Start by marking “A Galaxy of Her Own: Amazing Stories of Women in Space” as Want to Read:
A Galaxy of Her Own: Amazing Stories of Women in Space

A Galaxy of Her Own: Amazing Stories of Women in Space

From small steps to giant leaps, A Galaxy of Her Own tells fifty stories of inspirational women who have been fundamental to the story of humans in space, from scientists to astronauts to some surprising roles in between.

From Ada Lovelace in the nineteenth century, to the women behind the Apollo missions, from the astronauts breaking records on the International Space Stat
Hardcover, First, 144 pages
Published November 27th 2017 by Century

To ask other readers questions about A Galaxy of Her Own, please sign up.

Start your review of A Galaxy of Her Own: Amazing Stories of Women in Space
Brian Clegg
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book, even if it probably tries to be too many things to too many people. I wondered from the cover design whether it was a children's book, but the publisher's website (and the back of the book) resolutely refuse to categorise it as such. The back copy doesn't help by saying that it will 'inspire trailblazers and pioneers of all ages.' As I belong to the set 'all ages' I thought I'd give it a go.

Inside are featured the 'stories of fifty inspirational women who have been f
ArwendeLuhtiene
I absolutely loved this book! Written by physicist and engineer for the UK Space Agency Libby Jackson and beautifully illustrated by students of the London College of Communication, this is a selection of 50 women who have been central in the history of human space exploration, including a wide range of women astronauts, pilots, scientists (physicists, mathematicians, chemists, geologists,...), engineers, doctors, nurses, psychologists, teachers, lawyers, politicians, actresses, entrepeneuses, s ...more
Jaz
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a self-confessed space nerd, I'm embarrassed to say I only knew a handful of these women's stories before picking up this book. The author doesn't just limit her coverage to astronauts, like heroic Soviet worker girl parachutist-turned-Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova - the first woman in space - but looks at those with a wider involvement such as Star Trek actor Nichelle Nichols, who campaigned for years to increase the number of BME applicants to the space programme; Mary Sherman Morgan, who ...more
Melanie  Brinkman
Get your mind ready for blastoff!

Who helped us reach the stars? Telling tales of history's forgotten heroes, A Galaxy of Her Own shed light on the lives and accomplishments of fifty incredible women who changed the game. Throughout history women have been making amazing discoveries in and for space. These are a few of their stories.

A collection of fifty women who not only change the world, but everything far, far above us. A book that remembers some of the most remarkable women in space explora
Kathy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a ton of anthologies (normally about women) so I was ready for a bit of a change with this one. Jackson specifically dedicated her anthology to women who have contributed to space exploration and travel, in one way or another. I loved the way she integrated a history of space exploration as a whole, and gave credit where it was due throughout the entire process. The one page summaries, paired with great art from students in London, made reading this a supremely enjoyable experience. This ...more
Molly
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about the history of space travel and was so inspired by these brilliant women's stories.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
This was an awesome book about amazing women who have done amazing things for our knowledge about space! Plus the illustrations are simply wonderful.
Katie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written simply without pretense or complexity for a YA audience but beautiful illustrations and perfect editing make this a great read for all audiences. Inspiring and educational.
Lauren
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read. Appropriate for all ages.
Elektra Lyholm-Raagaard
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so inspiring and empowering. I never knew about nearly anyone in this book, and it was very informative without ever being boring! I never realized that working at a space agency actually could be a reality, thank you for that!
May Ling
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, teen
Summary: Great book for those that are looking for a way to get involved in space as a career or just curious what other women have done in space.

Vlog Review to come Week of Mar 8 where I do a week of books on space, 2020 on Youtube @diary of a speed reader or IG @whereismayling

Key component of this book is the timeline it provides. I think that's really important in getting a sense of the trajectory of what we're doing to get humanity to move forward.

p. 8 I like this timeline of space in the f
Rob O'Hearn
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isaac Newton once noted that every great scientist sees further by standing on the shoulders of giants. A Galaxy of Her Own tells fifty stories of inspirational women who have been fundamental to the story of humans in space, from scientists to astronauts. They are spread through history, from astronomers to mathematicians, engineers to astronauts, and they are vital giants indeed. Libby Jackson is a physicist and engineer for the UK Space Agency and gives each of the fifty subjects a biography ...more
Elizabeth Green
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books celebrates a variety of Women and their impact on space exploration.

Its a shame this book isn't classified as a children's book. My library has shelved it as an adult non- fiction book. That being said I can't help but feel that it is made for children. The book doesn't go into much detail about the science and mathematics that these women contributed to the space exploration.

The illustrations are quite lovely. I knew of about 20 of the women before reading this and I was pleasantly
Leslie
Galaxy Girls is a wonderful nonfiction offering which highlights the lives and contributions of 50 awesome women connected to the world of space exploration. This is a delightful title that I highly recommend for elementary, middle, and high school libraries alike. I really appreciated not only the deeper look into STEM opportunities for women, but also the diversity that Libby Jackson brings to the pages too. Personally, I enjoyed this one as an audio book borrowed from my local library; the na ...more
Nicolle
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous little book! I didn't realize I was picking up a children's book when this popped up on my recommended books list, but I'm glad I listened to it anyway. Of great breadth and little depth, it serves its purpose: to inspire little girls to reach for their dreams. Of course, I spent half of the book kicking myself for abandoning my own dream, but I would definitely recommend it for any young person who has yet to give up on theirs. It was a little difficult to follow along with in i ...more
Kent Archie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew about some of these but most were new storeies to me. For example, I knew how the Apollo Guidance Computer worked and that it used core memory ropes as read-only memory.
But this book talks about the women that made those ropes. Some thing for the women that hat made the space suits. Ihad learned some about the construction of the suits, but not the people behind it.
I recommend it and this would be good bed time stories for kids.
LillyBooks
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The is an excellent collection of women of all sorts who shaped aeronautics. I especially liked that the author thought outside the box and included women who didn't actually travel to space but were essential, such as those that helped formulate food packs and those that designed space suits. I was introduced to several women I was not familiar with and enjoyed learning their stories.
Ari Santillanes
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the way this book is a true labor of love, penned by a spaceflight expert and illustrated by students of illustration and visual media. How awesome to be a student and have your artwork published! What more credible source to present these stories for posterity! Learned about a number of women and space agencies and programs that I had not heard of before.
Ellie Mackin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely history of what straight, cis, able-bodied mostly white American women have contributed to the space program. Sure I learnt things from it and it was interesting but the total lack of acknowledgement on how minorities are being misrepresented and the constant reference to "both genders" ruined it slightly for me.
Trianna/Treereads
4.5/5

I loved how this was illustrated by a group of students, but I would have liked some consistency in the art style.

But, on the other hand I always support getting students involved in projects that relate to art/science.
Charlie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairly enjoyable and interesting read. Loads of stuff I didn’t know, which is always excellent. Do wish that the illustrations had been smaller and there had been more details and information however, though I get the sense it is written for a young audience so maybe that is why.
Alicia M
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun and informative book with beautiful illustrations, telling the stories of some of the most inspirational women in science and other fields. These kinds of books are an important first step to teaching children of some of the amazing things they can do when they grow up.
Sue Chant
An excellent book for kids highlighting women's role in space exploration. It not only includes astonauts and engineers, but also nutritionists and medical practitioners, mathematicians, the seamstresses who sewed space-suits, and many more. Highly recommended.
Artemis Westenberg
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I use this book as reference when discussing women in space with students. It is an inspiring book for young age readers as it gives just the right amount of information to wet their appetite for further reading.
Jessica
So many women = so many contributions to mankind’s understanding of space, as written by one of their own. I also loved the varied portraits accompanying each biography. Should be an inspiration to aspiring young scientists and space enthusiasts alike.
Veta
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, electronic
Cute little bios of women in space, written by a women running her own mission control. What an inspirational pleasure!
Louie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A compelling and thrilling tale of
unknown women forgotten by history who each played an inextricable role in Earth' s journey of exploring space who deserve to be forever remembered.
Zarin Bari
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gonna buy myself this book for sure! Something I can turn back to again and again, especially when I need that extra motivation.
Heather
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book and really enjoyed it!
Kelly
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well-done collection meant to introduce notable women to kids. The art is in a range of styles, but flows well together. These would make great posters.

• Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • The Penguin Book of Outer Space Exploration: NASA and the Incredible Story of Human Spaceflight
  • Herstory: 50 Women and Girls Who Shook Up the World
  • Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World (Women in History Book, Book of Women Who Changed the World)
  • Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • Renegade Women in Film and TV
  • All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • The Shape of Family
  • Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life… Even If You Don’t Want To
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Say Her Name
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight