Start by marking “How to Argue with a Cat: A Human's Guide to the Art of Persuasion” as Want to Read:
How to Argue with a Cat: A Human's Guide to the Art of Persuasion

How to Argue with a Cat: A Human's Guide to the Art of Persuasion

If you can persuade a cat ... you can persuade anyone. This is the essential guide to getting your way.

Jay Heinrichs, award-winning author of Thank You for Arguing and advisor to the Pentagon, NASA and Fortune 500 companies, distils a lifetime of negotiating and rhetoric to show you how to win over anyone - from colleagues and bosses, to friends and partners at home (and even th
Published March 1st 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about How to Argue with a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Argue with a Cat

Carin
We have two cats, Doozy and Turkey. They are both extremely persuasive in their own ways. Turkey has learned that even though he is almost six, if he makes a tiny kitten meow, he's more likely to get what he wants. Doozy will actually put a paw out towards a food we have that she wants, as if to help direct us. And if you have a cat or six, you'll know what I mean. Do you feed the cats on your schedule, or on their schedule? Do you pet them (and more importantly, stop petting them) when you want ...more
Nina
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am of two minds about this book. On the one hand it was very accessible to me, as I am owned by a cat and know his ways well. A lot of the examples were recognizable and gave me a good chuckle or resulted in an acknowledging nod. Humans then become much easier to understand. The subject of argument and persuasion also benefit from a good helping of humour to keep a possibly dry subject light.

But on the other hand the book was very short and fast paced and with the subject being so
Laurel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I feel like it's hard to rate an advice book because its all about how the book worked for you and how you could apply the advice given. Personally, I rather enjoyed this book because the advice was given in a fun way where it related everything to cats. I don't even like cats that much, but it was a good way for the author to use examples that I could visualize well and understand in a better way then just using humans. I think this is a great book on learning how to do persuasive writ
Czol
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting way of presenting the topic, but even with the short length it dragged things out way longer than necessary. Would have been better suited to a blog post.
Valerie Vlasenko
This book is perfect for cat-lovers. Me being a cat lady appreciated the author speaking “my language” & explaining simple but effective persuasion techniques.

The book is a short one and can be easily digested on a short distance flight :)
Nicole
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun to read and excellent lessons. If my husband and son weren’t so allergic, it also would have convinced me to adopt a cat.
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cats 1, Me 0, Until Now — Maybe
Review HOW TO ARGUE WITH A CAT by Jay Heinrichs

I have four monsters monkeys cats so, when I saw that Penguin Random House audio was offering a book about arguing with, as in convincing, cats I was intrigued. As a woman with four cats how could I possibly pass this one up – especially as my oldest, most venerated cat is so very argumentative.

I don’t a
Chuck Kollars
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I was looking for a primer on "rhetoric". This book is indeed a rhetoric primer, a short, _extremely simple, _extremely cutesy one. So much so that I was unable to list what exactly it was that I'd learned and what I hadn't. The cutesy premise, behind both the title and the text, is that if you can successfully argue with a cat, then you needn't even give a thought to humans because they're so much easier.

Some bits of Greek terminology are thrown in. For all I know the definitions and examples
Paul  Hankins
I enjoyed this book as I am currently enrolled within a 620 course in argumentation reading Plato and Aristotle. The book comes to me while I am immersed in those deeper readings on the subject of rhetoric. I can see and appreciate how Heinricks is able to draw similarities by creating the disparities between humans and cats.

As I was thinking about who the reader for this book might be, I thought about the students in my room for whom the subjects presented in HOW TO ARGUE WITH A CAT are brand
Charley Robson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It's nothing you didn't know before, and nothing you probably aren't already doing, but if you need a refresher on good conduct in life, work and general being, you might as well do it with cats.

The best parts are the sketches with the small snippet-quote summations; they're the punchiest, and therefore the most memorable, part of the overall product. The rest is relatively short, with nice little bite-sized segments you can pick out and read as and when you need them, rather than be
Nayeli
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked up this book on a whim, basically I found it at the book store and it was related to cats so I bought it. It's a very simple read, and it's written in lessons. However, I'm not sure someone who doesn't own a cat will enjoy it, as the examples are very specific, and sometimes far-fetched (this make the reading tedious at times). It's more of a comedy book and hardly a thorough guide, as I'm sure you can tell by the title and cover. Oh and another thing! since I started teaching high scho ...more
E A
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings

I have started this book with enthusiasm, for I like books on how to make good arguments and thought cats element would be something I could relate to. Many times I was disappointed at what I was reading, finding the examples too simple or not realistic at all. I enjoyed some parts, when different fallacies are introduced, but then the examples were not clear enough: I need to revert to other sources to clarify ‘post hoc fallacy’ and ‘fallacy of the antecedent’. Overall, not a dis
Suleiman Arabiat
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining quick read, mostly for its cat analogies than for the actual conclusions or tactics mentioned.

The author doesn't promise much in the introduction, and proceeds to picking on various topics on how to argue, diffuse tension, achieve your interpersonal goals, and transform some of your behavior, all with a clear comparative analogy to cats.

The humor is nice most of the time, and the advice and tips put forward are useful yet not very thorough (while some can
Robin
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite line from the book, "Persuasion is a dark art. If you want to make it less dark, shine a light on it." I love the cat metaphor for persuasion. It reminds me of some very good cat arguments, such as those conducted by Mayor Stubbs, the late cat mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska. This is a good introduction to the art of persuasion that is given more depth in Jay's other book, Thank you for arguing. I can hardly wait to use this one with my ninth grade English students.
Claire
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing Cicero didn't already say several millennia ago, but it was cute and apropos. OH THE PROPER WORD IS
That opening does sound like I only glanced at it fleetingly, but I read it. I was most appreciative of the Rebecca West quote! (I particularly liked Black Lamb and Grey Falcon). APPOSITE.

So this is charming!
Ally
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is very helpful in trying to know how to argue, persuade, and sometimes manipulate people. As the book says get people to do your biding (not the accurate quote, but a paraphrase from memory). I enjoyed learning the art of persuasion and I really enjoyed the cat references in the book because I love cats. I recommend this book to people who are trying to get better in debating subjects or to be a better speaker, because it gives helpful tips on that as well.
Yelena
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The beauty of this book is being relatively short. But even for this length it needs few more editorial polishes. Book drives comparison between cats and humans to teach last being more "wise".

Lessons learned:
— be agreeable; the more you agree, the more person you want to agree with you will do that;
— find perfect timing;
— think of the goal you want to reach and stage steps that would lead to it; then guide someone you need to agree with you step-by-step towards it
Alexis
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good at explaining arguments, and I wish I knew it existed a bit before I was told to read it. The only issue I had with this book is that I am not much of a cat person, so when it comes to relating tactics to cats I felt like I was left in the dark. I simply couldn't relate to the cats; thus making it a bit boring for me. Overall it has good knowledge that one should know.
Antonis Maronikolakis
An interesting read with a nice premise. Picked it up because it sounded so bizarre, and I was not disappointed. At times I had to skip ahead, but the book is short with short sections so it never became a chore to get through. Has some nice advice, but overall this is mostly a queer, quick read than an actual self-improvement book.
Michael Brennan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great advice! Be consistent, ask questions, and if you’re pushed to fight, win, but avoid fighting. Arguing is not a fight; the best arguments end with both parties feel like they gained something.

I would change the title to “Argue LIKE a Cat” because I didn’t learn anything about arguing WITH my cat.
Mark Yates
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars -- A quick, light read. The joke wears thin pretty quick. The examples depend far too much on domestic relationships. The section on fallacies and how to handle them is very underdeveloped. Still, I did finish it. And it had a few points on rhetoric worth reviewing.
Trip Xavier
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good analogies. Need to re-read as I think I missed a lot. Needs to be read interruption free in order to follow. Not good bathroom reading material if you happen to only have one bathroom. Other than that, good for understanding the art of persuasion.
Adriaan Rol
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed this guide to persuasion. Do not expect any ground breaking or earth shattering new insights in this book, but it is written in a very entertaining manner. Also, the cat metaphor is very effective in helping understanding of this subject.
Nilofar
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two years of being tricked into surrender and now I understand why the pyramids have a cat-face:
When a human disagrees with another human, each usually tries to get the other to admit he's wrong. When a cat disagrees with a human she almost always tries to get what she wants.
Jahnavi Jha
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
It's a good effort by the author. Funny in some parts but a bit of a stretch.
Amanda Witt
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A somewhat comical guide to how to know what cats are thinking, and why they do what they do (or don't, as the case may be)
Nicholas
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flawed but wonderful. I will be moving on to his more serious book on the topic.

I especially liked the cat pictures.
Ângela Maresch
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A charming and humorous look at how cats really are the next step in human evolution.
Kathy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am owned by 2 cats so I could really relate to this book. Such a fun read, and so accurate!
Madie King
This book was very helpful and I personally learned a lot once I got over the fact it was about cats.

• Cats' Letters to Santa
  • The Secret Lives of Dogs: The Real Reasons Behind 52 Mysterious Canine Behaviors
  • It's a Vet's Life (Talyton St George, #4)
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
  • Every Bone Tells a Story: Hominin Discoveries, Deductions, and Debates
  • Tacked to Death (Horse Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Listen Like a Dog: And Make Your Mark on the World
  • The Presidency in Black and White: My Up-Close View of Three Presidents and Race in America
  • When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up
  • The English Civil Wars, 1640-1660
  • George Orwell
  • A Less Boring History of the World
  • Revealing Whiteness: The Unconscious Habits of Racial Privilege
  • Going Public: An Organizer's Guide to Citizen Action
  • How Not to Murder Your Grumpy
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • Rebels Against the Future: The Luddites and Their War on the Industrial Revolution: Lessons for the Computer Age
  • What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education
Jay Heinrichs is the author of the New York Times bestseller, Thank You for Arguing, published in 12 languages. A third edition is available July 4. The leading modern work on rhetoric, it has been taught in more than 3,000 college rhetoric classes and countless AP English Language & Composition classes. It is one of the top ten books assigned to undergraduates at Harvard.

The book has bee
“We see a kind of tattoo and assume a gang member. Or we hear an accent and assume a terrorist. Politicians play off this conclusion-leaping. They use our leaping to manipulate us. Not so with cats. Being predators, they think more simply. If they fail to understand us, it’s probably our fault.” 0 likes