Start by marking “Pride Must be a place” as Want to Read:
Pride Must be a place

Pride Must be a place

Ezra Caine is gay. He’s sort of out at school but not at home, where he fears the wrath of his father’s bigotry. When Ezra's flamboyantly out friend Alex Mills takes one too many beatings from homophobic bully Will Severe, Ezra finally snaps. Fed up with the situation at school, he decides to do something about it.

With the help of his BFF, Nettie, and some unlikely allies,
Published February 6th 2018 by Museitup Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Pride Must be a place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride Must be a place

Start your review of Pride Must be a place
Alice Rachel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic.

It reminded me of The Rainbow Boys.

It's the best YA novel with LGBT characters I have read in a long time.

It felt so real, it was incredible.

The issues tackled in this book transpired with authenticity.
In no other LGBT book have I felt this kind of truth. The pain of the characters in this book is truly felt by LGBT people every single day. This book is filled with history of the LGBT community too and the heartbreaking rejections and hatred they constantly go
Alice Rachel
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic.

It reminded me of The Rainbow Boys.

It's the best YA novel with LGBT characters I have read in a long time.

It felt so real, it was incredible.

The issues tackled in this book transpired with authenticity.
Naomi
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kevin Craig has a way of writing characters that could be people you know. They could even be you. In Pride Must Be A Place, we are led through the convoluted mind of Ezra, who knows who he is and knows what he wants but is afraid of going after those things because of what the consequences might be for himself and others around him. When circumstances come to a head, Ezra feels he can no longer stand by in silence, and is inspired to start a club to be an activist for himself and those like ...more
Tobin Elliott
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction
Full disclosure right off the top: I've known the author for many years and consider him a dear friend. That being said, I'm still going to be honest here.

So, this book. If I'm, as I said, going to be honest, I have to say, for the first quarter of this book, my most consistent reaction was, This one isn't for me. I'm not the right audience for this novel. I still sort of believe that, but nowhere near as strongly, having finished it.

Let me explain: This is a YA novel about a flamboyant gay
Lisa Llamrei
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gay teen Ezra Caine is sort of out, but not really. He would like to live openly, but fears the reaction of his peers and his bigoted father. Seeing his out friend being bullied, he decides to create his school's first gay-straight alliance. While establishing the Rainbow Alliance Club, Ezra must simultaneously negotiate homophobia, toxic friendships and messy scandals. Along the way, he discovers (sometimes pleasantly, sometimes not) that the people around him are not always what he thought ...more
Katherine (DarlingBibliophile)
I was a bit uncomfortable with the blatant fat shaming and food shaming in some of the earlier chapters, but otherwise was a very nice book to read!
G. LPC
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a read that went the whole spectrum of emotions, as if you could ascribe a color to each emotion and then run the gamut. At times you will laugh, cry, burble with anger, grow silent with sadness, grind your teeth with rage, feel your heart swell with love, and those are just a few of the emotions felt between these covers. To say it simply: this book shredded me. It eviscerated me. I am changed. I will never be the same, and that's okay. Thank you, Kevin, for writing this book, and for ...more
Margaret Lesh
This book is so many things. It's about being a teenager, caught up in a swirl of conflicting emotions. It's about equality and being able to live your true self without shame, without fear, just being who you are without having to look over your shoulder. Everyone knows how hard the teen years are to navigate to begin with, but dealing with issues of sexuality, identifying as LGBTQ and the often related intolerance make those coming-of-age years that much harder. Kevin Craig's novels get right ...more
Jennifer Turney
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read a book written by Kevin that I didn't enjoy. He has a sort of magic that gives life to his characters. In this book, from the hero to the bully, these are people I could have gone to high-school with. Everyone knew a 'Nettie', everyone loved to hate a 'Will' and day dreamed about their 'Marc'. And all of us can relate (in some way) to the struggles Ezra has and admire his courage and conviction.

I was drawn in from the start and genuinely relived some of that long forgotten YA
Abigail
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
Aw this gave me some high school GSA feels. It was a big effort for my school's GSA to get off the ground, and it was fun (mostly? Some of the situations the characters get into are quite serious) to read about this group of students trying to get theirs going. I also really liked that the topic of toxic friendships also got addressed in the narrative. Overall a solid time.
Charlotte
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtq
This story is many things... it's part romance, part coming-of-age, part drama... it's got a bit of everything. I loved the main character, Ezra. He's a smart, little bit unsure, teenager trying to figure himself out.
Tracey White
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! It took me a chapter or two to get into, because of the vernacular of a high school boy. But I sure did get into it! I laughed quite a bit, and I cried ugly tears. To me, that's what makes a good fiction piece.
I look forward to reading more of Kevin's work.
Indigo Wayworth
3.5 stars. A really well paced read, and a sweet story as well! I was really uncomfortable with the constant use of blatant slurs, and one of the characters really peeved me the entire story.
Full review to come!
S.T. Hills
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable book. Written for young adults but the author had a way of taking me back into time when I was young.
Lovely characters and theme. Shout out for a sequel.
Chase Hackett
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific story of high school, coming out, first crushes and a first boyfriend.
Carol Levitt
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous!

Such an unexpected book... in the best way possible. I know this word is overused, but it feels right... this book is authentic. Read it!
Jason White
Alex
Jul 09, 2018
john gagliardi
Jun 07, 2018

• Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • Death in the Afternoon
  • Old Man on the Bus
  • The Lisbon Traviata
  • The Problem with Mistletoe
  • Beauty and the Bookworm (Beauty and the Bookworm #1)
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball
  • Islands in the Stream
  • Flash Rip
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • Too Much Is Not Enough
  • The Lion and the Crow
  • Twice Shy (New Milton #3)
  • TAD
  • Clueless Cabot
  • No Good Men
  • Body and Soul
  • Through the Inferno
Kevin is the author of six novels: SUMMER ON FIRE (MuseItUp Publishing, 2011),SEBASTIAN'S POET (Musa Publishing, 2012), THE REASONS (Musa Publishing, 2013), BURN BABY BURN BABY (Curiosity Quills Press, 2014), HALF DEAD AND FULLY BROKEN (Curiosity Quills Press, 2015), and, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE (MuseItUp Publishing, 2018). Novel number 7, I WILL TELL THE NIGHT, will release in 2019.

Kevin is a