Start by marking “Surviving Kidnappers” as Want to Read:
Surviving Kidnappers

Surviving Kidnappers

Surviving Kidnappers is a detailed guide from conflict expert Olav Ofstad which takes readers through the process of kidnap survival, guiding them through the critical steps from assault through captivity to freedom.

What would you do if you were kidnapped? Starting with the assault, this book explains the mindset required to stay calm and make intelligent decisions.
Published September 15th 2017 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Kidnappers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Kidnappers

Start your review of Surviving Kidnappers
Francis Tapon
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surviving Kidnappers: Precautions, Influence, Strategic Tools is an excellent book for anyone who worries about being kidnapped.

From 2013-2018 I traveled to all 54 African countries, including all the ones where kidnapping is a serious risk. Although I took precautions, I wish I had read this book before my trip. Unfortunately, it just came out so I missed out. But you can benefit from it now.

The book teaches you how to prevent a kidnapping in the first place. For instance, whenever getting into
teleri llinos
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was definitely something. When I started reading it I was shocked at how much information the author was putting into it, and then what really blew me away was the variety of kidnappings he was talking about. When I've read about kidnappings in the past they tend to stick to one or maybe two forms of kidnapping, but the author covered everything. From boat to car to plane to jungle and more. It was shocking.

Although this book was heavy with information I wasn't tired of it. Something
Stars In Her Eye
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surviving Kidnappers is an essential handbook for anyone who might be at high risk of kidnapping. I read it myself even though I'm not at high risks, I enjoying knowing how to handle what if situations and how psychology can work for you. Though it's not written in a very interesting way, it doesn't need to be to meet it's purpose. The great news is that is way easier to read than a DV manual and you actually understand what to do!
I received an ARC from NetGalley; all opinions are my own.
Larissa Lio
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very informative piece on what to do when the possibility of a kidnapping is around. With the type of information on dealing with kidnapping in different situations i would say that this book would be an essential tool to have read. It is an easy read and written very interesting. Nobody would every want to be in the situation to have to use what is covered in the book but its very useful to have this knowledge in the back of your head.
Lectus
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, nonfic
If you live in a country where kidnapping is a likely possibility, then you must read this book. It tells you how to handle different situations and what to do depending of the kind of kidnapping. Excellent resource!
Schizanthus
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Review deleted after the author ignored repeated requests to remove personal information from their website.
James
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In some ways this is an odd book, after all, just what are the chances of getting kidnapped? Well, the answer of course depends on where you live and what you do for a living. There are many people throughout the world who probably are at heightened risk – aid workers in conflict zones for example – and this book, written by a Norwegian lawyer and researcher might just save their life. Olav Ofstad certainly knows his stuff, having spent years in conflict zones working with embassies and ...more
Kristine
Surviving Kidnappers by Olav Ofstad is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late October.

Obviously, no one wants to need to use this book, but, if you must, the author describes the phases of a kidnapping (assault, transportation, captivity, release), using empathy and imagination to place you into a kidnapping dilemma and to maintain mental control, evading confrontation, understanding the use of verbal threat and violence for a kidnapper to gain control, reacting to a kidnapper without panic
Kara
Oct 05, 2017
Olav Ofsad
Oct 11, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
GabbieDewolfe