Start by marking “The Warrior Within” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Within

The Warrior Within

Angus McIntyre makes his debut with The Warrior Within, a mind-bending science fiction adventure about a man with many people living in his head.

Karsman has a dozen different people living in his head, each the master of a different set of skills and hoping to gain mastery of Karsman’s body. He survives on a backwater planet dominated by the Muljaddy, a mostly ambivalent r
Published March 6th 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Within

Start your review of The Warrior Within
Ozsaur
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What caught my interest about this book was the idea of a man having 12 different people inside his head. I wasn't disappointed, but I figure a lot of people might be. They're not exactly fully realized people, but more like... memory modules that do a specific thing, with a bit of personality tacked on to some of them. If you're looking for 12 individuals, you might be disappointed.

I enjoyed it. There's an interesting plot that is resolved at the end, but still open ended in a way that didn't b
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grrr. I was hoping this would be an epic tale. Something with shades of Joe Abercrombie, and some humor, and some conflict within Karsman over the personas. But I finished it and said, aloud (annoying my almost asleep husband in the process), "What? That's it?? Eh." I woke up the next morning and thought of it again, and thought, "That would have been a better short story."
Tim Hicks
There's some promise here, but ... I've read several novellas lately that were perfect at that length. This one seems to be undecided about whether it should be a short story or a novel, and I'm fairly sure that novella is the one length that is wrong for it.

Gosh, another book set on a dusty future planet with scraps of past tech and a road circling the planet. No giant trains this time, but the Temples are close. But it's OK, this one stays away from the many plots I've seen on such planets.
Ryan Laferney
If you crave sci-fi and fantasy, look no further than Tor.com’s line of novellas. The Warrior Within (the debut novella by Angus Mcintyre) is one of the new titles from Tor to be published this year. Set in a futuristic desert like world scattered with remnants of past civilizations (which the population survives off of), The Warrior Within is a mind-bending science fiction adventure about a man named Karsman with many people living within his head. Karsman had basic modification surgery when h ...more
Kim Ward
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun story and a different world McIntyre has created. I, myself, and forever fond of desert type worlds, thanks to Frank Herbert, and the labyrinth structure of the dead city in the book is interesting, though I would have liked a bit shorter run through the maze like structures...
Nadja Miller
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novella. Because of the size (about 170 pages) there was not as great character development as there would be in a full novel. That being said the few characters we were introduced to were interesting. There was an element of mystery/ suspense throughout that was enjoyable. What I really loved was the world building. The author took his time with it and left me wanting to know more.
Danielle N
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review mini review may also be found on BVT

I think we have established that I am a huge fan of Tor.com. When it comes to short stories and novellas, they bring one of the biggest "A" you can find on the market. If you crave sci-fi and fantasy, you will find it. The Warrior Within is no exception.

Set in a futuristic world scattered with remnants of past civilizations, we meet Karsman. He is a man of many talents. Talents which can each be attributed to the multiple personas living within him
brian
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three men cross the wastelands to a strip town along the Road. They've come to kill a woman. The only person seemingly in their way is unofficial mayor Karsman. Officially Not in Charge, but Karsman's brain houses multiple personalities that could mean the difference between life and death for the hunted.

While not going to thrill many, The Warrior Within is a competent novel. It's short, but rarely strays from its compact plot, while still developing a world and characters in it. Karsman gets th
Pallav
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short and immensely entertaining read. It seems that this book was not written with pen on paper, but with a scalpel, mercilessly cutting away all the unnecessary things in a story, leaving pure movement of narrative, intrigue, and action. All the while giving the reader a glimpse into a world that is as alien and mystical as the characters in the book.

There is no hand-holding in the book. You are put into a world that is seen through the lead character Karsman's eyes. There were several poin
Michael Stokes
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it.

Single skill artificial intelligences grafted onto a human mind, I'm hooked. 5 or more intelligent skills grafted into a human mind, great, except the human does not have the capacity to hold them all so memories and experiences must be deleted, wow. The second law of thermodynamics in action, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The ending is a mystery, are the skills deleted? Are they now integrated into one persona? Does our hero now have mastery of those skills? We don't know, unt
Kend
Tor.com blew me away with this, yet another stellar (heh heh) addition to its ever-expanding shelf novellas, set on a planet where the sun never rises, never sets, and never gives us an excuse to yawn with boredom. This is also Angus McIntyre's debut, which feels wrong, somehow; the world-weary voice of Karsman (and the many others who inhabit his mind) doesn't so much feel like it's been adopted for the moment as it does a fixed feature of this nightless waste, populated by people who never sto ...more
Andrea
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, tor-com
This was just ok, which is so disappointing given how cool the concept and set-up were. The main character was interesting to begin with, but then even he became dull and somewhat boring. The twist at the end, came out of nowhere and not in a good way, more in a this barely makes sense and has zero impact on me kinda way. I think this is a case of too many ideas and not enough space to properly execute. I don't think when I look back at this at the end of this year, that I'll be able to remember ...more
Pieter
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed this book. Tor has been publishing some fantastic worlds with their novella line, and this is no exception. The book tugs you along perfectly, giving you just what you need, when you need it, to remain intrigued. I love the idea of exploring these little backwater cultures, with glimpses of this huge space opera backdrop. Karsman's a great character, and I hope to see him again, but I REALLY want McIntyre to take us on as many tours through his universe as he can write.
Sudhir
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Did not live up to expectations. Could have been better.
1. A novel world but with not much detail. Too many questions about the world left unanswered.
2. Had a very surprising end but the author failed to create enough interest in the middle to really create an impact (more of a "Oh really" rather than "Wow").
3. Non of the personalities with actually helped the hero except the Warrior and that too a few times. All the rest were used just in conversations.
Cook Memorial Public Library
A 2018 staff favorite recommended by Vanessa. Check our catalog: https://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore... ...more
Brandie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story is about a man with multiple personas downloaded into his brain that runs away from his employer/patron/owner/whatever to live in a dusty strip-town away from the center of the planet's ruling body/near gods of the Muljaddy.

After living a relatively quiet life there for twelve years, a lilac haired woman enters his life and three off-world soldiers enter the town to find some woman and kill her. Lots of nothing really consequential happens and there's a twist at the end and what? I don
Lucille
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
2,5/5
Neither good nor bad so I guess the average rating is right!
While this was not a bad story, I have to admit I was bored the whole time. It's just not one for me.
I wish there would have been more on the different personas in Karsman, though I liked that there was an explanation for them. For the most part they are more like a set of skills than real persons like you could find in Legion by Sanderson.
The worldbuilding was well handed, you can feel the author knows what he's talking about an
Cam
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
One of the weaker of a bunch of recent novellas I've read; a debut by McIntyre featuring a future dominated by artificial intelligences with interstellar influence. Our titular warrior is a down-and-out former courtier living a precarious life in a western-style town serving as an unofficial mayor. His world is a series of towns and villages following a road girding the whole planet, with some mobile temples and abandoned cities along it that are scavenged mostly by regular humans. He's not quit ...more
Matt Ward
I've been trying to read one Tor "best of the year so far" books a month. While both have been good, I'm concerned if this is the best we can do. (At least I can console myself that those lists are just propaganda to get people to buy Tor books).

The concept of this was good. It just had nothing to go with it. The descriptions were sparse. The plot didn't have a lot of forward motion. I'm not sure what else to say. Even a short novella needs more than good worldbuilding and a good concept to keep
Bart
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Very fun little book that follows a main character with an interesting past that gets unveiled along the way, and a mind filled with multiple specialized personalities. The world that we get to know more about as the story unfolds (with a nice twist or two towards the end), is full of mystery and deserves to be filled with more stories.
Jeff
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was a very highly rated novella, but I think it was all that good. The story had certainly some clever ideas in the ending was good, but it seem to be under regular and confused throughout the middle. For a short novel it was long and places and under developed at times as well.
Vintagebooklvr
2 1/2 stars. An interesting idea but I would have actually liked more of the personas to have shown up. I also wish the end would have shown a little bit of what happened next, if not with Karsman, the planet.
Maria
What I felt was missing was a proper confrontation between Karsman and some of his personas. While the concept is good, co-existance isnt as interesting to read about as a good old fashioned dramatic fight
Jim
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
A nice little novella. I was a bit confused that the protagonist didn't have more understanding considering his experiences. Still, it was an interesting world. I have this feeling we will be seeing this character again.
Bill
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Fine science fiction book that had a pretty good premise and was instantly forgettable.
Jimmy
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
There's lots of cool ideas in this story which is supplemented by good pacing of rising stakes and action. I look forward to reading more McIntyre stories.
Jericho Eames
This novella was decent at best, there were quite some things that he could have really expanded at but failed to do so, but if he actually has another book in the series I would still buy read it.
Rebecca
Decent novela. The idea is problematic. Great escape scene but it needed more. A whole trip into danger would have been ok read -had the timing and visuals and danger down.
Mya Alexice
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great, quick novel.
James
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fiction
What is Karsman? A strangely simple story about a future filled with large, vast and powerful intellects.

• War Cry
  • Void Black Shadow (Voidwitch Saga, #2)
  • Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)
  • Time Was
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • The Expert System's Brother
  • Good Guys
  • Alice Payne Arrives (Alice Payne, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Forest of Memory
  • Stone Mad (Karen Memory, #2)
  • The Barrow Will Send What it May (Danielle Cain #2)
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • The Freeze-Frame Revolution
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Gunpowder Moon
  • The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain, #1)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...