Start by marking “Weekend Getaway” as Want to Read:
Weekend Getaway

Weekend Getaway

A lost child.
A marriage shattered beyond repair?
John Baxter doesn't think so, which is why he has planned this weekend getaway with his wife. He expected a lot of shouting, a lot of tears, but in the end, he hoped to have a stronger foundation upon which they could start rebuilding what they had once had.
What he wasn't expecting was the home invasion…
…and the hell that awa
Kindle Edition
Published October 21st 2017 by Grinning Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about Weekend Getaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weekend Getaway

Jeremy Hepler
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book of Tom's I've read, and I loved it. If you like thriller authors like Linwood Barclay, then you should check this out. It's intense and gritty yet still has heart. A fun read.
joyce g
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little gem added to author Tom Deady's assembly of horror. Fast paced, don't you dare put it down!
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tom Deady's WEEKEND GETAWAY is a suspenseful thriller raring to dismantle the notion of the idyllic New England vacation. You won't be able to set it down.

I give WEEKEND GETAWAY 4 stars.
Frank Errington
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Weekend Getaway is the new novella by the author of Haven, the 2016 Bram Stoker Winner for Superior Achievement in a First Novel. This new work is decidedly different in tone from his debut work, a lovely coming of age story. Weekend Getaway has more in common with some of Jack Ketchum's more graphic works than his own novel. And it's every bit as good.

In the words from the introduction by Josh Malerman "Weekend Getaway is as much a gulp of Jolt ® Cola as it is a quick snap of a rubbe
Michael Hicks
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've had some crummy weekend getaways in my time, but certainly nothing on par with what John and Rachel Baxter are forced to endure. Rather than spending a romantic weekend repairing their marriage, the two's road-trip gets off to a rocky start when they're followed by a menacing, souped-up black truck to their rental cabin in the woods.

To say much more would be to spoil Tom Deady's fast-paced novella of violence and mayhem, so that's all the synopsis you'll get from me. Weekend Getaway chugs
The Grim Reader
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fuck it, I'm giving this the full 5. I loved it. Review soon.
Eddie Generous
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review
Weekend Getaway reads something like if M. Night Shyamalan penned Jack Ketchum’s Off Season. It’s one of those stories where you think you’ve got it pegged a handful of times, and perhaps you did peg it once, but all the way through you’re second guessing and re-guessing how it will play out.
The plot begins much like Ketchum's Off Season in that the desolate situation in a cabin off the beaten trail leads to absolute senseless violence, but things get wonky and instead o
Bill
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Listened to this one on audio. Unfortunately it ended up just ok for me. The story was flat in places as was the narration.
Emily
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Weekend Getaway has an awesome creepy synopsis, but it ended up falling short for me. I think I was expecting something spooky/paranormal, and this was much more of a thriller than a horror novella.

The story starts out well - the home invasion part is creepy, and I definitely shouldn't have started reading that first portion of the story right before bed. It's very ominous, and the reader can tell that bad things are coming. This was the last thing that I really enjoyed about the story.

There w
J.H. Moncrieff
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow.

This is the second short I've read by Deady (the first was a heart-wrenching story in the Hardened Hearts anthology, which I highly recommend) and it's apparent he's a master of abbreviated fiction.

While a little of the power and suspense is removed by who the protagonist is (you'll understand when you read it), Deady still manages to spin a harrowing tale about a romantic vacation gone horribly wrong.

A riveting read you won't be able to put down. Recommended.
William Richardson
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a read, so fast paced, edge of seat heart pounding story. I did figure out the end but won't spoil it for anyone else. Characters where solid and love the setting. The surprises where well placed and I did not see some of them coming. I know the author and I'm reading another book by him called Haven.
Morgan K Tanner
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aww, stories about couples in love heading out into the countryside for a romantic weekend away from it all are always a favourite of mine. So picking up the excellent Weekend Getaway, I was excited to hear how a lovely couple of lovebirds rekindled that spark to bring their relationship to a whole new level of mush.

OK, that whole intro is a lie. I don’t like romance stories, and I certainly knew that this was going to be nothing like one. In fact the only truth in the above paragraph is my desc
Heather
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great little horror read. You think you know what happens, but you don't. I fear to say more because I don't want to give anything away. It's always nice to have surprises in books, and this one has them.
Robin Amstutz
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun and addicting. Once I started it, I read the whole thing in one sitting. A creepy, suspenseful, quick read with a surprising ending I didn’t see coming. Tom Deady is one of my favorite authors and this book won’t disappoint.
Alex findingmontauk1
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
well that was unsettling and slightly optimistic at the same time. 4 out of 5 stars- full review to come!
Theresa Braun
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I challenge readers to not finish this book in one sitting. It’s next to impossible. Deady accomplishes quite a bit in this short, lightning speed read. To start, the protagonist is flawed but likeable. Furthermore, the story opens the present, but flashes back and forth to that horrific weekend. With a few twists and turns. You’ll be dying to find out what happens. That blending of time frames is difficult to pull off in such a fast-paced book. Deady is able to do it well.

One of the things I re
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
John and Rachel Baxter are going away for the weekend. John is trying to fix their marriage. He expects the usual yelling and arguments, but he has hope. The Baxters are in for the weekend of their lives. A weekend that will change everything. It starts off with the Baxters being followed to the cabin by a mysterious black truck.

Tom Deady is legit. From start to finish, he brings the goods. I heard this novella is good, but I didn't know it'd be this good.

WEEKEND GETAWAY is a quick read. It to
Stacy
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I don’t usually read novellas but in the past year or so I have purchased a few just because the covers really intrigued me! This was one of those! The cover is perfect for the book.....although ......what you find lurking beneath that cover might knock you for a loop(in the best possible way).I thought I knew where the story was going and boy was I wrong! I read it in one sitting because I was so anxious to find out what happened to the characters.The whole book just flowed along perfectly and ...more
Thomas
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, e-book, dark, thriller
I first heard of Tom Deady through Cemetery Dance, when they published his first novel, Haven. I haven't read it yet, but it's received a lot of praise, and since I have a lot of other books at the front of my reading list, I thought it might be worth reading one of his shorter works before I get around to that novel. Weekend Getaway was that work, a novella about a weekend getaway to a mountain cabin that goes awry.

To start with, it feels like Deady is channeling Jack Ketchum here, as the story
Stuart West
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deady's Weekend Getaway is a brutal, swift read. A Richard Laymon-styled tale of the horrors of humanity, Getaway involves an all too humanly flawed man facing his own failures as a husband while being thrust into a terror-filled captive situation. To say more would give the plot away, but strap in, lock the doors, light the candle, and prepare to be blown away by a twist ending I didn't see coming. Deliverance done up horror style. Recommended for discerning horror fans
Amanda McReynolds
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
The narrator for the audiobook was so monotone that it ruined the book alone for me, and I had to change the bass settings in my car to be able to understand him, which I've never had to do for a book before. The ending was predictable and the writing was more like a high-school student wrote it for class. Definitely not a fan.
Randy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable

Tom Deady continues to amaze me . His stories capture you from the first word, and don't let go even after you finish reading. Such three dimensional characters and his innate ability to place you the reader in each scene is what really sets him apart. I love his writing . Simple as that!
Jessica
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa. This one was short and intense and I couldn’t put it down. I read it in two sittings. Graphic, violent and scary. Reality based horror can be the scariest stuff to read because you can’t help but think... “that could really happen”. Not for the faint of heart.
Conny
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
This was a good, creepy thriller/horror novel. I've read it in 1 day, it's short, about 85 pages. I gave it 4 stars because there was no supernatural/ghost in it LOL. It's a adult book, so be warned.
Holly
Jan 07, 2018
Timothy P Flynn
Jun 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Tom Deady is the author of several short stories, as well as a non-fiction book on the Red Sox historic 2004 season.

Tom's debut novel, Haven, is available now from Cemetery Dance on Amazon in ebook and paperback (https://www.amazon.com/Haven-Tom-Dead...).
Haven is the 2016 Bram Stoker Winner of Superior Achievement in a First Novel.

Tom's second novel, Eternal Darkness, is available now from Blood