Start by marking “Bonjour Girl” as Want to Read:
Bonjour Girl

Bonjour Girl

(Bonjour Girl #1)

Dating, fashion, and drama: Clementine never has a dull day at the Parsons School of Design.

When Clementine Liu arrives in New York City to study at the Parsons School of Design, she knows that she’s found
her place. It isn’t long before she meets her fashionista soulmate, the loud and charismatic Jake, and Jonathan, a dreamy fashion photographer who turns her world upside
Published August 25th 2018 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about Bonjour Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonjour Girl

Start your review of Bonjour Girl
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This low rating is not because I don’t like fashion. This low rating is not because I don’t like YA. THis low rating is not because I don’t like multicultural stories.

No, this low rating is for reasons that have nothing to do with any of the above.

First of all, Clementine, the BonJour Girl, grew up in Paris, France, with her French mother, and Chinese father. I presume she is trilingual, French, English and Chinese, but I find it off-putting when she uses expressions that are very American. I wo
Kayla
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

In this book we follow Clementine and the novel follows her at fashion designing school in New York.
It's all about her Trials and tribulations in designing clothes and her love life.

Following Clementine was such a fun ride. She is clever and smart and super funny. Her point of view is so funny and cute.

The relationships between her and Jonathan and eve
Alice
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
With all the Mean Girl references and perfect world of no body shaming and all, this book is certainly not one of my favorites.
The main character did not seem very relatable or sympathetic, and I wanted more growth from her. I felt like Clementine was portrayed as condescending, and she seemed a lot younger than a college sophomore. The trouble is that the main character does not sound realistic.
It also seems that apart from the cyberbullying, everything in the book world is perfect.
The book is
Melissa
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Isabelle Lafleche's previous novels from her J'adore series and was excited to see that she wrote something new, even though she went in a new direction.

Bonjour Girl was an entertaining story with interesting premise. I enjoyed getting to know Clementine. She showed a lot of restraint for someone who was being cyber bullied so often. Her friendship with Jake was a lot of fun. I also loved seeing things develop between Clementine and Jonathan.

I'm not much of a fashion person, so the n
Amy Leigh
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was cute and intense with bullying. It was very well written and I loved seeing each character emerge and stand up for what is right not what is easy. Bullying has taken an intense turn from picking on people to ruining their lives and this is an important read for anyone dealing with cyber bullying. 3.5/5 stars.

Clementine is French/Chinese and comes from a very successful line of women in the entertainment industry. She grows up believing a girl can do anything and she wants to be a f
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a digital arc in exchange for an honest Review!

This story revolves around bullying which Clementine who is Chinese/French and her friends faced. This book is loaded with fashion and celebrities references and I didn’t get most of them. The topic of the book was inspirational as well as Clementine’s aim.

I didn’t get why every relationship in this book was too quick, what was the hurry? Love, Friendship or Hate everything was too quick. That is one of the
Ramya (Idea Smith)
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review and here it is: This book did not work for me at all. The trouble is that the main character does not sound realistic. For a book about a teenager, written in first person, it reads more like her mother's rules/fantasy of what a perfect daughter is like, complete with the moralising. Politically correct statements are dropped every few lines (no body-shaming, hard work wins all, etc. etc.). 19 year old aspiring fashion journalist ...more
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
DNF at page 50.

The characters are so unrealistic in this book. I had high hopes for it, but it is not for me.
Valentina Markasović
Thank you, Net Galley, for providing me with a free copy of this e-book!

The book was fine. It's a Young Adult novel about bullying, following your dreams, and standing up for what's right. The message is clear and it is a nice message to convey. I especially liked how it accentuates the need for inclusion and diversity in the fashion world, as that is still a pertinent problem not just in the clothes brands, but make-up, too (see the recent Tarte scandal).

The heroine was actually a surprise. She
Eve beinguniquebooks
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clementine, half French and half Chinese, now runs a blog all about fashion and attends New York's Parsons school of design staying with her cousin Maddie. At Parsons, she meets Stella a fellow fan of colour clothing unlike most Parsons students, Jake, a fellow fashionista who stands up for her when someone acts meanly towards her and Jonathan a cute photographer whom her cousin introduces her to.

With her scholarship she affords to start her blog but it soon sours from a dream as she starts rece
Yo gurl Alaa
Jun 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNFed

This book is very stereotypical. The MC didn't come across as French, but read more as an American teenager who uses French words. She also came off as young and immature.

The writing style annoyed me. It is the total opposite of "Show don't tell". I am kept being told by Clementine that she promotes for diversity and body positivity, but then says that tall and slim people are not real people XD

"There are so many issues to be addressed, like body shaming and the negative way clothing is ad
Jinghay (these.blank.pages)
I wasn't really enjoying the book so far so I've decided to dnf it.

Don't get me wrong, i quite liked the concept of the book but.. everything just felt a little too perfect and glamours for me. The main character wasn't relatable at all and I mainly read this because it was supposed to be "diverse" with Clementine being both French and Chinese, but that didn't really come across to me.

If you're a big fan of fashion and like hearing about other people's outfits then you'd probably like this boo
Kat
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#NetGalley #BonjourGirl
Thank you so much to Dundurn Publishing and NetGalley for the E-ARC copy of Bonjour Girl!
What a refreshing book! Bonjour Girl wasn't anything like I expected. It is well written and touches on many current issues for teens and young adults. The topic of cyber bullying is so prominent right now. I love how the author uses the subject in the plot while giving Clementine ways to empower herself to deal with it. Not only does she learn how to navigate it, but learning about di
Michelle
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher (thank you!) in return for an honest review

Welp, this one was a disappointment. I was SO excited to see I got approved for Bonjour Girl because:

- LOOK AT THAT COVER! Cute AND rep? Yes please
- A biracial (half-Chinese!) protagonist??
- It's all about diversity in fashion and making a change??
- It just sounded like a cute contemporary on top of all of that and I LOVE CUTE CONTEMPO
Kat (Bookish Blades)
Thank you to Netgalley and Dundurn for providing me with a copy of this book.

I’ll start with the story. What I really liked was that it featured diversity in fashion. Clementine’s blog features ill people and those who help them. For example Jake, who makes fashion for disabled people. There are fashion bloggers mentioned, who for example sit in a wheelchair or have illnesses that make their hair fall out. The story features people from all over the world as well. That’s probably what I liked mo
Dani
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Merci pour cette copie advanceé! Thanks to NetGalley & Dundurn Press for this advanced copy of Bonjour Girl.

Rating; 3.5/5 Stars.

First off, I loved this cover. I think its stunning and the quirkiness of it fits the main character well. I also really like the multiethnic (French and Chinese) main character. As someone who is multiethnic it's awesome to read about main characters who remind me a bit of myself. I am also a fashionista who devours Vogue, Teen Vogue, and lots of other fashion mags so
Isha
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
From the description, this book is totally up my alley. Unfortunately, it just fell flat. From the very beginning, I absolutely hated the writing style. There were so many comparisons that were just cringeworthy and seemed immature. Majority of the characters were stereotypical, even though they had the ability to be very unique and stand out. Even Clementine, our main character, left me uninterested. She's supposed to be an exchange student from Paris, but she talks and acts like an American.

An
Shannon
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn't a huge fan of this book. While it does have many redeeming qualities, such as having very diverse characters, I just couldn't really get into it. There is a lot to do with fashion in the book which is not an interest of mine at all, so I imagine that is why the book didn't really catch my attention. I actually got slightly annoyed by the detailed descriptions of what every character was wearing, when I really just wanted the story to move along. The author's writing is good and I did li ...more
Audrey (Warped Shelves)

This review is based on an ARC of Bonjour Girl which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher (Dundurn).

This book... Bonjour Girl was such a pain to get through. Between rolling my eyes, trying not to punch myself in the face at the sheer idiocy of it all, and skimming the last 60%, I managed to finish this trainwreck in a single day, just so that I wouldn't have to prolong my torture. The best way to break this book down is through pros and cons, so here goes:

PROS
--The cove
Dora Okeyo
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Clementine a.k.a Clem is the new student at Parsons in New York and she's all about Fashion. Well, here's what I thought as I read the book: it's got a great premise, and a promising storyline of friendship, bullying and perseverance. I liked how the author tried to incorporate a variety of characters while somehow still sticking to the cliché that the world of fashion can be so mean.
I got this off NetGalley and if you're looking for a short story about a teen girl who simply wanted to find her
Bernadett
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
i got my copy from netgalley.
the book features a chinese-french girl who wants to make it big. bullying is also a way of attention even if it isnt the nicest compliment to do so, some believe every attention is good attention when you want to make a name for yourself and for our main girl Clementine is essential to have thick skin. I liked the cute way its written and the show not tell rule kept in mind. it was a very good book and its a perfect summer read while traveling.
Tiina
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that would be inspirational to so many teenagers of today's world who are interested in fashion. It was easy to read and text simply flowed. It's the book that got me out of my reading slump and because of that, I will give it a higher rating than I probably would give it under normal circumstances.

I loved this book. I loved the story and the whole concept, Cécile's book and its influence. However, I found the characters to be too off. I found Jonathan to be too perfect
Roubeeni Mohan (bookish_owl06)
Disclaimer: NetGalley provided me with this e-ARC in return for my honest review.

“Spoken words fly away, but written words remain.”

My Thoughts
Realistic, Easy and Sassy! Say Bonjour to your Bonjour Girl Clementine.

Clementine, a fresher at the Parsons School of design seems to have it all in life, but she has her own demons that she needs to fight.

She moves to the Big Apple to get a fresh start, where life seems like a fairy tale, but soon she’s to learn that people are not what they seem to be. S
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having written the J'Adore series, Bonjour Girl is author Isabelle Lafleche's first foray into Young Adult writing. It's the start of a series revolving around Clementine Liu, who travels to New York City to study at the Parsons School of Design and start her path as a fashion journalist/blogger. Always a fan of moving to New York stories, I was excited to get my hands on a copy. I have been provided an ARC by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Bonjour Girl hits the ground runnin
Kelsey Buriedinabook_k Lehman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I liked the concept of this story! Fashion, New York, and a popular teen topic make this book interesting. Taking a topic like cyber bullying and getting to see how Clementine handles it is refreshing. We make poor judgements but we don't have to turn it into a revenge plot. I really liked that about this book. And seeing all these characters work towards something they love is beautiful.

However, it felt younger than Y/A At times. Some times the characters we too childish for me with the way the
MerliannsCam
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookshelf, read-2018
⭐⭐⭐ (3.5 stars)
I received this book from Net Gally (e-book) in exchange for an honest opinion
I really enjoyed reading. It was a pleasant reading.
I liked the personages and the way the author did unroll the story
I want in the future without doubt to read more books of the author
Read this book please :)
Nicole(Newbookcats)
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
1/5 stars

One rainy day, I thought that if I picked up what seemed to be a cute contemporary, then everything would get better. Long story shortened: It did not.

Bonjour Girl sounds like a typical happy contemporary. It has the typical story of a girl going to a foreign city, in this case, New York City, and meets a guy who makes her insides feel like melted cheese.* Of course, there is a lot more as Clementine, the main character, is a fashion-blogger, all around clothing-hunter, and from French/
Elnora Romness
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
DISCLAIMER: A copy of the book was given to me in return for a fair and honest review, which follows!

REVIEW

Take a girl fascinated, enthralled, totally enraptured by fashion and put her in New York at one of the most prestigious fashion school around...and add social media.

LONG STORY SHORT

Clementine is a promising young woman in the world of fashion. After all, as the grand daughter of a famous fashionista of her own time, it runs in her blood. Following some disaster in her personal life back
Gmr
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Devil Wears Prada prepared you for the cutthroat world of the Fashion Industry...but did you ever stop to think where those same people got their start?

Clementine Liu knows all too well about the fans and fanatics, the competition and those that will go to the extreme to get what they want...and she's only in college. Yeah, college! Grant it, it IS the school to end all school's when it comes ot wanting access to the best of the best in the industry, but really...MUST we sharpen our nails on
Robin Owens
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-arc! This has not swayed my opinion at all.

If the fact that it took me so long to read this book is any indication, this book wasn't my fave.

I really enjoyed the story and characters of this book. Each character had a really specific personality, style, and view. The real world references were really cool, though I was taken aback by how specific some of the references (particularly the references to particular songs) because it really dated the bo
« previous 1 3 next »

• Les coeurs fidèles
  • S'envoler, presque
  • En route vers nowhere
  • Voler de ses propres ailes (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #9)
  • Pretending
  • Little Eyes
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Rentrer son ventre et sourire
  • Ton absence m'appartient
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Love Songs & Other Lies
  • La grosse laide
  • La théorie du drap contour
  • Ceux de là-bas
  • Un coeur en cage
  • L’allégorie des truites arc-en-ciel
  • La fois où j'ai écrit un livre
  • Crève avec moi
Hello!

So thrilled to meet you!

In addition to being a writer, I'm a tarot reader, yogi, and fashion lover. All of my books talk about fashion because it's been one of my passions since childhood.

Previously, I worked for over ten years as a lawyer before giving up my career to write. In 2005, I was responsible for the business affairs of a fashion designer where I developed a penchant for couture.

Bonjour Girl (2 books)
  • Bonjour Shanghai (Bonjour Girl  #2)