Start by marking “Jane Austen Lied to Me” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen Lied to Me

Jane Austen Lied to Me

What college girl and Jane Austen fan doesn't dream of meeting Mr. Darcy? Lizzie was certainly no exception. But when Darcy Fitzwilliam comes into her life, he turns out to be every bit as aggravating and arrogant as Elizabeth Bennett's Fitzwilliam Darcy. So what's a modern girl to think, except, "How could my hero be so wrong?
Published September 25th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen Lied to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen Lied to Me

Amy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen Lied to Me is my first introduction to Jeanette Watts’s writing. Wow! She is a good writer. I found this book to be quite entertaining with so many laugh out loud moments. If her other books are this much fun, I want to go back and read them. Hoping to in the near future.
I give Jane Austen Lied to Me 4 stars and recommend it for those who love a good laugh.
I received this book from the author. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Jennifer Macaire
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a Jane Austin fan, I couldn’t pass this up! The story isn’t about Jane, but it’s about her characters and the plots of all her books are cleverly woven into a modern tale of a young woman who is searching for herself. Elizabeth has always been called Beth, much to her chagrin. As a Jane Austin fan, she’d much rather be called Lizzie, so when she leaves for college, she takes the opportunity to reinvent herself. I liked Lizzie – she’s determined, frank, fun, and yet fragile. And she wants to f ...more
Scarlett Ian
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun book to read! Lizzie Barrett is a Janeite; she loves all things Jane Austen and often finds herself comparing real life to her favorite books. But she quickly realizes that reality isn’t like her books and there is no script for life. The tears, heartache and soul-searching she does throughout this book make the story very relatable to readers.

I am a big fan of the classic novels by Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, etc. I felt like I could really relate to Lizzie’s character b
Janice Cafarelli
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. At first I thought it was a good teen girl read BUT as I continued it became "I remember when" book. Lizzie was heading off to college hoping to find and reinvent herself . The only problem was although her family and friends tried to tell her not to she based all her experiences and relationship on Jane Austen novels. Written in a journal format we read about the many mishaps of living this way until Lizzie decides on her own to give up her beloved Jane Austen's vi ...more
Donna
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read!

As a fan of Jane Austen and an Anglophile (yes, I have been to Jane's grave at Winchester Cathedral!) this book was right up my alley. It was a bright, entertaining read. I also like that it was from Lizzie's point of view and I could easily hear her telling her own story, albeit from Jane's perspective. A unique form of storytelling. Hmmmm, maybe Jeanette's next book should be about the Brontë sisters, or a spin-off of Barchester Towers?
C. Gonzales
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, fiction
Watts has really nailed this genre. I absolutely her quick witt and comedic relief. She writes the perfect novels to get lost for a while and they are always light hearted which some times you really need!

I loved the theme of this novel. The setting and the heart of it are something most everyone can relate to on some level. Watts spins the things we know and gives us hope and humor to combat the deeper elements.
Samantha Turley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: satire, humor
This novel really managed to pack a very witty and fun punch. She has written the perfect novel to get lost for a while and it is very light hearted which some times you really need!
I loved the theme of this novel. If you are looking for a laugh out loud funny and quick read, this is definitely for you.
Gina Stamper
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Fun and fresh! I loved the wit and humor Jeanette Watts brought to her novel and characters.
I was very happy with everything I learned and how easy it was to follow. There was an emotional element to this novel that coincides with the title.

This was just an overall authentic read with a feel good read undertone.
Jackie Rogers
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture a young lady in her first year of college. She has read all of Jane Austen's books many times. She finds herself judging all relationships by these stories. She gets in lots of trouble with this technique. Is a fun read with characters to both like and dislike. Thanks to Goodreads.
Bailey Ember
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I seriously enjoyed this novel and how it was written in such a whimsical way.

This was just a great escape of a read!
Donna
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a delightful, fun, and entertaining read. I really enjoyed this book!
Ryan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a fun little read and a fun "walk down memory lane." Jane Austen does lie, but she lies so beautifully and satirically. It's impossible to stay mad at her.
Katie B
Life isn't always like a Jane Austen novel, as college freshman Lizzie soon finds out. She keeps comparing the men she meets at school to her favorite literary characters and most don't seem to measure up. But as Lizzie struggles to figure out what she really wants in life, the answer might be staring at her right in the face.

What a simple but charming read! While the character of Lizzie could have easily been a cliché, there was a little bit of quirkiness and an independent streak that sets he
Janice Cafarelli
Nov 05, 2017
Emily
Nov 06, 2017
Jeanette Watts
Nov 15, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A
Eileen Boyce
Donna Porter
Kayla Klontz
Jan 28, 2018
Jeanette Watts is a writer, dancer, seamstress, actress, fencer, video producer, and teacher. There aren't enough hours in the day to fit it all in. But she tries.