Start by marking “The Thief and The Demon” as Want to Read:
The Thief and The Demon

The Thief and The Demon

“Bargain with a wizard, or wrestle a lion? Wrestle the lion, my child, for then you have a chance at life. A wizard’s bargain is death.”

Fistmar was living the good life, a successful thief in the glittering city of Aranvail. Then he got cocky.

Now everyone wants him dead. His old Guildmaster, enraged over a theft too far. The duke who believes Fistmar killed his son. The de
Published September 29th 2017 by Roderick Macdonald

To ask other readers questions about The Thief and The Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thief and The Demon

Start your review of The Thief and The Demon
Max Lau • Maxxesbooktopia
“The will of wizards can be thwarted when thousands of years of history shout otherwise. The world beyond these doors is theirs. We are but their agents, their servants, their slaves, though their trick is to not let us see that too clearly. To even speak so is to incur risk. A desperate man makes desperate claims, desperate choices.” – The Thief & The Demon, Roderick T. Macdonald.

I started reading this book back in 2017 but I did not manage to finish it because I thought the pacing was off when
Barb Poelstra
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Macdonald takes readers on an amazingly delightful journey that's packed full of adventure, mystery and intrigue! It all starts off with an adorable, yet troublesome thief who winds up getting himself in way over his head by messing with wizards that end up double crossing him over and over again. Once those wizards get their hooks into you, it's very difficult to get away. As you travel down this path of suspense, Macdonald captivates you with a well-written description of fantastic places that ...more
Angie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cover describes this book as “A World Belt Novel”, and what a world it is. It manages to be effortlessly and recognizably fantastical while also feeling fresh. It feels grounded and real, and the characters in it all have reasons for living and acting as they do. Faced with a demon that wants to kill him, the thief Fistmar, already sentenced to death by a duke, and wanted dead by his thieves guildmaster, has a lot of work to do to survive, and that’s just the set up of the book, and it gets ...more
ewen maclean
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly complex and enthralling first novel. I was totally immersed into the world of demons and wizards. Great escapism, especially if you have a magic tooth!
Cindy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, abandoned
I tried with this one but the pacing was off. So much talking and not enough demon smashing. I may give it another try, but it was pretty slow.
Roderick Macdonald
Sep 30, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author is seems odd to be prompted to review my own book, but here goes...

I wrote this book. I think it is fabulous. I hope you do too, when you read it! Let me, and your fellow readers know what you think - readers' opinions are far more important than this author's now!

But if you want a fast paced, action filled fantasy adventure set in a new and intriguing world, populated with memorable characters, then this really is the book for you.
Francesca Layton

• Black Bird
  • Redder Days
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Anne of Green Gables Collection
  • Chaos Volume 1: Books 1-3
  • Chaos Volume 2: Books 4-6
  • The Stormborn Saga (Stormborn Saga #1-10)
  • Of Sand and Snow (The Wings of War, #5)
  • Shadow Moves: A Military Space Opera Tale
  • The Foreshadowing
  • The Visitor: First Contact SF
  • Winter's Fury (Furyck Saga, #1)
  • Waypoint: A Game of Drones
Hello.

My name is Roderick T. Macdonald. I am a writer of fantasy fiction. I was born Scottish, made American, and am proud of both identities. I grew up in Edinburgh, lived and worked in Glasgow, moved to Denver, and have stayed there ever since for the weather, and the stable tectonics.

I am very happy to meet you, as second hand as this is. I have lived a long time in worlds of my imagination, an

News & Interviews