Start by marking “The Marriage Pact” as Want to Read:

The Marriage Pact

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  21,415 ratings  ·  3,168 reviews
'Ranks with Gone Girl' Joseph Finder

----

Would you stake your life on your marriage?

Newlyweds Jake and Alice are offered a mysterious wedding gift - membership of a club which promises its couples will never divorce.

Signing The Pact seems the start to a perfect marriage.

Until one of them breaks the rules.

The marriage of their dreams is about to become their worst nightmare
Published December 14th 2017 by Penguin (first published July 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Pact, please sign up.
SheriC (PM) Believe it or not, there are over a thousand reviews on this book. On this very webpage!
Melissa I hated this book, but made myself finish it. I feel in the end that Jake and Alice knew if they chose the desert, they would die. So basically they w…moreI hated this book, but made myself finish it. I feel in the end that Jake and Alice knew if they chose the desert, they would die. So basically they would rather die than to continue to live in the Pact. At least that's how I viewed it. (less)

·  21,415 ratings  ·  3,168 reviews

Start your review of The Marriage Pact
James
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars to The Marriage Pact, a thriller and suspense novel written by Michelle Richmond and set to be released on July 25, 2017. Many thanks to the author, NetGalley and the publisher, Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Bantam, for the Advanced Reader Copy (ARC). I really enjoyed reading this novel and felt it had a lot of contained suspense, as I couldn't put it down but it wasn't the kind where you were scared; you just desperately wanted to know what was going to happen.

Elyse  Walters
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Hi Friend"......
There is an assumption we have about marriage which involves two people building a life together, but must we shed our former selves?

The National average cost of a wedding in America is $29, 858

Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. A few reasons documented are: infidelity, abuse, money problems, sex problems, children, time apart, household responsibilities, friends, irritating habits, family, expectations, and personality conflicts...just to name a few!

I'm dying to 'spill the
Larry H
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Is there a secret to a long and happy marriage? Is there one thing, a group of behaviors or conditions, which could ensure that a couple can weather the stresses and strains most marriages encounter and stay married until death do them part?

If you ask Jake and Alice whether they wanted their marriage to last, and believed it could, they'd say yes, although perhaps somewhat dubiously. While Jake, a successful therapist, grew up in a home where his parents' relationship was strong (and is still go
Paromjit
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a psychological suspense thriller with an interesting premise. In a world where so many marriages fail, what would you be prepared to do to make sure your marriage will be successful? Jack and Alice are given a box as a wedding present from Liam Finnegan, a client of Alice. Once a singer, Alice is now a lawyer and Jake is a therapist. part of a successful psychology practice. Liam asks them questions about their marriage where upon they are invited to join a rich and exclusive group. On ...more
Kaceey
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The perfect combination of bizarre, strange and just down-right creepy!

Alice and Jake receive a very strange gift for their wedding. A locked box, compliments of their new friend Finnegan, Alice's new client. The box as well holds a cryptic note to be revealed upon their return from their honeymoon.

Warning bells! Of course this would have been the opportunity to have just walked away. Strike that… run away, and agree never to open the box. Oh no you don’t! Curiosity killed the cat...

"The pact i
Holly  B
WOW! This was a fantastic read. I loved the fast pace and suspense. It was very clever and had me on the edge throughout.

Some of the "pact" rules - 1. When your spouse calls answer 2. Exchange thoughtful gifts monthly 3. Plan a trip together once a quarter 4. NEVER mention the PACT to anyone.

The adorable newlywed couple Jake and Alice are professionals and eager to start their lives together. As a wedding gift, they receive a mysterious gift. Later, they learn of the contents and end up signing
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars* (rounded down)

Could you imagine being married to someone and being obligated to stay with them forever with no way out ? Because you made a Marriage Pact to stay together? And you love each other and you were already making the commitment and it seemed fun, exciting, ominous and oh so mysterious? And heck, what could possibly go wrong, right?!

Jake and Alice are a happy couple about to get married. Jake is a Psychologist and Alice is a successful Attorney. Right before the wedding,
Sarah Joint
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy, unnerving, but thought provoking.

Hello, Friend.

What we have here is a very original and well thought out story. It's very intricate. The characters are multi-layered and complex. Alice especially, I found fascinating. In a way, I wish we had been granted looks into her head... but not knowing what she's thinking definitely ups the suspense factor. Like an actual relationship, we are left wondering what's going on in the other person's head with no way to know for sure.

Alice is a f
Carol
ONE thing is for sure, THE MARRIAGE PACT is not chick-lit......not at all what I expected.....but so much more.

The gift from a FRIEND......

Although newly wed, Jake and Alice are not kids nor uneducated, one an attorney, the other a therapist; HOWEVER, when they receive the mysterious box (with no key) for a wedding gift and invitation shortly thereafter to find out its contents, they agree to meet with the bestower, and foolishly end up signing a contract for what they believe to be fun-fill

Norma
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traveling Sisters Group Read with Brenda, Diane, Jan, and Jennifer

Brenda packed up her books and hightailed it out of the coulee, leaving me lost in the coulee all by lonesome to write this sister review.  I will refrain from expressing my over excitement within this review as to not trigger a rare rant from my normally very positive sister.  For me and my sisters (minus Brenda) we mostly all had similar thoughts on The Marriage Pact however not all of us enjoyed this one the same.

THE MARRIAGE
Lisa
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Remember Stephen King's novella about the dude who wanted to stop smoking? That didn't end well. Apply this to that. Voila! A whole book load of suck! You know from the beginning that this is NOT A good idea. Unfortunately, you still keep reading and expecting something new. What's that they say about insanity? Repeating the same thing over and over? Results are always the same, yet you repeat it. Expecting something new. Yeah, I'm not a poet, and never quite remember the true words, but I get t ...more
Diane S ☔
2.5 The suspension of belief. A great deal of which is required for this read and something at which I was only partially successful. A couple gets married, she a lawyer, he a therapist, they receive a mysterious box from a virtual stranger. A box that contains the beginning agreement to enter into a lifelong pact, a pact to make their marriage last, supposedly forever. First inkling of trouble for my skeptical mind. Would a lawyer sign this without reading it first? Anyway got past that hurdle, ...more
Julie
The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond is a 2017 Bantam publication.

A little wobbly- but a nice concept- all the same.

Alice, high from winning a big case, invites her client to her upcoming nuptials, in one of those moments when you say something flippant, not expecting to be taken up on the offer. But, not only does the client accept the spur of the moment invite, but he and his wife do indeed attend Alice and Jake’s wedding. They also send along a most curious gift… and invitation to join an
Carol (Bookaria)
What if you could ensure the success of your marriage by following some guidelines? Well, this book will show you how in this chilling tale.

This is the story of Jake and Alice. Jake is a psychologist, Alice is an attorney and they recently got married. On their wedding day they receive an intriguing gift; a wooden box with the inscription "The Pact" on it. This box cannot be opened right away, first one of the members must introduce you to The Pact's philosophy and manual. Initially the instruct
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
3.7 stars rounded up for originality to The Marriage Pact.

This was a Traveling Sister read and made for some fun and interesting discussions in the group!

What I enjoyed: the fresh storyline, the marriage statistics throughout (data geek), Jake (the narrator)- endearing, tries so hard as a husband, and some of the rules of the pact! Scheduled vacations? Who doesn't want those? 🌴

What was harder for me to like: some of the other rules were outlandish and difficult to accept. The punishments and s
Jill McGill
Wow! What did I just read! That was a wild, crazy, and twisted ride... and I loved every minute of it!

It all starts out when Alice and Jake receive a bizarre wedding gift from one of Alice's new clients - A membership to "The Pact". This is a club that promotes long-lasting and healthy marriages... no one gets divorced and no one leaves "The Pact" alive. So, with one click of the pen, they decide to sign the contract - How bad could it be? After all, it's promoting healthy marriages, right?

Alic
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I won a copy of The Marriage Pact in a Goodreads Giveaway.

2.5

Oh The Marriage Pact, how I wanted to love you. With such an interesting concept and the Fight Club-ish warning on the back cover that members are to “Never mention The Pact to Anyone,” I was super excited to dive in. Alas, the honeymoon was over about halfway through the book.

The Marriage Pact revolves around Alice, a lawyer, and Jake, a therapist. Three days before the couple is to be married, Alice meets Liam Finnegan. She is workin
Lisa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers
Unfortunately for me this book sounded interesting but fell short it was long winded drawn out & failed to grab my attention pity as it started well but flopped...Dang that annoys the crap out of me oh well onwards & upwards. the characters didnt appeal to me could not connect to any of them, juast a average read for me.
Carrie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Alice and Jake have come to a time in their lives where they believe they are ready for that next step of getting married. Alice was once a singer in a band but now is settling into her career as a lawyer while Jake has been busy setting up his practice with his partners as a psychologist. The pair had planned on keeping the wedding somewhat small and simple but at the last moment Alice invites a wealthy client and his wife on a whim.

Once invited to the wedding Alice's client sends a mysterious
Jan
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Clever and unique, dark and chilling-all rolled into one great read!

The Pact...Sounds innocent enough.

Newly married Jack and Alice receive an invitation from one of her clients to join 'The Pact', an elite club of sorts, designed to promote a healthy and long lasting marriage. Long lasting in that there are NO divorces among the members. The Pact has rules that must be followed, all designed to keep a marriage fresh and happy. Some of the rules are fun, like giving your spouse a though
The Marriage Pact is a club. There are rules you must follow: always answer when your spouse calls, give your spouse a thoughtful monthly gift, take quarterly trips together, maintain your wedding day weight, never ever mention the pact to anyone. Oh and you can't ever leave the pact. Breaking any of these rules has consequences.

So when Jake and Alice receive an invite to the pact as a wedding present. Immediately, they are intrigued. A club to promote a happy marriage? What could be wrong with
Kathryn
The Marriage Pact, Michelle Richmond’s most recent work, is a solid but not particularly noteworthy selection that asks: “how far would you go to protect your marriage?” In this book, unfortunately, the question is far more intriguing than the answer.

Newlyweds Alice and Jake receive quite an unusual gift for their wedding. An invitation to join The Pact. An exclusive, secretive group whose sole mission is to preserve and uphold happy marriages. Sounds good, right? Well, Alice and Jake agree. An
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Therapist Jake and rock-and-roller-turned-lawyer Alice have just gotten married and are happily in love. Prior to going on their honeymoon, they received a mysterious gift from one of Alice’s high profile clients, and were told that everything would be explained to them when returned from vacation. Upon arriving home, they meet Vivian, who explains that they have been invited to join a secret membership-only group known as The Pact.

The Pact promises to support them in their desire to have a happ
JanB (vacation till Oct 18)
This was a Traveling Sister read with Norma, Brenda, Diane and Jennifer. It generated some interesting discussions!

I thought this book was well-written with a unique plot that had enough suspense to keep me turning the pages. A newly married couple, Jake and Alice, are invited to join The Pact, an exclusive club that has numerous rules and regulations designed to keep couples happy and married for life. It soon becomes clear the club is actually more of a cult with stringent rules and consequen
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

"I expected marriage to be a door that we went through. Like a new house, you step into it, expecting it to be an unchanging space to inhabit. But, of course, I was wrong. Marriage is a living, changing thing that you must tend to both alone and together. It grows in all sorts of ways, both ordinary and unexpected."

Filed Under: The Worst Marriage Present of All Time

Leah Remini is a personal hero of mine.

I am endlessly fascinated with cults. And for someone to so publi
Petra
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What are you willing to do to keep your marriage alive?
Shortly after their wedding, Alice and Jake receive an invitation to join The Pact, an organization whose objective it is to keep their members' marriages intact because marriage is for life...

I had a love-hate relationship with The Marriage Pact. While it was totally readable, fast-paced and even quite gripping, I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to really get behind the story. I had trouble finding Alice, a musician-turned-lawyer, and Jak
Pauline
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond is a suspense novel that is dark and disturbing. Alice and Jake are given as a wedding present an enrolment into a club where married couples help each other. This is no ordinary club and things are not what they seem. I found this book very creepy. I would like to thank NetGalley and Penguin Random House Uk -Michael Joseph for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Louise Wilson
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Newlyweds Alice and Jake are a picture-perfect couple. Alice was once a singer in a well-known rock band, is now a lawyer. Jake is a partner in a physchology practice. They received an enticing wedding gift from one of Alice's prominent clients,. They decide to join an exclusive and mysterious group known only as The Pact.

The rules are simple, stick thoroughly to The Pacts rules. There can be devastating consequences if the rules are broken. This is a suspense thriller that touches on creepiness
Lisa Vegan
I loved this author’s The Year of Fog and No One You Know and I want to read every book she writes. I think that I’ll read Golden State next, another story set in San Francisco. I have all her books I’ve not yet read on my to-read shelf.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t like this one and was warned that it gets very weird. Yes, it does, but I was surprised how much I loved it. I liked it start to finish. It’s a page-turner and an excellent psychological thriller.

It was really fun for me to read a t
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm

photo 79da1f234301b8279336fa58bbe4b092--reading-quotes-reading-books_zpsvotohugr.jpg

Now, this was a strange one, interesting but a bit wacky in its concept.
The marriage pact by Michelle Richmond was surprisingly good, The author has found a unique idea and evolved it from there.
With some surprising twists and turns that I didn't see coming this was a refreshing contribution to the psychological genre and I only had minor issues and niggles that pulled this down slightly for me.
So the marriage Pact involves newlywed's

• Lies She Told
  • One Little Secret
  • Mother Knows Best
  • When You Find Me
  • The Girlfriend
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • Widows-In-Law
  • Beware the Cuckoo
  • Beneath the Shadows
  • Sister of Mine
  • The House on the Water
  • One Little Mistake
  • Dying Breath (Psychic Killer #1)
  • Dead Before Dark (Psychic Killer #2)
  • The Liar's Girl
  • Hold Still
  • Unnatural Causes (Dr. Katie LeClair, #1)
  • Fog of Dead Souls
See top shelves…
Thank you for stopping by my Goodreads page! I grew up in Alabama and have lived in California for 20 years. My new novel, THE WONDER TEST, a suburban suspense novel set in Silicon Valley, was just released by Grove Atlantic in July 2021 and is an Amazon Best Book of July.. Learn more at michellerichmond.com.

My last novel, THE MARRIAGE PACT, is a literary thriller that examines marriage under extr