Start by marking “Spurgeon on the Christian Life: Alive in Christ (Theologians on the Christian Life)” as Want to Read:

Spurgeon on the Christian Life: Alive in Christ

(Theologians on the Christian Life)

Charles Spurgeon, widely hailed as the “Prince of Preachers,” is well known for his powerful preaching, gifted mind, and compelling personality. Over the course of nearly four decades at London’s famous New Park Street Chapel and Metropolitan Tabernacle, Spurgeon preached and penned words that continue to resonate with God’s people today.

Organized around the main beliefs

Published February 20th 2018 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about Spurgeon on the Christian Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spurgeon on the Christian Life

Matt
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable.
David Steele
Spurgeon on the Christian Life by Michael Reeves is the latest installment in the Crossway Series, Theologians on the Christian Life. This excellent book covers some basic biographical information on the Prince of Preachers. He is rightly described as a man who “went at all of life full-on.” Spurgeon was a man of “deep affections.” Reeves is quick to characterize Spurgeon as a man of deep joy and God-centered wisdom.

Spurgeon was a man who possessed a strong reverence for Christ and his Word. A f
Peter Mead
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely superb. Mike Reeves does an amazing job of letting Spurgeon do the talking, while helping the reader to be profoundly blessed by the message of the book. Well-researched, well-written, life-stirring. This is an easy read and it will burn through highlighter pens!
Becky Pliego
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michael Reeves does a great job in giving us a good overview of Spurgeon's view on the most important things in life. Really enjoyable.
Mark
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This looks to be a fantastic series, but I've only read Mike Reeves' volume on Spurgeon so far. What could be more central for a believer than understanding the key features of the Christian life, and what could be more important than grasping what great thinkers of the past have made of it?

Spurgeon is already a personal hero and this book only serves to deepen that appreciation. Reeves offers a comprehensive and erudite (from my novice perspective as one who has not studied Spurgeon in depth) a
Becky
First sentence: Crowds lined the streets, hoping to catch a glimpse of the olivewood casket as it made its way through the streets of south London.

Spurgeon on the Christian Life by Michael Reeves is one of the books in Crossway's Theologians on the Christian Life series. It is divided into four parts: "Charles Spurgeon," "Christ The Center," "The New Birth," and "The New Life." It blends the formats of biography and theology. Readers learn a bit about Charles Spurgeon--his life and the times in
Craig Turnbull
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This great little read features one of my favorite subjects (Spurgeon) by one of my favorite writers (Reeves) and was a pleasure to read. As always Reeves makes his subject matter approachable and compelling, and creates a book you’d be happy to pass along to a believer at any stage. Balancing academic depth with language that normal human beings speak, he’s hit another home run with this book.

As the series indicates, the books within briefly track biographical information with theological insig
George Lucas
The book "Spurgeon on the Christian Life" brings an encouragement to a fully satisfied Christian life in God using the example of Spurgeon's life.
Michael Reeves separates chapters into topics of theology (such as Christ's Person, Calvinism, Preaching, New Birth, Sin), introduces Spurgeon's view of that topic, and then how that knowledge made a difference in his life.
Spurgeon, known as the "Prince of Preachers", had the centrality of his preaching the person of Christ. Reeves says:

"Spurgeon prefe
Kevin
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This simply is an amazing book. It seemed as if each chapter just built upon the previous until I was so high that I could touch the glory of God, Christ my Savior. I cannot recommend this more highly. Buy this. Read this. Soak this.
E
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this work--one of the best in the series. Reeves really makes Spurgeon's sparkling personality and love of God come alive. He effectively communicates Spurgeon's passion for preaching, theology, and prayer. There are thousands of Spurgeon sermons in print, and I doubt Reeves has read every single one of them, but he still gets to the essence of Spurgeon's ministry. Great addition to a revitalized series (Lewis and Lloyd-Jones coming out later this year!).
christina
N.B. This blogger received a complimentary PDF of this book from Crossway in exchange for an honest review.

Introduction to Charles Spurgeon
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892) was an English Baptist pastor in the Reformed theological camp. Both his Baptist and Reformed convictions grew out of his study of the Scriptures and not allegiance to a human teacher or theological system. Although some reading this may not recognize his name, his renown and the reach of his writings were arguably as broad
Dayo Adewoye
*Why bother about someone who lived about two centuries ago? As the preface to the ‘Theologians on the Christian Life’ series, of which the book under review is a part, points out, studying past theologians and believers gives us perspective:

“We tend to lack the perspectives from the past, perspectives from a different time and place than our own. To put the matter differently, we have so many riches in our current horizon that we tend not to look to the horizons of the past.”

Hence, a look at an
Stefanie Sugia
"The motto of all true servants of God must be, 'We preach Christ, and him crucified.' A sermon without Christ in it is like a loaf of bread without any flour in it. No Christ in your sermon, sir? Then go home, and never preach again until you have something worth preaching."
This book is part of a series called Theologians on the Christian Life—in which different authors will write about famous theologians to help us learn from great teachers of church history. This series intends to give us wis
Ashley Baker
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michael Reeves' book Spurgeon on the Christian Life: Alive in Christ focuses on the heart of Spurgeon's ministry in general and his private devotion to Christ in particular. Reeves calls to the reader to follow Spurgeon's example— “Look to Christ.” Isaiah 45:22 says it perfectly, “Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth.” While other books rightly champion Spurgeon's ministry Reeves provides a wonderful contribution to the field by urging the reader to see the centrality of Chri ...more
Confex Makhalira
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is my humble estimation that Charles Haddon Spurgeon is one of the most gifted preachers of the post Reformation era. His sermons still come alive when read today. It is little wonder then that many have labeled him the prince of preachers and deservedly so. But who was this man? Apart from his preaching what else can a Christian learn from his life and ministry? What did he teach and believe about the Christian life in this fallen world?

These are some of the key questions that Michael Reeves
Nicole
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of “Charles Spurgeon on the Christian Life” from Crossway in exchange for a review. I enjoyed this book so much. It’s from a series called Theologians on the Christian Life. I’ve never read a biography on Spurgeon or any of his books. This isn’t a biography, though it does give you a nice intro to the man. After telling you a little about him, it dives into what he taught about different things concerning the Christian life like the Bible and Christ, baptism, sin and grace ...more
David Taylor
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crossway's book Spurgeon on the Christian Life by Michael Reeves is a superb read into the life and theology of the Prince of Preachers.

Like other books in the series, edited by Stephen Nichols, Reeves introduces the man and theologian, Charles H. Spurgeon, by giving a background on his life and what he meant to his community. He describes Spurgeon as a man who was full of life and passionate for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The remainder of the book goes into the theology and ministry methods and
Adam T.
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is a personal favorite of mine. Spurgeon himself stands as one of my personal heroes of the faith. These two together is a dynamite combination. Reeves provides an encouraging overview of Spurgeon's life and thought and does a great job of letting Spurgeon speak for himself. Spurgeon is probably the most quotable figure in history with his direct style and sharp mind. I desire to read "An All Around Ministry," after reading this book due to the consistently amazing content that was q ...more
Wes Van Fleet
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series has continually encouraged me in my doctrine and life. Michael Reeves does such a phenomenal job holding up the life of Spurgeon in a way the truly encompasses the subtitle: Alive to Christ. Whether it is surveying his Christ-centered hermeneutics and preaching, helping us see God’s good hand in suffering, or pulling back the blinds on the glory of God in Heaven, this book is worth your time and money as it will increase your affections in Christ.
Matthew Lloyd
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a great overview of the life and thoughts of Charles Spurgeon, this is an excellent work. Sure, it pulls from a lot of his work and can be difficult to trace the sources, but you will understand at a greater depth the mind of Spurgeon. It’s written in an easy to understand way that would be of great value to any reader.
James Shrimpton
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. Just marvelous. Reeves does a great job of letting Spurgeon speak for himself. It is a great introduction to a great man and it made me sorry that I have read so little of Spurgeon. Challenging, heart-warming and profound. Well worth the read.
Robin
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Loved all of Reeves' other books I have read and Spurgeon was very formative in my first few years as a follower of Christ, so I was really excited to dig into this edition in the Theologians on the Christian life series. However, it didn't hit my heart as I hoped. It is still an excellent volume!
Nick Roark
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!
Simen
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has given me a lot of joy. The writing flows effortlessly and the quoting of Spurgeon is superb so that he speaks himself throughout the book. I’ll be recommending this book to all Christians because it is joy filled and Christ centred.
Todd Burgett
Sep 09, 2018
Terry Feix
Mar 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
He is also theological advisor for Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship (UCCF), a charity supporting evangelism in higher education throughout the United Kingdom. He was previously associate minister at All Souls Church, Langham Place and holds a doctorate in systematic theology from King’s College London.

Theologians on the Christian Life (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Augustine on the Christian Life: Transformed by the Power of God
  • Bavinck on the Christian Life: Following Jesus in Faithful Service
  • Bonhoeffer on the Christian Life: From the Cross, for the World
  • Calvin on the Christian Life: Glorifying and Enjoying God Forever
  • Edwards on the Christian Life: Alive to the Beauty of God (Theologians on the Christian Life)
  • Luther on the Christian Life: Cross and Freedom
  • Newton on the Christian Life: To Live Is Christ (Theologians on the Christian Life)
  • Owen on the Christian Life: Living for the Glory of God in Christ
  • Packer on the Christian Life: Knowing God in Christ, Walking by the Spirit
  • Schaeffer on the Christian Life: Countercultural Spirituality (Theologians on the Christian Life)
“it is especially the love of God shown in the cross that turns and transforms the hearts of sinners. In the horrifying torture and crucifixion of Jesus we see the highest proof of the highest love.41 His bleeding makes our hearts bleed, and his shame makes us ashamed. In the cross we see a divine disgust at sin that makes sin appalling in our eyes too.42 But further, through the cross we see a love so livid that it pierces our apathy and overwhelms our desire for other things. Sinners, Spurgeon said, are naturally held back from God by lack of desire for him; “but the cross will breed desire. They are held back by love of sin; but the cross will make them hate the sin that crucified the Saviour.”43 The cross is the quintessence of that love which makes us love (1 John 4:19).” 0 likes