Start by marking “Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery” as Want to Read:
Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery

Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery

Jessica Fletcher meets Aunt Bea meets Odd Thomas in this Southern Gothic Paranormal Mystery with a dose of romance from award-winning novelist John G. Hartness.

Lila Grace Carter is your favorite new detective, you just don’t know it yet. She’s determined, smart, caring, and sassy as the day is long. She also talks to dead people. Of course, as she puts it, “I’m Southern.
Published October 3rd 2017 by Falstaff Books

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery

Start your review of Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery
BJ
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Great writing pulled me into the story, the setting - South, and the slow burn romance. This is a gentle story about murder, if I can say such a thing. There was a sweet slow burn, romance with older couple - very unusual, and it felt so real. The characters seems perfectly real for a small town setting, and it felt as if I had met and knew them. The plot was easy to follow, and the reveal had enough angst to make it feel believable. Loved it and didn't want it to end.
Judith Gockel
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A loving and lovable story.

An amazingly deep and tender book; Hartness has written about a place and about people he understands and cares for. While Bubba and Q. are tons of fun, these folks live and breathe, and make this reader care about them.

Please sir, may I have some more?
April Schilling
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Grace is such a great read! Lila Grace is awesome and I loved getting to know her in this first book. She's a little old Southern lady who talks to ghosts. What could be better than that! I can't wait for the next book!
Matthew Dodd
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is truly a beautiful love letter to all things small town southern. Hartness clearly has a deep seeded love for his roots and it reflects in every world of this paranormal masterpiece.
Right off the bat, I love that he found a way around the “why don’t the dead just tell us who killed them” conundrum. This story has enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing up until the moment where they main characters figure it out. Speaking of the characters, they are all very well written as d
Candy Robosky
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Murder She Wrote meets the Medium, October 25, 2017
Edit Review
Delete Review
This review is from: Amazing Grace - A Southern Paranormal Mystery (Kindle Edition)
Amazing Grace is a wonderful take on a mystery. I loved that Lila was just a regular woman who just so happens to beagle to hold conversations with the dead. This is not one of those mysteries where the ghost knows who killed them but the detective has to prove it. This is so much better because no one knows and everyone is making discoveri
Marinda
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book from the author and chose to leave a review.
This is a great story and I fell in love with Lila Grace Carter the main heroine in this fun read. She not only sees dead people she can talk to them and they talk back. As she says to the new sheriff Willis Dunleavy " I'm southern. We all talk to read people down here. The only difference with me is they talk back. " when he questions her abilities.
When 16 years old Jenny Miller is killed she shows up at the home of Lil
Becky D Allen
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended Read!

I loved this story and its characters Lila Grace and Willis Dunleavy. For me, they were relatable, like your favorite eccentric aunt and easy going uncle. And that this book was a quick glimpse into their lives that your Momma would normally want to keep you from really learning about as she hushed you and sent you back to your room. I urge you to read this and learn more! You'll be much happier that you did.
I do have to say that I stopped on this book only because I recognized
Donald O'Dell
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from one off my favorite authors

John Hardness is rapidly rising to the top of my list of favorite authors. This new character Lila Grace is great. She is a younger version of Miss Marple crossed with the ghost whispered if they were southern. Lila Grace talks to the dead and they speak back. This is a slice of unlife romantic detective novel. You get to know the characters in the town both the living and the dead. The author brings humor and warmth along with his love for southern
The_Books_Music_Life
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
Sue
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect when I first received a copy of this book. Paranormal mysteries are usually not my kind of books to read, but I have to say that it hooked me from page one and I stayed up late to finish the book. Lila Grace is a southern lady with a gift to see and speak to ghosts. Lila doesn't care if people think she is a bit crazy; her mission in life is to help the newly departed resolve their issues so that they can find the light. Lila has wit, style, and doesn't take no for a ...more
Renay Marsh
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grace is a HOOT! Anyone who grew up in South Carolina and is middle age has a relative like her, maybe not the 'ghosts talk to' her part, but in every other aspect. In fact Grace reminds me of an aunt of mine who passed away a few years ago. Like Grace this aunt was talked about, spurned, and yet loved at the same time, all be it for an entirely different reason.

What about the plot? Oh, it kept me glued to the book since I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.
I won't say anymore becaus
Alice Koontz
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gothic mystery with a few good laughs

This book was very hard to read at first. The content was good. The character development was good. The way it’s written is what I had a hard time getting past. It is definitely a heavy southern accent with words and phrases I was not used to.
It starts with two young girls being murdered, but the book was so much more; a little romance, a little joking, a lot of talking to the dead.
The book isn’t much of a mystery. It is, but you don’t get any clues or a re
John
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed John Harness' take on using ghosts and mediums to help solve a murder mystery. Usually ghosts are not doing good things, like scaring people and throwing things around, but this time, the ghosts actually help come to the rescue all the while displaying their old southern charm, which permeates the entire book. It is also a tender love story of love gone wrong, of love not found, and of potential love in the here and now. The slow careful interactions between the two main living ...more
April
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was recommended by a friend. Even though I thought it was a little "awe shucks hokey" I like the fact that it's set in South Carolina and does accurately get the rural southern atmosphere perfectly. I was also pleasantly releaved that the male and female lead characters were both adults (57 years of age in Lila Grace's case). It gets monotonous constantly reading about teenagers and twenty-somethings so bravo to the author for the adult love interest in this one! I loved that part of it. Th ...more
Lucy Blue
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adored this book. From reading the description, I was a little hesitant just because as a 54-year-old woman, I don't love being lumped in with Aunt Bea and Jessica Fletcher. But Lila Grace is amazing; I am proud to be known as part of her demographic. She's smart and sassy and all the things we readers want our Southern heroines to be. But she's also sexy and empathetic and genuinely kind--not sweet, never sweet, but genuinely kind. And the mystery works, too. I didn't get impatient w ...more
Pamela
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

For someone living in the north, but who grew up in the south this book is basically my family. I enjoyed this book so very much. It has terrific visual writing, excellent characters, and the story was fantastic. I can’t think about one thing I would consider changing. I sincerely hope there will be more from the author because I’m fully invested in the life and happiness of Lila Grace.
MayBook
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
One reader describe it as "Murder She Wrote meets the Medium" which in my opinion is a perfect description. It's a funny, slightly romantic book about a Lila Grace, a former Sunday school teacher, who can see ghost. With the help of the local sheriff and her friendly ghost, she is trying to solve a murder of a teenage girl. The story has a little bit of everything (mystery, paranormal touch, romance and humor) put together in a prefect package for a short, interesting read.
Cheri Schaefer
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please keep this Southern Paranormal Mystery going!!

I would rate this higher than a 5!
It was an extraordinary mystery in so
many ways! It had intrigue, humour,
love and " I can't believe that " moments.
I absolutely loved this book and sincerely
hope the author will decide to make a
series out of it!!!! Grace is amazing and I
love the southern charm of it all. Great,
great mystery!!!!
Amy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unconventional murder mystery

When this book popped up in my recommendations in Kindle to read, I thought why not. I like the author even thought all I had read by him before this was Quincy Harker Season One. It was a good read: a nice modern mystery set in a small Southern town involving a medium and the new Sheriff in town. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don’t give spoilers but if you like a nice mystery, this is for you!
Andrea  oller
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling!!

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a book and it's characters as much as I did with this book! And I read a lot!!! To me most books seem to have some level of repetition and "filler". So much that I often skip a paragraph here and there being as I know I'm not missing something that won't be repeated soon. I read every word of this book, I loved it that much! So thank you Mr. Hartness, you just got another follower!
Erin Penn
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I laughed a lot while reading the book. All of the normal Hartness humor found in his Urban Fantasy series, Bubba the Monster Hunter and Black Knight Chronicles, somehow changed into cozy mystery with a 57-year old woman.

And that, THAT, folks is author's voice.

Funny, and sweet, and strong, Ms. Lila Grace (the main character) is someone I would love to know.

I really can't say much about the mystery and other stuff because about 20% of the way in, my book club met and discussed the story, so I got
Sandra
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I loved this book just the right mix of murder mayhem mystery and romance i loved the small town southern being i am from small southern town i loved the authors writing style i will be looking for more and beg on my knees this is a long series for Lila Grace and Willis good book 👍
Alyson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read!

This was a fun read that was quick and entertaining. It got a little weird in the middle when the romance started but maybe because I didn't see that coming. I must have painted a different picture of the characters in my mind at the beginning that made the romance weird. But overall delightful and really fun!!
Michelle VanDaley
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this Author and I am anxious to read more. I enjoyed the writing and the characters. The pacing and world building were on point. You can't help but become invested in these crazy characters. A very enjoyable mystery suspense with a tad bit of romance mixed in.
Sharon
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Grace

Lila Grace is a real hoot, I absolutely love her attitude

I would recommend that this not be read whilst eating or drinking as some of the lines are definitely laugh out loud moments

"I was gifted a copy of Amazing Grace and I voluntarily state that this is my honest review"
Kim Switzer
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this charming, cozy, ghostly mystery! Lila Grace is a delight, and I really believed all of the characters were real. I hope we get more of these. It was like sitting back and putting my feet up and hearing a great story from old friends.
Beverly Wood
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I love reading the old southern sayings I grew up with. It’s comforting. Love Ms. Lila Grace and her Sheriff, and I certainly do hope there’s more to come.
Y’all read this now, ya heah?
Rod Pyle
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful trip through the haunted south

An aging spinster who talks to hosts and solves crimes... Hartness at his be.st! I've enjoyed his other books, but this one had a sweetness that was unique. A true page-turner.
Donna
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read featuring a strong central character I wouldn't mind meeting up with again. The plot got just a bit predictable about halfway through, but the narrative voice was entertaining enough that I didn't mind much.
Britt Tynes
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read, laughs, cries, and suspense

Lovely book that will keep you guessing, come on laugh and cry with the character. Well written flows nicely. Can't wait to read more of the work
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lost Girl (The Lost Trilogy, #1)
  • Semi-Psychic Life (Glimmer Lake, #2)
  • The Promise
  • The Vow
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Grave Humor (Magical Romantic Comedies, #10)
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • The Lost Orphans (Rachel Harroway Paranormal Mysteries Book 2)
  • The Oath (Clyde Barker Paranormal Mysteries Book 3)
  • Ghost Mortem (Haunted Everly After #1)
  • Healing of the Wolf (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #5)
  • The Girl in the Manor (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #3)
  • Devil Days in Deadwood (Deadwood, #11)
John G. Hartness is a teller of tales, a righter of wrong, defender of ladies’ virtues, and some people call him Maurice, for he speaks of the pompatus of love.

He is also the award-winning author of the urban fantasy series The Black Knight Chronicles (Bell Bridge Books), the Bubba the Monster Hunter comedic horror series, the Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter dark fantasy series, and many other projec

News & Interviews