solves the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle.

When I first read the premise I thought this is the type of book I enjoy. Although it has supernatural elements to it, the novel still

• The Underground Railroad
  • If We Were Villains
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • Freefall
  • Portrait of a Murderer
  • Early Riser
  • A House of Ghosts
  • 新参者 [Shinzanmono] (加賀恭一郎, #8)
  • The Gone World
  • Six Stories
  • Brat Farrar
  • Rosewater
  • The Testaments
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • Middlegame
  • The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes
Stuart lives in London with his amazing wife and daughter. He drinks lots of tea.

What else?

When he left university he went travelling for three months and stayed away for five years. Every time his parents asked when he’d be back he told them next week, and meant it.

Stuart is not to be trusted. In the nicest possible way.

He’s got a degree in English and Philosophy, which makes him excellent at ar
“How lost do you have to be to let the devil lead you home?” 125 likes