Start by marking “Ship It!” as Want to Read:

Ship It!

Ship It! is a collection of tips that show the tools and techniques a successful project team has to use, and how to use them well. You'll get quick, easy-to-follow advice on modern practices: which to use, and when they should be applied. This book avoids current fashion trends and marketing hype; instead, readers find page after page of solid advice, all tried and tested ...more
Published June 8th 2005 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ship It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ship It!

Start your review of Ship It!
Doug
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Asinine, unambitious, narrow, incomplete. Some of the groundbreaking advice contained herein:

- Sort your work by priority and do the highest priority ones first.
- Do a high-level class design before you write object-oriented code.
- Adhere to standard object-oriented encapsulation.
- Talk to other developers about how your code needs to fit into theirs.
- You should test your code changes before you go live.
- Have you about this new "source control" thing?

Here's a direct quote:
"Don’t have much mon
Aleksander
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it
"Ship It! A Practical Guide to Successful Software Projects" by Jared Richardson and William Gwaltney Jr. is a bit of mixed bag. There is good stuff in there, but the book tries to be too much and as a consequence it is at times too sketchy and incomplete. In addition the authors prescribe techiques that are not always appropriate.

The book covers three software engineering topics: tools, project techniques and a methodology. The chapter on tools and infrastructure is solid. They recommend that y
Sang Tran
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Demian
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I saw Jared Richardson speak. He's a great speaker but he seemed to indicate that scrum wasn't really such a solid winner in the agile methodology space when the book was written. This is apparent as he seems to take some ideas from scrum when I would personally prefer to just do scrum.

He does a good job of tying together scrum, XP, agile and all around good practices.
Eugene Zharkov
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Practical handbook that help team to move from dark side to light and become a jedi. Most important thing is sharing authors expirience that based on a work in different companies with different sizes. After you have read this book you will understand not only the weak points of your development organization process but can change situation in the right direction.
Sundarraj Kaushik
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Ship It!

A collection of lessons learned by various developers in the trenches. The book starts off with a quote of Aristotle "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.". The book strengthens this argument by stating "Extraordinary products are merely side effects of good habits.". So the first tip of the book is "Choose your habits". Do not follow something just because it is popular or well known or is practised by others around you.

The author says that there a
Roman Kashitsyn
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though some pieces of advice in this book do look obvious in 2019, you'll most likely find a couple of good and simple ideas that can make you more focused and productive (I found "The List" particularly useful for my environment).

A very good help for newly converted team/tech leads. Even teams working for the most successful tech giants and enjoying using state-of-the-art infrastructure can benefit from adopting some of the practices presented in this book. My team definitely can.
Dmytro Chasovskyi
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
This book contains short guide and many extremely practical advises. I do think that some of them should be substituted with newer list of CI systems and etc., BUT advises themselves not outdated at all. I highly recommend to read this book for people who has legacy code to work with or projects that are in the stale state.
Jahongir Rahmonov
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book but very old and most of the suggestions have already become de facto standard in the industry. Thus 4 stars.
Anthony Deluca
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Ship It!
By: Jared Richardson and William Gwaltney Jr.
Copyright 2007
Reviewed January 2008 by Anthony DeLuca

I originally perceived Ship It! to be different than it turned out. I expected the book to be geared towards how to ship complex software suites that contained multiple products. Perhaps it is because that was the information I was looking for at the time! It turns out Ship It! is a very basic book that gives a broad overview of modern “grass roots based” software development practices. I de
Julie
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very pleasant read, presenting a lot of simple but powerful ideas on how to make the software development process run more smoothly. With no unnecessary complexity in both the writing style and the concepts being described, it becomes easy to see how and why the ideas fit together, how they would help improve the quality of the product and of the overall process, and because every tool or technique remain "simple" many actually feel implementable (because they are!). The book includes strategi ...more
Johnny
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is a great reminder of all the things one should do to get high quality software out of the door. It is however not really a book for novice and junior programmers. For them it will let too much questions unanswered. And those developers who are delivering software for a few years may know it already. If you fall in the spot between and want to grow then this book is a great help.

Especially the chapters on automating your build from day one or how to get to a realistic project schedul
Geoffrey
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
It's a relatively solid primer to software development process, tools and techniques. It would be most useful if you were either inexperienced or came through a background of teams without much in the way of formal process, training and experience.

An experienced software developer with a good grasp of current processes and tools isn't likely to learn a lot. I found myself somewhat bored even skimming it, although I mostly agreed with what I read, there just wasn't enough new to really grab me.

Th
William Anderson
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ship it! Is a highly accessible quick read with a warm tone. The last 10 years however have aged it tremendously. While the sections on how to communicate with managers still hold up well, a majority of the book is about practices for managing software development in the general sense, and the reader in 2016 would better be served by picking up a specific book on their preferred methodology. Other sections talking about the merits of version control no longer need convincing in the professional ...more
Richard
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
A bit redundant for me to read this after reading Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World. This was a lot less technical and probably better suited to non-developers. It does a good job of explaining the tools and processes of a successful development team, with a very in depth look at Tracer Buller Development. The Tip Summary and the Reading List are also both useful. ...more
John
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This was a sort of text book for a tech training we did in house. There's lots of good tips and reminders in here, and the discussion of Trace Bullet Development offers some valuable insights. The tool talk gets a bit dated these days, but he didn't waste much time on it before getting back to the generic considerations of choosing your tools. I also greatly appreciated the talk of the "personalities" in a team.
Nick Gotch
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book about the tools that make software development easier and more successful as well as how to use them. I recommend this book to any serious software devs out there and and dev shops looking to boost their productivity.
Nathan Glenn
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has very practical advice and is an extremely quick read. It details several types of tools and techniques to get things done. The overall philosophy of the authors to make things automatic, minimize risk, and correctly order priorities.
James
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be a bit simple. A lot of the advice, while good, seems to be aimed at teams who are not already using good practices such as build machines and automation. I found very little of it interesting or useful.
Benjamin Reitzammer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very nice read, which although it seems very dated sometimes, provides a holistic approach to a very pragmatic software development process. I especially liked, that the process is so simple but even more effective because of that.
Wish I had read it sooner.
Dennis
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sound and reasonable advice. These are the basics pretty much every developer should be aware of. Nothing new though, if you're familiar with agile practices. I don't really like their Tracer Bullet Development (neither the term nor the process) but that's probably just a matter of taste.
Gonçalo
Sep 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Good, but very "lite".
Robert
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
Very good book. Guides a software developer through the agile process. Provides plenty of examples to convince the practitioner to deliver software in a timely, proper, & correct manner. ...more
Dru Sellers
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
A+
Ronald
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Very readable and useful book. My favorite chapter is Tracer Bullet Development. Just re-read it and still find the information to be very useful. The TBD chapter is still on of my favorites.
Rudi
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Damn good read. Definitely going to implement a lot of what the book says, in my style of working.
Steven
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for the first-time software manager.
Christian
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
If you're doing modern software development, you're already doing much of what this book professes. The value the book brought me is that it motivates a lot of the practices. But that's about it.
Carl
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not sure exactly how many times I've read this book but its at least 4 times I'm currently on page 100 out of 197.

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Clean Architecture
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »