Start by marking “The Hellfire Club” as Want to Read:
The Hellfire Club

The Hellfire Club

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  5,907 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
They are dying, one by one. Wealthy, middle-aged women in an exclusive Connecticut suburb. Their murderer remains at large. Nora Chancel, wife of publishing scion Davey Chancel, fears she may be next. After all, her past has branded her a victim . . . .

Then Davey tells Nora a surreal story about the Hellfire Club, where years before he met an obsessed fan of Chancel House
Published 1996 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Hellfire Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hellfire Club

Holly
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
My first Peter Straub novel and I loved it! Great read. I loved the story, and the characters were very well written. Highly recommended.

Edit: Just remembered that this was not my first PS novel. Lol
Lanie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in the late 90s. I remembered it as a fascinating mystery about an imaginary book. However, I reading it again I found both the book within the book and the mystery less interesting than I thought.

This time around it seemed to be about the different ways men abuse women. Some of the scenes of abuse are intensely disturbing.

The main character is Nora Chancel, middle aged, menopausal, everybody's victim. We see her suffer the bullying of her father in law, the carelessly cruelty
Maciek
Althought the title suggest much, there is virtually nothing about the titular club in The Hellfire Club. It's one of many interesting themes which Straub piles one on another, but it is never really developed. The real star of this show is a book called Night Journey and a woman named Nora Chancel.

Almost baroque in in the excess of character, themes and plot threads that run through it, The Hellfire Club attempts to be many things but doesn't really succeed at any of them. A book about books, s
Quill
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Basics

Nora lives in an upscale suburb where it just so happens a serial killer is on the loose. The latest disappearance of a woman who leaves a blood-drenched bedroom behind has Nora more embroiled in these killings than she ever wanted to be. And it makes her a new target.

My Thoughts

That’s a really bad attempt at “The Basics" up there. Because all that was definitely true. The book is about a woman named Nora who comes face-to-face with a serial killer who makes her life hell. It’s also a
Bandit
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the heels of the author's really good novella Special Place, I was interested in checking out a full length novel of his. This might not have been the one to start with, but it was available at the library, so I read it. If I didn't know the two were written by the same author, I never would have guessed. Where one is succinct, the other one is verbose (and not just because of the difference in format), it just seemed like completely different writers. Hellfire Club is an exhausting read and ...more
Ignacio Senao f
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No terror. Sí explicitad: follar y matar.

Cuanta la vida de la parejita ideal que no es lo que aparenta. Ella amargada, él hijo de editor famoso y que escribió la NOVELA, la cual cambia el mundo por su calidad.
Ella se aburre y con la ayuda de un asesino al que creen que es ella. Hará que se escape y busque quien escribió realmente ese libro que su marido supuestamente escribió. Y ese viaje lo realizara a veces con un asesino, a veces con un acosador y muchas veces gente rara.

Straub es un perver
Dany Wilson
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well where to start? WOW! What a journey this book was!

Very-well written! It was my first book by Peter Straub and really had no clue at all who he was... I only knew he was a close friend and collaborator of Stephen King, and thought to my self "gosh another author who writes a book once a week about anything without any real sense" (p.s.: sorry for all of the King's fans).
The real reason why I wanted to read this book was because of an tv episode of the UK show "Most Haunted". The episode was
Rob
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straub's novel is technically written superbly. His prose is clean and never calls attention to or gets in the way of his intricate plotting and sensory details. He really shows he can develop scenes that seamlessly compliment each other as a congruent whole. The writing never stacks up, but flows, which builds the suspense of this mystery story. The villain of the story is sketched to full evil. Hellfire Club proves that Peter Straub knows the craft of writing.
Shannon
Mar 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this. I know I’m loosing the taste for certain genres, but I don’t think that was the whole reason I dropped it. It just didn’t read like Straub. The beginning did, because as always he loads us up with a whole lotta characters to juggle at once and try to figure out. But then the story just isn’t… good enough. It’s not… preternatural enough. It’s not… enough. Maybe next time.
Pandora Black
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
C'est bien, mais l'intrigue est pas mal alambiquée et met du temps avant d'avancer et surtout, l'héroïne est un peu du genre paillasson et victime à répétition... heureusement elle finit par se secouer à la fin.
  • Silent Children
  • Endless Night
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • Children of the Night
Peter Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 2 March, 1943, the first of three sons of a salesman and a nurse. The salesman wanted him to become an athlete, the nurse thought he would do well as either a doctor or a Lutheran minister, but all he wanted to do was to learn to read.

When kindergarten turned out to be a stupefyingly banal disappointment devoted to cutting animal shapes out of heavy
More about Peter Straub...
“She had been like a roller coaster aficionado for whom tame county fair roller coasters were as good as the ones that spun you upside down and dropped you so fast your eyes turned red. It was all just a ride.” 1 likes