Start by marking “The Princess and the Pit Stop” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Pit Stop

The Princess and the Pit Stop

Once upon a time there was a Princess . . .
. . . who made a pit stop.
While the Birds and Beasts changed her tires, her Fairy Godmother told her she was in last place! With just one lap left! She might as well give up!
Give up? Not THIS princess! Instead, she hit the gas!

Join Her Royal Highness in the driver’s seat for a mad dash to the finish in this exciting ode to auto
Published July 10th 2018 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pit Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Pit Stop

Start your review of The Princess and the Pit Stop
La Coccinelle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm not quite sure how to rate this one. As stories go, it's really thin. The gimmick is the fairy tale characters that the princess passes on her way to the finish line. The verbs are all tied in with their respective characters, which is cute (e.g., she leapt past the rabbits, spun out Rumpelstiltskin, charged past the knight, etc.). The ending made me smile (I won't spoil it for you, but it involves yet another fairy tale character).

The illustrations are probably the best part of the book.
Hannah Greendale
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, humor
Who says race cars are for boys? The princess puts the petal to the metal in this colorful, fast-paced, comedic race to the finish line. The Princess and the Pit Stop features myriad characters from well-known fairy tales like the wolf & the three little pigs ("She blew the doors off the Big Bad Wolf and smoke the Three Little Pigs") and the gingerbread man ("She CAN catch me!").
Ruth
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, childrens-books
The illustrations are wonderful, but the story is lacking.
Mehsi
How could I resist this book when I saw it? A princess? Auto racing? A cover that promised some awesome illustrations.

I just love princess stories, heck, even my blog name is Twirling Book Princess (though that mostly has to do with my fiance). I was definitely interested in seeing how a princess + auto racing would come together and fit together.

From the first page I was hooked. I mean come on, her pit stop team was a caterpillar (Alice in Wonderland?), a fairy Godmother, a dwarf, a hare, and
Danny
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
A clever book with heaps of funny references to fairy tale characters, and excellent vivid illustrations. That princess sure can drive! And do donuts.
Mary Lee
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best part (besides the classic Santat illustrations) are the verbs Angleberger uses as the Princess leaves all the fairytale characters in the dust.
Deana Metzke
This is a great quick book for kids who are familiar with a wide variety of fairy tale characters, otherwise I don't think the reader will enjoy it as much.
Serenity
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute picture book about a princess who refused to give up. The text is funny (a lot of puns related to nursery rhymes, I hope younger readers will get them all) and the illustrations are vibrant and attractive.
Bethe
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Girl power/princess power abounds in this come from behind racing story! Love all the fairy tale characters and how they are passed with verbs to match their situation/character traits. This could make or break a read aloud, depending on audience fairy tale background. Ending falls flat, I don’t think I get it. Be sure to check out the case cover art!
Katie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Dynamic illustrations and loads of intertextual references!
Liz Todd
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dan Santat for the win here. Love that rainbow trail behind the Princess!!
Todd Glaeser
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Great artwork by Dan Santat, but the story leaves a bit to be desired.
orangerful
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, but I feel like this would have been more fun if it had a little bit more story and a little less fairy tale name dropping. I wanted to know more about Princess' skills!
Khansa Baig
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the final lap of a turbo-charged car race, the Princess has to make a pit stop. According to her Fairy Godmother she is in last place and has no chance of winning so she might as well give up.

Presented as a race commentary, the excitement builds rapidly in this anarchic tale of a feisty, indomitable young princess. With full-colour graphics in the style of a computer game or comic book, it’s the pictures that do much of the storytelling in a celebration of both girl power and horsepower
Shallowreader VaVeros
Great illustrations but a tad boring, IMO. But a kid might like it better.
Anoush
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: princess, childrens, jmrl
Fantastic illustrations, not much conflict ( I know it's a kid book, but it's even light for that).
Alyssa Calhoun
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Pictures were awesome; text, meh.
Krysta
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
A princess in a car race refuses to give up. The illustrations are overwhelming and the bulk of the test are clever ways to say how she passes/defeats each of the other fairy tale race car drivers. It doesn't feel very original or memorable. It's simply not enough to put a princess in a race car and say it's clever because "princesses don't typically drive race cars." A good story is required, too.
Pam
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Santat's illustrations are bright and colorful to support the story line. The princess learns she's in last place in the final lap of the race when she makes her pit stop. She could have given up but decided to show determination and try to win the race. She passes all of the other fairy tale characters in the race and does win.
The story line was weaker than I expected.
Margaret
Here's the thing -- I didn't like this book because I just don't get cars. I really like this illustrator, and yet, all the cars looked the same (for the most part), and the way the characters were rendered didn't make me want to look at them. Why should I care about this car race? Does that matter? I'm not sure. This book just isn't a book for me, but it will deservedly appeal to others.
Polly
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Seems cute but kind of pointless. I'm all for princesses being race car drivers, don't get me wrong, but I guess I was expecting a point, or a snappy conclusion or something, and there doesn't seem to be one.
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
A princess drives in a race with nursery rhyme & fairytale characters. Unfortunately, nothing actually happens.
Maryanne
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute illustrations but pretty light on story. There are much better feminist picture books out there.
Lindsey
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh. Nothing really happened. The illustrations were fun but didn't carry the book.
Cute idea, but there was no plot, just the princess driving her race car past all the fairy-tale / nursery rhyme characters. Santat's illustrations are the best part of this.
Sandy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
You could really feel the energy inside this children’s book with its bright, bold illustrations and the words the author chose to include in this text. It’s a wonder that the Princess decided to continue with the race, after what her Fairy Godmother told when she made a pit stop. The Fairy Godmother informed the Princess that she only had one lap to go in the race but the real problem was, the Princess was already in last place before she stopped.

As the announcer gave a play-by-play of the
Christina Carter
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
You don't tell this princess that she is in last place and think that she's not going to do something about it! She's got what it takes to put the pedal to the metal and get the job done. A pit stop won't slow her down for long. Watch her kick it into gear for the win! Passing all of the legends on the track. Watch out Humpty Dumpty! Don't look now Rumpelstiltskin! Move over Snow White. Because this princess is determined to finish the race, not in last, but first place! She is driven to succeed ...more
Laurie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 2.8

When you are losing do you give up? Never! Princess made a pit stop and found out that she is in last place with only one lap to go. The odds are not in her favor but does she give up? No! She hits the gas and starts to go. She passes Humpty Dumpty, all the king's horses, and all the king's men. She passed the Wicked Witches, Hansel & Gretel, Sleeping Beauty, the Seven Dwarfs, and even Snow White. The Ugly Stepsisters stand between her and the finish
Tasha
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In a car race, the princess is forced to pull off for a pit stop to refuel. While in the pit stop, she is told that she is in last place with only one lap to go. Maybe it is time to give up? But instead she hits the gas. Car by car, she moves up through the ranks, passing different fairy tale characters along the way. Narrated by the Frog Prince speaking into a mic, the excitement builds. She goes over Tom Thumb and under the giant. She zooms past other characters like the Big Bad Wolf, the ...more
Kate
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-2nd grade
The illustrations are vibrant and alive with movement and humor. The vocabulary to describe the princess passing her competitors is a lot of fun (blew the doors off the wolf, charged past the knight, honked at the golden goose). It gets a little old and the ending felt flat. She wins, gets photos taken, hosts a party and now there's a dance competition.

As always, I peeked under the cover (or maybe I should say under the hood for this race book) and found different art and a hidden quote from
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Inky the Octopus
  • Neck & Neck
  • Melia and Jo
  • Good Rosie
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • The Little Red Fort
  • Mia Mayhem Is a Superhero!
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • The Bagel King
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Stealing the Sword: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #1)
  • The Great Cheese Robbery (Pocket Pirates #1)
  • The New Kid (The Alien Next Door, #1)
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • The Rough Patch
Tom Angleberger artist-turned-writer. He is a columnist for the Roanoke Times in Roanoke, Virginia, and began work on his first book while in middle school. Tom is married to author-illustrator Cece Bell. He lives in Christianburg, Virginia.