Start by marking “The Sounds of Secrets” as Want to Read:

(Love in London #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
I've been in love with him forever.

But to him, I've always been off-limits. Until the night that changed everything.

Maybe it was the alcohol. Maybe it was the secrets we shared. Maybe he finally opened his eyes and saw me.

By the time the sun rose, I’d lost him again, my heart shattering on his parting words: “It was a mistake.” So I ran. Ran until I was thousands of miles
Published December 6th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Sounds of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sounds of Secrets

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4 ★'s ~ ♦ Full review now posted 1/1/2018 ♦

This is the story of Lotte and Samson that you may have been introduced to if you read The Weight of Life. While that is a great book, I think the author does a wonderful job filling out the story line so it's not necessary to have read that book first.

The book begins when Lotte's life starts crumbling and it's pretty awful. Samson who is Lotte's brother-in-law, Ames, best friend is with the family trying to help out any way he can.

One night after he
Yasmin
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
“There was nothing safe about loving him. And that’s why I did.”

You don’t know how happy I was when Lotte and Sam’s book landed on my kindle. I couldn’t stop squealing, I was so excited!!

I devoured this story. The Sounds of Secrets is by far my favorite novel by Whitney Barbetti. I think I’ll always remember these characters.

Whitney Barbetti is one of many authors I discovered this year. What I noticed after only reading three of her books is that, she puts a lot of heart into it. And The Soun
Shannon Moore
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every once in a blue moon, I get super excited for a particular book to come out. Like over the top, fan girl excited. And with being so excited, I may happen to have some unrealistic expectations. Set the bar a smidgen too high, if you will. And I'm saddened to say that I think that's the case of what happened to me with Sounds of Secrets.

Reading The Weight of Life earlier on in the summer, I was head over heels for Ames and Mila. I'm talking, one of my favourite books of the year. That's how
Amy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 5-stars
“My heart burned for him before I really knew what that meant, before I understood the power and devastating despair of unrequited love. He was the man who came to me without warning, who had me before I had a grasp on who I even was.”

“There were entire oceans of pain in her eyes, and I was completely incapable of helping her swim through it.”

“I didn’t know I’d been so starved for oxygen until I could finally breathe again, because of her.”

This book……It was everything. It was beyond my expectat
Beneath The Covers Blog
Shelves: sonal, 2017-reads, arcs
Four hundred five billion stars for my boo Lots and Sam!!!

Lotte has been in love with her brother-in-law's best friend, Sam for most of her life. This unrequited love is one of the many secrets she keeps, secrets that define her and haunt her. She always knew that her love would go unfulfilled until one night which gave her hope. But this hope was short lived that her heart broke all over again.

Sam can't reveal the depth of his feelings for Lotte. Keeping the fact aside that she is his best mate
Talon
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another year, another Whitney Barbetti book that I completely devoured and admired. And LOVED! The Sounds of Secrets was just absolutely stunning. Poignant, heartfelt, and beautiful. I kept wanting more and more of Lotte and Samson, even after I was done. I still find myself thinking about them. That is the kind of book you want to read. One that you cannot forget.

The characters, man. THE. CHARACT
Brooke Gunderman-Harris
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For All of My Reviews, updates and Giveaways Go To-> http://lattesandpaperbacks.com

Whitney Barbetti has such a away with words that I cannot even begin to describe the things she does to my heart when I read one of her books. I fell in love with her writing with her last book that she co-wrote with Karla Sorensen, Hooked: A love story of criminal proportions. I absolutely loved that book and devoured it. And this book was no different than Hooked. I started reading it and couldn't put it down
Serena
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all. THIS. COVER. So gorgeous, it punched me right in the FEELS. And so did this amazing love story! I think Sam and Lotte's journey had me feeling every emotion possible. I fell hard for these characters with their flaws, and their heart and their love, I just wanted them both to be happy. *cries* I was submersed within the pages from beginning to end. I swear there were moments my heart crashed and burned. But it also swelled with so much love for these two! The Sounds of Secrets had ...more
Carmen Aquino
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The sounds of secrets è il primo libro letto di Whitney Barbetti e la ringrazio per l’opportunità di leggerlo in anteprima. Purtroppo è uno di quei libri che mi ha lasciato con l’amaro in bocca, essenzialmente mi piaceva tutto: trama, sviluppi, personaggi, quelli secondari. Poteva rivelarsi proprio una bella lettura ma nel concreto non mi ha coinvolto abbastanza.

Lotte è una ragazza abituata a mantenere secreti, sin da piccola le emozioni che non riusciva a esternare le inglobava e diventavano gr
Laura- BookBistroBlog
By: Whitney Barbetti
4 Stars

Secrets, we all have them. Some are easy to keep inside, some are busting to get out.

Lotte has had enough loss in her young life that learning to keep things inside and finding a different way to deal with life seems to be hurting herself more than helping her cope.

Sam has gotten really good at battling his demons. When in truth, he is wanting to let the demons go and become the man that Lotte deserves. Because there is one thing that Sam realize
Lisa (Two Bookish Brits)
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m not even sure where to being with this review except saying a big fat WOW!

Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

There’s always that one author that you have high expectations for, for every new release and with every new release those expectations get smashed into smithereens with every book said author releases...Well that author for me is Whitney Barbetti. She completely smashes every expectation I have when reading her books. They’re always so much more than I could ever expe
Sofia Lazaridou
The Sounds of Secrets sounded like a great book, but it didn't work out for me. Why? Because the pace was off. We have a time jump very early in the book and I got the feeling like nothing had changed for our heroine. I feel like it took too much time for the heroine to say goodbye to everyone and go to America. Then her time there moved way too fast and it barely slowed down when Sam came into the picture. I felt like these characters had stories to tell and experiences to live, but their journ ...more
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humans, as a species, are pretty dumb sometimes.”
“We love the people who hurt us, And hurt the ones who love us.”

And that ladies is the bottom line of the story. It will pinch your heart in many places because a Whitney B book is guaranteed heartstring puller. The words flow so beautifully. She's not a poet but has a heart of a poet. There's symphony in her pen, vibrant colours in her prose.
We met Ames , Mila, Lotte & Sam in The Weight Of Life. This particular book is pre and aprés book 1.
Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Yet another heartfelt read from Whitney Barbetti. The Sounds of Secrets is a book that will stay with you long after you’ve finished reading.

Lotte and Sam are two beautifully tormented and broken people whose secrets threaten to keep them apart. Lotte has never felt that Sam noticed her, then one night changes everything. Maybe it’s the alcohol, but when she wakes, and Sam says it was a mistake, she runs. But she never expected him to follow a
Ashley
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Check out this review and many more at: 5171 Miles Book Blog.

The Sounds of Secrets was my second Whitney Barbetti book after reading Ten Below Zero at the end of last year. She’s quickly becoming a favorite of mine, making me eager to read the rest of her novels! Of the two novels I’ve read, I can attest to the heart poured into the stories and the powerful message the author wants readers to take away.

Lotte has always loved Samson, but he’s always been off limits. When one night changes everyth
Ellie
Dnf 50%
No. No. No. No.
Don't attempt without Prozac.
I was so done with this steaming pile long before I gave up on it.
The hero has no personality. Quite possibly the poorest character development I've seen yet.
The heroine? Delete her.
Good grief. What a depressing, pathetic, moping bag of wind. She made Eeyore seem happy-go-lucky. I literally wanted to slap the stupid cow upside her plucked head.

When I say that some people just shouldn't write, the person who wrote this is an example of what I me
Jenn
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my top reads for the year!

I love all the words this author has to offer and this book just further reiterated that point. This can be read as a standalone, though it is wonderful after reading TWOL.

This is written in Sam and Lotte's alternating POV. I had no idea how troubled they were viewing them from others' perspective. It is both heart-warming and heart-breaking all they endure. The book is mostly based in London but does follow as Lotte ventures to the states. I love h
Carola
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5, would have loved an epilogue. The ending was a tad too open for my taste.
Reading with 2 book lovers
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is a first read for me by this author and wow what a great read. I devoured this book.
I loved lotte and Sam so so much.
this author now has a new 1 clicker out of me.
I volunteered to read a copy of this book
Livros A Go-Go ~Joyci ~
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lotte e Sam apareceram em The Weight of Life e eu nem fazia ideia que eles ganhariam um livro, só descobri depois de umas boas páginas, rs
Algo da autora não faz a leitura fluir para mim, como ocorreu no livro anterior.
E o final deles aqui, foi mais como um início, muita coisa a resolver e tratar.... mas nem deixou vontade de acompanhar o futuro.
Briana Pacheco
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've loved every Whitney Barbetti book I've read. The woman writes with so much heart and soul. <3

If you've read The Weight of Life this is Sam and Lotte's story. I was so excited knowing they were getting a book. I love my British men. ;) Samson. *sigh* He's been dealing with a secret for years. Watching him struggle with it was hard. Lotte intrigued me. She's so young and trying to figure out what she wants in life. I could relate to her on some level. And this quote pretty much sold me:

"So
Brittany
Shelves: romance
*Received an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review*

This was a heartbreaking albeit beautiful love story. Each of the main characters are struggling with issues, Lotte with loss and anxiety and Samson with something brought about by mistakes in his past. They are each attempting to cope in ways that are unhealthy and end up driving them further down the path that leads to pain. They each punish themselves and feel as if they are not good enough.
I loved this book! I have read a fe
Cindy M. Green
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you think the cover of this Whitney Barbetti book is beautiful, wait until you meet the characters in this touching love story.

Right from the start there is sadness and heartache in this poignant romance. This certainly doesn’t make the journey for Lotte and Sam any easier, but it makes the time they do spend together all the more fulfilling. Their struggles are real and totally relevant. Everyone has insecurities and Whitney touches on them with heart and compassion. Lotte and Samson are fl
Tracy- OMGReads
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An emotional second chance, Sounds of Secrets is a book that will stick with you. A standalone, it is the story of Lotte and Sam.

I don’t have enough good things to say about this book. It’s jam packed of feels that slam into you. The characters are flawed, have secrets. It kept me hooked in a way that had me holding my breath before gasping. I needed to find out how this story ended, but I wanted to take my time and immerse myself in the world Ms. Barbetti created.

Paced well, and developed bea
Becky Rendon
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Sound of Secrets is starring friends from the authors previous novel, The Weight of Life. Lotte and Sam who were strong secondary characters take the lead in The Sounds of Secrets. (Be on the look out for other friends.)

The Sounds of Secrets is a chance to grow. A chance to move on and yet...Lotte learns a lot about herself on this trip. Sam learns some interesting things as well.

The sounds of their secrets pressing in on them all around. What would it be like to be free of the chains those
Jenny
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, yet sad

This book is lovely. I struggled in the beginning to connect but then I loved it.

Lottie is sweet and shy, and hiding a secret.
Sam is kind and denial, and hiding a secret.

The have a night and he is not kind the next day. Not out right mean, but man - he gutted her.

Off she goes to America for some experiences and discovery.

Sam goes to help her and he winds up falling in love with her. They share their secrets.

Now, the ending was why I gave 4 stars. It was SUPER abrupt! Like wha
Blue
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sad to say I skimmed to finish after the 30% mark. SPOILERS!
The 3 year time jump was jarring, and yet it seems like we missed nothing in that 3 years. The storyline fell apart for me here. She never got drunk or felt free dancing in those 3 years? He never got caught with the pills for 3 years, nobody ever noticed anything off about him? There was just this huge disconnect for me that made no sense and jarred me out of the story. It felt awkward, it just didn't work for me at all. :(
Alexis
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I swear Whitney's writing keeps getting better and better. Definitely make sure to add this one to your TBR.
J.C. Hannigan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this story! It was very well written, very emotional and engaging, and Lotte and Sam were perfect.
I think this might be my favourite Whitney Barbetti book (do I say that every time? Because it's true, every time LOL). Definitely recommend!
Maria
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love when a book gives me all the feelings I need. This book took my breath away.
***Please message me via my website - I am almost never on Goodreads! Thank you!***

Join my Facebook fan group (not a street team) for first looks at upcoming books, exclusive cover reveals, and giveaways!

I am the author of new adult and contemporary romance novels. Please visit my website to see all of my current novels.

Love in London (2 books)