Start by marking “Get the Girls Out” as Want to Read:
Get the Girls Out

Get the Girls Out

A rousing, funny, straight-talking, inspirational and generally awesome book from social entrepreneur Lucy Bloom, part memoir, part life-lessons, which urges us all to find our courage, take joy in life and celebrate our extraordinary ordinariness...

Stirring, straight-talking, incredibly inspiring, funny and full-on - Lucy Bloom is one of a kind, and so is her memoir.

Published March 18th 2019 by HarperCollins - AU

To ask other readers questions about Get the Girls Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get the Girls Out

Start your review of Get the Girls Out
Amber Daines
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gutsy but heartfelt series of Lucy's most experiences in an action-packed memoir that reminds us we are truly ordinary and extraordinary all at once. I couldnt put it down. Lucy has an ability to be real and raw without compromising her own self or those in the book. She's a cracked speaker and author.
Adam Courtenay
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read on subjects I had no idea about - birthing, third world doctoring, the problems of running a charity etc. Bloom handles the dichotomies of being a mother and a carefree spirit with great aplomb. Bloom has an infectious wit and a funny, tell-it-as-it-is, no holds barred style of writing that never lets up from the start. How much living can one person do? Bloom proves you can do a hell of a lot if you really want to. A rollicker.
Libby
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining and easy read. Conversational style. Good holiday reading. Adventures abound. Take aways: Do the things...all the things. Fuck the haters. Live life on your own terms. Stay Humble.
Emily Wrayburn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review originally published on a A Keyboard and an Open Mind 17 June 2019:

I want to preface this review with a quick story about Lucy Bloom. A couple of years ao, she gave a talk at my workplace. I can't even remember the topic. Maybe it was Women in Leadership or something? Anyway, it was very inspiring and I wrote down a lot of quotes like "Fear should never stop you having an adventurous life".

It also actually gave me the last push I needed to request the info pack, and eventually register,
Sputnik Sputnik
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a bloke reading this book there were short parts that were a little uncomfortable to read, and that’s OK because life is filled with uncomfortable truths. What’s important is the book is still an excellent read for blokes, even though I’m not quite sure how the title translates for us? And getting our balls out is probably more criminal than liberating. But whatever, it’s the spirit of the book that’s important and Lucy’s journey is an epic one. I’d seen snippets of her over the years but ...more
Charlotte
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took this book on a recent o/s trip and i didn't want either the literary or the literal adventure to be over!
The mark of a great book for me is how i feel at the end and this book made me feel ordinary which is exactly the point.
Lucy's ability to skillfully describe the ups and downs of life, the ordinary and the extraordinary, the highest points and the lowest are something we can all identify with.
Lucy has written a book that perfectly tells all of our stories and inspires us to live our
Catherine
We are all ordinary. Every single one of us is an ordinary person who has a set of talents, opportunities, challenges and experiences to work with. Whether we turbocharge those into greatness or lie on the couch is usually entirely up to us. But to start with, we are all ordinary to the core.
When I use the word 'ordinary', I mean normal, human, grounded, real. I don't mean average, mediocre or dull.
— Lucy

The first thing you need to know about Get The Girls Out is that Lucy Bloom writes exactly

Naomi El-Issa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Raw, real and downright hilarious. For those wanting more from life, a little inspiration and a good kick up the arse.
JO BUCHANAN
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have recently finished this wonderful, honest & raw book. Lucy has shared some very personal and vulnerable experiences and, for that reason, it is important we take the time to respect her story.

It's a memoir, containing everything: romance, drama, humour, courtroom tension, business stories, family values and shocking horror. You will not believe the places in the world Lucy will take you and the adventures you will share with her on the way. You will cheer when she wins in the boardroom
Claire Bibby
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining, for both men and women. Lucy speaks from the heart and shares the highs and lows in her life, which is like no other. Beautifully written, she holds nothing back and this is one of the most refreshingly honest and entertaining books I have ever read.
Tanya
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listening to the author read out their own memoir is surely the very best way to experience a memoir.
So thank you Lucy for reading this, lisp and all with your very Aussie roughness. It is all YOU and this added immensely to your stories of your colourful (PINK) life!
What I now know about Lucy from this book, is that this woman, whom I had never heard of, is wonderfully down to earth but smarter than almost everyone, Aussie to the point of almost ocker, insightful, pink haired, capable and
The Reader
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those life stories that packs a punch. One minute you're laughing out loud, the next you're catching your breath with tears in your eyes, then you want to punch the sky and yell "hell yes!". And ultimately you just want to meet Lucy Bloom and give her a huge cheeky grin and a massive high five!

This woman is awesome in the true, jaw-dropping sense of the word. There's nothing faux, pastel, meek or mild about Lucy, but equally she is a warrior with heart, conviction, empathy and she
Sally
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get the girls out had me in the first few pages, when Lucy talks about a famous person who told her “don’t write a business book my dear” I knew this book was going to be richer than anything I could imagine. It was I couldn’t put it down!

I am one of those people in this book that feels like I know Lucy as a personal friend but I don’t, I have had the honor of meting her and sitting next to her at a lunch when she talked at a fundraising group in Melbourne, I have followed her on social media
Veronica
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading ‘Get the Girls Out’ and I wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to Lucy Bloom.
It was a magnificent, intelligent, authentic and joyful body of work. The universe delivered it when I needed it most.

In a world that relentlessly bombards women (and girls) with messages to be everything but themselves, we need more voices like Lucy, traversing important topics such as self-worth, self-esteem, self-love and real-world resilience in its raw, unfiltered state.

I’ve often thought that
Sheree Stewart
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gutsy, raw, honest and real. Lucy takes me on the ride with her and I am hanging on to every word. I feel like I am jillarooing with her, sitting alongside when she gets the message saying she is fired. She owns her story, all of her story and doesn't sugarcoat it. Actually, she does the opposite of sugarcoating, she tells it like it is and I tell you what, that is bloody refreshing. Thank you.

Richard Field
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Has life ever delivered you a shit-sandwich? If so, read this book. Lucy Bloom's approach to setbacks, major challenges is phenomenal. She writes with such refreshing honesty. It's so funny, insightful, moving and inspiring. This is such a great book and not just for the girls. I actually think most men would really love it too (it's actually a really important read for men). Lucy, you're awesome!
Elloise Brady
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get the girls out is pure magic! Lucy has captured such a unique and inspirational approach that will leave you wanting to seize the day and do all the things you’ve been dreaming of. This is the kind of book that you just can’t put down. Do yourself a favour, read it, say yes and throw caution to the wind.
Caitlin
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a rollercoaster read but the best bit was - it was just about normal life. I was crying and laughing within the same chapter, I took notes, highlighted and dog eared pages. Full of wisdom not only for working women but for human beings who want to make a difference and live a life that counts. Loved this book!
Jasmin Tragas
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Bloom shares with us - in her raw, funny and heartfelt way - that life is for living, that bucket lists can be restrictive, that the "shoulds" stink and true generosity gives without demands. If you're in the mood for a memoir with 'tude and soul, then jump into this page turner and be prepared to examine your own choices and plan new adventures.
Anna Kellerman
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything you need in a memoir; honesty, courage, great stories, well written, inspiration, wisdom, emotion without sensationalism. While reading this book, and after finishing it, you will want to engage in the world and have the biggest life you can. Thank you Lucy for sharing your story, leading by example and for getting the girls out.
Rachel Henning
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an inspiration and should be read by all girls. I could not stop reading, the world around me had to stop…… I was captivated. Lucy's bravery to life shines out of the pages of this book. Very honest, real, kind, and this so relatable, this book makes you want to seize the day - and have your own year of saying Yes. Three cheers for Lucy - you are amazing.
Lisa 'Boo'
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down, and read it over two days! What a life you have led Ms Bloom. Very honest, really inspiring, sometimes hilarious, occasionally sad and all in all a very entertaining read.
Grace
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything you'd want from a memoir. Lucy shares her experiences with humour, wit, and realness. You feel as if you're experiencing these things (no spoilers) right alongside her. Lucy proves that anyone can lead an extraordinary life.
Jenny Cacopardo
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! What a great read, kept me captivated from beginning till end. Easy listening, great content. Highly recommended
Jessica
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally addictive! I read this book over one weekend. Lucy is an amazing story teller and has so much wisdom to share. Entertaining, honest and inspiring.
Belinda
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy's bravery and take-no-prisoners approach to life shines out of the pages of this book. Unflinchingly honest, this book makes you want to seize the day - and have your own year of saying Yes.
Sarah Monika
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love loved this book! Such a real and inspiring book that EVERYONE should read! Couldn't put it down and read in 3 days. it inspiried me to chase my squirrels. Your amazing Lucy!
Bravemumma Steph
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy thank you!
Thank you for reminding me we only have ONE life and it is NOW.
Thank you for your honesty that most mum's are not brave enough to say out loud (even though we all think it at times).
Thank you for sharing your journey in an entertaining way that makes you so relatable. It feels like we have been mates for years.
Mark my words, Bravemumma and L.B will be working on something, somewhere, somehow...someday. After you write a sequel to this of course (I didn't want it to end).
Katherine Skinner
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lucy’s book was a fabulous read just at the right time in my life when I needed a bit of inspiration. She nails it. Her passion and zest for life jump off the page. It makes you want to get off your butt and go and do all the things you planned on. I can’t wait to read another book by Lucy Bloom.
Liza Perrat
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lucy Bloom certainly has the gift of the gab... very entertaining.

• 488 Rules for Life
  • The Weekend
  • Winging It
  • Miss Cecily's Recipes for Exceptional Ladies: A Novel
  • See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster