Start by marking “The Silver Feather” as Want to Read:

The Silver Feather

Start your review of The Silver Feather
Michael Gardner
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story escalates a tragedy into a full blown horror. It’s well written and has just the right amount of splatter to make it scary and not silly. Told in a flurry of small chapters, it’s a real page turner with quite a nice twist regarding the fate of the villain.

I was left wondering if there’s more to the story than what sits on the surface. While reading, I was reminded of some of the different ways the human mind deals with intense grief: sleeping, memory loss, madness and death. Of
Jennifer Perry
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story kept me engaged to the final sentence. It's a nightmarish little tale about life and death and the battle between good and evil, in an interesting horror genre with romance mixed in. Highly recommended for Halloween as a spooky read with heart. Joanne Van Leerdam is a writer I would like to read again. ...more
Jane Jago
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a little story that will stay with me for a very long time. The transcendence of love is handled beautifully, and the horror element is truly scary.

Just read it.
Aliya DalRae
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar, short-stories
This latest short story from the brilliant mind of Joanne Van Leerdam takes a turn from her normal fare as she dips her toes into the depths of horror. Her young protagonist, Phil, discovers that not all is as it seems when he loses his heart’s desire before he has the chance to proclaim his love.

His loss takes him into a realm where nightmares are real and only a talisman of faith and hope can save him from the evils that lie in wait on the other side.

This haunting tale reminds us all that the
J.S. Frankel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this short story from the author and finished it in less than ten minutes. The mark of a good story, though, no matter what the genre, is if it stays with you. This one does.

We have Phil, a young man, bereft at the loss of Libby, a girl he fell in love with, but never had the chance--or the courage--to tell her his feelings. After she dies, he visits her grave, pours his heart out to her, and soon...soon, strange things begin to happen.

I won't spoil the ending, but I will say that the old
Eva Pasco
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No Featherweight Story!

This well-written, finely-tuned short story is no featherweight when it comes to broaching matters of life and death. Yet, its title, “The Silver Feather,” is a perfect fit, taking into account the haunting sorrow and guilt that plagues one for not disclosing true feelings for another before it’s too late.

Character conversations at the beginning of the story belie what ensues after a tragic act.

The author deftly uses a talisman to spin a story incorporating gruesome ho
Kayla Krantz
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ahar, horror, paranormal
A beautiful quick read filled with haunting moments and beautiful sadness. Recommended for fans of short stories and paranormal romance.
R.M. Gauthier
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The Silver Feather by Joanne Van Leerdam

A ghostly tale written by an acclaimed poet but poetry is not her only specialty.

This short tale takes you on a journey through the graveyard and death. The author weaves a tale of suspense and thrills keeping you guessing until the very end. I hope the author enchants us with more stories that we can enjoy as much as this one!

Well done! Can't wait for more!
Lyra Shanti
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was a beautifully written combo of love story and horror! Loved the imagery and the tension. Great read for October!
Fiona  Cooke Hogan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cleverly crafted short tale of gothic horror played out in the eerie back drop of a cemetery. When Libby dies, Phil's world falls apart. Libby was the love of his life and he would rather spend his time by her graveside than live a half-life.
He confides his feelings over the grave and leaves his special talisman to keep her safe. Little does he know that soon the talisman will be the only thing protecting him as he journeys across the divide between the living and the dead. Poignant and chill
M Tompsett
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ahar
With the loss of his best friend, who he never had the chance to tell her how much she meant to him or that he loved her has to find a way to deal with his grief. Until the strange, spooky and evil happenings start.
Even in death a love story binding two souls together with a silver feather, across time and beyond distance for they only belong to one another.
A short read, with horror aspects to keep you on the edge of your seat. Keep an eye out for Joanne Van Leerdam and her fantastic works. I
T.K. Louis
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silver Feather is a nice little bedtime story of about 20 e-pages (40 in print). With a bit of romance, some horror and a taste of the supernatural, it is well told and interesting. We do not feel the main protagonist as much as I would like. For example, we are told of the dreams but we do not live them with him. I can recommend the story as is, but I felt slightly cheated by the brevity of this tale, which felt hurried.
Maria Riegger
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written story that is a poignant reminder to let our loved ones know that we love them.
J.B. Richards
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young Phil begins to experience whispers from the grave as he searches for meaning in a prospective teenage paramour’s premature and unexpected death. But is it his true love calling out to him, or is it something… else?

Although I am familiar with Joanne Van Leerdam’s amazing poetry collections, I was pleasantly taken by surprise at the ease and familiarity she has demonstrated in slipping into the genre of short-story horror. This well-balanced story of lost love and a life cut short by an ina
Jason Nugent
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, Dark Tale

Interesting tale of death and loss and the process of grief. Spurred by a love he never shared, Phil seeks to deal with the loss of a friend.

Entertaining short story that has a fun twist at the end.
Mar
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm very happy I came across this book. I had never read anything from Van Leerdam and I'm greatly surprised.
This book is a sweet read, a horror little tale you'd love having next to your bed.

I love these short stories, it kind of reminds me of "Tales from the Crypt", which I was a total fan when I was a kid. Short, sharp, right to the point, with a lesson, a horrific lesson. The reviews for this title are great, and it completely deserves it.

The author introduces all the essential elements to m
C.H. Clepitt
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very dark and creepy read that had me on the edge of my seat. It was also short, and I read it in around 45 minutes. For such a short story the suspense was built really well, and a powerful level of emotion presented quickly and effectively. I did not see the ending coming at all, which I always enjoy.

My one criticism would be that the “monster” was a hag, which I feel is a bit cliched and overdone. Ugly doesn’t necessarily mean bad, and it’s a stereotype we shouldn’t be perpetuating. That sa
Ana
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was so interesting. I had no idea where the story would go. I wasn’t expecting to read some horror story but I like being surprise so it was a good thing. I liked where the plot went, it was a little too fast paced to the point it felt rushed but it was an enjoyable read.

I liked the main character, although I think I wasn’t truly able to connect emotions with him and that was a little bothersome because I wanted to feel his grief and I just couldn’t. I wasn’t that satisfied with the ending
G. Gaynor
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming down from my shade of envious green (though I cannot tell you why - you just have to read the story for yourself), I wish to report that I had a good time reading this short story. It was a delightful mix of horror and romance... with a taste of the occult just to keep you honest.

I was reminded of Harry Potter's scar (in a very nice way) and I am very much looking forward to reading more from JVL!
Avira N.
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phil, a teen, falls into depression after losing the girl he loves and takes on to visit her grave at night. But things are not as they seem on the surface, and the destiny has something strange waiting for him. The prose is simple. The classic nightmare elements add to the spooky atmosphere of the story. The last few pages of the book are pretty gory, but not unnecessarily so, and the denouement is shocking. A well-written story on regret, fate, supernatural, and enduring power of love.
Shanna Nichols
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
The Silver Feather by Joanne Van Leerdam is a beautiful tale of two teens who have been best friends forever. My heart breaks for Phil when Libby is taken in a scene that could have come from today's headlines.
The feather that binds the two of them together seems to awaken an evil and only Libby can help Phil.
This is a powerful story with an ultimate feel good ending. A well deserved five star rating!
SA
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A page-turner that will keep you reading. A perfect combination that blends horror and love. This well-written story with beautiful imagery will make you think about regrets, the magic of love and all the obstacles that come in your way. The horror parts are not for the fainted heart but they will keep you hooked, holding your breath.
D.J. Doyle
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ahar
Very well written with an enjoyable story. We've all, at some time in our life, lost someone without telling them how much we cared.

This story of sorrow mixed with a little horror is a quick read that'll pull on your heartstrings and creep you out too. I only wished there was more of the horror but worth the read. Definitely recommended.
Sarah Northwood
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re in the mood for a great short horror read, with plenty of spine-chilling moments, then this is a fab read! We follow Phil as a tragedy turns into a nightmare. My only complaint is there wasn’t enough of it.
Elizabeth
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good short story

It’s very short but a nice story with a happy ending. It would be great to see this made longer and the characters developed a bit more so we could enjoy them longer.
Maria Riegger
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kat Gracey
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engaging short story with a few twists along the way. I would recommend it.
Jennifer C.  Petersen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
Joanne Van Leerdam is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This is a quick read (my favorite kind). After this book, especially, I'm pumped to read all her books!!
Jennifer Adams
Dec 07, 2017
Smiley35
rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2018

• Dead by Morning (Rituals of the Night #1)
  • The Gates of Golorath (Chaos of Souls, #1)
  • The Daughters of Death: Versatile Layer book 4
  • Acid Rain (Blood Moon Trilogy #2)
  • The OCD Games: A Christmas Romance Novella
  • Blueberry Pancakes
  • The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1)
  • On A Park Bench In March
  • Happy Clown Burger: Volume One
  • Survive at Midnight (Rituals of the Night #3)
  • The Mahzur
  • Versatile Layer: The Glass Runner
  • The Tower (The Tarot Series Book 1)
  • When Night Falls: A Collection of Short Stories and Poems
  • Presenting the Marriage of Kelli Anne & Gerri Denemer
  • Another Girl Calls My Dad Daddy
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond
  • Seal of Secrets (The Driftwood Mysteries, #1)
Joanne Van Leerdam is a poet and author of short stories. Her body of work consists of aix poetry collections, one general short story collection, a play, four collections of horror short stories, and a contribution to several anthologies.

When she's not writing, Joanne is a teacher of English, History and Drama/Production. She is an active member and performer in her local theatre company.
Her ho