Start by marking “Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars, #5)

Cauldron of Fire

(Blood on the Stars #5)

A Deadly Fight to the Finish…

The warrior culture of the Alliance has fragmented, and comrade fights comrade, brother kills brother. The Red Alliance forces, backed by the Union and its propaganda machine, have the advantage in numbers and position, and they are pushing forward, driving relentlessly toward the final attack, the one that will destroy their enemies.

The Gr
Published September 30th 2017 by System 7 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cauldron of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cauldron of Fire

Start your review of Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars, #5)
Jim
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very long book. It could have easily been broken into two separate books, but it begins a story and ends it in this single volume which is typical of the previous books in this series.

Tyler Barron and the Dauntless are deep in Alliance territory having formed an alliance with the new (Grey) Imperator Tarkus Vennius. They are preparing to attack a Red Alliance supply convoy which they have been doing for some time. These attacks are slightly annoying the Red Alliance, but the Grey Alli
Mick Bird
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Barron battles continues

Commodore Barron battles continues, can he help to get the Alliance forces to see the truth. There will be losses either way, but the union has a new weapon. He and the confederations forces will need all the help they can get to end this way.
MPR
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay first off the good. I like it, quite a lot. I'm 5 books into the series after all. The plot is great, the characters sincere in their actions, and the action fun.

Now the bad. Please get an editor. Anyone. For the following reasons;

At least 2 chapter headings that give the wrong locations. Like if you have a chapter heading that gives a location, make sure it's the right one (Chapters 22+47 if I recall, maybe more).

The same applies to place / character names. Several times just totally wrong
Patrick
Oct 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Was surprising

I really couldn't see the outcome of the book until the last pages. The death of so many characters was the first unpredictable turn in all the series. With a little more attention to building the characters and a little more work on building a believable societal structure, it might have been stunning.

I think that a small plane carrier is not a capital ship and has to focus almost exclusively on aerospace launch and retrieval of every kind. Asking the same vessel to stand in line
Mike Keller
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Barron and the Dauntless aid the Gray Alliance against Calavius and the Red Alliance.

Tyler Barron leads CFS Dauntless and three other Confederation battleships to assist the leader of the Gray Alliance - Tarkus Vennius. Ironically, Vennius had raised and mentored Captain Katrine Rigellus. In an unofficial foray into Confederation space, Katrine had taken the pride of the Alliance fleet, the Invictus, into an unfortunate encounter with Captain Tyler Barron, commanding CFS Dauntless. The epi
Mike Crate
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cauldron of Fire is the fifth novel in the Blood on the Stars series and as you would expect continues the ongoing story of the conflict between the three main powers in this particular area of the galaxy. The Union and Confederation are pretty much stalemated at this point but the political establishment of the Confederation seeing growing discontent within the populace are looking to strike quick and hard to finish the Union once and for all. Of course the Admirals know that what minor positiv ...more
Sissors
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 star, and rounded up, because for some reason I do continue reading them. The books are action packed, I enjoy that. The overall story isn't bad. The characters are bland, it is always more of the same, they would be fine for the first book, but we learn nothing new, nothing changes. It is more of the same. This is also true for pretty much everything else. There is little depth to the universe in Blood on the Stars. It seems that the method to travel to another star system lets you end up a ...more
Dennis Zimmerman
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As I have said before, the Blood on the Stars series is the best Jay Allan series I've read (which is hard to say as I also have enjoyed Allan's other series as well). Cauldron of Fire is the fifth book in the Blood on the Stars series and just like the other books I felt pulled into the story from the very first page. The characters are excellent - you can't help feeling empathetic towards the characters as they struggle with different experiences and the losses of people they love and care abo ...more
Shane
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
Two and half stars. In my review of Book #3 in this series I commented on the all the amazing engineers. This book became a much, much more of the same story for the fighter pilots. The endless repetition of "great aces" struggling against their foes in a drawn out battle for vengeance actually became boring rather quickly. The addition of an enemy ace didn't add depth or perspective it just caused another round of repetitions. This was a literary version of the directions on a shampoo bottle; " ...more
Michael
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before you start this one, please note it is the fifth book in a series: you will need to read the others, in order, or this one won’t make much sense as each installment builds upon the other.

Without having a spoiler, I enjoyed this one but it was a little slow in parts as there is a lot of personal reflection between many of the characters for both the Alliance and the Confederacy. You have your usual big finish with the resolution of the current problem and the introduction of a new one to se
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
6/10: Good light-weight read, well done.

War, he thought. We can fight it, endure it, master it…but in the end, do any of us really survive it?

This one took a little more effort to get through than the others so far in the series. Probably more to do with my preferences than the writing. I wanted more of Tyler and Andi, and quite frankly, I'd had enough of the fighter battles, and battleship battles, and Marine battles by the end of the story.

It just seemed the same old same old to me.

But Andi in
Beau
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been enjoying this series. After reading the first book, I confess that I took to reading the first five and the last five chapters. I like the characters, but the plots are somewhat predictable. The good guys get into a pickle, a desperate situation from which they are saved by either a) a clever idea they had to surprise the bad guys; b) a difficult choice they made to save the day; or c) a sky hook, a deus ex machina, the cavalry coming over the hill.

I like me some cavalry to the rescue
Cyd O
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story, poor quality

I have to say that Jay Allen has a knack for coming up with great stories. The characters are engaging, the plots are complex enough to keep you interested, and there is plenty of action. Another thing there is aplenty are typos. There are so many, many typos that these books are frustrating to read.

I just looked to see about reading another of Allen's series, and noticed there are actually warnings from Amazon that readers are reporting "quality issues" in the form of
Timothy J. Feeley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Barron is Awesome!

Blood on the Stars is one of my favorite series. Book one was amazing, had me hooked, but they have gotten even better since! Back in the 90s, I read Rouge Squadron books. I loved fighter novels (Flight of the Firefox, etc...) but space dog fights were even cooler. I haven't found many sci-fi novels with such great fighter combat as this series, but it is also so much more than that! I felt my emotions welling up at a few points, the characters face struggles you can fee
Jim Thorne
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what you expect

A solid read with everything expected from JA and definitely entertaining. More of the story concentrates on individual conflicts and some of those resolutions are forced. As is usually the case story arc resolutions are somewhat "by the grace of god". Honestly though this is what we expect from JA, an entertaining story, some character depth\development and exciting storytelling. Who else out there writes so prodigiously, keeping us entertained and only charges 2.99 for the
Don Taylor
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Great tale, characters; annoyingly repetitive

I really enjoyed the imagination, characters, and situational development this installment brought to “Blood on the Stars”.

However, the writing remains endlessly repetitive, as if each chapter were an episode following the preceding one by a month or two. I adapted fairly easily, though, as I began rapidly skimming the text until new information appeared.

The great tale, this great new installment to the tale, the enjoyable characters all make dealing
Tom
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
After taking a break from reading the preceding books in the series, I picked up where I left off. The break was beneficial, renewing my enjoyment in the tale. While I found the end state of the book's main characters to be somewhat predictable, that in no way detracted from the pleasure derived from the experience of getting there.

I recommend the series and am looking forward to the next installment.

Finally, I was pleased to find that this book had relatively few of the editing/proofreading esc
John S Roth
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Page-Turner!!

Once again Tyler Barron is sent out to the rim to accomplish the impossible. The Confederation simply cannot fight a war on two fronts, but Union forces have been hard at work to bring in the Alliance against the Confederation. Against overwhelming odds, Tyler is supposed to get the Alliance to work with the Confederation as allies - oh yeah, he's the one that fought the Alliance's biggest and best ship and crew to the death a few years back! Edge of the seat action, intrigue and ma
Carole Eshenbaugh
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Battle after battle

Barron, and crew are back. Rip roaring battles. We have the Union trying to take over the Alliance. The Confederation dukeing it out to the bitter end with the Union with a new weapon. The Confederation trying to save the Alliance from itself. And of course there is Andi. Good old Andi just out there finding things. The good guys could not be any better and the bad guys so evil. Just lots of action, emotion and cliff hanger as to what will Barron run into next.
Michael Grace
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As things come together

At first,I did think "Why talk about the alliance if they are not going to be part of the story". Well I spoke to soon. The story has come full circle,with unforseen twist and turns on my part. Meaning some stories are easy to follow and predict. So enjoy being surprised even if it makes me uncomfortable. And I'm pleased to say I have no idea the direction the book will take.
Ian
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ive really enjoyed this series. The continued growth of the cast of characters is amazing. Telling the story of the Alliance civil war, with the Confederation assistance, and keeping the Union/Confederation war simmering, was a huge accomplishment.

Kudos to Allen for keeping it all engaging and page turning till the end. Im really looking forward to the next book and how the series wraps up.
Peter Jones
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Continuing excellent space opera

I continue to be very taken with the world created here. The characters are very likable, the situations tense and believable. The stakes are real as well, as characters I’ve come to like are placed in true peril and many have died. Gripping, interesting, and excellent stories are found in this series. Very excited to continue the series.
Todd Gutschow
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Getting repetitive...

This book in the series is getting a bit repetitive. The “we’re outnumbered but our fighting spirit will get us through” is a bit too much book after book. Although the author does a good job brining new creations into the mix the cliche dialogue is getting too tiresome. I hope that the author begins to change things around a bit in the next book.
Larry Holly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Another great book of this series. Good continuation of the story, character development and a good storyline. I'll be definitely waiting for the next book of this series.
Janette
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling space epic

This book continues the story of Tyler Barron and his warship. This volume seems less repetitive in the dialogue than some previous episodes, and the action is a little more varied and just as full on as ever. A great read.
Julie Kuhn
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! Another great book!

Book #5 in the Blood on the Stars series.
I love these books. Love the characters! The storylines are always inventive, exciting and dramatic. I cannot wait for book 6.
Larry Ginn
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the five books, this one was the best and most intense. I liked the continuing character development and the growth of Tyler Barron as a Commodore. I am looking forward to January 2018 for the next chapter in this series.
ian cook
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just wow!!!!

I loved it. The back and fore action. The drama. And characters I've grown to care about. I don't really have the words to convey how much I enjoyed this book. maybe after I read it again I will.
John
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book continuation of the other four that came before, the author is worth a read his writings are on a par with a lot of the other's in this genre if you want a good read grab the series and start reading you want regret it. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Greg McElroy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Keeping the interest up. The twists and turns are exhilarating. Great job Jay

Great read. The entire series has been riveting!. Looking forward to the next chapter in January. Am going to expire your other series.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct book listing 2 15 Oct 03, 2017 09:50AM

• Insurgent (First Colony #10)
  • Banishment (The Forgotten Empire, #1)
  • The Battle For Earth (The Forgotten Empire, #3)
  • Fracture (First Colony #8)
  • Forsaken (Ether War #3)
  • Earth Ascendant (The Forgotten Empire, #2)
  • Emergence (First Colony #6)
  • Fatal Fringe (Ether War, #1)
  • Harbinger (First Colony, #9)
  • Vigilance (First Colony #7)
  • Discovery (First Colony #5)
  • Relics of Eternity (Shadow of Terra, #1)
  • Legacy (First Colony #3)
  • A Line in the Sand (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes #14)
  • Last Sentinel (Ether War #5)
  • Darkest Hour (Liberation War, #1)
  • Ashes of the Past (Ether War #2)
  • Sanctuary (First Colony #4)

Blood on the Stars (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Duel in the Dark (Blood on the Stars, #1)
  • Call to Arms (Blood on the Stars, #2)
  • Ruins of Empire (Blood on the Stars, #3)
  • Echoes of Glory (Blood on the Stars, #4)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • The White Fleet (Blood on the Stars #7)
  • Black Dawn (Blood on the Stars, #8)
  • Invasion (Blood on the Stars #9)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)
  • The Grand Alliance (Blood on the Stars, #11)