Start by marking “The Betrayal (The Guernsey Novels Book 6)” as Want to Read:
The Betrayal (The Guernsey Novels Book 6)

The Betrayal

(The Guernsey Novels #6)

"An absolutely riveting read”

Book Six of The Guernsey Novels is another dual-time story set during the German Occupation and present-day Guernsey and is likely to appeal particularly to fans of the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Treachery and theft lead to death – and love

1940. Teresa Bichard and her baby are sent by her beloved hus

Published October 20th 2017 by Sarnia Press

To ask other readers questions about The Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betrayal

Start your review of The Betrayal (The Guernsey Novels Book 6)
Dash fan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ A Poignant and gripping read

The Betrayal is the 6th book in the The Guernsey Novels but my very first book.
It can be read as a standalone perfectly fine.

The Betrayal is a thrilling yet poignant  read yet it's full of mystery and intrigue.

The story is told within two time lines, present and WW2 which is partly what attracted me to the book. I love reading books that feature the war time as it's always fascinating and dramatic.

The opening to The Betrayal we see a family torn apart due to the Ge
Karen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Betrayal is book number 6 in the Guernsey Novels series and although I’ve not read any of the others except for book number 2 ‘Finding Mother’ please don’t be put off by the word ‘series’. The Betrayal can quite easily be read as a standalone without any loss of enjoyment.

I love a dual time novel, particularly if the setting is WW2 and purchased this book last year. Being invited on to the tour seemed an ideal opportunity to bump it up the reading mountain.

The story begins in 1940 with the i
Suzy Henderson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having read Anne’s last book, 'Echoes of Time', I couldn’t wait to read her latest, and I wasn’t disappointed. The novel alternates between WW2 and 2011 and is set on the beautiful island of Guernsey. 'The Betrayal' features twins, Fiona and Nigel, who discover a Renoir within the walls of their antique shop in 2011. When Nigel is found dead, and suicide is suspected, Fiona refuses to believe that her brother would end his own life and she sets out to uncover the truth. Unravelling the mystery w ...more
Donna Maguire

I really, really enjoyed this book, I enjoyed that it covered two main periods of time, during and just after WWII and 2011. Anyone who knows me or follows my blog will already know I am a fan of historical fiction and crime fiction/psychological thrillers so this was definitely a book that drew my attention.

I really enjoyed the plot and the characters were great, I really liked the characters of Teresa and Fiona and how they dealt with what happened to th
Julie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Anne Allen's Guernsey series in which various locations are lovingly described. With the 'suicide' of her twin brother, this book has a orally different feel as Fiona tries to get to the bottom of it. With an undiscovered Renoir and links to WW2 this book has a much darker feel to it. I have also noticed a supernatural element apparent in the later novels and I enjoyed catching up with characters from previous books; the way in which they are interconnected is very cleverly do ...more
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The novel moves between two timelines the present day 2011 and the World War 2 era, with both located at the beautiful Channel Island of Guernsey.
I love coastal crime novels and the WW2 era, so this was a combination, I knew I would enjoy.
I live on a Channel Island and although I haven’t visited Guernsey yet! I have visited Jersey and its many tourist sites in relation to the German occupation. So, it was easy to visualise the setting and atmosphere that such a novel generates.
The author has
Joanne
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Betrayal is the sixth in Anne Allen's Guernsey series but can easily be read as a standalone. I have only read one other, The Family Divided, which is the fourth in the series, but did not feel that not having read the others, or indeed missing out book 5, affected my enjoyment or understanding of this book.

The Betrayal is told over two time periods and I always enjoy stories where past and present connect. In the historical strand during WW2, Guernsey looks likely to become occupied by the
Tripfiction
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
Mystery set on GUERNSEY

The Betrayal is no. 6 in the “Guernsey Novels”. It can easily be read as a stand-alone. A gentle novel that has at its heart the discovery of a possibly genuine Renoir.

Nigel Torode took over N and F Antiques in Contrée Mansell, and because he was developing a life impacting illness, his twin sister, Fiona, agreed to come and help him manage the business. However, right at the beginning of the novel he is found hanged. The police do not suspect foul play – perhaps his recen
Joan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this beautifully written and exciting dual time frame novel about two families who lived in Guernsey over seventy years apart, but who were linked by a piece of fine art, an antique shop, a betrayal and the greed of a merciless killer.
When it looked likely that Guernsey would be invaded by the German militia in the early 1940’s, the premier antique shop owner on the island, Leo Bichard insisted his young wife Teresa and baby daughter Judith were evacuated to the relative safety of her fa
Carole
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Betrayal is set in Guernsey and is a pleasing mix of
mystery and romance with a dash of the supernatural.

It was an easy read and easy to get involved in the
characters lives. The story goes back and forth
between 1940 and 2011. During WWII Guernsey was
preparing for a German invasion as the British
Government had withdrawn their defence of the island.
This was an interesting piece of history and which maybe not many
people today are aware of so I thought it was good to
highlight this.

Fiona was distr
Adele
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Two tragedies just less than 70 years apart, is there a connection?

A time slip mystery that takes you to a war torn Guernsey, who at first were coping fairly well but with the threat of German occupation the small island and it’s community were soon left isolated from the rest of Europe.

Now in 2011 Fiona and her twin brother Nigel, the new owners of a long-established antique shop in Guernsey, are fizzing with excitement of the paintings they have just found hidden amongst the property. With Fio
Karen
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read that takes place in the 1940's and 2000's. I loved the way the book was written to give you a background of what happened during the German occupancy of Guernsey in the 1940's and goes to current day where we find out who the betrayer was as well as what happened to Leo's families valuables. The book was well written and moves effortlessly through between the decades.

This was my first time reading Anne Allen, and I now want to go back to read the other books in the Guernsey Novels.
Vicki_cosy.books
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Betrayal is the sixth novel by Anne Allen set on the picturesque island of Guernsey, and while it was the first I read, this makes not a jot of difference as it acts very much as a stand alone. One thing’s for sure though, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up one of Anne’s previous five novels as I really enjoyed this book and the author’s writing.

I say this all the time, but duel narrative = big favourite of mine, and with two separate but connecting stories set in both the present, where Fiona’s
Elizabeth Lloyd
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Betrayal is set mostly in Guernsey but in two eras. First, we find ourselves in 1940, where Teresa Bichard is distraught at leaving her husband, Leo, on the island while she flees to her family on the mainland with their baby daughter. The Germans are expected to invade imminently but Leo feels he must look after their home and antique business in Guernsey. Fast forward to 2011 and we meet Nigel and his twin sister Fiona, who have bought that antique shop, but from a different owner.

While de
Cathy Ryan
A story set in two different time periods, beginning in 1940s Guernsey when Teresa Bichard has been persuaded to leave Guernsey with her baby daughter, due to the expected invasion by the German army. Her husband Leo, is staying to look after the business and valuable items belonging to the family.

In present day Guernsey, twins Fiona and Nigel are the proud new owners of a well established antique shop. They found a hidden trapdoor during the refurbishment which lead to an underground storage ro
Jane Hunt
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 I love this series, it has all the best qualities of a cosy mystery in a breathtaking setting, with just a hint of the supernatural and historical flashbacks that illuminate the present mystery.

Believable, interesting characters are easy to empathise with and draw you into present-day Guernsey and it's WW2 legacy, most notably the German occupation of the island. The gentle romance and supernatural elements enhance the storyline. The writing is clever as present-day events are determined by the
Billy Buttons
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A WISHING SHELF BOOK REVIEW
7th October, 2017
TITLE: The Betrayal, The Guernsey Novels, Book 6
AUTHOR: Anne Allen
Star Rating: 5

A stylishly-written saga packed full of interesting characters and plot twists. Addictive reading!’ A ‘Wishing Shelf’ Book Review

REVIEW
I have now enjoyed all of Anne Allen’s novels and I’m becoming a big fan. She is a very ‘lively’ writer who seems to enjoy giving her readers a wonderful set of characters in a soft, almost velvety setting. Her books also offer a strong hist
Deborah Kelly
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding story

I couldn't put this one down and was so disappointed when the end came! I definitely wanted more! This book skillfully combines familiar locales from the other books in the series and weaves in stories of other characters we, as fans of the Guernsey novels, have come to know and love!
Spoiler alert: the crime is solved quickly but it's the techniques and process of how that's done that is fascinating for the reader, and who doesn't like a little ghost action as well!
I l
Karen's World
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was looking forward to reading this as all the others in this series are very good. I like the descriptions of Guernsey and the characters are all down to earth people so you can relate to what’s going on.
I was intrigued by the twins connection even in death. It was good to hear about the history again of the island and the people.
From death, hidden paintings, London and Guernsey this story had a bit of everything and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so a good 5 stars from me and I would recommend y
Anne
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed Anne Allen's novels in the past and was looking forward to returning to her wonderfully descriptive Guernsey setting once more. The Betrayal is an intriguing and well imagined novel set both in the present day and during World War II

Whilst there are a few characters in The Betrayal who are familiar from the other novels in the series, The Betrayal is a stand-alone story.

Central to the plot is a previously unknown Renoir painting, discovered in a dark cellar underneath an an
Chasing Dreams
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I read the blurb of The Betrayal before signing up to review it, I was hesitant. My previous forays into reading historical novels set during WWII have been disappointing.

Fortunately, I also like challenging my reading zones, so I decided, what the heck?

Man, am I glad I did. Allen had me turning page after gloriously written page until four in the morning! And not just because I had a deadline to finish it by!

The book reads as a standalone, so don’t let the fact that it’s the sixth book in
Thebooktrail
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description

Visit the locations in the novel

I admit to having come to this series of books late – but the good side is that I have a few more to read now! This is the sixth and if this is anything to go by, I’m going to spending a LOT of time on Guernsey with pleasure!

Nigel and Fiona, their antique shop and the mysterious Renoir painting opens up a great premise for exploring the island’s past ( and the little unknown fact that Renoir did spend some time painting here) and it’s a richly dark tale which unf
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Guernsey Novels, to my eternal shame, is yet another series which I've always intended to read but somehow can never find the space in my tbr. So you have no idea how thrilled I was to realise that it was made up of stand-alones meaning I could start with book six and a clear conscience!

Beginning in Guernsey in 1940, the horrors of war are immediately brought to bear with Leo seeing his wife and child off on a boat to England, evacuating them to safety before the expected invasion of the isl
Sheila
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
In 1940, Theresa Bichard and her baby are sent to England when many of the women and children were evacuated prior to the Germans invading Guernsey. Leo, her husband owns an antique store but his grandmother was Jewish. While he doesn't believe it will be a problem, he soon discovers he is wrong and is sent to France and Germany. He doesn't survive.
Fiona and her brother Nigel purchase the store but while Fiona is in London, Nigel dies. His death is ruled a suicide but Fiona is certain he would
Nikki Brown
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-allen
I have read all of the books in this series and this one did not disappoint. Whilst each book is a standalone novel, there are characters which appear in all of the books, but it's not a necessity to read them in order. The amount of detail which Anne puts into her books is extensive, yet the books are easy to read but hard to put down as they are captivating.

This book centers around Nigel and Fiona, twins who have bought an antique shop on Guernsey after Nigel's MS diagnosis. Fiona was origina
Louise
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read in The Guernsey Novels series and I have to say that it works really well as a standalone novel, so don't be put off by the fact that it is the sixth book in the series.

The book is split into two timelines, first there is Guernsey in the 1940's, where a family is split by the threat of imminent war. Then on to 2011 where twins Fiona and Nigel move to Guernsey to open an antique shop.

At the heart of the story is a painting, thought to be a Renoir, and a suspicio
Anne
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
If you haven’t read one of Anne Allen’s books before, don’t be put off for an instant by the fact that this is part of a “series” – every book is a stand-alone, complete in itself, but it is rather lovely to meet again some of the characters from previous books in more minor roles. This book is a lovely dual-time story, a sad episode from Guernsey’s wartime history (and one I really didn’t know about) and a modern thread involving a discovered painting, an unexplained death and a convincing love ...more
Joanna Lambert
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Betrayal is Anne's sixth novel in the Guernsey Novels series. It begins in 1940 where with the German invasion imminent antiques dealer Leo Bichard has decided to send his wife and baby daughter back to England for safety. In 2011 Nigel Torode and his twin sister Fiona are now the owners of Leo's antiques shop. They discover a hidden basement containing what might prove to to be a lost Renoir. Fiona takes the painting to London for tests but on her return discovers Nigel has been murdered. S ...more
Nikki Bywater
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting story set in both the past and almost present day. Covering the Nazi occupation of Guernsey in World War II and the unresolved issues of a mystery of a stolen Renoir painting. When a suspected suicide occurs in present times connecting both incidents our characters work hard to uncover the truth and the facts of what happened in the past to find closure in the future.

I really enjoyed the storyline of the book and I thought the cross over of going back and forth between past and p
Sandra McKenna
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page-turner.

I thoroughly enjoyed this fabulous Guernsey series, and The Betrayal was no exception. Once more the dual timeline story set in Guernsey and England contained mystery and intrigue as well as suspense, and a romance. I love the way that Anne Allen included characters from the previous books.

• Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Her Last Promise
  • 500 Miles from You
  • An Orphan’s War
  • The Daughters of Ireland
  • The Spy Who Came Out of the Bushes (Pitkirtly Mysteries #20)
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street
  • The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)
  • The Strawberry Thief (Chocolat, #4)
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Death in Provence (Penelope Kite #1)
  • The Secret Hours
  • Mr Finchley Discovers His England (Mr Finchley, #1)
  • Remnants of Deceit: A City of London Thriller (City of London Thrillers)
  • The Last Train to London
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #13)
Anne Allen lives in Devon, by her beloved sea. She has three children and her daughter and two grandchildren live nearby. She was born in Rugby, to an English mother and Welsh father. As a result she spent many summers with her Welsh grandparents in Anglesey and learnt to love the sea. Her restless spirit has meant a number of moves which included Spain for a couple of years. The longest stay was ...more

The Guernsey Novels (7 books)
  • Dangerous Waters (The Guernsey Novels, #1)
  • Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels, #2)
  • Guernsey Retreat (The Guernsey Novels, #3)
  • The Family Divided (The Guernsey Novels, #4)
  • Echoes of Time (The Guernsey Novels Book 5)
  • The Inheritance (The Guernsey Novels Book 7)