Start by marking “The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington” as Want to Read:
The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington

The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington

A thought-provoking novel that imagines what would have happened if the British had succeeded in kidnapping General George Washington, for fans of alternate histories like The Plot Against America , The Guns of the South and The Man in the High Castle .

Published June 26th 2018 by Hanover Square Press

Melinda Young It depends on your definition of "clean." There are mild 18th century oaths, and while several characters die violently, nothing is described in detai…moreIt depends on your definition of "clean." There are mild 18th century oaths, and while several characters die violently, nothing is described in detail.(less)

Start your review of The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington
Richard Derus
Real Rating: 2.5* of five

Way way way way too many uses of the dreaded "As you know..." locution, though that's a poor choice of words on my part because NO. ONE. SAYS. IT. in conversation. In every single instance of the clunky phrase's appearance, I could easily recast the info to be dumped and made it a lot less stodgy.

In general, Author Rosenberg isn't a flashy writer, doesn't dig deep into the English language's treasure chest to get le mot juste, evidenced by his prior works (eg, Death On a
Matt
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Charles Rosenberg, and Hanover Square Press for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

In this novel of alternate history, Charles Rosenberg asks the reader to ponder what might have happened if the British Crown had been able to get their hands on General George Washington and bring him to justice in an English Court. In the dead of night, off the New Jersey coast, Colonel Jeremia
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jeremiah Black, an officer of the King’s Guard and British special agent, lands on the beach in late 1780 when the American Revolution is at its height but is currently deadlocked between the two sides. Black's mission is to change the tide of the war by kidnapping George Washington and sneaking him back to London on nearby ship with help from American Loyalists. Some of the Loyalists, though, would prefer to just kill Washington
Shomeret
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am very aware that I decided to read and review an alternate history about America's first President that sounds dire on President's Day weekend. I would like readers to know that this book by Charles Rosenberg shows George Washington in a very positive light for the most part. I received it from the publisher via Net Galley in return for this review.

The fact that Rosenberg's novel is an alternate history means that the book was quite suspenseful for me because I had no idea of how far it wo
Benjamin Thomas
In this alternate history novel, the year is 1780 and the British Prime Minster has dispatched a special agent to kidnap George Washington and bring him back to London to stand trial for treason. The concept is interesting to me for two reasons. First, I almost always enjoy a good alternate history scenario. That sort of “what-if” plot usually leads to intriguing stories and this novel is definitely proof of that. Secondly, I am a fan of George Washington, as well as the Revolutionary War in gen ...more
Jan
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The American Revolution (or Rebellion depending upon your POV) is dragging on, pretty much at a stalemate. It’s causing thousands of lives for both America and Britain. Britain’s treasury is strapped by this war and ongoing ones with France and Spain. First Minister Lord North sends Colonel Jeremiah Black to the colonies to kidnap Washington and bring him back for trial as a traitor to the king. He hopes having Washington as a pawn will focus negotiations and bring the hostilities to an end with ...more
Sarah Perchikoff
When I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. I love history and any kind of spin on it will probably end up on my TBR list. While I tend to lean more towards World War II and the Regency Era, I know enough about the American Revolution to immediately want to see what this book had in store. Also, any book with the word "traitor" in the title is probably going to catch my eye. I was intrigued by the premise of if Washington was kidnapped by the British and wanted to know whether th ...more
Ashley
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dizzying, imaginative ride through alternative history, theorizing what would've happened if George Washington had been kidnapped in the middle of the American Revolution and spirited back to London for trial. Admittedly it was an action heavy story and the characters were a little flimsy. (Fantasy authors tend to have both action AND great characters, but that's neither here nor there.)

What I liked best was how the author managed to work in some genuine surprises, including courtroom drama o
Ameetha Widdershins
The story was better than the writing.
Rana
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I mean, sure. Fascinating idea but nothing ever fully clicked for me. No emotional heft or depth of the characters. And the history stuff just wasn't nerdy enough either.
Mal Warwick
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I admit it. The real reason I read alternate history is that I’m fascinated by what-if speculation about the twists and turns of history. What keeps me reading are the imagined consequences that flow from events that didn’t happen or decisions that were never made. To my disappointment, this was not the case with Charles Rosenberg‘s otherwise excellent novel, The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington. I was hoping to learn whether the general was, indeed, the “indispensable man” h ...more
stephanie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasant surprise. As a huge American history fan I found this “what if “ book to be fascinating. What if attempts to kidnap General Washington were successful and he was put in trial for his crimes. Interesting study of British law and legal proceedings as well. I will look to find more of these types of books
peg
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of the “Reading Through the Ages” challenge here on GR. It filled the slot for Alternative History.
I found it quite interesting to read and many of the characters were actually living during that time frame. The pacing of the kidnapping of Gen. George Washington and his imprisonment in the Tower of London during his trial had me racing through to find out if he would be hanged as a traitor and anxious to read some actual history of that period!
Janet
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---
A thought-provoking novel that imagines what would have happened if the British had succeeded in kidnapping General George Washington, for fans of alternate histories like The Plot Against America, The Guns of the South and The Man in the High Castle.
British special agent Jeremiah Black, an officer of the King’s Guard, lands on a lonely beach in the wee hours of the morn
Samantha
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Normally I don't care for alternate histories in fiction. "What if "X" major historical event never happened/ended differently" books usually end up feeling gimmicky and leave me mumbling "yeah...but that's NOT how it went." Odd as it is that we can suspend our disbelief to enjoy a book about werewolves or time travel more easily than if someone imagines that, say, the Romanovs were never assassinated, using this theme for a novel and succeeding is no small feat.

So given that, I was skeptical ab
LillyBooks
This was a fascinating book, albeit not perfect.

There's nothing interesting about the way this speculative history is told. It's only subject + predicate here, folks. Rosenberg is clearly trying to out-Hemingway Hemingway, with nary an adverb in sight and the only two adjectives being the red and the blue of the respective soldiers' coats. If fact, when he does take pains to describe one person's attire, it correctly sent my Spidey sense tingling, which was perhaps too much telegraphing of the e
Anna
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"A trial of the traitor will be most welcome. I might even attend."--King George III

The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington is part spy novel, part political drama, part legal drama. But, despite all of that, it's incredibly slow. There is so little tension throughout that I found myself growing a bit bored with it all.

Additionally, Rosenberg has a habit of jumping from following one character to another with no warning, which can be a bit confusing to follow.

Despite all of that
Samuel Noack
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Yeah, not good. Concept is interesting, but never gets as exciting as I'd hoped. Not to mention the dialogue, which is boring at best and revoltingly dull all other times. Nothing interesting about any of the characters. Changes perspectives in a really non-conflicting way, so I just felt indifferent to anything that did develop. When something interesting does happen, it's told in such a bland way.
Mark Capps
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise for an alternative historical fiction, but hobbled by prose that clanks along from one indigestible chunk of character-delivered exposition to another. Geeky tibits, but no poetry.
Anne
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just meh. I expected a little more derring-do, a little more “oomph” from the General of the Revolution instead of his slightly witty asides.
Sarmat Chowdhury
An alternative timeline book, the story follows the premise of what has now been found to be historically accurate - there were plans to kidnap General Washington to weak the Continental Army and the American Revolution in its infancy. It cannot be disputed that for the character that is one of the most dynamic and important founding father in American history, General George Washington is paramount to the success of the revolution, and indeed the experiment that is American democracy.

Rosenberg
Elizabeth Cole
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Original review can be found at: http://www.nerdprobs.com/books/book-r...

**A copy of this novel was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

While the cover of this book was rather bland, the eye-catching title made up for it. The trial and execution of the traitor of George Washington. That sentence in of itself was enough for me to request this book. The other thing was the description of being an alternative ending to the American Revolution. I found that fas
Darren
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
TITLE: The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington

AUTHOR: Charles Rosenberg

GENRE: Alternate History

PAGES: 432

I am a sucker for the “What If” story. It appeals to the history lover in me. Most of the “What If?” books involve World War II. This is the first time I have read one involving The Revolutionary War, much less one about the capture of George Washington.

In The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington, Charles Rosenberg gives us a tale of what would happen if Gener
Shannon Whalen Fellows
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Dunlap
At the time of the American Revolution, a British agent is commissioned by Prime Minister North to infiltrate the rebel lines, kidnap General George Washington, and bring him to London to face trial for treason. Abraham Hobhouse, an American attorney living in the British capital, married to the boss's daughter, is engaged by Ethan Abbott, who has been sent by the Continental Congress, to defend Washington. But whereas Lord North constructed this gambit as a way to hasten the end of the rebellio ...more
Donna
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Phil
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, I refer you to Sarah's review.

I found the book enjoyable, with the 'excitement" in the beginning and end of the book, with a prolonged middle that seemed to drag.

Wait! There is method to the madness! Washington's "arrest" occurred late in 1780, with the trial not until April, 1781. It took a vessel between five to seven weeks to cross the Atlantic, depending on the currents and the weather.

People in London received news from the Colonies that was already "stale," perhaps incorrect,
T.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway, historical
I received an advance copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway courtesy of the publisher. This did not affect my review.

While this is not typically a book that I would pick up, I had just finished watching Turn , an AMC series about a farmer who becomes a spy during the Revolutionary War, and I thought this would be fun to read. It took me a while to get into the book, but once Washington was in England and it was a race against time, I couldn't put the book down.

Charles Rosenberg explor
James
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't think anyone will ever call this great writing, but it was a quick and satisfying read when I really needed one.

Many of the reasons why I like this book are personal. Major Andre is a favorite historical figure of this period. I also have visited the Southern campaign battlefields mentioned in the book. That is endearing AF. Other readers are unlikely to share these feelings.

That said, the writing was awkward at times. The next time I hear 'blood and treasure', I'm liable to beat someone
Katie
The speculative/alternate history premise is a winner. Great job holding some low-level tension until the end about the title's predictive accuracy. Several key characters - esp. Washington, North, King George, Abbott, Hobhouse, & the sculptress - ring very true. Others are less multi-dimensional. Black is esp. one-noted and less believable. But his role is critical and that keeps the plot moving. The legal argument (traitor vs. prisoner of war) is deftly handled and woven naturally into dialogu ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Update cover for B075R2CD6V 1 2 Mar 22, 2019 08:25AM

• The Sweetest Fruits
  • The Bastard Son (Winds of Change Book 2)
  • The Last Jews in Berlin
  • In Mind of the Vampire (English Historical Period Book 1)
  • Hidden (Dragonlands, #1)
  • The Governor's Daughter (Winds of Change #1)
  • Josephine's Daughter (The Golden City Book 5)
  • Hunted (Dragonlands, #2)
  • Eyes of Eagles
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
  • Retribution (Dragonlands, #3)
  • Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy
  • War Girl Ursula (War Girls #1)
  • Top Secret Alien Abduction Files: What the Government Doesn't Want You to Know
  • Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3)
  • Desolation (Dragonlands, #4)
  • You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington
Charles (“Chuck”) Rosenberg’s latest novel (his fifth) is the alternate history thriller The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington. It imagines what might have happened if the British, in the midst of the Revolution, had kidnapped George Washington and taken him back to England to be tried for high treason.

Chuck’s interest in the American Revolution was first piqued when his 5th gra