Start by marking “In the Time of Dinosaurs (Megamorphs, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Time of Dinosaurs (Megamorphs, #2)

In the Time of Dinosaurs

(Animorphs #18.5)

We could blame everything that happened on Marco. He was the one who heard about the downed submarine. He was the one who thought we should check it out. And everyone knows that if Marco's up to a challenge, I'm definitely there.

Everything was going fine. Until the explosion. An explosion that blows us millions of years back in time. Back to the age of dinosaurs. Now

Published June 1998 by Apple (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about In the Time of Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Time of Dinosaurs

Start your review of In the Time of Dinosaurs (Megamorphs, #2)
Ben Babcock
I want to say that I don’t remember these books being as dark as they seem now, but I think that would be a lie. Young!Ben recognized the darkness—but for me, at that age, that wasn’t even the draw. I was more about the adventure and the heroism of these young characters—the science-fictional elements were really the coolest thing. Now when I read Megamorphs #2: In the Time of the Dinosaurs I’m focusing more on how messed up these situations are.

So in this, our second blockbuster-style Animorphs
Ashley
So this is the one where the Animorphs get blown back in time 65 million years by a nuclear explosion, and they fight dinosaurs and almost get eaten a bunch of times and discover that the Earth wasn't always as alien free as we thought.

I mean, you hear that premise, and you think, Ooh, fun! Dinosaurs! Time travel! But this book is the Animorphs doing dinosaurs and time travel, so that means it's all kinds of messed up. No Jurassic Park wonder and fun times to be found. Instead, we have Tobias
Julie
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AT LAST!!! I've been waiting in happy anticipation to finally reach this Megamorphs, which was always one of my favourites of the entire series because DINOSAURS. What's notable is that the Yeerks aren't even involved at all; the Animorphs embark on an altruistic mission to help a downed nuclear submarine, and are blasted back to the Cretaceous for their trouble. They have to avoid getting chomped by a ton of different dinosaurs (T-rexes!!) and end up caught between two warring alien races as ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

The Animorphs encounter their second Sario Rip – a rip in the space time continuum – that throws them millions of years into the past. Sixty five million years, to be slightly more precise, at the very end of the dinosaur’s reign. Here they meet Deinonychus, pteradons, tyrannosaurus Rex, and two different species of aliens fighting over the planet. The crab-like Mercora are peaceful herbivores who only want to tend to their broccoli, but the ant-like Nesk
Sharon
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm too old for this but man was this one annoying to read. It was like watching Jurassic Park on repeat, and only the jumpscare actiony bits. I hated the personification of the Tyrannosaur, even though it's filtered through the eyes of kids who have seen Jurassic Park. Like T-rexes I am sure had down time. Predators are really chill you know? Not raging titanic masses of fury 24-7.

Also (view spoiler)
Melissa F.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, gritty, violent, and basically everything the first Megamorphs book is not. It isn't perfect - the constant shifting POVs are hard to keep up with sometimes, and Cassie's is more jarring than normal butted up against the others (her morality is SO GRATING here). But this had a few things going for it I absolutely love. The Tobias&Rachel adventure for a good chunk of the book. The new aliens we meet. The DINOSAURS (although this has become quite outdated). Overall, just a lot of fun and ...more
Jonathan Pongratz
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: super-interested
Original review at Jaunts & Haunts

5/5

I gave this book five civilization-saving stars!

I'm not sure why this continuation of the Animorphs saga gets such a bad wrap, but I'm hear to say that I believe it's a bunch of bologna!

This is the second Megamorphs (or #18.5) in the series, and the stakes have never been higher.
Our dear Animorph friends get news that a nuclear submarine has gone missing in the ocean nearby. Being the heroes that they are, they decide to investigate and help save lives
JonRaven
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5. entertaining for an Animorphs books. I actually went to Toronto on vacation at 80% through this book, hence the delay finishing, and saw many dinosaur bones and casts and exhibits at the Royal Ontario Museum. One thing I didn't like was the Afterword, which basically insults scientists jokingly and shrugs off science. That's not the message I'd choose to convey to kids at the end of a book. But, it's just a book. I enjoyed it for what it was. Needed a super light read for some escapism with ...more
Joy
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-authors
In this installment, our heroes commit just a small genocide for the sake of unclear time travel conventions

But also dinosaurs, it was insane and really the essence of a good weird Animorphs story
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
Running thoughts while reading this book:

"Wait - haven't they used the Sario Rip time-travel plot before?" *scrolls through summaries of the previous books* "Yeah, there we go. The Forgotten. This makes me think so much of The Forgotten. And why do none of them seem to remember that they've been in a Sario Rip before?"

"How is Tobias the only one who recognizes the dinosaurs? Like...how? I mean, I get the rest not knowing the names of everything...but really? It should not take that long to
Swankivy
Aug 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Umm, why didn't they ever explain why a morph no longer healed the kids of their battle scars? Inconsistencies bother me. So this is my least favorite Megamorph.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

It's a bit ridiculous to imagine that a nuclear bomb could have gone off right next to a populated area and this doesn't appear to have any repercussions, nor is it brought up in the series again that an event which would be heralded as a catastrophe happened right there in the water. (Being that this
Dunstan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
This contributed nothing to the overall series. What was the point of writing this? Will the Nesk or Mercora make an appearance in a later book? If not, then this book is a waste of time.

It is jam packed with a lot of action to the point that it seems over done. Our hippie loving Earth friend Cassie is yet again conflicted about attacking another species....when is she not? If you don't want to fight then please remove yourself from the books. You either want to save planet Earth or you don't.
K.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely my favorite Megamorphs of all time. I read this deep into my "I want to be a paleontologist" phrase, so I was captivated by the descriptions of the landscapes and creatures. I vividly remember the scene where Rachel and Tobias have to run, in "regular form", away from a pack of predatory deinonychus. I knew what those were! I could picture them in my mind! How terrifying! It really got the ol' heart pumpin'.
Ashlyn
excuse me, did Jake completely forget about everything that happened in book 11? whatever. also, Cassie, your animal friendly mentality is great and all but not when you are surrounded by giant intelligent meat eating animals. there is a time and a place for your vegan tendencies, and it isn't in dinosaur land. ...more
Mylène
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Definitely not the best book of the series. The outcome was very predictable... if they could have kept the dinosaurs morph it would at least have been useful... but it feels like this book achieved no purpose whatsoever, even Cassie gets into another "killing spree" in the next book, so this one is pretty much irrelevant to the story.
The Library Ladies
(Originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com.)

Plot: As the plot describes, the Animorphs here about a nuclear sub sinking off their local coastline. As dolphins they help the divers locate the sub, but as they are retreating, it suddenly goes off and blows them all into unconsciousness. When they wake up, they begin to notice some strange things. It was stormy originally, and now it’s bright sunshine. The water is more clear, even after a bomb going off? And…there’s a massive volcano on the
Stephanie
In this second Megamorphs installment, we once again get the round-robin narration from each Animorph. It works out really well in this book, notably because of how they get separated early on and in how a couple of the Animorphs make some very important observations/deductions over the entire course of this book. Neither of these attributes would have worked half so well if the book was done from only one point of view.

Plus, the Animorphs get to meet dinosaurs. Admittedly it was not fun for
Erin
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one shared most of the same problems as the first Megamorphs book in terms of being mostly unrelated to anything and concluding by hitting the Magical Reset Button to undo literally everything, but I will at least give it credit for being a properly epic adventure. If all of the Megamorphs and Chronicles books are the tie-in movies to the main series's TV show, this one actually managed to feel like a proper movie as opposed to just an extra-long episode.

And I'm always up for a good
Thistle
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I'm reading this series for the first time as an adult. (Unfortunately) I have no fond memories coloring my reading.

This was the second book in the Animorphs series that I didn't finish. These "extra" books never seem to work for me. The Megamorphs ones (so named because they're twice as long as the other books) are 100% action, no plot-impact. I'm not reading this series for the fight scenes.

In this book, through a plot device riff in space/time, the Animorphs go back in time to
Matthew
As a kid, I loved this book. Probably you know, the whole dinosaur thing.

As an adult, I haven't been much of a fan of megamorph books so far. They seem to really up the action half of things, while sucking away a lot of the story and personal growth. The first half of this book was non-stop "running" as they ran from big threat to big threat. Maybe exciting when I was younger, but now I want some meat to it.

However, the second half, when the various aliens appeared introduced a much more
Brit McCarthy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
K.A. Applegate continues to belt out across those moral grey areas. She's giving it to you from all sides and she doesn't care how confused you might get in your own mind, trying to answer the age-old question "what is right?".

The love I have for this series is expanding as I hurtle further and further away from the 'target age' intended for these books. But how could I have truly appreciated this at ten years old? I loved them then for the high stakes action, the entertaining adventures and of
Juushika
How unlucky are these kids that they keep getting caught in weird phenomena--a particularly glaring coincidence since there was one in the previous book. But the time-travel creates a punishing scenario, even for this series; it's one part survival, one part setpiece, and certainly bigger and more worthy of a Megamorphs title than the previous attempt, The Andalite's Gift. It would be a better narrative if much of the danger were less episodic and two big reveals (dinosaurs; meteor) not so ...more
Ethan
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 40-in-40-2019
A kind of silly book. Another Sario rip happens, the Animorphs end up in the late Cretaceous era, and have wacky adventures with broccoli eating crab aliens and evil ant aliens. It’s an excuse to let the Animorphs run around and morph dinosaurs, which would be neat if they spent more time doing that. Instead, we get a bunch of weird, one off aliens, and a plot device that was stupid when the main series used it, too.
Samantha Trillium ☂
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-litt
What I really liked about this special edition was that it had nothing to do with the Yeerks. It was a nice break from the stress of the invasion war, and have a totally all new problem to deal with: being sent back in time to the dinosaurs!
Coincidentally, I was also listening to the audiobook of Jurassic park, so I think I am all dinosaured out atm.
Sha
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
1. Animorphs books tend to get put under the epic moments tag because they have Rachel, and Rachel consistently exhibits sheer aggressive audacity, a casual disregard for critical injuries, and a competent grasp of tactics.

I see all of you action heroes and point out to you this teenage fashionista from a 90s middle grade series. Because in comparison, y'all are wimps.
Jesus
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Really love the megamorphs series, but i'll have to admit i really don't like the whole adventures in nature of the crew, they are kinda lame for me i'd rather have them fighting the yeerks those are the plots i like, anyway, this was really cool, the animorphs certainly proved what they are made of, anyway omg the ending, KA really knows who to write good ending at least for me, cool book
LdyGray
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Animorphs meet dinosaurs!

Gray doesn't know how to pronounce deinonychus and other fun conversations on our podcast.
Kelsey
This one was great! The initial plot is really just an excuse to get sent back in time to the dinosaurs. Honestly, that's okay, because this is a very cool Animorphs story. Ax is my favorite as always.
Jonathan Grant
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this like three times when I was 10 or 11 and I honestly don't remember the aliens at all. I remembered the stuff that happened in the rest of the story, but the weird aliens I just totally blanked out.
Odhran
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Man, the Animorphs have to make some "weird" choices, don't they?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1)
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • Pirates Don't Wear Pink Sunglasses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #9)
  • Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • The Screech Owls' Northern Adventure (Screech Owls, #3)
  • Women of the Raj
  • Sudden Death in New York City (Screech Owls, #13)
  • The West Coast Murders (Screech Owls, #12)
  • Horror on River Road (Screech Owls, #14)
  • Murder at Hockey Camp (Screech Owls, #4)
  • A History of the Modern Middle East
  • Uncle John's Supremely Satisfying Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #14)
  • The Night They Stole the Stanley Cup (Screech Owls, #2)
  • We Want to Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • Enter the Enchanted (Everworld, #3)
also published under the name Katherine Applegate

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)