Start by marking “Planet of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Planet of the Dead

Planet of the Dead

(Planet of the Dead #1)

From the author of Feast and Reinheit comes a new chapter in horror...

News reports speak of mass panic and violence spreading across the globe. Negligent leaders hide behind misinformation. But in an age of paranoia and suspicion, who can say what is true any more? Struggling to survive against a sweeping epidemic that has engulfed the planet, survivors will have to make h
Published October 13th 2017 by Shadow Work Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Planet of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet of the Dead

Start your review of Planet of the Dead
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Review: Planet of the Dead by Thomas S. Flowers

No two ways about it: love this novella! If you're a zombie lover, you can't help but revel-the author loves this subgenre, and his devotion shines in every sentence. If you're convinced you don't love zombies, or you think zombies are long since overdone, or you believe all that could be said about them has been written: think again, seriously. Just
give PLANET OF THE DEAD a try. Read the first page; when you surface for air, you'll realize you rea
Tracy
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audible
"Planet of the Dead," written by Mr. Thomas Flowers, was released back in March of '18, and previously, I was not familiar with any of his work.

All I have to say is it was good! I listened to it on audible, and it was exciting zombie action, yet, what I especially enjoyed about this one is the main characters are teens, through early twenties, left (pretty much) to their own devices as they negotiate their horrifying, unpredictable new world. Having children in this age group, I was rooting for
Laura Thomas
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic, horror
An epidemic sweeps the planet. The dead rise, hungry for human flesh. Loved ones kill loved ones. The government denies it’s even happening.There’s no help coming and everyone must fend for themselves.

This scenario never gets old for me. I especially enjoy character dynamics. Seeing who actually comes up with a plan and implements it. Who falls victim through denial. And who turns on who. There’s that saying, I don’t have to outrun the killer bear. I just have to outrun you.

Flowers doesn’t disap
Thomas Flowers
Oct 09, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
“This is an ABC13 Eyewitness News Breaking Report, coming to you from Houston, Texas, I’m Melanie Lawson—”
“—and I’m Kevin Quinn filling in for Tracy Clemons.”
Camera pans back to Melanie in her usual navy-blue blazer and pearl white blouse. Her hair is normally kept in a curled bob, but in this early afternoon hour, she looks as if she hadn’t any time to comb her hair or even apply makeup.
“We’re coming to you with a Breaking News report. According to Jeff Slovak reporting on scene, Methodist Medi
Chad
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Over the past five years or so I have found myself gradually losing my enthusiasm for zombies. There are any number of reasons why this could be the case. Certainly the first could be that The Walking Dead has kind of saturated our brains a bit. But also, I think that the digital, demystified movies we see these days aren't as well suited for the vibe I want to feel from a good zombie story.

Now cue the music and bring on this book. Planet Of The Dead, by Thomas Flowers.

My favorite part of zomb
Valerie (Cats Luv Coffee)
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The zombie genre is actually one of my favorites. I love all the different ways that it can play out. I know you are thinking, "Really, Valerie? Zombies eat people. They are all the same." Ah, but they are not. They can be mindless, shuffling creatures, or fast, with a herd mentality. The virus can cause immediate reanimation upon death, or be a wasting sickness.

In Planet of the Dead, the author chose Door Number Two. The zombies are created from a super flu type virus. People get sick and then
Luann
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
so so

I enjoyed the feeling of linked stories giving us many perspectives of this universe and it was very unpredictable as to who would live or die. The writing was inconsistent and the editing was just terrible. That made the book seem extremely unprofessional and caused constant distraction from the stories being told. I won’t be getting the next one in the series simply because of that. I like a good zombie story but it loses its fizzle when it becomes poorly written gore.
Melanie Marsh
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Planet of the Dead is about, in a most basic description, a veteran and his girl, his best friend, and a convenience store employee during the start of the zombie apocalypse.

Thomas S. Flowers has a way making the reader feel actual emotions for his characters. He did it in the other book by him I read as well, called Feast. The emotions that Jonny experienced in the beginning of the book were heart wrenching if you’ve ever known someone in a similar situation.

Each of his characters experience
Todd Oliver
This is told from the point of view from several different characters. Each has their own short story and some are killed off rather quickly. I enjoyed each story but they all seemed to be lacking a bit. I'm hoping this was just a starting point to a good series. I've enjoyed other books by this author, so I'm definitely hoping for more. Excellent narration by Rick Gregory! He made the book interesting. ...more
Jason
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recieved an ARC for an honest review and have to say wow! A fresh Take on the zombie genre if it was anybody else I would have declined but he is one of my favorite authors. I so recommend this book to anyone who wants a little journey.
Joan
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read!

I love how this book has short stories about how different characters came upon the zombie virus and their reactions to it. I would recommend this fast paced, character driven story to anyone who enjoys the zombie/horror genre.
Jay Ward
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Promising

The story has a lot of promise for development and growth. The author presents interesting and compelling characters and I look forward to seeing their paths, decisions and adventures in future chapters.
Andretta Schellinger
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like how it was a collection of stories from different povs but I did not like how it ended.
Victory Peterson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Yes it's a zombie novel but this book got me reading every chance I had. Great characters, starting from the beginning. My kind of read. Check it out you won't be disappointed.
Leigh
May 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oh, dear gods, what a mess! One-dimensional characters in a rambling mess of a story-line, and a manuscript that is desperately in need of a proofreader and editor. There is also a tiny part of the novel set in Manchester (for no apparent reason whatsoever) - as a Brit, this is absolutely cringe-worthy, as the extent of the author's research into the UK appears to be through the likes of Last of the Summer Wine and the original series of Open All Hours. Needless to say, I will not be wasting tim ...more
Teresa
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm

The book started off good and I got a bit invested in Taj, Jonny, Polk and Karen.

Then they introduce more characters, many who die in their short chapter of time.

There is no continuity to the stories that make it cohesive at the beginning, and it ends up a jumbled mass of short chapters that all dead end.

Also, the editing was not good.
Deedra
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good,but very gross,zombie story.We get a view into a lot of peoples dealings with the new flu/whatever is changing people.No one wants to use the zombie word...but it fits.Rick Gregory was a good narrator for this.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Beth
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
BookLoversLife
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to summarise the plot of this without spoiling something, so all I'll say is it's a zombie story! It has blood, guts, death and mayhem throughout!!! It focuses on different characters, not all will survive, and tells their struggles from the start of the outbreak.

I actually really enjoyed this book! The main thing I enjoyed was the characters and seeing the outbreak take hold from their point of view! It just added some tension and made it feel more real. Usually I hate so many differe
Pauletta Harvey
Aug 07, 2018
Diane
Dec 21, 2018
Angelo
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2018
Sep 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Eliminators
  • Welcome to the United States of Anxiety: Observations from a Reforming Neurotic
  • Day Zero (Dead Texas #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Plank Children
  • Treaters (The Divine Conflict #1)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Creature
  • Unraveling (After The End #1)
  • Dead Cells
  • After the Cure (After the Cure, #1)
  • Within the Woods
  • The Bird Eater
  • Angel's Roar (Feathers and Fire, #4)
  • Silver Tongue (The Temple Chronicles, #4)
  • A Small World (Zombies! #1)
Thomas S. Flowers is an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom Army veteran who loves scary movies, BBQ, and coffee. Ever since reading Remarque’s "All Quiet on the Western Front" and Stephen King’s "Salem’s Lot" he has inspired to write deeply disturbing things that relate to war and horror, from the paranormal to his gory zombie infested PLANET of the DEAD series, to even his recent dabbli ...more

Planet of the Dead (3 books)
  • War for the Planet of the Dead