Start by marking “Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars #5)” as Want to Read:
Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars #5)

Cauldron of Fire

(Blood on the Stars #5)

A Deadly Fight to the Finish…

The warrior culture of the Alliance has fragmented, and comrade fights comrade, brother kills brother. The Red Alliance forces, backed by the Union and its propaganda machine, have the advantage in numbers and position, and they are pushing forward, driving relentlessly toward the final attack, the one that will destroy their enemies.

The Gray
Published September 30th 2017 by System 7 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cauldron of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cauldron of Fire

Jim
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very long book. It could have easily been broken into two separate books, but it begins a story and ends it in this single volume which is typical of the previous books in this series.

Tyler Barron and the Dauntless are deep in Alliance territory having formed an alliance with the new (Grey) Imperator Tarkus Vennius. They are preparing to attack a Red Alliance supply convoy which they have been doing for some time. These attacks are slightly annoying the Red Alliance, but the Grey Alli
Mick Bird
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Barron battles continues

Commodore Barron battles continues, can he help to get the Alliance forces to see the truth. There will be losses either way, but the union has a new weapon. He and the confederations forces will need all the help they can get to end this way.
Patrick Barnes
Oct 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Was surprising

I really couldn't see the outcome of the book until the last pages. The death of so many characters was the first unpredictable turn in all the series. With a little more attention to building the characters and a little more work on building a believable societal structure, it might have been stunning.

I think that a small plane carrier is not a capital ship and has to focus almost exclusively on aerospace launch and retrieval of every kind. Asking the same vessel to stand in line
Mike Keller
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Barron and the Dauntless aid the Gray Alliance against Calavius and the Red Alliance.

Tyler Barron leads CFS Dauntless and three other Confederation battleships to assist the leader of the Gray Alliance - Tarkus Vennius. Ironically, Vennius had raised and mentored Captain Katrine Rigellus. In an unofficial foray into Confederation space, Katrine had taken the pride of the Alliance fleet, the Invictus, into an unfortunate encounter with Captain Tyler Barron, commanding CFS Dauntless. The epi
Mike Crate
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cauldron of Fire is the fifth novel in the Blood on the Stars series and as you would expect continues the ongoing story of the conflict between the three main powers in this particular area of the galaxy. The Union and Confederation are pretty much stalemated at this point but the political establishment of the Confederation seeing growing discontent within the populace are looking to strike quick and hard to finish the Union once and for all. Of course the Admirals know that what minor positiv ...more
Shane
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
Two and half stars. In my review of Book #3 in this series I commented on the all the amazing engineers. This book became a much, much more of the same story for the fighter pilots. The endless repetition of "great aces" struggling against their foes in a drawn out battle for vengeance actually became boring rather quickly. The addition of an enemy ace didn't add depth or perspective it just caused another round of repetitions. This was a literary version of the directions on a shampoo bottle; " ...more
Michael
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before you start this one, please note it is the fifth book in a series: you will need to read the others, in order, or this one won’t make much sense as each installment builds upon the other.

Without having a spoiler, I enjoyed this one but it was a little slow in parts as there is a lot of personal reflection between many of the characters for both the Alliance and the Confederacy. You have your usual big finish with the resolution of the current problem and the introduction of a new one to se
Timothy J. Feeley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Barron is Awesome!

Blood on the Stars is one of my favorite series. Book one was amazing, had me hooked, but they have gotten even better since! Back in the 90s, I read Rouge Squadron books. I loved fighter novels (Flight of the Firefox, etc...) but space dog fights were even cooler. I haven't found many sci-fi novels with such great fighter combat as this series, but it is also so much more than that! I felt my emotions welling up at a few points, the characters face struggles you can fee
Beau
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been enjoying this series. After reading the first book, I confess that I took to reading the first five and the last five chapters. I like the characters, but the plots are somewhat predictable. The good guys get into a pickle, a desperate situation from which they are saved by either a) a clever idea they had to surprise the bad guys; b) a difficult choice they made to save the day; or c) a sky hook, a deus ex machina, the cavalry coming over the hill.

I like me some cavalry to the rescue
Cyd O
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story, poor quality

I have to say that Jay Allen has a knack for coming up with great stories. The characters are engaging, the plots are complex enough to keep you interested, and there is plenty of action. Another thing there is aplenty are typos. There are so many, many typos that these books are frustrating to read.

I just looked to see about reading another of Allen's series, and noticed there are actually warnings from Amazon that readers are reporting "quality issues" in the form of
Don Taylor
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Great tale, characters; annoyingly repetitive

I really enjoyed the imagination, characters, and situational development this installment brought to “Blood on the Stars”.

However, the writing remains endlessly repetitive, as if each chapter were an episode following the preceding one by a month or two. I adapted fairly easily, though, as I began rapidly skimming the text until new information appeared.

The great tale, this great new installment to the tale, the enjoyable characters all make dealing
Jim Thorne
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what you expect

A solid read with everything expected from JA and definitely entertaining. More of the story concentrates on individual conflicts and some of those resolutions are forced. As is usually the case story arc resolutions are somewhat "by the grace of god". Honestly though this is what we expect from JA, an entertaining story, some character depth\development and exciting storytelling. Who else out there writes so prodigiously, keeping us entertained and only charges 2.99 for the
Ian
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ive really enjoyed this series. The continued growth of the cast of characters is amazing. Telling the story of the Alliance civil war, with the Confederation assistance, and keeping the Union/Confederation war simmering, was a huge accomplishment.

Kudos to Allen for keeping it all engaging and page turning till the end. Im really looking forward to the next book and how the series wraps up.
Rich Costanzo
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting!!

The Blood on the Stars series is truly exciting to read. Tyler and his crew in the Dauntless will keep you on the edge of your seat and make it hard to put the book down.
Larry Ginn
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the five books, this one was the best and most intense. I liked the continuing character development and the growth of Tyler Barron as a Commodore. I am looking forward to January 2018 for the next chapter in this series.
Janette
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling space epic

This book continues the story of Tyler Barron and his warship. This volume seems less repetitive in the dialogue than some previous episodes, and the action is a little more varied and just as full on as ever. A great read.
Kian
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading this series and I like all the characters. finished the book in one go. like how the story is progressing and now that Tyler is a Commodore he's a bigger player in the game. I look forward to the next book and hope he solves some of the problems close to home.
Julie Kuhn
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! Another great book!

Book #5 in the Blood on the Stars series.
I love these books. Love the characters! The storylines are always inventive, exciting and dramatic. I cannot wait for book 6.
Greg McElroy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Keeping the interest up. The twists and turns are exhilarating. Great job Jay

Great read. The entire series has been riveting!. Looking forward to the next chapter in January. Am going to expire your other series.
Mark
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good installment. Worth continuing this series.

Tyler Baron continues his alignment with the exile Alliance faction to "bring honor" back to the Alliance (and to prevent the Alliance from becoming a puppet empire to the Union).
Larry Holly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Another great book of this series. Good continuation of the story, character development and a good storyline. I'll be definitely waiting for the next book of this series.
John D Schuch
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say. A wondrous read

On May 9 I bought a prime gift membership. Order number 112-7371960-5092203. I would like to use this when my current membership expires June 25. Can you help
Anthony Romain
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable chapter if a bit predictable

Enjoyed reading another edition to this series. Yes it is predictable and I can pretty much guess the plot for the next one. But for all that a thoroughly enjoyable way to pass a few hours.
John
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book continuation of the other four that came before, the author is worth a read his writings are on a par with a lot of the other's in this genre if you want a good read grab the series and start reading you want regret it. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Jimbo
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Barron and the Confederation ships again shine. High adventure with constant action. When all seems lost a daring plan saves the day. The battle is won but the war is no over. An engaging series I would recommend to everyone.
ian cook
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just wow!!!!

I loved it. The back and fore action. The drama. And characters I've grown to care about. I don't really have the words to convey how much I enjoyed this book. maybe after I read it again I will.
Kimberly Sparks
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great story....

What a great story, the characters have become old friends through their backstory. I feel involved in what ever happens to them...good or bad.
Jim
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good and entertaining novel. I enjoyed reading this novel and recommend this book to everyone.
Brian Schiff
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The action is intense, the characters really stand out , I anxiously await the next novel in the series !
John
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Continuing the story of Tyler Barron and the Dauntless as they defend the Confederation against the Union.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct book listing 2 14 Oct 03, 2017 09:50AM

Blood on the Stars (10 books)
  • Duel in the Dark (Blood on the Stars, #1)
  • Call to Arms (Blood on the Stars, #2)
  • Ruins of Empire (Blood on the Stars, #3)
  • Echoes of Glory (Blood on the Stars, #4)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • The White Fleet (Blood on the Stars #7)
  • Black Dawn (Blood on the Stars, #8)
  • Invasion (Blood on the Stars #9)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)