Start by marking “Accessibility for Everyone” as Want to Read:
Accessibility for Everyone

Accessibility for Everyone

(A Book Apart #23)

A guide for the accessibility landscape: understand disability and impairment challenges; get a handle on important laws and guidelines; and learn how to plan for, evaluate, and test accessible design.

Tools and techniques like clear copywriting, well-structured IA, meaningful HTML, and thoughtful design, to create a solid set of best practices
Paperback, 1, 166 pages
Published September 26th 2017 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Accessibility for Everyone, please sign up.
Dhuaine I'd say no. This book is geared specifically for total beginners and covers only the basics. It's very short and more about putting the idea of what w…moreI'd say no. This book is geared specifically for total beginners and covers only the basics. It's very short and more about putting the idea of what web accessibility is into people's minds, rather than what can actually be done about it.

Are you looking for something for developers, designers, or just one big fit-for-all? Unfortunately, I'm finding many accessibility books lacking. They're often too simplistic, and the one big compendium (Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance) is sadly out of date, so you have to distill the problems described there and find modern techniques to solve them yourself.
Newer/more specific knowledge is scattered across several books.

(Web accessibility consultant and developer here :))(less)

Start your review of Accessibility for Everyone
Amy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who cares, even a little, about Web accessibility. An empathetic read with helpful details to get anyone started on accessibility. The resource list alone is worth your time and money!
Monika
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Focuses on a high-level view of accessibility. Great info about the different kinds of disabilities, and adaptive technology but only one chapter of technical info like ARIA.
Dhuaine
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech
Too short and simplistic to be of use to anyone. It throws around some ideas with almost no actionable advice. I wouldn't even recommend it as a primer for beginners, because even as "food for thought" and a collection of ideas for further research it doesn't cover enough to point people in all the necessary directions.

1) Types of disability and assistive technology - this is by far the biggest part of the book, but misses touch screens, high contrast mode and other non-obvious ways of access.

Natasha
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked the author’s approach to accessibility and overview of the different types of disabilities. Otherwise, I didn’t get much from this book. Mozilla Developer Network (MDN)’s documentation and 18F’s Accessibility Guide are better resources for creating accessible websites. This one could have easily been reduced to the length of an article.

The examples were good, but I was expecting more case studies. I was disappointed it didn’t cover data visualizations, either. Communicating insights fro
サイ
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I luv it.
Michael
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best accessibility primer I’ve ever read. Instead of jumping into the minutia of WCAG she explains the principles of inclusive design and keeps the humans at the center.
Joe
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read! Lots of great information and actionable steps to start making your websites accessible. Provided a lot of context for things I “sort of” knew. And she didn’t just focus on a11y testing or tools, but how to make good, usable websites.
Stringy
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great overview or introduction to accessibility. I'll particularly be recommending this to people in leadership roles who want to know how to support a team in making an accessible product. Developers looking for in-depth code samples might prefer Heydon Pickering's book, but this will be a great starting point for many people. ...more
Paula
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this from cover to cover and I don't quite recommend it. There is a plethora of information about accessibility and how to use it. Yet you may think you know how to build a web page or web app to be successful, am I right? Well think again! Many of the best practices will make you realize that you don't know much about what makes a page successful. For example, form error messages. We love them we love them when we are using the net. They guide us along and allow us to know when a problem ...more
Aaron Chu
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
As with my other experiences with A Book apart, this book discuss accessibility at a relatively high level. There is one chapter dedicated to a light discussion on the importance of semantic HTML, and the use of WAI-ARIA roles, but the examples to demonstrate these concepts are few. In particular, I agree with Kalbag's evangelism for sematic HTML, but do not agree with her perspectives that considers WAI-ARIA as a last resort for web accessibility (p.120). I think that while WAI-ARIA is a last r ...more
Jess
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book exceeded my expectations. It’s the short, action-packed accessibility guidebook our field needs.

Throughout the book, the author explains accessibility from many angles. She shows you how to write accessible code. She explains how to use color effectively in your visual designs. She even shows you how to include people with disabilities (PWD) in user research studies.

I was delighted to read about the latter. Including PWD in user research is a great way to identify accessibility issue
Sarah Lashinsky
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: designers, software
I have read other A Book Apart books that were a little bit more enjoyable to learn from, but this was a good, educational read. Personally, I found the author's tone to be a bit pedantic in this book, which can make a learner feel judged. There could also be some cultural nuance to the writing style (the writer is British) that are too direct for my American sensibilities. I have read other things Laura Kalbag has written online and she seems lovely! Perhaps this was an editing decision.

I notic
Ivan Lam
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good overview on making the web accessible, touching on major areas with some specific examples. I would say this is a good primer to get people started on accessibility, but there is so much more to learn.

There are a few sections for the practical side, highlighting common solutions to certain accessibility problems, but I wish there were more. I know the web is ever-changing and prescribing specific solutions would get outdated quickly, but I would still appreciate having more specific strateg
Ed Barton
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 160 short pages, you will get good reasons for the importance of accessibility and methods for making sites accessible. Packed with information and containing a good appendix of resources and other useful guidance, the book will put you on the right track for accessibility in website design. Written from a UK perspective, the book is applicable to US designers as well - as the author notes - www means "world wide web" for a reason. Good book. ...more
Mark
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a really great book. Good enough that I would like to have my company order several hundred copies and distribute them to developers, designers, and product owners. I think this is a really good entry-level guide to Accessibility. The author covers a lot of great topics and emphasizes many things that I also do professionally.

Furkan Sakar
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
it is not a comprehensive guide for accessibility. It creates the awareness for accessibility. Main message inside the book is that accessibility should be a main concern like performance, To understand the rules of accessibility, it is important to understand disabilities.
Liang Gang Yu
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
More than just being interested in Accessibility, I picked up this book in participation of our UX book club in March 2018. It is a complete high-level introduction of the field, sparing anything technically heavy. Generally a pleasant read, a carefully written primer.

Patty
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An empathetic and highly accessible book about web accessibility. I love her focus on universal design and I hope that more and more web developers and designers take this to heart. Accessibility really DOES make the web better for everyone!
Erin Newby
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone somewhat familiar with accessibility, I found this book a lot easier to grasp than many others. The content is easy to read and it gives a broad overview of the foundational principles. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in the practice. ...more
Evan
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
If you design or build websites and you don't know much about accessibility (a11y), you definitely need to read this book. If you design or build software in general, there's still probably a lot you can get from this book. ...more
Bookhaven
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An essential text for anyone doing web design or creating website content. I appreciated the resources at the end of the book, which led me to other useful information. Written in a concise way that allows the reader to get the information without the fluff.
Jedi Lin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a tech-heavy book, but a great introduction and concept book for Web Accessibility in this HTML5 era.
Martin Young
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great high-level introduction to Accessibility and why it's important to consider the needs of everyone when designing a product. ...more
Eryn
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good read. A great primer on the subject.
Webb Henderson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: product-design
Seems like a topic that should be boring - but delivered in a way that's surprisingly interesting and helpful. ...more
chysbl
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Aimed for beginners who just want a general overview of accessibility. The content is easy to digest and I learned some new bits and pieces along the way.
Maxwell
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must-read for any front-end developer!
Ardavan Mir
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book talks about accessibility at a fundamental level. It's a great starting point if you're new to inclusive design. ...more
Brenna
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good stuff, i learned alot (and managed to read something not completely self-indulgent yaaaa goo meee)

Gonna steal all the best arguments for my a11y pitch at my co 😃
Brad
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: webdevelopment
Good, concise book that makes a clear and convincing argument about the importance of accessibility in web design and then goes on to demystify ways to actually make your sites accessible.

• Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Cross-Cultural Design
  • Everyday Information Architecture
  • Atomic Design
  • Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design
  • Design Systems: A practical guide to creating design languages for digital products
  • Writing for Designers
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Refactoring UI
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design
  • Eure Heimat ist unser Albtraum
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • What Kind of Woman
  • Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers