Start by marking “In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror” as Want to Read:
In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror

In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror

When commissioned to build a clockwork construct, wheelchair-bound Attacus doubts his abilities. Once powered up, his creation escapes and runs amok, destroying more than just the town he calls home. Hunting his deadly automaton forces him to confront his past.

He had no idea his creation would take him to the threshold between worlds.

And soon he finds himself ...

In
Published September 29th 2017 by Herbs House

To ask other readers questions about In the Company of False Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Company of False Gods

Start your review of In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror
The Grim Reader
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Steampunk Vs Lovecraft!

I wanted to try something a little different and different this certainly is. I've never read any Steampunk before and the added Lovecraft elements sounded interesting. I loved the second half of the story, where all Hell breaks loose and a path between the fabric of space and time is ripped open, unleashing all manner of tentacle goodness. The Steampunk thing didn't really float my boat. Still, this is an interesting mash-up of genres.

3/5 clockwork limbs from the Grim
 Reading Divergence
Review: IN THE COMPANY OF FALSE GODS: LOVECRAFTIAN HORROR by Mark Cassell

I wouldn't be surprised if this charming horror novella segues into a sequel, at some future date. "Steampunk Horror" is clearly a subgenre in whose playground author Mark Cassell is invigorated. Not only does he revel in it, he brings it alive and "makes it real." {I know, if I can believe in the Lovecraft Mythos, I can surely acknowledge an alternate probability of steam and mechanisms and clockwork. Indeed.} But my
Mark M J Green
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even if I wasn’t already a fan of Mark’s work, there were three words that when combined together really piqued my interest, and they were:
Lovecraftian. Steampunk. Horror.

Three of my favourite things combined? Why thank you very much Mark; that sounds awesome.

The story itself focuses on a man named Attacus who is well known across the world as a constructor of mechanical, well…constructs. Attacus lost his legs in an accident that involved one of his creations and has been feeling his enthusiasm
Miranda Kate
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark Cassell starts a brilliant new genre with this little tale: Steampunk Horror.

I really loved this tale, it had everything: the metal gadgets and mechanical inventions, airships with balloons (dirigible), pre-electricity Victorian-esque setting, mixed with dark horror, some gore, and a paranormal twist. Not many can combine all those elements with a fast paced, suspense filled story that keeps you attention to the very end.

With strong characters like Attacus & Greyheron, both of whom
M.K.Boers M.K.Boers
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

With strong characters like Attacus & Greyheron, both of whom
Lydian Faust
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although I have dabbled in the steampunk community as a costumer and cosplayer, enjoyed steampunk movies and PC games, I've not read much fiction that could be considered steampunk. This tale describes itself as "Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror" and that is a perfectly apt. I usually scoff at the overuse of the "Lovecraftian" but the dark creature and cosmic nature of this story merit the term. Reminiscent of the social science fiction writings of Tanith Lee and H.G. Wells, Cassell's story is rife ...more
Isabella Fulton
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My First Steampunk Horror Read

This book took me to a whole new universe, with mechanical inventions and mad inventors, there's enough blood and gore to keep the reader interested, I love the way the author describes everything that's happening, I didn't want the book to end.
Dean
Oct 09, 2017 added it
Thoroughly enjoyable!

A decent novella that's exactly what it says on the tin: Lovecraftian Steampunk horror. Some very nice little touches, well thought out and a genuine pleasure to read. Want a different kind of spooky this Halloween? Give Cassell a go, you'll enjoy it.
jenny wotton

• Put on a Happy Face
  • Rosalind
  • Bone Baby
  • The Alpha Plague #1-8
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Alien III
  • Nonsense Drolleries The Owl & The Pussy-Cat - The Duck & The Kangaroo.
  • Salvage
  • Needing Forever Volume #1 (The Rocker Universe)
  • Black Stars Above #1
Mark Cassell lives in a rural part of the UK where he often dreams of dystopian futures, peculiar creatures, and flitting shadows. Primarily a horror writer, his steampunk, dark fantasy, and SF stories have featured in several anthologies and ezines. His best-selling debut novel, The Shadow Fabric, is closely followed by the popular short story collection, Sinister Stitches, and are both only a ...more