Start by marking “Commissaire Le Floch & das Geheimnis der Weissmäntel (Commissaire Le Floch #1)” as Want to Read:
Commissaire Le Floch & das Geheimnis der Weissmäntel (Commissaire Le Floch #1)

Commissaire Le Floch & das Geheimnis der Weissmäntel

(Nicolas Le Floch #1)

Paris, 1761: Als ein Polizeibeamter der Korruption verdächtig wird, betreut man den jungen Nicolas Le Floch mit dem Fall. Was als Bagatelle beginnt, wird schon bald zum Mordfall, da der verdächtigte Beamte verschwindet, und zu einem Skandal, der auch König Ludwig XV und seinen Hofstaat treffen könnte. Während die Pariser Gesellschaft sich dem wilden Treiben des Karnevals h ...more
Published September 2017 by Karl Blessing (first published January 1st 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Commissaire Le Floch & das Geheimnis der Weissmäntel

Start your review of Commissaire Le Floch & das Geheimnis der Weissmäntel (Commissaire Le Floch #1)
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1761 Paris, this is the first in a series of books featuring Nicolas Le Floch. We first meet Nicolas as a young man, whose guardian, Canon Le Floch, has recently died. Abandoned as a baby twenty two years previously, his godfather, Marquis de Ranreuil, seems to have turned against him – refusing to consider him as a possible husband to his daughter, Isabelle, whom he has loved since childhood.

When Nicolas is sent to Paris, he is determined to be a success. Monsieur de Sartine, the Lieute
Caroline Taggart
The Mail on Sunday review quoted on the cover of this book says, ‘Reads like a cross between a Maigret mystery and Les Liaisons Dangereuses.’ Sorry, but that's rubbish. It’s a convoluted murder mystery (which Les Liaisons Dangereuses is not) set in 18th-century Paris and contains many squalid details of decomposing corpses, arsenic poisoning and impoverished prostitutes (which LLD does not).

However, that review isn’t the author's fault. What is his fault is the heavy-handedness with which he sh
Annie M
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good first novel...I picked it up because I currently live in Paris (and have traveled extensively in Brittany) and I thought it would be cool to read about familiar streets and areas from a bygone era. On this point Parot did not disappoint. He really gave a sense of Paris during the mid-18th century and the tensions that lead up to the revolution are present, without being foreboding. I disagree with some reviewers that criticized the author for being too detailed or showing off his ...more
Sara Bauer
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm so obsessed with this new to American soil series, I just ordered the second and third books from England. You'll have to force yourself to put this book down. Will totally consume your life--which is what great books always do.
Beth Cato
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, mystery, france
I enjoyed this most for its historical fiction aspect. This is a mystery set in late 1700s Paris, and the detailed way it describes the city, its people, and environs is absolutely fabulous. As a mystery, though... the culprit was easy to guess early on, and it exasperated me with its reliance on stale tropes. The male characters are well developed; the few women are saints or whores. The only black man falls into tragic circumstances.

If only it had managed to be more original in every way! The
Calzean
1780s Paris. A 22 year old orphan who has been bought up by his wealthy guardian comes to the city. He is suddenly a policeman, then a confidant to the big boss, then given a most secret of secret assignments and an ending where he brilliantly solves numerous riddles.. There are a lot of prostitutes, brutal murders, men behaving badly, recipes of the time and the King is still a God. Only one of the murderers and the policemen's offsider talk about the bad side of when the poor have no rights, n ...more
TBV
“On the night of Friday 2 February 1761, a horse-drawn vehicle was laboriously making its way along the highway that leads from La Courtille to La Villette. The day had been gloomy, and at nightfall, sullen skies had unleashed a fierce storm.”

Thus commences this tale. A stinking knacker's yard at Montfaucon, the erstwhile place of execution in medieval Paris, where hidden amongst stinking animal carcasses an old crone accidentally witnesses something horrific.

A police commissioner has disap
Nicholas Le Floch series:

4* L'enquête russe (Nicolas Le Floch #10)
CR L'énigme des Blancs-Manteaux (Nicolas Le Floch #1)

Since this is the first book of this series, the plot takes some time in order to speed up the narrative. A series to be followed.
Natalie aka Tannat

I should write this in French but I don’t feel like it. Overall it was ok but not great, and the series has potential. My main issue with this book was that it took forever to read. It may have only been just 300-some pages, but it felt like almost a thousand. Now, I don’t know whether it was the long chapters or the fact that I was reading it on my ereader and it might have gone better had I opted for print…maybe I’ll try to get a physical copy of the next in the series. Or maybe I sho
Duncan
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
French? Check. Ancien régime? Check. Crime? Check. A pretty perfect holiday read for me then, or so I thought.
While I can’t claim to know much about the period, I've enjoyed other books set around the era (Pure, The Count of Monte Cristo) and fancied returning to it.

The opening scene had me excited. Tense and evocative, I looked forward to getting to the bottom what seemed to be the beginnings of an interesting mystery. Sadly, it wasn’t long before the blemishes began to show.

Whether due to poor
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Margaret Kearney
I was quiet looking forward to this book.Historical fictional mysteries are my fave genre.But I was a bit disappointed with this book.I think it may have something to do with the fact its a translated book.French humour,style of writing and speech is slightly different from English so I dont think the story translates too well.I found the character dialogue a bit stilted and baffling at times.And the mystery wasnt very exciting.I also found I couldnt identify with the main character.The characte ...more
Kate
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would really like to read the succeeding books in this series I have just discovered. Considering how good this is one is surprised that - despite the fact that these need to be translated from the French - the American public is not yet familiar with Parot's work.

Set in Paris at the time of Louis XIV, you might think this is just another historical mystery, but the protagonist is quite endearing in his naiveté and in the maturity he has gained by the last page. Good character development. The
Patric
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery thrown into the historical fiction pile -- and it works! You walk in Paris of old and even the stench is there....gritty, sharp and very well done!
Benjamin baschinsky
Very confusing
Camille de Fleurville
After I had finished "The Unburied", I was still not in the mood for some "serious" reading. I thought about "The Quincunx" by the same author (Charles Palliser) and brought it my bedside before dinner. Then, it being a fine evening with both Girls, I induced them to watch three short TV programmes about some "affairs" of French history, which may have been enigmas or mysteries : the case of the poisons under Louis XIV (1680), the assassination of Henry IV (1610), and the end of the Order of the ...more
Orion
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting yet easy to read. The author moves the heroic and good-natured Nicolas Le Floch through the historic landscape of mid eighteenth century France. Mostly it gives an interesting picture of the era, and one wonders how a government that appeared so strong and invincible was doomed to be destroyed within a few decades. At times the inclusion of historic names and places seems contrived and detracts from the narrative. Nicolas, like other historic novel heroes, has modern sen ...more
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful French mystery set in the 18th century. Nicholas Le Floch is appointed as an investigator to solve a mysterious death and to help Monsieur de Sartine, Lieutenant General of Police in Paris to find important sensitive State documents that have gone missing.

The author creates a mesmerizing atmosphere that allows the reader to almost smell the foul air in Paris and feel the crunch of snow underfoot. The book is full of interesting scenes and well developed characters. As this is
Lidia
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book about crime and history. I read this kind of genre for the first time and it's amazing. I love it.

The book is complexe of facts, history and good crime. Excellent writing style and very memorable characters.I liked the little details about the food, the style of living in this era. The plot was very interesting. In one time you think you know who the murderer is and it changes immediatly.That's a good thriller - to have alot of surprises while you are reading it.

I hugely reccomend
Caitlin
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was nervous to read this after seeing very mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. The main character is interesting and charming, Paris is well-illustrated (although maybe slightly over described) and the mystery was well-paced. I am surprised by how much I did enjoy it! Only lost a star for the ending, a type I never really appreciate in mysteries. But still a wonderful period read, and I hope there is a second!
The Twins
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Le Floch is a great character and the setting in Paris in the 1760's is authentic and interesting! Will definitely read more of Jean-Francois Parot
K
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying mystery, well worth reading. I enjoyed the historical aspects of the novel, learning more about Paris in the time of Louis XV.
Frostling
This is a book I enjoyed for its description of Parisian life in 1761. There are colorful characters and a charming vocabulary, with words that I encountered for the first time.

The investigation, on the other hand, left me dissatisfied. There are several repetitions and what is mysterious at the beginning rapidly becomes obvious. There are moments where Nicolas Le Floch, who can be very clever, behaves like he doesn’t see the clues that are right in front of him. The dinner scene at Noblecourt’s
Denis Davidson
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable excursion into 18thC Paris.Squalor and luxury co-exist,petty crime is common, and physical assaults are frequent. In a complex tale, Parot introduces us to Le Floch, a newcomer to the Paris police. He quickly establishes a healthy working relationship with Antoine de Sartine, under whose expert guidance criminals need to rethink their felonious intent. There are fascinating details about French cuisine and fashion, cheek by jowl with descriptive passages that the all perva ...more
Linda
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the original French version of this and really enjoyed it. The detective aspect is very good but the vocabulary and way life in Paris at the time is described with all the intrigues contributed even more to the pleasure of reading it. I shall definitely read some more in this series.

The television adaptation of this is also excellent.
Lisa
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few too many characters for my distracted brain to keep track of. Interesting characters with many plot twists and a smattering of period life. It needs an additional editor for proper comma usage, which was only minimally annoying.
Saumya
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of extensive description and historical fiction, this is the book for you. My reading of Parot's book required a few breaks so I could process all the Gothic description -- despite this, I enjoyed the overall effect.
Ric Parks
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I loved the writing style and the period detail but the story itself was way way too drawn out for my taste. It felt like a whole lot of filler.
Michael Rhode
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very slow going, perhaps due to the translation? I'll try volume 2, as the author gives a nice sense of the crappiness of even the best lives in 18th C France.
Bibliophile
I had very high hopes for this series but the first book was just ok; nowhere near as good as Imogen Robertson's series set in late 18th-century England.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3)
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • S.O.S. Météores (Blake et Mortimer, #8)
  • L'Affaire du collier (Blake et Mortimer, #10)
  • The History of Magic: From Alchemy to Witchcraft, from the Ice Age to the Present
  • La Horde du Contrevent
  • Des jours sauvages
  • Là où va l'indien (XIII, #2)
  • Burning Girls and Other Stories
  • Le Secret de l'Espadon - 3 (Blake et Mortimer, #3)
  • Sioban (Complainte des landes perdues, #1)
  • Le Secret de l'Espadon - 2 (Blake et Mortimer, #2)
  • Blackmore (Complainte des landes perdues, #2)
  • Le Secret de l'Espadon - 1 (Blake et Mortimer, #1)
  • Dame Gerfaut (Complainte des landes perdues, #3)
  • Toutes les larmes de l'enfer (XIII #3)
  • L'Énigme de l'Atlantide (Blake et Mortimer, #7)
  • Le Rayon «U» (Blake et Mortimer, #0)
Jean-François Parot is a French diplomat and writer of historical mysteries, born in Paris.

Nicolas Le Floch (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Man with the Lead Stomach