Start by marking “The Afterlife of Holly Chase” as Want to Read:
The Afterlife of Holly Chase

The Afterlife of Holly Chase

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  3,075 Ratings  ·  882 Reviews
Holly Chase has the job of saving souls, but it is her own that she realizes needs examining.
On Christmas Eve five years ago, Holly was visited by three ghosts who showed her how selfish and spoiled she'd become. They tried to convince her to mend her ways.
She didn't.
And then she died.
Now she's stuck working for the top-secret company Project Scrooge-as the latest Ghost of
Published October 23rd 2017 by HarperCollins - AU

To ask other readers questions about The Afterlife of Holly Chase, please sign up.
Elizabeth Yes. I really liked it. I did not think I would because the girl is super rich and all about tweeting and social media and worldliness, but then she…moreYes. I really liked it. I did not think I would because the girl is super rich and all about tweeting and social media and worldliness, but then she dies and it gets very interesting. (less)

Emily May
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, 2017
Everyone started sniffling at that point. Everyone, that is, except me. I never did the crying thing. It would have ruined my makeup.

I actually really enjoyed this. I went into it expecting a classic Scrooge story: a deep, meaningful tale about learning the error of your ways and becoming a better person through love of your fellow man (i.e. in this case, hot dude), but you should know - this is actually a very light, silly, feel-good book.

I definitely didn’t expect to like this as much as I
Emma Giordano
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I know Christmas was yesterday and a lot of y’all are probably not interested in just now starting a new Christmas story but you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. This book completely took me by surprised. I had no idea I would love it as much as I did, but it totally blew me away.

I really loved the concept of this book (the synopsis does not do it justice). 17 year old terrible girl is visited by three spirits who show her her past, present and future if she does not change her way (Yes, it is an A Christma
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
3.5*
Fun and quirky, a real festive story! I got a little lost along the way but ended up enjoying myself in the end.
Lola
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I cannot believe Cynthia Hand wrote this book. Someone please tell me it’s actually a ghostwriter, because I can’t bring myself to imagine the author of the magnificent Unearthly series and co-author of hilarious My Lady Jane really writing this book full of clichés.

You’d think there wouldn’t be this many, given the original premise of a secret Christmas organization with the goal of ridding the planet of Scrooges. But oh, the characters are so stereotypical.

Actually, I expected Holly Chase to
Heather 'Bookables'
4.5/5

Wow...I was not expecting to like this...at all. I heard so many negative/mixed things about it so I went into it expecting to hate it. I ended up really enjoying it, loving it even.

If your a fan of Hand's books, this is NOT like her Unearthly trio. It's written more like her work in My Lady Jane, which I loved by the way. It's full of sarcasm, dry humor and wit. Very funny with some depth and the ending---loved!

I thoroughly enjoy it & it's a perfect Christmas read but you could read th
Cynthia Hand
Feb 08, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
We have a cover! Head on over to www.cynthiahandbooks.com to check it out!
Dania
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas Carol retelling done beautifully! I couldn't expect anything less from Cynthia Hand. After reading My Dear Jane, I fell in love with her style of writing, and The Afterlife of Holly Chase was no different. It was unlike anything I have ever read before. It was a little bizarre reading this book in May, but I definitely can't wait for Christmas!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
It was good!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Lori
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of A Christmas Carol staring a perfectly heinous teenager as Scrooge. I kept thinking she was in purgatory after she died. I don't remember Dante having a section for people stuck at one point in their adolescence. I for one would sincerely repent whatever offense that I had committed.
Karen Barber
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seems weird reading this in May, when the book isn't due until October, but I must thank edelweiss for giving me the opportunity to read this early.
There's very few people that will not be familiar with the story of Scrooge and his shot at redemption. With untold students having to study 'A Christmas Carol for GCSE I can see this being an interesting companion piece.
So, in this story we begin with Holly Chase showing us - in full glory - why she's so deeply unpleasant. The knowing nods to Dicken
Carly Aikin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now MY FAVORITE BOOK, and I didn't think I could love it more than Cynthia Hand's Unearthly series. Had to check this out from a friend who got an early copy.

I cried my eyes out!!! Loved the love story at the heart of this supernatural and often really funny book. It starts out so much fun and builds to this beautifully heartbreaking conclusion.

Holly Chase is your classic LA bitchy girl who on Christmas Eve is given the chance to repent but tells the ghost to take a hike. Then she dies.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
BITCH, OKAY. I was ready to give this book maybe a 4.5, but THAT. ENDING??? I'd be lying to myself if I gave it any lower a rating.

I think this review will be filled with me not only praising this book, but Cynthia Hand herself, being that she's one of my favorite YA authors ever. Her Unearthly series will always remain close to my heart.

Before reading this book, I was fully convinced that I'd seen or heard of every Christmas Carol adaptation under the sun, but this one was really interesting.
Lisa
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves the Christmas Carol and YA readers
Recommended to Lisa by: I received an advanced reader copy for review.
Holly Chase is the very definition of a Scrooge and every Scrooge deserves a second chance. Fun YA retelling of the classic Christmas Carol with a few great plot twists that I never expected.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I honestly don't know a single person who doesn't speak highly of Cynthia Hand. I've been her fan ever since Unearthly, Tucker is one of my favorite book boyfriends and I've read all of her books.

I'm also really liking her new approach to ya literature. She always comes up with something unique and really out there. Her work still has her signature charm.

Even though The Afterlife of Holly Chase is her shortest book yet, I didn't think it was lacking in any way.
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: October 24, 2017

2.5 stars. I do like Cynthia Hand's other books and think she's a talented author, but this really was not a story for me. I think middle schoolers and the younger YA crowd might enjoy it more! Honestly, I found most of the story to be either cringeworthy or cliche & dull. Like I was actually cringing and didn't want to keep reading. Obviously the main character needed to start out super obnoxious in order to change by the end, but even the love interest was the
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me a Christmas book any time of year! This is my first time reading a book by Hand, though she seems to be well known based on other reviews of this book. Can't wait to read more from her. Anyway, this book was a pretty neat YA take on a classic Christmas story. If that's your thing, I recommend it! Note: I won this in a goodreads giveaway.
Natalie Monroe

Because The Afterlife of Holly Chase was published in October instead of December, I thought this gif especially appropriate.

Ready? Sing along with me now!

On the twelfth day of Christmas Cynthia Hand sent to me:
12 helpings of warm fuzzies
11 Dickens references
10 pop culture nods
9 scoops of light-hearted fun
8 bundles of holly-wrapped Christmas Spirit
Some unlikable characters that change
and remind me of a protag I wrote once
5 well-written platonic relationships
4 feminist quips
3 plot twists
2 romant
Yelania Nightwalker
Mi reseña más cerca de la fecha de publicación, junto con un sorteo por una copia avanzada de lectura de esta novela.
Erin
God Bless us, every one!

Confession time: I love Christmas! I love everything about Christmas, the music, the movies, the books, the lights, the food, not to mention the reason for the season Jesus.

I know some people think Christmas doesn't start until after Thanksgiving but....

Fuck them!

I've been listening to Christmas music since the second week of October.

Now on to the review.

The Afterlife of Holly Chase is an irreverent new take on the Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol. Our main char
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was cute! Not the best thing I've ever read, but I can definitely see myself re-reading this for future Christmases.
Louisa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book! Holly was a Scrooge, and yeah, while she isn't the worst they could be, it was pretty bad, and I enjoyed reading her story!
Natasha
If this was a Korean drama, I can guarantee you that Holly will end up happily ever after with that gorgeous Ethan despite the whole Scrooge set up being so crazy and illogical. But alas..no matter how hard I ship them, that ending although a happy one kind of felt bittersweet for me.
Trista
I am a huge fan of Cynthia Hand, she's never disappointed me with one of her books, and this one kept that streak alive. It was a re-telling of A Christmas Carol and I enjoyed seeing other Dickens' works tied in to this one, with some of the characters having names like Havisham and Dorrit. The book was short, her shortest one yet, and it ended up being a very quick read. It could easily be read in a night, sipping hot chocolate by the fireplace(or in bed, or wherever someone wants to read).

Thi

“I had to see him again. The question was, how?”

This was a YA Christmas story, about a girl who acted like a Scrooge.

Holly was an interesting character, although her motives weren’t always good. She wasn’t the best employee either, and she did sometimes act like everything was about her.

The storyline in this started with Holly being employed as the ghost of Christmas past, after being warned by the ghosts h
Julie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-read
what a twist with the Dicken's A Christmas Carol. Great cast and nice to see some romance. I liked her friends that she worked with during this year's Scrooge.
Kate
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
An adorable, sarcastic, heartwarming holiday read! As anxious as I am to enjoy the upcoming Fall season, this very modern take on A Christmas Carol (meets Dead Like Me) has totally put me in the mood for the winter holidays!
Alyshia
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Flanagin
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
Thank you edelweiss.com for allowing me to read a netgalley of The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand.

I turly enjoyed this retelling of A Christmas Carol by Dickens. It was fun and interesting.

I actually enjoyed Holly as a character. I liked the fact that she didn't learn her lesson and therefore had to become part of the program. I also liked that she kept her personality throughout the whole book.

All in all it was a fun book
Daniel
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful reimagining of a Christmas Carol, but set in modern-day America with a spirited, but also lonely and sometimes resentful Holly Chase as our Scrooge. Holly begins as Scrooges always do, with nastiness toward those closest to her and a sense of entitlement and superiority. How she ends, however, is another matter.

What I loved most about this book was its author's ability to seem to be speaking directly to the reader. By the end, I was in tears over the simple and evocative mess
♥!The Young Adult...: The Afterlife of Holly Chase 2 41 Jan 27, 2018 02:42PM
The Circle: The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand 10 20 Dec 26, 2017 03:51PM
Cynthia Hand is the New York Times bestselling author of several books for teens, including the UNEARTHLY trilogy, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE, MY LADY JANE (with fellow authors Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows), THE AFTERLIFE OF HOLLY CHASE, and the upcoming novel MY PLAIN JANE (also with Ashton and Meadows). Before turning to writing for young adults, she studied literary fiction and earned both a ...more
“Stories let us see and hear and feel what someone else does,” she explained. “They build bridges to the other islands. That’s why stories are so important. They create true empathy.” 9 likes
“Without stories, we’re all just lonely islands.” 5 likes