Start by marking “Meet Me in the Strange” as Want to Read:
Meet Me in the Strange

Meet Me in the Strange

Davi tries to help a new friend, Anna Z, escape a cruel and controlling brother, and the teens end up running away to follow the tour of their rock idol, the otherworldly Django Conn. The story is set in a weird and wonderful retro-futuristic city of glam-girls and glister-boys and a strange phenomenon that Anna Z calls the “Alien Drift.”
Published March 27th 2018 by Meerkat Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me in the Strange, please sign up.
Meerkat Press 12 & above. It also appeals to some adults due to the lyrical, poetic quality of the prose.…more12 & above. It also appeals to some adults due to the lyrical, poetic quality of the prose. (less)

Start your review of Meet Me in the Strange
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I was part of the promotional blog tour for this book, head over to my blog to see the full post: https://marriedtobooksreviewsandblog....

Meet Me In The Strange was definitely an interesting YA novella, the length was short, so that was good for me to read on a very busy day in particular (same day as this post is uploaded). The novella is told from Davi’s point of view as he goes to a concert for the artist Django Conn and locks eyes with a strange girl that he later finds out is called Anna Z.
Dave
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly
And the spiders from Mars. He played it left hand
But made it too far
Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band"

Meet Me in the Strange" is an ode to teenage rock fandom with its fascination with lyrics and attributions of deep meanings and hero worship. Although the rock star here is a sort of mid Seventies David Bowie glamfest, his name Django Conn recalls the legendary jazzman of that first name. But, all the references to space and
Brittany Lamb
You can read this review at https://bookwormbrittanyy.wordpress.c...

Disclaimer: I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 1 star

I.... I don't even know what I just read you guys.

Let me just go ahead and say that this book is rated pretty decently.I am about to be the first person to give this book one star. And I'm really not trying to say that the book would be totally awful for everyone, because that's clearly not the case. But...
Suze Lavender
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Davi sees Anna Z. at a concert he instantly knows she's special. They experience Django Conn's music in the same way. Davi is enchanted by both the energy on stage and the girl. When he returns to the Angelus hotel, his home, he's impassioned by the memories. Davi hopes he'll see the girl again and is surprised when she shows up at the hotel, meeting his sister. He follows her, so he won't lose her again, and they finally start to talk. Anna Z. has a lot to say and Davi is mesmerized when ...more
Niki
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @28.

To begin with, I wasn't a fan of the choppy sentences and the super small chapters, but I get that this is something that is maybe/ probably corrected in the editing process, so I'll just move past that.

I liked the description of glam rock with a space twist, and the big role that the music played (at least in the first chapter or so), BUT, this is a Manic Pixie Dream Girl Story.

I didn't even have to read further than 28% to realize that, because from the moment Anna Z properly met our
S.J. Higbee
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really intriguing read. Firstly, I am clearly not the target audience. While I enjoy my music and at times lock onto new artists and play an album to a standstill – I no longer have the intense, self-defining relationship with music that I recall needing during my teenage years. This book is targeted at those youngsters and those not so young, whose relationship with their music is mind-altering and profound.

Davi, the protagonist, is deliberately left ungendered, but is clearly male –
Faye
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I might be young for the glam generation, but I came of age watching Velvet Goldmine, so when I read the description of this book I was instantly hooked. Loved-loved-loved this space-age, glittery music-backed adventure that takes place in a slightly alternate version of (Italy, I thought, but I'm not sure). Compelling, dreamy Anna Z. and androgynous (or at least, gender-ambiguous), earnest Davi navigate life and drama in the shadow of their idol, superstar Django Conn.

Personally, I actually
Ritu
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, ya, magical-realism
Anna Z is a girl who can talk-talk-talk and make you fall in love with her. Her soul is bright and crazy.
Davi is a someone who sees. The most weird thing is, I don't think it is mentioned anywhere that Davi is a boy, and even if it is, Davi's gender fluidity is brilliant.
This book definitely does justice to the word strange.
There's music, magical-realism, plans and an actual bonding over music. It's fast paced and thrilling in the way that it swirls around. The sentence structure and the way
As I was reading "Meet Me in the Strange" I wondered if the author knew music, real music. Because each chapter flowed effortlessly into another, like movements in a symphony, or maybe a rock opera. Dialogue between characters rose and fell in rhythmic waves. The pulse-pounding songs sung by Django Conn and his band carried me along with Davi and Anna Z. The cocktail of retro, like a darkly tilted mirror of our history, lunar landings and Ziggy Stardust, blended with science fiction offered a ...more
Linda Hepworth
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Teenage Davi, along with his sister, lives a rather strange existence on the seventh floor of the Angelus, a once grand hotel, founded by his great-grandfather. A huge fan of glam rock-god, Django Conn, at one of his concerts Davi catches a glimpse of a young girl who appears to be totally lost in the music, even transformed by it. She is completely focused on Django and her very being appears to flicker with the pulse-beat of the music. He is immediately drawn to her and feels an almost
Rachael Quinn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I ordered this book for the library after reading a review that mentioned how the world had a David Bowie glam feel to it. I checked it out a couple of weeks after it arrived and it sat in my TBR long enough for me to forget anything that I read about it. I'm glad, though. I don't know what I would have expected if I remembered the summary I read. I think this one was better to go into blind.

Watts crafts a world that is much different from our own without feeling completely otherworldly. The
Maddie | THE PINK ROSE PANDA
**Thank you NetGalley and Meerkat Press for allowing me the opportunity to review an eARC of Meet Me in the Strange!**

This book is definitely three stars, maybe three and a half. It wasn’t bad, however, I expect that in a few months’ time, I will end up forgetting I read it.

Meet Me in the Strange is about a teenage boy named Davi living in this “retro-futuristic city of glam-girls, and glister-boys,” (NetGalley). THE WORLD WAS AWESOME. I was pleased with having such a sharp contrast to a host of
Marjorie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me very much of my own personal fascination with David Bowie and his almost God-like/out-of-this-world-like personality which many of his fans ascribe him. The story follows the daily adventures of Davi and their (Davi's gender is unknown to the reader) longing for a pixie dream girl Anna Z who helps them both find and simultaneously lose their place in this world and another, 'beyond', alien-type world, all thanks to their bonding love for musician Django Conn. I very much ...more
Robin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you want to get lost in a narrative and lose 3-4 hours of your day, get this book. I seriously can't believe I just did that. I sat down around 4 and didn't get up until it was well past dinner time.

The atmosphere of this book is absolutely amazing--it's like going to a concert of your favorite band and just losing yourself in the music and show and wondering how that time really passed because it couldn't possibly have been everything.

That is what this book is and I loved it.

The plot was a
J.D. DeHart
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meet Me in the Strange by Leander Watts is a crazy cool science fiction adventure. File it under young adult or adult fiction, if you wish. This distinction is almost always fuzzy to me and I find myself enjoying titles from both streams. This book in particular works as a kind of William Gibson-like approach to a science fiction celebrity culture that mirrors our own. Leander Watts brings a nice touch to describing this world, and I found the ride quite enjoyable.
Alison C
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Django Conn is a rock god with a massive teenage following, including Davi, a young man who has lived all his life in a high-end hotel, and Anna Z, a young woman who is on the run from….someone. Davi first sees Anna Z at a Django concert and he sees how she is utterly transformed by the music; obviously, she is someone he must get to know! When he does meet her, however, he is drawn into her mysterious world - and it becomes his mission in life to help her continue life in the Strange…. I ...more
Jenny
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I got a copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The summary of this novel doesn't do it justice. While Davi does help Anna Z escape from her brother, it is SO MUCH MORE than that. The main character is not Davi, it's the atmosphere. Set in a sort of alternate universe 1970s Italia, the story is all about dreaming and discovering life through crazy theories. Anna Z is a kind of angel that shows Davi how more there is to life than what he knows.
Dorie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. It is bizarre.

If you've ever obsessed over a band, lost yourself at a live show, considered yourself an "other" growing up, and maybe found another odd person to share a bit of crazy with - this book is for you.

It's a quick, fun, trippy ride. If I still smoked weed I'd have read this high. Aloud, with other high friends. Chapter by chapter. Taking turns.

Plus - solid, clear ending. Like a movie. A very weird movie.
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
frtc
Chuck
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The language makes this a somewhat difficult read but it's well worth it. It's often hard to tell the characters' reality from their imagination or dreams... you have to pay close attention. The parallels with what we think is our own reality are compelling and frightening.
Shulamith
I felt so at home in the other-worldliness of Meet Me In The Strange, as I so often do in novels by Leander Watts. This book is for fans of Bowie, Velvet Goldmine, and for anyone who has ever longed or lived for the transcendent and out-of-body experiences music can offer. It’s a quick and satisfying read that makes you wish you were there too, and one you’ll be thinking about long after you’re done reading. Dig your glitter platforms put of the closet (or head to your nearest goodwill ASAP) and ...more
T. Kent
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a dreamy, magical setting in this cool book! A huge music fan, it sure took me back to those days when a concert was an out of body experience. Loved it.
Birdie O
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I need to read this one again. I seriously think you might need to experiment with drugs to really get it. That being said, it was a decent story. Davi seems kind of simple-minded and Anna Z definitely seems to be using him in the beginning. There is a lot of build-up, and that mostly feels like I imagine an acid trip would be like? There's some amazing imagery and some seriously weird theories tossed around. The action/suspense part of the story doesn't really start until you're almost ...more
Ozma
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

There seem to be two plots to this story. One is about a teenager befriending a girl who is escaping from her abusive brother. The other is about an alien invasion, maybe, at least according to Anna Z. If I hadn’t been paying much attention, I think I would have come away from this book assuming that Anna Z was a creative dreamer and Davi was very gullible, believing her fanciful stories. But the very beginning of
lapetitepritt
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it

I was provided with an e-copy of this book through Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review, so thank you to them and the publisher for the opportunity.

I really wanted to like this book, I did. And I was quite sure I would at least enjoy it, but it is clear that Meet Me in the Strange was just not for me.

First of all, nothing really happened. I am a big fan of slow books, but this one felt like 260 of complete void. I was bored to death, and it took me ages to finish it, even if it is a very
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodreads Synopsis:

My Review:
I received a copy of Meet Me In The Strange from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I love the cover for this.
Alissa
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Over 50 pages in and I'm still not sure what's going on except this guy is stalking this girl he saw at a concert and finds appealing. Finally he bumps into her and they talk and bond over their fangirl/fanboy obsession with a Bowie/Ziggy Stardust-like musician. From the reviews and the synopsis and even the unique writing style, I thought this would be something I'd be into. But it just didn't hold my interest long-term.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
The concept sounded cool, but I didn't find the characters to be relatable, and their problems seemed less than awful, and the solutions to those problems not particularly well thought out. I probably would've enjoyed this book far more as a teenager, when most problems could be solved with some friends and good music, but as an adult, I found it just an okay read.
Violet
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arc-s
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Meet me in the Strange, ah, what a fitting title. If this book was anything, it was strange. And I mean strange.

The plot of this book was so simple, and there wasn’t much expansion on it. No plot twists, no surprising development.

The characters also weren’t very interesting or relatable.

Anna Z was an eccentric character whose long weird speeches made up half the book.

Davi was a character who just followed Anna
Ms. Nguyen
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was able to read this ebook through NetGalley!

DNF at 30%

I just couldn't get into it.. but I do think there are people who would appreciate it a lot more than I did. It's just really different...
Blog Tour starts 3/26/18 1 1 Mar 08, 2018 08:56AM

• Deathwish #1
  • I Was Born for This
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • The Tricking of Freya
  • The Sea Road
  • Captain Marvel (2019-) #2
  • Seven Exes Are Eight Too Many (Seven Exes, #1)
  • For Real
  • A Journey to the New World: The Diary of Remember Patience Whipple, Mayflower, 1620 (Dear America)
  • Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15)
  • An American Cinderella
  • En quête de vérité
  • The Black Mage
  • Little Witches: Magic in Concord
  • How (Not) to Date a Prince
  • Le ghetto (Irena #1)
  • Nick and Charlie
  • This Winter
Leander Watts is the author of five young adult novels. He lives in the Genesee Valley of western New York State, where he teaches writing and literature (special areas of interest: science fiction, crime novels and YA.)

He owns hundreds of vinyl albums (many still in the original cellophane), twelve fezzes, a ninety year old tenor sax, and the biggest collection of Big Hand Books known to exist.