Start by marking “Jackrabbit Smile” as Want to Read:
Jackrabbit Smile

Jackrabbit Smile

(Hap and Leonard #12)

Meet Hap and Leonard, the unlikely detective duo now on screen in the highly praised series starring James Purefoy, Michael K. Williams and Christina Hendricks.

'Reading Joe R. Lansdale is like listening to a favorite uncle who just happens to be a fabulous storyteller' Dean Koontz

Hap and Leonard are an unlikely pair - Hap, a self-proclaimed white trash rebel, and Leona

Published March 22nd 2018 by Mulholland Books

To ask other readers questions about Jackrabbit Smile, please sign up.
Alejandro Rodriguezson I would say you can jump into the Hap & Leonard series at any point, as Lansdale does a great job of "reminding" the reader about past experiences, ch…moreI would say you can jump into the Hap & Leonard series at any point, as Lansdale does a great job of "reminding" the reader about past experiences, characters bios, etc. in each book if it is relevant to the story/scene. You can definitely enjoy any and all of them in completely random order -- however, I would highly suggest starting from the beginning and going chronologically because some of the jokes, dialogue, and references to other adventures between the characters are much more enjoyable when you have prior knowledge of them. It is really a series that you'll have fun with from book 1 on, and they are a super quick read due to all the jam-packed action!(less)

Start your review of Jackrabbit Smile
Karl
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Hokey Smoke Bullwinkle’ Joe R. Lansdale’s new book “Jack Rabbit Smile” certainly shows that the man is still capable of writing a compelling Hap and Leonard novel. The last few books have certainly not been up to par. They contained some good stuff, however not, in my humble opinion, what they could have been.

For those who don’t know, Hap and Leonard are a couple of lifelong friends who now work for Hap’s new wife Brett in a detective agency. In this installment they are hired by a couple of wh
Dan Schwent
When a white supremicist and his mother show up at Brett's detective agency, Hap and Leonard are conflicted but agrees to track down Jackrabbit, the missing sister/daughter. Marvel Creek is on its way to being segregated and Hap and Leonard run afoul of The Professor, the mastermind behind it all. Will Hap and Leonard be able to bring Jackrabbit home alive?

Hap and Leonard are up to their old tricks, cracking wise and generally pissing off the bad guys until everything errupts in a hornet's nest
Char
Hap and Leonard return to Hap's hometown of Marvel Creek in Joe Lansdale's latest release JACKRABBIT SMILE.

This time around our heroes are hired by a man and his mother to find their missing sister/daughter. The relationship between Hap, Leonard and Brett and their new clients isn't a good one, since both the man and his mom are openly prejudiced against any and all who aren't white. Which, of course, doesn't sit well with Leonard. Will the dynamic duo find the missing girl? Will the people who
Truman32
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jackrabbit Smile is the 12th book in the Hap and Leonard series, but the first I have read. Now with your first time, you want it all to be special and gentle, with a lot of candles, patchouli incense, maybe some Barry White playing over the speakers and a fair amount of canoodling and spooning after. Unfortunately, that is not what author Joe R. Lansdale had in store for me with Jackrabbit Smile. He was fast. He was rough. He did not seem to care about my feelings at all. With this book, Lansda ...more
Trish
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hal & Leonard series is full up with crazy male bravado and vulnerability, pressing hard on our moral, sexual, and racial understanding until we squeeze out a guffaw and decide to fall for these guys sitting on our faces. These two take on challenges others would let fall into a fast-flowing river, and now that the series has become a regular gig on Sundance Channel as an Original Series, starring America’s own brilliant, tough-seeming, and comedic Michael Kenneth Williams and British star J ...more
Ronald Koltnow
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
To be published by Mulholland Books on 27 March 2018
One of the best Hap and Leonard yarns in years. Our intrepid duo are hired by white supremacists to find a young woman who has gone missing. Technically, she had left home years before, but there has been no trace of her for months. Their investigation takes them to Marvel Creek, Hap's home town and one where is remembered, sometimes fondly. What they find is a town held in thrall by a town boss, one with a social engineering philosophy that do
Brice
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hap and Leonard..... are there two more likable characters in fiction? For me, it's a short list of truly memorable characters but Joe Lansdale's good ol' boys from East Texas are on the top of the pile and, with every book produced, my love for them grows.
JACKRABBIT SMILE, the latest in the ongoing series, follows the formula of the series with Hap and Leonard taking on a case, this time a missing woman, which spirals into something a bit darker and sinister.
The novel, like anything Lansdale c
Marvin
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autographed, mystery
After reading 13 novels and a handful of short stories and novellas about Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, I do not just feel like I know them . I'm feeling like I am a part of their East Texas town. Hap and Leonard would be the two guys my parents would tell me to steer clear of and the first person they would call, reluctantly, if they got into a jam. As police chief Marvin Hansen would say, they are assholes and hardheads but he would trust them with his life.

Jackrabbit Smile has all the fixings
Robert James
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt like this one got back to the Hap and Leonard from a few years ago. Lots of one-liners and violence and who cares what the mystery is. The ending is a little anti climatic however.
Nick
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You really can't go wrong with Lansdale and his Hap and Leonard series. An always reliable good time.
Lynn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A few hours well-spent studying the adventures of Hap and Leonard makes for a happy reader. Another good one....and that Leonard.
Craig Sisterson
Although I've had some Lansdale books on my TBR shelves for a little while, I first experienced his riveting, quirky world via the screen drama Hap and Leonard. Adapted from his first three books in his long-running series, that stars James Purefoy and Michael K. Williams as the seemingly mismatched pair of lifelong best friends. It's a great show - full of action, humour, intrigue, memorable characters, social issues and more - and it's well worth visiting the original material.

Lansdale has bee
Daniel Sevitt
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
This is a particularly misanthropic entry in the series. Hap & Leonard do their thing and they're reliably amusing while doing it. This time, they have a client they don't like and they're looking for a missing girl mixed up with a whole bunch of people they don't like and who don't like them back just as hard.

No one comes out of this a winner. Everyone gets what's coming to them. As Leonard says, "No one dies well."

Terse, messy and ugly. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gary Branson
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first novel by Lansdale, won’t be my last. Fast plot and good story, short and to the point. Well done.
Helen White
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, crime, thriller
I like Hap and Leonard. They get an investigation to do and next thing you know Hap's being hit with a chair and Leonard is doing what he does best - making everyone uncomfortable and threatening to kill them. This is a nice little book but it is little and the ending comes round fast.
Ian
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love the Hap & Leonard stories. Joe R Lansdale, speaking as Hap, has a wonderful lyrical style, telling stories of horror, racism, poverty, revenge and true evil with a lyrical, poetic voice and laugh out loud dialogue as a bonus. I've now binge read them all and hope we get more, even as the pair get older.

Do yourself a favour, read them all in order.
Mike
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Jackrabbit Smile" is number 12 in the Hap and Leonard series of books, but it's the first "new" Hap and Leonard novel I've read in a while. I wasn't overly thrilled by "Rusty Puppy" or "Jackrabbit Smile," I'm sorry to say. I've been catching up on all the earlier Hap and Leonard novels recently--binge-reading, if you will.

As I was reading "Jackrabbit Smile," I noticed a lot of similarities to "The Two-Bear Mambo"--both the novel and the TV show. The subject of a town overrun by pernicious raci
Thomas
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2018
I've been reading Joe Lansdale and Hap & Leonard for over twenty years now, and I expect I'll keep reading him and this series until he stops writing. He's a natural storyteller with a knack for plotting, and even when I read a mediocre Lansdale story, I still enjoy it.

Unfortunately, Jackrabbit Smile is a mediocre book. It's solid enough, but it's hardly the best in the series, nor is it the best Lansdale has to offer. It lacks the zing of his other books, partly because it's missing the wacky c
Soukyan Blackwood
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About: Hap and Leonard weren’t all too pleased to accept a job from a white supremacists couple. They came to them as last resort, bringing in a handful of family along, expressed their displeasure of Leonard being black (little did they know, he’s gay too), and their grief over their missing daughter. She disappeared soon after giving birth to a black baby, and they no longer expect to see her alive. They merely want to
Michelle
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lansdale is one of my favorite authors and this Hap and Leonard tale didn’t disappoint. Full of social justice promoting talk, asskicking and the snappy one-liners I always look forward to, this mystery involved some new characters along with all of my favorites. Don’t want to ruin any of the surprises, but if you like the show (which I’m praying gets picked up by someone else now that Sundance nixed it), check the books out. Jackrabbit was an interesting plot to follow, and I liked Hap and Leon ...more
Deb
Crude, crass, and unsophisticated: that's what I think about this book. It was my first Hap and Leonard book. The good things: At times it was mildly entertaining. It's quick and easy to read. And I like mysteries. Even so, I don't think I'll read anymore Hap and Leonard mystery novels. I only picked this up because it's one of my library's books of the month. The other is another book by Lansdale, maybe another Hap and Leonard book. I think I'll pass.
Ryan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Hap and Leonard series. Though not always consistent, in length or in content, they are always a really great read. This is no exception. It's short and it takes a little while to get going, but there's a lot of fun to be had here. Plenty of twists and turns and a nice dose of mega violence. Lansdale may pull a few punches, and I would have loved to see a much more brutal fight with the twins, but this is some classic Hap and Leonard mayhem.

This book also has a pretty dark final chap
Viccy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hap Collins and Brett Sawyer are celebrating their marriage after years together. Everyone they know has showed up to party down. But the party is interrupted by two potential clients who are searching for their missing daughter and sister. Hap and Leonard Pine do not want to work for the two racists, but Brett convinces them to go to Marvel Creek and investigate the girl's disappearance because it is the right thing to do. As they investigate it becomes clear that all is not well in Hap's home ...more
Nigel
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The TV show might be canceled but the books go on, raucous and vulgar and violent but also tenderhearted and foerce in their anger at injustice and blind hatred.

Hired, despite the unmissable presence of a homicidally disgusted Leonard, by a pair of white supremacists to find a missing young woman, PI boss, and now Hap's wife, Brett dispatch the pair to their old hometown to track her down, inevitable disturbing the usual ant's nests of unpleasant types. Drama unfolds, as you might expect.

With
Donald
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Is this about Jackie or is it about black and white relations, and exactly why have we become the target for an ass whipping when we’re merely asking about a missing lady who turns out to be good at math and is a little kooky?”

Well, that about sums up the plot to this here tale! Another good read and another fine Hap and Leonard novel! The duo get hired by a couple of racists to find Jackie, the gal with the bucktoothed smile. Leads to a whole lotta other characters, and the usual Hap and Leona
Tiger
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another rollicking good ride with Hap and Leonard as the boys are hired to find a 20-something woman nicknamed "Jackrabbit". Along the way they encounter a bizarre preacher.....who talks about an even more bizarre preacher that he replaced, loads of racists, someone who calls himself Professor, another one called Ace and 2 thugs simply known as the Twins. Filled with the usual humor and hijinks of any Hap and Leonard, this was a fun read.
Bruce
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, adventure
A good solid story, lots of twists and turns. Hap and Leonard have lots of run ins with bad folks while trying to find a young woman who's gone missing. The ending was definitely a surprise.

I'm always a bit loath to give 3 stars, but that means I liked it - better than average. Certainly a fun read!
Paul
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read every book and short story in the Hap and Leonard series but I think it is time to retire it.
This should have been a short story and considering it is 230ish pages it basically is. But worse is the fact that there isn’t much of a story. All of the characters are overblown stereotypes and the author has become overly politically correct to justify the behavior of the worst of them.
At this rate I expect the next book to be Hap and Leonard go grocery shopping.
Burt
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, there were times when it was laugh out funny and times when it was considerably darker. Lansdale if a fine writer with a great ear and a facility for dialogue. Hap and Leonard are great characters and a pair of real characters. They would be hard not to like if you met them.

Lansdale is a great story teller and he knows how to pull readers in and keep them guessing until they end. In this instance even if you've figured out the ending, well, you haven't. It's a really fun read
Thekelburrows
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five-star fun but also some hogs eat a bad guy so...
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dead Girl Blues
  • The Sinners (Quinn Colson, #8)
  • Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1)
  • The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)
  • Lay Down My Sword And Shield (Hackberry Holland, #1)
  • Cinemah presenta: Il buio colpisce ancora
  • The Outfit (Parker, #3)
  • Diabolica Britannica: A Dark Isles Horror Compendium
  • Hold Your Breath, China (An Inspector Chen mystery Book 10)
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson, #10)
  • Atlanta Deathwatch (Hardman #1)
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • Stoker's Wilde
  • Palm Beach Blues (Charlie Crawford Palm Beach Mysteries #9)
  • The New Iberia Blues (Dave Robicheaux #22)
  • In the Galway Silence (Jack Taylor, #14)
  • Some Die Nameless
  • The Hunted
Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe R. Lansdale is the author of over forty novels and numerous short stories. His work has appeared in national anthologies, magazines, and collections, as well as numerous foreign publications. He has written for comics, television, film, newspapers, and Internet sites. His work has been collected in more than two dozen short-story collections, and he has edited or co-e ...more

Hap and Leonard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Bad Chili
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Captains Outrageous (Hap and Leonard, #6)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Honky Tonk Samurai